HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

If The Patch Bombs What Then_

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#21 DeVact

DeVact

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Locationall over the place

Posted July 26 2013 - 11:53 AM

Since we're kinda talking about it already, anybody got any upcoming game recommendations_ I really don't know what I'd play if this patch flopped

DarkPulse said:

... less than witnessing Elvis crash a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster, seeing Bigfoot crawl out of the smoking wreckage, opening a wormhole in space, and then getting picked up by ET, Lando Calrissian, and an Arilou Lalee'Lay in the Space Battleship Yamato.

Posted Image

#22 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted July 26 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostMr_UnKNoWn, on July 26 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

View PostGodsHolyMember, on July 26 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

If there's blood in the water
Posted Image
...There are alternatives
Eh...that game just looks like CoD with mechs and futuristic-y weapons. I'll stick with other unique FPS's, thank you very much.
You should do a little more research on this game, it has lots of fairly unique things. You should reserve judgment before it even comes out.

because bow ties are cool

#23 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostMr_UnKNoWn, on July 26 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Posted Image
Eh...that game just looks like CoD with mechs and futuristic-y weapons. I'll stick with other unique FPS's, thank you very much.
LOL, you are a little quick to pass judgement, EA is super-paranoid about making sure that this game is not misconstrued in any way, shape or form as CoD due to Activision's frothing-at-the-mouth lawsuits over losing the original CoD key developers and their most talented.

#24 Silchas

Silchas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostDeVact, on July 26 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Since we're kinda talking about it already, anybody got any upcoming game recommendations_ I really don't know what I'd play if this patch flopped

For shooters there's Firefall and Planetside 2 (both are free to play), although they pale in comparison to Hawken in my opinion.

If you ever enjoyed Magic the gathering card games or final fantasy tactics then I highly recommend Might and Magic: Duel of Champions. Duel of Champions and Hawken are all I'm playing as of late.

#25 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:11 PM

I fear that the devs chose the wrong group to participate in the HAB. I fear that they chose a group of bitter, spiteful, elitist condescenders who think their opinions are more valid than others. I hope the devs steer the game and not the HAB. I hope they take the word of the HAB with a grain of salt. The devs haven't done wrong by me yet and I trust them, not the HAB. I hope the devs are "using" the players in the HAB as free labor and not listening to their demands.
Call me Nos.

#26 hawkendestroyer

hawkendestroyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:16 PM

I play this game for a few fun hours , but honestly it in its current state is not worth serious dedication. The game only has three classes (poorly balanced) and has no complex mechanical such as armor, penetration with more or less damage depending on the affected part and destruction of modules. Basically it is a more modern CS, UT3 or Quake with mechs.

Edited by hawkendestroyer, July 26 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#27 DER3Z

DER3Z

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationCleveland,Ohio

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostN0stalgia, on July 26 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

I fear that the devs chose the wrong group to participate in the HAB. I fear that they chose a group of bitter, spiteful, elitist condescenders who think their opinions are more valid than others. I hope the devs steer the game and not the HAB. I hope they take the word of the HAB with a grain of salt. The devs haven't done wrong by me yet and I trust them, not the HAB. I hope the devs are "using" the players in the HAB as free labor and not listening to their demands.

Not all of us our bitter, spiteful, and elitist to say that is kind of harsh. We just want the game to flurish into a beautiful flower.

The sole survivor of BSB

Twitching channel

http://www.twitch.tv...eel_brotherhood

Star citizen

https://robertsspace...m/orgs/STARWIND

#28 DER3Z

DER3Z

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationCleveland,Ohio

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:21 PM

View Posthawkendestroyer, on July 26 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

I play this game for a few fun hours , but honestly it in its current state is not worth serious dedication. The game only has three classes (poorly balanced) and has no complex mechanical such as armor, penetration with more or less damage depending on the affected part and destruction of modules. Basically it is a more modern CS, UT3 or Quake with mechs.

Just wait for the new patch thats all i can say really. Alpha and Closed beta for me was amazing.

The sole survivor of BSB

Twitching channel

Star citizen

#29 Flagge69

Flagge69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:21 PM

Posted Image
the chances the next patch wll flop are near zero,
and the chances the CoD devs could make an enjoable game are even lower

#30 DER3Z

DER3Z

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationCleveland,Ohio

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:23 PM

Posted Image

I'm pretty damn excited for Titian Fall, but i agree dont judge the game before it comes out.

The sole survivor of BSB

Twitching channel

Star citizen

#31 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:24 PM

can't wait to see the new cockpits design...them should be amazing!
this time i hope i can spend some MC for something like this....and OCULUS RIFT support working!

Keep it up HAB!

Posted Image

#32 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostDER3Z, on July 26 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

View PostN0stalgia, on July 26 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Not all of us our bitter, spiteful, and elitist to say that is kind of harsh. We just want the game to flurish into a beautiful flower.

I'm sure not all of you are, but I know a few who definately are. And we all want the game to flourish into a beautiful flower.

Edited by N0stalgia, July 26 2013 - 12:31 PM.

Call me Nos.

#33 EnergyFlameD

EnergyFlameD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationNorway/Thailand

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:38 PM

I would give the game support, I dont want to leave the game and I am really enjoying This game :)

Question: what will happen to all my 25 level mechs_ And what about my internials and stuff_!
I just dont know :(
[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]A FLAME CAN GIVE LIFE AND HEAT, BUT IT CAN BE VERY
LETHAL IN THE WRONG HANDS[/font]

#34 Flagge69

Flagge69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:41 PM

"I was once asked to provide some advice to a company that at one point had a product that was not only the best in its class, but also technically far ahead of its competition. It created a better way of offering its service, and customers loved it and paid for it.

Then it made a fatal mistake.

It asked its customers what features they wanted to see in the product and then delivered on those features. It seemed like good business: Ask your customers what they want, and then give it to them.

Unfortunately for this company, its competitor didn't ask its customers what they wanted. Instead, the competitor had a vision of doing things differently. As a result, they did it better. Their customers didn't really see the value or need for those features until they saw the product. When they tried it, they loved it.

So what did the company I was working with do when it saw what the competition was doing, despite my admonitions to do otherwise_ It repeated its mistake and once again asked its customers what they wanted in the product. Of course the customers responded with features that they now loved from the competitor, while the competitor continued to innovate.

The paradigm has shifted. Innovation had paved the way. The company I was advising_ I made them memorize what Alan Kay once said: 'The best way to predict the future is to invent it.'

Consumers aren't sages. They aren't in the business of imagining the next great thing. That's the job of innovators, who don't have a choice. To borrow a phrase from my friend, Gary Shapiro, they either 'innovate or die.' Those who rely on someone else to tell them what the future holds usually find themselves six feet under before they even realize they're in the coffin."

- Mark Cuban
get off my lawn ... (^^)

Edited by Flagge69, July 26 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#35 xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted July 26 2013 - 12:59 PM

No need to be so dramatic, I like many other people will play the game as long as it provides entertainment. When that stops, it's time to move on and spend your time on other things, wether it be other games or another activity, it doesn't matter.

I like the game and the patch promises to bring a major possitive change, but if it doesn't work out, oh well, I'm sure there will be people that would still enjoy the game.

Get your hard on.

#36 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostFlagge69, on July 26 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Consumers aren't sages. They aren't in the business of imagining the next great thing. That's the job of innovators, who don't have a choice. To borrow a phrase from my friend, Gary Shapiro, they either 'innovate or die.' Those who rely on someone else to tell them what the future holds usually find themselves six feet under before they even realize they're in the coffin."

- Mark Cuban
get off my lawn ... (^^)
Well stated.  Consumers aren't always good at predicting what they will ultimately need out of a product, but that doesn't mean that they can't be very helpful in determining what might be wrong, or could be better about ones existing product.

I'm hopeful that the advanced battalion is a good mix of different interested parties rather than all/most of them leaning too far in any particular direction so that their input largely cancels out and keeps the important information from being swamped by the group-think of the battalion on where they want the game to go.

Of course, as we all can see on these forums, there's very little consensus, particularly on some of the various big balancing and gameplay directions.  Some people want sim-like complexities like component destruction and more nuanced damage modifiers based on location of the hit.  Others want a hyper-drive mech-version of Tribes or Quake3 Arena with a lot of nostalgic flare to go along with it.  I reside kind of in the middle.  I don't want Hawken to become so sim-like that it gets caught up in its own nuances and forgets to make a fun game to play (looks sadly at the hamartia of MWO) and simultaneously, I've outgrown Quake3 Arena and Tribes...gameplay has evolved since those simple days, and while it was fun, things like locational damage and the ability to pull of 1-hit-kills based on your talent is something that I enjoy rather than simply being the only one with the magic weapon+quad-damage.

To me, the ideal for Hawken to angle towards is the semi-fanciful region similar to TF2, where there's just enough realism smattered into an otherwise over-the-top FPS that focuses on classes and teamwork.  Basically a more class-reliant game that's more arcade-like than BF3 but more serious than TF2.

Although Hawken takes itself seriously unlike TF2, that doesn't mean that the paradigm needs to be much different, just the presentation.

Edited by GodsHolyMember, July 26 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#37 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted July 26 2013 - 01:01 PM

my current lifeblood is the patch now.. just waiting, dredging for it to come.

i have 3 months to go to see it.  

i gotta hold on...

cause, im invincible

--[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#38 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted July 26 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostGodsHolyMember, on July 26 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Of course, as we all can see on these forums, there's very little consensus, particularly on some of the various big balancing and gameplay directions.  Some people want sim-like complexities like component destruction and more nuanced damage modifiers based on location of the hit.  Others want a hyper-drive mech-version of Tribes or Quake3 Arena with a lot of nostalgic flare to go along with it.  I reside kind of in the middle.  I don't want Hawken to become so sim-like that it gets caught up in its own nuances and forgets to make a fun game to play (looks sadly at the hamartia of MWO) and simultaneously, I've outgrown Quake3 Arena and Tribes...gameplay has evolved since those simple days, and while it was fun, things like locational damage and the ability to pull of 1-hit-kills based on your talent is something that I enjoy rather than simply being the only one with the magic weapon+quad-damage.
1. I've never seen anyone ask that the game become Quake or Tribes, or even half as manoeuvrable as either
2. Mainstream shooters have been dumbed down since Quake. This is an open and deliberate decision meant to cater to the lowest common denominator
3. 1hk hitscan weapons are not a new thing. 1hk projectile weapons are not a new thing. Neither take much skill either
4. Locational damage, like 1hk weapons, has been around a lot longer than you think

View PostGodsHolyMember, on July 26 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

To me, the ideal for Hawken to angle towards is the semi-fanciful region similar to TF2, where there's just enough realism smattered into an otherwise over-the-top FPS that focuses on classes and teamwork.  Basically a more class-reliant game that's more arcade-like than BF3 but more serious than TF2.
So a rigidly class based game that forces its competitive community to enact numerous strict bans because the game is entirely designed for pub play_ Or are you referring to the basic gameplay, which is still much easier to grasp than that of Quake or Tribes because, once again, the game is designed to be played by groups of randoms rather than organized teams or duelists
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#39 Brave_Sir_Robin

Brave_Sir_Robin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationNearby the model of Camelot

Posted July 26 2013 - 01:43 PM

I've been a part of this community since Alpha (kiss my butt, I'm Alpha!). The gaming community and experiences I have had with both Hawken and the Black Steel Brotherhood have been awesome so far. While certain changes in the game (i.e. the Tech patch) may have slowed down some of my enthusiasm for this gaming experience, I'm still a believer in what the developers can and hopefully will accomplish when the next patch is ready to be deployed. Also, as a guy who donated towards the Vanguard Initiative (Cupcakes are yummy), I feel I have a small stake in hoping this game does well and I will maintain that attitude.

While I may not be in the HAB myself, I know and trust most of the individuals who are a part of it and hope they can provide invaluable feedback to the devs.

Posted Image

Need some advice on your next Mech_ Check out this thread!

#40 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted July 26 2013 - 02:51 PM

Yeah Mark Cuban quote. Guess this guy works with windows 8 and will soon play shooters with a iPad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users