HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Producer Letter: The Next Update

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#281 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted August 18 2013 - 04:59 AM

Thanks for giving us updates like this :)

Edited by SandSpider, August 22 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#282 Catnium

Catnium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIn your cupboard

Posted August 21 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 18 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

I'm skeptical of putting any more importance on leveling up. I've never seen that do any good for horizontal progression.

It also makes me wonder, just how does that factor into eSports_ Are comp players going to be cut off from content just because they haven't leveled something enough_

I've got a ton more question, because I'm always thinking ahead, but they can wait. I'll just elaborate and refine them in my head.

thinking ahead _  if you  did you'd see what kinda nonsense you're constantly spewing

Edited by Catnium, August 21 2013 - 08:53 PM.

Posted Image

Pinkie Pie Style !!!

#283 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted August 22 2013 - 04:20 AM

View PostCatnium, on August 21 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

I'm skeptical of putting any more importance on leveling up. I've never seen that do any good for horizontal progression.

It also makes me wonder, just how does that factor into eSports_ Are comp players going to be cut off from content just because they haven't leveled something enough_

I've got a ton more question, because I'm always thinking ahead, but they can wait. I'll just elaborate and refine them in my head.

thinking ahead _  if you  did you'd see what kinda nonsense you're constantly spewing
Except with my track record of making accurate predictions, it's not nonsense.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#284 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted August 22 2013 - 07:28 AM

Yeah, sorry Catnium but AJK is usually correct with a lot of things. I've only been on here for about three months and I've noticed that.

#285 Garx

Garx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGensokyo

Posted August 22 2013 - 09:39 AM

when is released the next patch_

Posted Image

#286 Orbitald

Orbitald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostGarx, on August 22 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

I believe what you meant to say was "when will the next patch be released_" and I think they said optimistically next week
"A mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."

- a random tiny inscription at the top of the new health bar

#287 Garx

Garx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGensokyo

Posted August 22 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostOrbitald, on August 22 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

View PostGarx, on August 22 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

I believe what you meant to say was "when will the next patch be released_" and I think they said optimistically next week
yes my english suck i forget "will"

Posted Image

#288 IlIl

IlIl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 12:49 PM

All your base are belong to us.

#289 Orbitald

Orbitald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted August 22 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostGarx, on August 22 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

yes my english suck i forget "will"

Welp, practice makes perfect =P

Sidenote: anime fans unite XD
"A mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."

- a random tiny inscription at the top of the new health bar

#290 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted August 23 2013 - 02:42 PM

AJK has expressed warranted concerns with regards to the upcoming customization system.  I don't think there's ever been a competitive eSports FPS with a vertical progression system.  On another note, games like Quake and Counter Strike have steep learning curves (I consider this as pseudo-vertical progression, just in a different way).  The devs are trying to implement a system that will help players learn the game as they put more time into it.  

Does Hawken's new vertical progression system bar it from future competitive attention and eSports_  That has yet to be determined.  They're essentially copying League's model, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Pilot level 1-29 is like Summoner level 1-29 in LoL.  During level 1-29, you're matched with players around your level.  As you level up, you unlock more Champions (Mechs) and Summoner Spells (Alternate weapons/better mech ability).   You also get rune pages (Tuning).  Once you hit Summoner Level (Pilot Level) 30, you're matched with other level 30 players.  MMR still factors in.  

Like it or not, their system works.  But they have a massive population supporting it, which Hawken lacks.   Hopefully Hawken can benefit from it as well, but I'm not too sure how it will work with a small population.  

I see what team [HWK] is trying to do.  Whether or not it will work is something we'll have to wait to see.  

I just want the fuzzy bunny patch already so I can resume my Hawken obsession.

Edited by Xacius, August 23 2013 - 02:44 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#291 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted August 23 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostXacius, on August 23 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

I hear that

because bow ties are cool

#292 Garx

Garx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGensokyo

Posted August 23 2013 - 05:25 PM

Exeon

Edited by Garx, August 23 2013 - 10:54 PM.

Posted Image

#293 Rhune

Rhune

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostOmega22, on July 18 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

Time to wake up from Cryogenic Stasis...

Exp Overflow.. been waiting for this since Closed Beta 3

New Mech... Great !

NOW LET'S NOT FORGET TO GIVE THE TECHNICIAN MECH THE LEVEL 25 WEAPON !!!
  My comment isn't on your post is actually on your signature/footer that you can't see in a quote....."I see dead hawken pilots and they all are noobs"......___ so you are cheering you were awesome enough to kill new players learning the game_ Wouldn't one be more proud of killing players of equal skill or better_ LOL...sorry just couldn't resist voicing that view....

#294 Fighter1441

Fighter1441

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 01:28 AM

any updates on the release of this patch_

i can't wait to try this out with the oculus rift support that will be in patch!

#295 BradersVal

BradersVal

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted September 02 2013 - 01:41 AM

View PostFighter1441, on September 02 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

any updates on the release of this patch_

i can't wait to try this out with the oculus rift support that will be in patch!

https://community.pl...wken-ascension/

https://community.pl...en-data-stream/

Patch notes should be released today but still no ETA on the actual patch.
Posted Image

#296 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 02 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostSilverfire, on August 18 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

Even if you're holding the clan support back an extra patch for live, can the devs at least add clan management and general clan support to the forums_ I'm not part of a clan (not sure if I want to) but I'm guessing more than a few people in clans would at least like that option to make up for the additional delay. This way, clans can already be organized in the official Hawken fashion by the time the clan support patch hits!

The systems are interconnected and since the feature is mostly driven from the website, that's the part that's been held back slightly. Our work on the client is somewhat minimal in comparison to what the web team needs to do to roll out.

Jason Hughes
Producer || Adhesive Games || twitter: @digitalHUGHES

#297 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:08 AM

AJK has expressed warranted concerns with regards to the upcoming customization system.  I don't think there's ever been a competitive eSports FPS with a vertical progression system.  On another note, games like Quake and Counter Strike have steep learning curves (I consider this as pseudo-vertical progression, just in a different way).  The devs are trying to implement a system that will help players learn the game as they put more time into it.  

Does Hawken's new vertical progression system bar it from future competitive attention and eSports_  That has yet to be determined.  They're essentially copying League's model, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Pilot level 1-29 is like Summoner level 1-29 in LoL.  During level 1-29, you're matched with players around your level.  As you level up, you unlock more Champions (Mechs) and Summoner Spells (Alternate weapons/better mech ability).   You also get rune pages (Tuning).  Once you hit Summoner Level (Pilot Level) 30, you're matched with other level 30 players.  MMR still factors in.  

Like it or not, their system works.  But they have a massive population supporting it, which Hawken lacks.   Hopefully Hawken can benefit from it as well, but I'm not too sure how it will work with a small population.  

I see what team [HWK] is trying to do.  Whether or not it will work is something we'll have to wait to see.  

Just to touch on this... increasing the player population is the priority for us. More formal competitive aspects are not out of the question, never have been and players shouldn't assume that we haven't discussed formal modes or features with set parameters which would be special to such a scene. We are still in beta, haven't reached our "1.0" yet and as I mentioned we want to increase our player base first and that takes time (with a free-to-play model especially). You know... priorities. LOL.

Thanks Xacius.

Jason Hughes
Producer || Adhesive Games || twitter: @digitalHUGHES

#298 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted September 03 2013 - 03:14 PM

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on September 02 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Just to touch on this... increasing the player population is the priority for us. More formal competitive aspects are not out of the question, never have been and players shouldn't assume that we haven't discussed formal modes or features with set parameters which would be special to such a scene. We are still in beta, haven't reached our "1.0" yet and as I mentioned we want to increase our player base first and that takes time (with a free-to-play model especially). You know... priorities. LOL.

Thanks Xacius.

Sounds like you're overcomplicating yourself here. Created a game to gather a playerbase, then create a subset of the game to support a competitive scene. I doubt they are mutually exclusive, Starcraft, CS and many other games don;t require special rules or mechanics to be competitive. Only poorly designed mechanics like some Dota heroes, some fighting game characters, noob tube, need to be taken out of the comp scene because they are poorly designed mechanics.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#299 SUNNY_NIGHT0

SUNNY_NIGHT0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 03:50 PM

It's gonna be a whole new different game (good different)

Edited by SUNNY_NIGHT0, September 03 2013 - 03:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users