HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Saturnine's Guide to the Classes *UPDATED for March Patch*

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#41 Qazda

Qazda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted June 05 2013 - 01:36 PM

Saturnine, on June 05 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Those are technically the two mechs I'm stuck between myself! I REALLY want to get into the Raider, unfortunately I am just terrible at it. So I keep playing the Brawler, occasionally wondering what it would be like if I could play the Raider still.

Haha, from the looks of it you've played the Brawler way too much! ;) I'm sure that if you take enough time to get reacquainted with the Raider you'll dominate with that mech as well. After my CR-T I've bought a Reaper, but I notice that I still haven't mastered it to the same level and sometimes have to coerce myself to pilot it, because otherwise I'll never get the hang of it.

Saturnine, on June 05 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

If you have any questions or particular uncertainties, though, let me know! If I have more details on who you are as a player and what you like, I might be able to help you choose between Raider and Brawler.

Well, my main uncertainty is that I found the Brawler pretty difficult to pilot during the test drive (although I was very new to the game at the time). But, since I now have a B class (Fred) and an A class (Reaper) I want to also have a C class so that I can have the full spread of options and experience all the different play styles instead of getting stuck in one.

I don't like hanging back behind the front lines too much (a tendency which occasionally causes my Reaper to explode when I'm not careful enough). And I don't have a short range burst option yet, hence my choice for the Brawler or Raider. But I'm going for the Brawler first to experience piloting a fatty, and if I like the burst weapons I'll get the Raider later. If not, I'll probably come back to this great guide!

Posted Image

#42 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted June 05 2013 - 02:40 PM

The raider is a compleatly different animal from the brawler. The techniques don't really translate

because bow ties are cool

#43 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted June 05 2013 - 05:38 PM

C classes just take time and practice. A lot of people find it frustrating at first, especially if they come from a background of piloting a bunch of A classes. Just give it time though, and soon it'll be second nature.

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#44 zakiel29

zakiel29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted June 05 2013 - 06:02 PM

Saturnine, on June 05 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

C classes just take time and practice. A lot of people find it frustrating at first, especially if they come from a background of piloting a bunch of A classes. Just give it time though, and soon it'll be second nature.

This..So true.
I can jump from my A classes to...THE RAIDER ... But from there I can't move on.
But I'm still trying to "tame" those the C classes, and thought that knowing how to "kill" them It will be easier to defend myself against the other classes, but it is not happening. As you said, it is frustrating.

And I ask myself:
Why I cannot move on_ Why I just pick the A class and the Raider_
Are those the easier ones to play_ And if those are the easy one, so I'm a bad player_ =S
I will love to be good in any class, but just seem impossible now.

Btw, a "tip" (dunno if it is the correct word) from a 1760-1800 player (take it from who it comes):
- In my case, I prefer Infiltrator with heat cannon, so I still have a mid to long range weapon if I have to kill those running foes.
If I go EOC, I feel I will be just mid to close range.
- And in my Raider, I have EOC. My mid to "long" range weapon is the secondary.
I always try to keep those combos (something mid to long and a close range).
I have to see what I use in the Scout, that I feel that its power resides more in CQC.

Please, forgive my awful English. Is not my 1st language

Posted Image

#45 OmniStone

OmniStone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 06:15 PM

This was one of the best posts ever made on the forums. My hat is off to you, good sir. This will help many of the newer players get more accommodated to the game :).

Edited by OmniStone, June 05 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#46 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted June 05 2013 - 08:50 PM

OdinTheWise, on June 05 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

The raider is a compleatly different animal from the brawler. The techniques don't really translate
That's news to me...

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#47 vaeritas

vaeritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 03:48 AM

Fantastic guide, welldone! I can vouch for the big flak on the scout, it's crazy good!

#48 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted June 06 2013 - 06:52 AM

Glad this got stickied, well deserved. Again, fantastic write up s9

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#49 Magnolia1038

Magnolia1038

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationThe Pen Is Mightier Than The Axe

Posted June 06 2013 - 03:11 PM

[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Very well written![/font]

#50 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted June 06 2013 - 04:21 PM

Woot, my maple syrup got the thread stickied :D Well deserved.

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#51 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted June 06 2013 - 06:17 PM

1. must add to tow description:

Scapes, on June 06 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Yes, the TOW Missile flies in a straight path despite the slight corkscrew effect.

2. Dat weapon chart and description on page 4 is wrong. Figure it out for yourself. (don't mean to be rude <3)

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#52 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 07:11 PM

h0B0, on June 06 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

1. must add to tow description:

Scapes, on June 06 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Yes, the TOW Missile flies in a straight path despite the slight corkscrew effect.

2. Dat weapon chart and description on page 4 is wrong. Figure it out for yourself. (don't mean to be rude <3)

I didn't make the weapon chart. ;) A corrected version is already being worked on to replace it; the problem was noticed as soon as I got it. :)

I'll be going to add that to the TOW description shortly.

Edited by Saturnine, June 06 2013 - 07:19 PM.

Posted Image

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#53 aToastfan

aToastfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted June 06 2013 - 07:14 PM

This is fantastic! Good structure and logical progression, I've followed this guide without even knowing it!

#54 TriggerFreak

TriggerFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIo

Posted June 10 2013 - 04:56 PM

I didn't read the whole but it's very fluid and easy to read for such an exhaustive work. Quite impeccable really.

I wanted to know in particular if the Technician's ability boosts the deconstructive beam also but it wasn't mentioned. I'm still guessing it doesn't. So maybe add a line in this regard but anyhow ...

Splendid work!

#55 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted June 10 2013 - 06:02 PM

TriggerFreak, on June 10 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

I didn't read the whole but it's very fluid and easy to read for such an exhaustive work. Quite impeccable really.

I wanted to know in particular if the Technician's ability boosts the deconstructive beam also but it wasn't mentioned. I'm still guessing it doesn't. So maybe add a line in this regard but anyhow ...

Splendid work!

Thanks for the kind words!

I actually don't know with absolute certainty myself whether the deconstruction beam is affected by the ability - I've heard it does and I've heard it doesn't. As soon as I am able, I'll test this and update the guide appropriately. :)

Posted Image

#56 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted June 10 2013 - 06:07 PM

Saturnine, on June 10 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

TriggerFreak, on June 10 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Splendid work!

I actually don't know with absolute certainty myself whether the deconstruction beam is affected by the ability - I've heard it does and I've heard it doesn't. As soon as I am able, I'll test this and update the guide appropriately. :)

AFAIK the ability only affects healing, so it won't increase the damage, but it will improve the self healing.

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#57 TriggerFreak

TriggerFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIo

Posted June 10 2013 - 09:55 PM

Well that would explain why it wasn't mentioned, wouldn't it. Looking forward to see the results then. Thanks!

#58 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted June 11 2013 - 10:24 PM

TriggerFreak, on June 10 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

Well that would explain why it wasn't mentioned, wouldn't it. Looking forward to see the results then. Thanks!

The results are in! The Amplification Beam ability does not affect the rate at which you damage enemy mechs, however it does increase the rate of self-healing from 40% to 80%  (The percent is based off of the damage being done to the enemy mech)

Also, news! The guide made it to the front page! Thanks everyone for all your support with this guide, you all rock! And thanks to the people at HWK who put it up there as well! I'm glad that you feel this is worth being up there! :)

Edited by Saturnine, June 12 2013 - 08:48 PM.

Posted Image

#59 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 14 2013 - 03:00 PM

Outstanding contribution, Saturnine. Congrats and big thanks to you as well as to the other guys who helped in the construction of such a great thread! :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#60 Catnium

Catnium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIn your cupboard

Posted June 24 2013 - 01:06 AM

my guide simply reads
Play light mech otherwise you'll be outmaneuvered and outgunned

what you need all this wall of text for _
Posted Image

Pinkie Pie Style !!!