HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Saturnine's Guide to the Classes *UPDATED for March Patch*

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#61 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 24 2013 - 05:17 AM

I'm leveling Brawler right now. I learned a lot from you. Thanks.

#62 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted July 05 2013 - 01:22 PM

Guide update notes:
  • Updated the Rocketeer entry following the revelation that turret mode auto-locks Hellfires and Seekers.
  • Minor grammatical fixes while I was there.

If you see any problems or omissions with the guide, please let me know so I can keep working to make the guide better! :)

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#63 XenoMorph

XenoMorph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationNY USA

Posted July 13 2013 - 06:09 AM

Saturnines youre such a smart guy, I wish I was a smart guy like you. <3
Posted Image

I usually assume my team-mates are retarded :)

#64 Flagge69

Flagge69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted July 13 2013 - 02:26 PM

how can anyone not like Bruiser_ it has the rockets and a great look ...

#65 thatguythellama

thatguythellama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationOrbiting alpha centauri A, thinking about moving to B, just for a scenery change

Posted July 15 2013 - 05:37 AM

That doesn't make it good...
In keeping with the best airborne tradition of relying on madmen instead of firepower, six of us with one BAR replaced eighteen 79th division doggies with a water cooled .50 and an air cooled .30.
David Webster, E company, Holland, 1945  

#66 Xuande

Xuande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationShai Hulud

Posted August 05 2013 - 05:16 PM

It'd be awesome to have this in video format like with Wolfy's vidz.
Ol' Betsy || CR-T Recruit   Jethro || Raider
Jim Bob || Beserker    Big Bertha || Brawler
Bubba || Bruiser            Billy-Bob || Technician
Bobby-Joe || Reaper
My name is pronounced (Shuahn-duuh) not (Juan-dee).

#67 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 05:53 PM

Welp, now I'm imagining "Meet The" videos for all of the mechs in the style of Team Fortress.

The basic idea has come up before, and I like it, it'd just be a matter of doing it in an actually helpful way, that will also not be dated very much by any future patches. Really, it's the whole "Things could change dramatically" part that has me really reticent to really think about working on such a project at the moment. Otherwise it's dated almost immediately and is no longer useful, or is so generic it doesn't really tell you much that is meaningful. Unless it was truly in the "meet the" style where it's mostly disconnected from game play and only served to tell a funny story.

In any case, I definitely would like to do something like that, it's simply a matter of planning out the videos properly so as to be both entertaining and valuable as a learning tool. Also, I think it'd be really cool if we were able to use footage/have narration/idunno from community members who are especially renowned for their skill in a given class, or are just known to use it particularly often. Like, footage from MexichanMan or something for the Rocketeer video. This also leads to the problem of how my computer is teeerrribbbllleee and I wouldn't be able to record high enough quality footage myself for any of this, so it'd even need another person to do the filming.

Anyway, as much as I would love to do this, I have lots of excuses there are things in the way that make it difficult. Rest assured, however, I would love to do something like that! :)

Edited by Saturnine, September 26 2013 - 02:04 PM.

Posted Image

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#68 nabster

nabster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 02:31 PM

Thank you saturnine , really helpfull :)

#69 OFSI

OFSI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 02:49 PM

I may be pretty new to this, but I do like the way the Rocketeer sounds. I think it'll be worth my time to put the effort in to learn it, sounds like it can be quite the terror on the battle field if used correctly.
Thank you for creating such a handy guide!

#70 Zhoyzu

Zhoyzu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 11:49 PM

Grenadier #1

#71 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 02:04 PM

The Ascension patch notes are here, and that means that the guide to the classes has some patch notes too!

Tuning System
- All mechs have been updated to include their unique Tuning System options.
- There is now a 'Tuning System' section in the guide. Since I can't stick a new post in, it's in the 'Weapons' post, below the weapons section.
- EDIT: Modified the the dodge cooldown section to reflect the change in patch notes; added an extra line or two to the description.
- EDIT:  Armor tuning has been updated to +10 armor per point, rather than 15.
Abilities
- Some mechs' ability sections have been updated to reflect some changes coming with the patch.
- The turret mode 'disclaimer' has been updated to reflect some of the changes made to turret mode. I still think a disclaimer is worth having.
Miscellaneous
- The Assault is different from the CRT now! I updated the Assaults' section to reflect that. The difference is that all of the Secondary System options for the tuning of those mechs are completely different, so you can have an Assault that is truly different from your CRT. Weapons still the same though.

Much shorter than the real patch notes! But that more or less covers it. If you notice any changes I made that aren't reflected here, let me know so I can fix it! If you notice anything in the guide that is no longer true with the Ascension patch, let me know about that too! But I don't think I missed anything. Hopefully all the tuning information you can find here will be helpful to you! :)

Edited by Saturnine, September 04 2013 - 03:25 PM.

Posted Image

#72 ecaflip

ecaflip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationFlying with glorious air dynamics

Posted September 02 2013 - 08:25 PM

Hey Saturnine, now that hawken will be running off of a more broad internal system and new item system, do you think you could list some personally reccomended internals and items to go along side the general class guides_
Posted Image
I'm I'm playing, I'm more than likely streaming. Come watch me at twitch.tv/bugzdood (i wish I had a better twitch name)

#73 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 09:00 PM

ecaflip, on September 02 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Hey Saturnine, now that hawken will be running off of a more broad internal system and new item system, do you think you could list some personally reccomended internals and items to go along side the general class guides_

I think... that the options available will be wide enough and mostly class neutral enough that people can make decisions more readily based on personal preference. Items I think I'll for sure leave out for now, unless I see things changing once the patch is live, and once I've seen discussion on it. I think in current build the only items I see more often on one mech class than on others are EMP and Barrier on techs; so you can disable them to make up for your offensive disadvantage, and barriers to keep yourself safe and vamp heal off of when necessary.

Internals, I guess all I'll say for now is that if your mech is an air dynamics mech (Like the Assault, Bruiser, Berserker, Rocketeer, Vanguard...) then chances are you'll want to go with the air mobility internals like Air 180 and the Air compressor to make the most use of that. If you put your points elsewhere... Well, you have a variety of internals to pick from, and where your priorities are tend to line up a bit more on your own personal strengths and weakness than with those of the mech. Though C class players will probably be eyeing the defensive and mobility internals more than others. Brawler/Scout/Infil players good at hugging maybe will want to consider the self damage internal, if they can't think of something else. Not so much for Rocketeers because enemies getting right up in their face is their worst enemy, and they shouldn't put themselves in that situation if they can avoid it. Lessee, anything else I'm missing_ That repair when out of combat is REALLY strong, particularly the advanced version. Players in C classes, Sharpshooter and Reaper may want to look into that more heavily since they'll tend to be out of combat longer. Health on kill is AMAZING for everyone, so look into that internal too... At this point, I'm wondering whether some internals will become 'accepted use' like EMP has become, while others may be informally 'banned' in competition. I'll be thinking hard about that repair when out of combat internal in Fight Club, for sure.

I kinda think that covers it, unless there's an internal I missed (likely), so point it out to me if you want me to talk in depth about it, and then I'll go nuts covering the possibilities. It could turn out really long or really short depending. However, I still remain unconvinced that I can add sections regarding internals to the guide while still being meaningful.. Maybe a list of the internals and their effects_ Though I'm still not sure that would really fit here.

And by 'here' I mean in the guide proper. I'm more than happy to discuss anything you have a question about here in the replies, at the VERY least. I'm here to help! :)

Edited by Saturnine, September 02 2013 - 09:05 PM.

Posted Image

#74 UnDeaD_CyBorG

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted September 08 2013 - 02:26 AM

Well, I suppose if you talk extensively about weapons, and some about tuning options, Items and Internals are just as important_
Then again, it isn't even out yet, and will likely change.
I'm a bit disappointed with the change to armour tuning. As far as I can see it grants 10 armour a level. What heavy mech will seriously benefit from that, unless you max it_
How about a Snowflake Holo Emote_

If an enemy fires on me, intent to take my life, I can fight back, or I can turn and flee.
But if a "friendly" tech comes by, intent to take my dignity, I can do nothing.

#75 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 07:40 AM

I haven't put items and internals in because, for the most part really, which items you use is almost entirely down to personal preference, and that stays true through to the new build. As for internals, in the old build the internal options were simple and clear enough that putting in recommendations for them would be somewhat pointless. With the new build... The internals are pretty varied and interesting, but a lot of them are still down to personal choice.

For example, the fall damage reduction internal. Off hand, the only specific classes that I can think of wanting to try that out specifically would be the air mobility mechs like Berserker, Rocketeer, and Bruiser. And even then, these guys can't hurt themselves at their max height limit, and they probably shouldn't use all of their fuel hovering over giant pits anyway. Whether you determine that internal is worth it for you is up to you. Maybe you're looking at the difference between the Power Surger and the Evasive Devise. One gives you speed on kills, the other gives you speed when low on health. You might find that having that speed on kill works better for you than speed when low on health, or vice versa. Or maybe you are Sonic and just Gotta Go Fast all the time, so you want both. Unfortunately. overall it's a little difficult for me to give good recommendations on internals and such, beyond saying "Armor Fuser is ridiculously good go get that", and that the air mobility internals are good for those who plan on using them.

I think I do actually mention the internals a bit at some point in the guide... I think I say the internal that reduces self-damage is good for mechs that like to hug opponents, I mention air mobility internals for air mechs... They're there, somewhere. ;)

Overall, my recommendation boils down to this.

1) Always get Armor Fusor No longer accurate
2) Get air mobility if you like flying around.
3) Brawlers and Scouts appreciate reducing self-damage
4) Fuel Converters are much stronger than their description would lead you to believe.
5) The speed boost internals can let you go extremely fast on Scouts, Infiltrators, and Raiders, and can be good boosts on slower mechs if you need it, too.

I think that's it. Anything beyond that is sooo personal choicy that it's hard for me to help; and the ones I've listed are so good that most people would be using them.

(Also, mo' C class armor is mo' bettah. I like having 1110 health on my Brawler. ;) )

Edited by Saturnine, December 07 2013 - 05:10 PM.

Posted Image

#76 TTNTM

TTNTM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted September 20 2013 - 04:05 AM

Flagge69, on July 13 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

how can anyone not like Bruiser_ it has the rockets and a great look ...

Was the second mech I unlocked and I still really like it.
Rockets + AR make for a really decent combination in mid range.

#77 UnDeaD_CyBorG

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted September 22 2013 - 05:26 AM

So, question here as it's a class guide and I'm reluctant to make a new thread:
Any hints what to try to get a feel if it's worth the money to unlock the grenadier_
Leveling up a rocketeer is already tedious, and then comes the bruiser....
I mean, I'll be level 30 by the time I've unlocked the Grenadier.
I can't actually trial it anymore, as far as I've gathered.
It sounds really awesome, but I've got nothing like it.
I don't think I even have a mech with a grenade launcher already...

If an enemy fires on me, intent to take my life, I can fight back, or I can turn and flee.

#78 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 07:19 AM

Well, the classes most similar to the Grenadier are the Infiltrator and the Vanguard. You can get the Vanguard by bringing a CRT to max rank, or you could buy one. You could also buy an Infiltrator, but it'll be a bit expensive. I'd say just go for the Vanguard, or if you are willing, maybe bite the bullet and shell out for the Grenadier. It's not TOO easy to get to a grenade launcher using class nowadays, as you must either max rank at least one of the classes you get for free, or you have to outright buy one.

Posted Image

#79 UnDeaD_CyBorG

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted September 22 2013 - 07:48 AM

Ah, fuzzy bunny, I figured.
Well, given I don't know I actually like the gameplay, I probably have to grind through Rocketeer and bruiser.
Meh.

#80 Super_Pickle

Super_Pickle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 09:50 PM

Saturnine, on June 05 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Those are technically the two mechs I'm stuck between myself! I REALLY want to get into the Raider, unfortunately I am just terrible at it. So I keep playing the Brawler, occasionally wondering what it would be like if I could play the Raider still. If you have any questions or particular uncertainties, though, let me know! If I have more details on who you are as a player and what you like, I might be able to help you choose between Raider and Brawler. I know that this sort of thing is exactly why the guide was created - but through this I might be able to add to the guide and make it better.. In any case helping you out will be good.

Related: If anyone wants any particular help or a clarification that the guide doesn't cover, let me know, and I/the others in the community will see what we can do to help you out! If it's something that's already covered by the guide though - I'll just tell you to read the guide and that'll be it.
Maybe I'm feeling something that doesn't exist, but as a raider pilot, I felt that you didn't prefer playing the raider. It made me a little sad, but I've noticed that only a very small number of players use the raider, and that number has dropped even further now that the raider is at the bottom of the unlock chart and several other mechs got some big improvements. It's a very difficult class to play when compared to the scout/infiltrator that does essentially the same thing.

Still, the raider is pretty much the same beast that it used to be before the patch. It's still well worth learning, and it still has the highest burst damage in the game and the fastest boost in the game. Those two factors alone make it pretty darn awesome. If you want, I can extoll some more of the amazing benefits of the raider so you can plagiarize the facts for your guide. :P
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users