HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A rant against the HAB.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
183 replies to this topic

#81 Komodo_Saurian

Komodo_Saurian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:07 AM

It was obvious from the very beginning who exactly from the community will be involved (CB participants, streamers).

It is obvious which way they will push the devs in terms of adjusting gameplay (Esports).

Why care_

Someone important said:

Ego stroking quote.
- Distracting banner.
- Obligatory PC spec boasting, 'cause I'm rich.
- Shameless self-promotion links.
- Sneak a peak into every second stream voiceover ever.

#82 onehourleft

onehourleft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:16 AM

View Postropefish, on July 30 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

what the HAB players most likely experience :D
Posted Image

What other HAB members might be experiencing
Posted Image

and what it seems like some community members want to do to HAB members
Posted Image

#83 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:24 AM

View PostN0stalgia, on July 30 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Its simply human nature to be jealous when left high and dry. Sure, separating the community is wrong, but it hasn't really. The HABs apparently still post in these forums (though not nearly as much). I've changed my tone. The HABnots just need to have some patience and should be in defense of the HABs.

Full circle, my friends. Full circle.

I, for one, don't post much in the open forums much because, well, it's all been said lol. We've had a while to hash out our frustrations and differences about the last patch, and now it's all just ofn lol.

When next patch goes live, I'm sure HAB members will be just as active in the open forums as they are in HAB forums.

#84 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:30 AM

*yawn* I do not give a fuzzy bunny who is in HAB as long as they do their job and as long as I can keep on playing. I do not get what the whole fuss is about.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#85 Komodo_Saurian

Komodo_Saurian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostBazookagofer, on July 30 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

*yawn* I do not give a fuzzy bunny who is in HAB as long as they do their job and as long as I can keep on playing. I do not get what the whole fuss is about.
Posted Image

Someone important said:

Ego stroking quote.
- Distracting banner.

#86 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:37 AM

I agree with most that HAB is good for the game and it's important to do, but I also think it's something they should have kept quiet if this is the route they go on. Otherwise, like hobo said, it may be better to have a completely open approach like other game makers and let people test out a faulty, still being developed version parallel to the stable version. That at least tempers people's expectations when they know what they're checking out isn't supposed to be perfect.

I think the problem here is they've revealed the wrong things, which has created some feelings of disenfranchisement, and are holding back revealing the right things. The question I'm not sure of is whether hearing the community as a whole and making sure they're happy as we go along is better than having focused, silent testing by selected members that make the most constructive, dedicated feedback before releasing content to the rest.

Edited by nokari, July 30 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Posted Image

#87 Seron16

Seron16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationGallifrey

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostxXHadroncutterXx, on July 30 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

You know, it would help if we knew how the HAB actually works. Do they simply make sure everything works properly so everyone can play a stable version or do they decide what content should make it to the update or not_

This. Just my post and this. ;)
Posted Image
Spoiler

#88 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostKomodo_Saurian, on July 30 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

It was obvious from the very beginning who exactly from the community will be involved (CB participants, streamers).

It is obvious which way they will push the devs in terms of adjusting gameplay (Esports).

Why care_
Perhaps that's the general sentiment here concerning who was picked, but it's really not true. I don't think I can reveal the other people in it or specific information about them, but I can say that I've only been playing for a few days over two months and have never streamed in my life. Sure, most people in it have been members for much longer than I have and many are one or both of those things you mentioned, but there are also many people who aren't either. There is a wide demographic being represented; people here shouldn't think that development is being directed solely by the top few players or by people who want nothing more in their hearts than for this to be an e-sport.

I really think HAB is necessary because the players in it sincerely want the game to succeed and will stick through it regardless of issues with the patch. If a half-finished, exploitable, and extremely unbalanced patch was released, a lot of new players would walk right out after they saw the game's quality, and I even imagine that a lot of regulars here would lose interest in the game. The silence might be frustrating, but it's surely better than destroying the playerbase and pushing curious people away from the game.

Edited by JeffMagnum, July 30 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#89 onehourleft

onehourleft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:53 AM

HAB selection process
Posted Image

#90 DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSunny South Florida

Posted July 30 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostSeron16, on July 30 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

Man, those are pretty. :)

Orange & Black ...my fav color combo.... :D

*+
Posted Image
Just Relax...and take life one game at a time...

#91 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted July 30 2013 - 11:10 AM

It's funny how some people take being a HAB member as some sort of a privilege. Like it's a sign of elitism or something like that. Those people toil for $0.00 an hour! Just because they like the game and want it to get even better! I think this alone is enough to respect those people for their hard work and involvement.

Now, I used to be a semi-professional Counter-Strike 1.6 player (played it for 8 years; our team was top-3 in our region). When Valve announced they're working on CS:GO, they also announced they'd pick some of the world's top CS 1.6 and CS:S players to ask for their advice regarding map design, UI, balance etc. They cooperated for a month or so, and what do we have now_ Counter-strike: Global Offense, a truly competitive, well-balanced, properly designed, beautiful game superior to CS 1.6 in every respect. It's polished and perfected, and plays wonderfully.

If everything goes as I hope it will, we'll have Hawken that plays as well as CS:GO.

There's a downside to this, though. Adhesive is not Valve. I don't know how responsive, flexible, open-minded and capable they are. It's in their power to fuzzy bunny the whole thing up.

Edited by DerMax, July 30 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#92 Komodo_Saurian

Komodo_Saurian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostJeffMagnum, on July 30 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

View PostKomodo_Saurian, on July 30 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

Why care_
Perhaps that's the general sentiment here concerning who was picked, but it's really not true. I don't think I can reveal the other people in it or specific information about them, but I can say that I've only been playing for a few days over two months and have never streamed in my life. Sure, most people in it have been members for much longer than I have and many are one or both of those things you mentioned, but there are also many people who aren't either. There is a wide demographic being represented; people here shouldn't think that development is being directed solely by the top few players or by people who want nothing more in their hearts than for this to be an e-sport.

I really think HAB is necessary because the players in it sincerely want the game to succeed and will stick through it regardless of issues with the patch. If a half-finished, exploitable, and extremely unbalanced patch was released, a lot of new players would walk right out after they saw the game's quality, and I even imagine that a lot of regulars here would lose interest in the game. The silence might be frustrating, but it's surely better than destroying the playerbase and pushing curious people away from the game.
Well, in that case I am concerned.

I've assumed the devs chose people who knew the game in and out to help them fix known and existing issues. Guess not.

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by Komodo_Saurian, July 30 2013 - 11:14 AM.

Someone important said:

Ego stroking quote.
- Distracting banner.

#93 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted July 30 2013 - 11:35 AM

View Posthawkendestroyer, on July 30 2013 - 02:42 AM, said:

View PostDerMax, on July 30 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

As a person who has been in a similar situation (but with another game), I can say that the HAB is the best option imaginable, because the general public is too dumb to be effective as testers and devs are oblivious to some high-level balance aspects. So having a bunch of hardcore players working out bugs, glitches and the balance point is the way to go.
Want to make a game created by the elite is wrong ... The Meteor already did this by choosing a select group of players for alpha and closed beta and gave a current bad quality. The Meteor forgetting that this game was done to be a f2p and none if keeps alive only with players hardcore. This game can not exclude the views of new players, because it relies almost exclusively these to stay alive.

It's not wrong at all.  ADH has been balancing from the bottom up since the beginning of CB2.  If they were making the game from the top down, like successful companies have done in the past, then they'd probably have a better tuned/more balanced product.
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#94 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted July 30 2013 - 11:36 AM

So it's impossible for me to know the nuances of the game's mechanics because I'm relatively new_ I'm probably one of the newest (if not the newest) in HAB, so it's not like everyone has only been playing a couple of months -  I guess you can rest easy knowing that. I seriously don't understand how the length of time someone's been a member=that same person's experience with the game. Active membership time (in days since account creation, not hours played in-game) may be correlated with game skill, but it doesn't share a causative relationship with it.

Anyway, it's better to have a diverse population in HAB so as to get feedback from a variety of player types. What might be nice to a newer player might also be game-breaking and unbalanced at higher levels of play and vice versa.

Edited by JeffMagnum, July 30 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#95 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 30 2013 - 12:05 PM

I have really had enough of this bickering and arguing about petty things. Equating Hawken/HAB to animal farm is about as far from the truth as you can get. Please just stop. If you really care about this game then you should consider if all your whining and complaining is really helping ADH, MTR, HAB or anyone at this point. If ADH/MTR listened to everything put onto this forum or to the general population all the time the game would not be what it is nor worth two cents. They very clearly do things their own way by picking and choosing what they want.

HAB was created as a way to get constructive feedback on the game quickly from a smaller population. This threads very existence and the petty comments being spat around inside of it only serve to further validate why the devs feel the need to keep things a secret. Its clear that positive constructive feedback is not taking place.

Posted Image

#96 HideyoshiYaoi

HideyoshiYaoi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationSTL

Posted July 30 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostN0stalgia, on July 30 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

he HAB has alienated passionate members of the community. It may be for the best and I sincerely hope so. But what the heck are players like me supposed to do_ Take a break from Hawken_ Because I don't even want to know what my withdrawal symptoms would be like.... (take it with a grain of salt - you get my points).

I haven't played Hawken since a couple days after they announced what they were doing on cockpit those many weeks ago

I completely agree that the current build is obsolete, and it feels like a waste of time to play it since a lot's going to change, and I'd JUST LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON BEFORE I WASTE MORE TIME ON THIS GAME

#97 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 30 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostHideyoshiYaoi, on July 30 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

View PostN0stalgia, on July 30 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

he HAB has alienated passionate members of the community. It may be for the best and I sincerely hope so. But what the heck are players like me supposed to do_ Take a break from Hawken_ Because I don't even want to know what my withdrawal symptoms would be like.... (take it with a grain of salt - you get my points).

I haven't played Hawken since a couple days after they announced what they were doing on cockpit those many weeks ago

I completely agree that the current build is obsolete, and it feels like a waste of time to play it since a lot's going to change, and I'd JUST LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON BEFORE I WASTE MORE TIME ON THIS GAME

If playing a game feels like a waste of time I'd say you aren't having much fun and it has nothing to do with HAB or the current build being "obsolete."

Games are fun. You play them to have fun. When you stop having fun and you aren't being payed to play them... you stop playing. Blaming it on upcoming patches seems a little silly to me.

Posted Image

#98 Seron16

Seron16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationGallifrey

Posted July 30 2013 - 01:46 PM

As I said earlier Leon, I have no qualms with the HAB. I have qualms with what the HAB is/is not.

Edited by Seron16, July 30 2013 - 01:46 PM.

Posted Image
Spoiler

#99 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 30 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostSeron16, on July 30 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

As I said earlier Leon, I have no qualms with the HAB. I have qualms with what the HAB is/is not.

My post is not directed at you. Your posts have been constructive. Others have not to say the least.

Posted Image

#100 WarPig

WarPig

Mech Assimilations

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationOneida, NY

Posted July 30 2013 - 02:06 PM

I can assure you all from the bottom of my heart, I have in no way shape or form tried to make any developer happy or kiss up and separate myself out from the normal community.

Also take note I hardly post here or in HAB forums for I could care less really but I felt I should.

My show having Hughes on was not a large Q and A session to have everyone ask a bunch of things and get answers .. it was a cry for help to hear wtf they have been doing and where the game is headed.

I cannot say much more than that , but for those that maybe think I am someone who is trying to be on a different social ladder here you could never be so wrong and many others would confirm this as well so sorry to those upset at those of us given the ability to check HAB out but hey its life deal with it.

next - if you see a decline in the population or feel as it is such maybe there is a deeper reason  than just us being split up ... we still can play on live lol
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users