HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A rant against the HAB.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
183 replies to this topic

#61 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationUK: (In my castle talking to the Queen on skype)

Posted July 30 2013 - 08:35 AM

Seron you are the man! and onehourleft, thanks for putting erathic in our thoughts once more.

Erathic should clearly be snapped up by ADH. He's just tooooo awesome to be churning out fan stuff on these forums (though I am very glad he does).

SOMEONE GIVE THAT MAN A DAMNED JOB!!!

Edited by Pastorius, July 30 2013 - 08:37 AM.

Posted Image

#62 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted July 30 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostPastorius, on July 30 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Erathic should clearly be snapped up by ADH. He's just tooooo awesome to be churning out fan stuff on these forums (though I am very glad he does).

SOMEONE GIVE THAT MAN A DAMNED JOB!!!
i second the motion
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#63 hawkendestroyer

hawkendestroyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 08:40 AM

I have a suggestion for Meteor: why do not you open a server only once a week or month to test the patch to ALL players_Would be better than this hide and seek tests.

Edited by hawkendestroyer, July 30 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#64 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted July 30 2013 - 08:48 AM

You all probably should edit your posts and remove those screenshots. But thanks.

Let me boil it down.

1. The current build of Hawken feels obsolete knowing that so much is changing. This makes me less likely to log in at all until the patch drops and less interested in playing at all. HAB has also syphoned off a lot of good players so it is much much more difficult to find a decent game, much less a good game.

2. I participate in this forum to discuss Hawken. As it stands now, the only forum that is capable of doing that effectively is the HAB forum. So what can we do here other than post more gifs in that awesome thread (you know the one).

Like i said, the HAB has alienated passionate members of the community. It may be for the best and I sincerely hope so. But what the heck are players like me supposed to do_ Take a break from Hawken_ Because I don't even want to know what my withdrawal symptoms would be like.... (take it with a grain of salt - you get my points).
Call me Nos.

#65 zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 08:49 AM

My thought is that some people paid money.  I did.  I also paid so that my son could play.  Yes, it is free to play, but wanted to help out by putting funds behind it.  I figure, I almost spend as much money going to see a movie with my son that only last 2 hours.  I have played a lot more then 2 hours for the amount of money that I have spent.  But I think that it should be players choice of what server to play on be it Beta or HAB.

The whole things is to play and game an interact with other people.  I'm in a clan, so we like to talk smack some time while we are playing.  Does not matter how badly the game is unbalanced or getting suck on a wall.  The thing is to have fun.  My secondary TOW does not always fire when I push the button.  It is like my Mech got a virus.

Zorin1

Edited by zorin1, July 30 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#66 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 08:53 AM

change is coming, are you ready_

www.playhawken.com

that with a awesome background
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "

#67 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for posting NDA stuff. Now all HAB testers can be questioned because you didn't specify who. Way to give the devs faith in the HAB team.

@Nost:  HAB has not siphoned off many good players. Wanna know how often I play HAB vs live_  One hour in HAB for every 5 hours live. Don't worry, the population isn't suffering due to HAB.

#68 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:03 AM

i think everyone is overreacting again, like the time teh servers went down for  3 days

#69 Countrygal

Countrygal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationGermany - Boots City

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:05 AM

I think HAB should be renamed

Has Anybody Brain

I´m so sorry for this mad thought, but it´s sad what´s going on here... partly

Please excuse grammatical errors, English is not my first language.  Thanks!

#70 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostCountrygal, on July 30 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

I think HAB should be renamed

Has Anybody Brain

I´m so sorry for this mad thought, but it´s sad what´s going on here... partly
yep

#71 onehourleft

onehourleft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:07 AM

Posted Image

#72 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:13 AM

I've been a part of test groups like this before, as much as people want to QQ about it, it's a good thing (I suggested they do this from the beginning of OB when we started seeing imbal stuff pop out in patches)

#73 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationUK: (In my castle talking to the Queen on skype)

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:19 AM

It seams that all sudden a post has been removed from this thread...

Edited by Pastorius, July 30 2013 - 09:22 AM.

Posted Image

#74 onehourleft

onehourleft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostRedVan, on July 30 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

I've been a part of test groups like this before, as much as people want to QQ about it, it's a good thing (I suggested they do this from the beginning of OB when we started seeing imbal stuff pop out in patches)

Good point.  If HAB was introduced as part of OB there may have been less push back from the community.  Although if HAB was as much work as the devs say, then resources may not have been available then.

#75 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:20 AM

It's a mixed bag.

I'm a huge fan of mods and have played TONS of them over the years, going as far back as Team Fortress for Quakeworld and ActionQ2, Gloom, Counter-Strike, Sven CoOp, Natural Selection, Desert Combat, Empires Mod, Galactic Conquest (EA was foolish for not snapping them up when they had the SW property), etc etc etc.

It's a blessing and a curse to have the HAB in Hawken.  I recall on numerous occasions during Desert Combat and Empires Mod when a patch dropped too early and introduced things that really screwed up the gameplay (DC Cruise Missile anyone_) and once it happened, many people reverted to older versions of the mod (from Fileplanet most likely) and played on various public servers that didn't update to the new patch.

What we ended up with were fragmented communities playing different versions of the game they preferred and the new patch not getting the adequate testing and appreciation it needed.

On the flip-side, mods like Counter-Strike and Desert Combat had private servers with volunteer testers playing new content before it hit mainstream players...the patches were more polished and with far fewer exploits.

From my experience, I think that the Hawken team needs to do a few things differently:
  • Don't make the content of the upcoming patch such a secret unless it's to build hype for the game's update

• Consider allowing players to download the prototype-Hawken and add additional servers running the prototype versions of the game for people to play.  This version of Hawken is independent of the Open-Beta, so players can easily transition and differentiate between the two.  The prototype should not be advertised on the main page, it should be tucked into a sub-page so that new players don't automatically presume that they should play the prototype unfiinshed-version rather than the polished Open-Beta.

• If not #2, then be more candid about the upcoming content and keep an open line of communication with the greater community and clearly express the vision that the ADH holds for Hawken's future.
Presently, I think that the HAB is the right path for testing content that's not ready for prime-time, but it's aggravating how cagey the ADH team is being with the new material and segregating the community into the informed and uninformed.

Edited by GodsHolyMember, July 30 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#76 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:54 AM

next patch should introduce mods, then the real rants will come XD

#77 Siamenis

Siamenis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationinvading Zion

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:55 AM

Seems I missed some eye candy in here :[ Seriously though, let's all calm down from this, it isn't getting us anywhere. patch and HAB wise. Things will be revealed when it's time to do so. In the meantime, enjoy a stroll in a forest, write a poem, go on a date, draw something, make music,... you know, live life and that.
Posted Image

#78 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:55 AM

In defense of the HAB:

Obviously, the HAB wasn't implemented flawlessly, but we can all forgive the devs for that. Probably, players that are participating should not be allowed to announce their involvement. (It should be part of the NDA if it isn't).

That being said, if it is the only way for Hawken to be as competitive as UT was, then we all could use it. I hope the HAB testers grind that build. It may be the only way for the next patch to have the balance issues worked out to a point where there's no QQing in the open forum. Ideally, there really should be no complaining about it. Its not like the HAB players are going to intentionally play favorites to certain mechs or weapons (though I'm sure they all have their opinions). It's not like they could steer the game, even if they wanted to. I'm sure they <3 Hawken as much as the next guy or gal.

Its simply human nature to be jealous when left high and dry. Sure, separating the community is wrong, but it hasn't really. The HABs apparently still post in these forums (though not nearly as much). I've changed my tone. The HABnots just need to have some patience and should be in defense of the HABs.

Full circle, my friends. Full circle.

Edited by N0stalgia, July 30 2013 - 09:57 AM.

Call me Nos.

#79 xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted July 30 2013 - 09:57 AM

You know, it would help if we knew how the HAB actually works. Do they simply make sure everything works properly so everyone can play a stable version or do they decide what content should make it to the update or not_

Get your hard on.

#80 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:00 AM

what the HAB players most likely experience :D
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users