HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The HAWKEN Data Stream

Game News

• Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#461 Fighter1441

Fighter1441

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 01:51 AM

if this new patch does not include oculus rift support i am going to be a very sad panda.

this is 1 of the reasons i got a dev kit! :)

#462 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted September 02 2013 - 01:56 AM

The patch will include  Basic rift support, according to this topic:

https://community.pl...he-next-update/

Hope this will not be canceled at the last minute.
One of the reasons i bought the Oculus Rift is that Hawken ''would'' support it in 12/12/12.

Let's hope this time will be true :)

Posted Image

#463 Guest_waftycrank_*

Guest_waftycrank_*
  • Guests

Posted September 02 2013 - 04:44 AM

Puzzled why Rift desire so high.  HAwken weapon aim point fixed to chassis.  Not head.  Correct_  Expect would need to keep head centred to shoot straight.  HAwken all about shooting straight.  What point Rift if must keep head centred to be effective_

HUD now has weird floaty bars for sake of Rift.  Why_  HAwken not really suited to Rift.  (Beyond first hour of immersion ‘wow’ would turn it off for want of shooting straight.)  Rift might work in HAwken if weapons & HUD followed head aim point +/-30 deg. from chassis heading.  Id est, still chassis forward locked but with slight weapon arm pivot.  Head = aim point.  Mouse = chassis heading.  Would still feel suboptimal.

#464 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted September 02 2013 - 04:56 AM

i totally agree regarding Headtracking aim and mouse for chassis heading...i suggested this 1000 times.
Regarding the rift implementation i think this new HUD has been optimized for VR since the reticle,and hope healt bars etc would be sticked to the POV.

the secondary infos are instead inside the cockpit,It's not the best for rift users but should work.
I really hope devs will give us the option to aim with headtracking...it's the only way to use the rift in a competitive way, or it will remains just a good gadget and nothing more.
I can understand if Rift doesn't work good with games converted later,but Hawken tried to implement it before the Alpha, so i think a full and working optimization would be adeguate after almost 1 year.

Posted Image

#465 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted September 02 2013 - 05:02 AM

Its still questionable if hawkens twitching is slow enough to prevent motion sickness. Its a bit different from driving a racecar or flying a chopper/jet. And even there you can get serious trouble. Fighter1441, have you tested such rift demos_ How about your hawken+rift test at gamescom. Can you tell us a bit more. The movies didnt give much information.

Edited by f_error, September 02 2013 - 05:05 AM.

#466 Guest_waftycrank_*

Guest_waftycrank_*
  • Guests

Posted September 02 2013 - 05:43 AM

View Posttorc, on September 02 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

...but Hawken tried to implement it before the Alpha, so i think a full and working optimization would be adeguate after almost 1 year.
Since Alpha_  Really_  Observable HAwken design history suggests medium/late stage buy-in.  (No sane dev designs VR-friendly mech shooter with fixed chassis aim point only.  Just wouldn’t happen.)  Ergonomics are prime concern for VR.  Not secondary.  Partly why VR failed to gain traction over the years.  HAwken w/ Rift looks very afterthoughty.

#467 Vinushka

Vinushka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted September 02 2013 - 06:01 AM

View Postwaftycrank, on September 02 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

Puzzled why Rift desire so high.  HAwken weapon aim point fixed to chassis.  Not head.  Correct_  Expect would need to keep head centred to shoot straight.  HAwken all about shooting straight.  What point Rift if must keep head centred to be effective_

HUD now has weird floaty bars for sake of Rift.  Why_  HAwken not really suited to Rift.  (Beyond first hour of immersion ‘wow’ would turn it off for want of shooting straight.)  Rift might work in HAwken if weapons & HUD followed head aim point +/-30 deg. from chassis heading.  Id est, still chassis forward locked but with slight weapon arm pivot.  Head = aim point.  Mouse = chassis heading.  Would still feel suboptimal.
  I thought moving your head in rift just let you look around the actual interior of the cockpit. Aim is stil handled via the mouse or gamepad and not head tracking right_

Posted Image

☯ NΣPTVNΣ ☯

Metallic.Uniframe.Super.Hybrid.Armor

#468 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted September 02 2013 - 06:08 AM

This would be interesting...is there someone having direct experience with the OR during the gamescom_

@Vinushka: yes...sadly.

Edited by torc, September 02 2013 - 06:13 AM.

Posted Image

#469 Fighter1441

Fighter1441

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 06:19 AM

I have tested hawken with the rift at gamescom only for like 5 minutes but heres what i can tell so far.

the advantages will be this: looking arround corners without turning your mech. and ofcourse an awesome experience.

when it comes to shooting i must say i did not have to much trouble. yes you should look straight to aim with like a controller or mouse. because you need to see what you are aiming for so you look through your windshield.

the realism however is so intense that you wil experience a what i cal: 1 on 1 depth perception with the real thing.

i never felt before that i  was flying to high in any game. (when using the jetpack) when i did in hawken with the oculus i actually felt i was flying to high for comfort). also when i stood on a building, when i walked to the edge and looked down my stomach felt funny cause it was so freaking high).

ill gladly loose a bit of response with aiming (if there is any) cause its just getting used to to get this experience.

besides.. it might be even better once you get the hang of it.

and for the post above. yes. you can look arround in your mech cockpit and aiming goes by controller or mouse/keyboard. pretty neat to check behind your cockpit seat though :D

Edited by Fighter1441, September 02 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#470 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted September 02 2013 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for sharing this Fighter...can't wait for the new patch :)

Posted Image

#471 midixas94

midixas94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 07:58 AM

guys some of you are on nuts, this is not mech warrior online where are separate things like hand mounted weapons, and chasis mounted weapons which targets seperatly, this is not a simulator, by the way i dont want to compare them only same thing is mechs nothing more, even walking thing is different

#472 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted September 02 2013 - 10:23 AM

View Postmidixas94, on September 02 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

guys some of you are on nuts, this is not mech warrior online where are separate things like hand mounted weapons, and chasis mounted weapons which targets seperatly, this is not a simulator, by the way i dont want to compare them only same thing is mechs nothing more, even walking thing is different

This is pointless...we're all aware that mechwarrior is a completely different kind of game.
We're just tryin'to integrate the Oculus rift in a proper and correct way,or at least suggest this.

First of all,Hawken have just 2 guns,and there's no chassis-mounted guns, so the example is nonsense.
Second, the headtracking aiming would help to balance who plays with a gamepad and the rift,otherwise a good slice of players will be not competitive,making the experience frustrating.

that's all

Posted Image

#473 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:03 AM

head tracking would not make you aim better, it will give you a sore neck.

you can still kbm w/ the rift on (my kb is not lit and i usually play in the dark and never look at my keyboard).

and some people are able to gamepad at a high lvl in hawken due to turn speed caps.  so even if you prefer gamepad while blind (i don't) you won't be handicapping yourself too much.

#474 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info Fighter1441.
Do you have your rift kit already_ There are enough topics about motion sickness. Maybe you could look into some of them and compare them to hawken_
Did you test with a gamepad or mouse&keyboard_

#475 Fighter1441

Fighter1441

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postf_error, on September 02 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Thanks for the info Fighter1441.
Do you have your rift kit already_ There are enough topics about motion sickness. Maybe you could look into some of them and compare them to hawken_
Did you test with a gamepad or mouse&keyboard_
i have tested it with a gamepad at gamescom. i expect to receive my oculus rift next weekend. i will play hawken with keyboard mouse while using the rift though. i can blind type easy so its not realy a problem for me to not see my keyboard. about motionsickness. hmm. hard to say if i get it. maybe get this weird feeling a bit but nothing that makes me sick :). guess ill find out soon enough. besides i like feeling that dont look down feeling in my gut. makes things more serious :)

#476 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:21 AM

Players will have somewhat basic Rift options when this patch comes out but we made improvements beyond our lock date for this patch that players will see in the update coming after. We've added a separate menu option for Rift specific settings and we're still playing with the experience. It's a bit new to us so not only are there technical hurdles but gameplay ones as well. We didn't lock off this patch and put work aside... we're still going with it.

Jason Hughes
Producer || Adhesive Games || twitter: @digitalHUGHES

#477 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info...Glad to see you're working on it.
If you want some feedback just for the Rift implemetation i am available.

Would be great having the Rift owners directly involved into the project....a sort of HAB for Rifters :D

Regarding motion sickness, i never feel it ( i suffer car motion sickness in RL), but the first hours with the OR were a bit strange...i think it's just you have to habit with this, then it will disappear.
I can play Strike suit zero without any sort of nausea.

Hope it helps.

Edited by torc, September 02 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Posted Image

#478 Fighter1441

Fighter1441

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:29 AM

well if the basic rift options are equal or better then the demo i have tested with hawken at gamescom then you guys have nothing to worry about. infact. playing the hawken demo with rift made me pre-order a dev kit instead of waiting for a consumer release :) so you guys did something ok alright :D

#479 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:36 AM

You're encouraging me Fighter....thanks for the great feedback! :)

Posted Image

#480 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 11:24 PM

how much is a rift_

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, News

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users