HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Oculus Rift Help

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 [HWK]ZamboniChaos

[HWK]ZamboniChaos

Community Manager

• Meteor Entertainment
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCruise Ship, Stern

Posted September 11 2013 - 06:20 PM

Greetings pliots!

Many of you have raised questions about how to utilize the Oculus Rift with HAWKEN. This short guide will help you get started!

All you need to do to start the game with the Oculus Rift is run the game with command line parameter "-vr".
  • To do this, create a shortcut to the game’s executable located here:
C:Program Files (x86)MeteorEntertainmentHawkenInstalledHawkenFilesBinariesWin32 HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe
  • Add the parameter "-vr" to the command line, as shown here:
Posted Image

Here are a couple of commands that are incredibly useful when using the Oculus Rift. To use these commands, press F5 to open the console and then type the desired command.
  • togglevisor - We also suggest turning off the visor in-game due to visual bugs that occur if you don't have the 1080p Rift.
  • ResetMotionInput - This will reset the view to its default position.
As a reminder, the current Oculus Rift implementation is still in a very early stage of development. We are already working on more polished support and we can't wait for you to try it!

Pour yourself a drink, I'll sing you a song.

@ZamboniChaos

#2 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted September 11 2013 - 06:43 PM

It's Official: HAWKEN has entered the third dimension.

Thus dawns the second age of Illal, the Age of Voxels.

More on this story at 11.

Edited by Conquistador, September 11 2013 - 06:44 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Simon_T

Simon_T

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hmm thanks for the tip Zamboni but I tried editing the shortcut path as stated and still no Rift implementaion in the game. Anyone else get this working yet_

#4 Jharii

Jharii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 07:03 PM

Same as Simon_T.

#5 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted September 11 2013 - 07:12 PM

got everything working up to the game menu, but now for some reason my mouse pointer is stuck on the right side of the screen and I cant click on the menus on the left X_x...no idea why is that.

edit: oh and on a side note, ive read somewhere ya have to have the oculus rift as the 2nd monitor and it wont work with duplicate screen, will only work with extended .

Edited by Makina, September 11 2013 - 07:15 PM.

Alienware Aurora R4 : Intel I7-3820 4 core 3.6 - OC 4.1 // 8 GB rams (Soon 16 GB) // 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 // Basic 7.1 Sound Card // 17' & 50' 1080p Screens // Oculus Rift equipped .

All system green...Ready for action.

#6 f8l123

f8l123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 08:12 PM

Couldn't figure out how to get rift view on, even with -vr didn't work

#7 Espier

Espier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 08:19 PM

Adding -vr did not work for me either.

#8 Corsaire

Corsaire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 01:04 AM

Greetings,

There's an alternative method, go to :

(...) HawkenGameConfigDefaultEngine.ini

Search for :

bAlwaysAllowHMD

It's in under the [Engine.Oculus] directory.
Change it to :

true

Just... Don't be surprise...
Actually, you don't feel like inside of a mecha.
Either inside a Mecha for dolls or inside a giant helmet!
The games feels extremely great, it's just the cockpit who is... Bleh~

And as Makina said, you need to get the Oculus as a 2nd monitor, not a duplicate one.
A bit anoying though~

Edited by Corsaire, September 12 2013 - 01:07 AM.

#9 Vakos

Vakos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 02:02 AM

I tried with the shortcut tips and .ini editing tips (with dual screen and duplicate one) but it doesn't work...

#10 Hammerbot

Hammerbot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 02:42 AM

Please follow these instructions very carefully. http://www.reddit.co...e_rift_support/

If done right you will get the rift experience that was itended. The small cockpit problem can be fixed by adding a line into ini file that sets correct IPD and makes you feel inside a normal sized cockpit. Once everything is done correctly you shall recieve endless amounts of fun and you probably are not going to want to go back to plain 2d screen. Even if it has higher rez.

It always makes me flip when i see other mech running into mine.

Edited by Hammerbot, September 12 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#11 Wavefunction

Wavefunction

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 03:45 AM

Good work on adding support for the Rift! I just have a few questions:

1. I want to play with the visor down as I can see the map, however the crosshair is really hard to see on the devkit. Is there anyway to bring up the map with the visor up_ Or should I just bind the visor to a key (is that possible)_

2. While you're improving Oculus Rift support, are you going to focus solely on improving it for a future HD version or are you going to cater support for the current devkit as well_

3. For some reason, no amount of anisotropic filtering seems to be doing anything for me. I can't change the resolution either since HAWKEN needs to have the Rift as an extended display. This means that it looks way more pixelated than it needs to. Any plans to rectify this_ Also, as you're probably well aware, the menus are unreadable. Gave myself a headache trying to!

Anyway, despite all this the game IS playable and it IS a hell of a lot of fun in VR. The Rift really suits HAWKEN and I'm not getting any nausea or discomfort whatsoever. I'd love to see much better support--and soon, if possible :)

Good work guys.

Edited by Wavefunction, September 12 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#12 GhastlyGhost

GhastlyGhost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 03:48 AM

@Hammerbot I followed those directions exactly, and have it working...sorta...

It seems the IPD is WAYYYYY off in Hawken, despite it being fine for other games. I get a wierd cross eyed effect and can't find any way to adjust it within Hawken itself. Is there a command or something or will I just have to guess at the IPD in the oculus setup wizard and have a new profile for hawken alone_

#13 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted September 12 2013 - 03:49 AM

Thanks Hammerbot, that made things much easier, too bad my mouse cursor is still stuck for some reason so I cant try Hawken in VR T_T

At least I can watch my mech on the main menu in VR XD

Edited by Makina, September 12 2013 - 03:55 AM.

Alienware Aurora R4 : Intel I7-3820 4 core 3.6 - OC 4.1 // 8 GB rams (Soon 16 GB) // 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 // Basic 7.1 Sound Card // 17' & 50' 1080p Screens // Oculus Rift equipped .

#14 Hammerbot

Hammerbot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 04:09 AM

I am gonna quote morbidlyobesepenguin from reddit.

You do not need to disable the HUD, it's working fine. They just didn't enable the 3D version of the HUD in this release, nor the release prior. Enable it. Here's a zip file I just quickly put together that will make Hawken completely functional (IPD, and HUD fixed) in Rift mode.

https://app.box.com/...y6uryk0fqsxlnk3
Edit: For anyone not wanting to use the files I provided, the two changes I made are as follows. You'll have to add the first one manually as it's not there prior.
DefaultEngine.ini
[Engine.Stereo3D]
EyeDistance=0.031500
DefaultGame.ini
[HawkenGame.R_HUD]
bUse2DVisor=false

To have a correct size for a cockpit you have to add a line  EyeDistance=0.031500  

Hope that helps.
See you in a game

Edited by Hammerbot, September 12 2013 - 04:13 AM.

#15 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted September 12 2013 - 04:43 AM

just to be sure, does your files contain the eyedistance too_

#16 Wavefunction

Wavefunction

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 04:50 AM

View PostHammerbot, on September 12 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

You do not need to disable the HUD, it's working fine. They just didn't enable the 3D version of the HUD in this release, nor the release prior. Enable it. Here's a zip file I just quickly put together that will make Hawken completely functional (IPD, and HUD fixed) in Rift mode.

Edit: For anyone not wanting to use the files I provided, the two changes I made are as follows. You'll have to add the first one manually as it's not there prior.
DefaultEngine.ini
[Engine.Stereo3D]
EyeDistance=0.031500
DefaultGame.ini
[HawkenGame.R_HUD]
bUse2DVisor=false

To have a correct size for a cockpit you have to add a line  EyeDistance=0.031500  

Hope that helps.
See you in a game

I must have a weird IPD because that crosshair is still appearing as doubled for me despite already having put in those values.

#17 Hammerbot

Hammerbot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 05:14 AM

Hi. I think that this file does not contain eyedistance. Its all a little bit mess right now because everyone are sharing their settings and some stuff is missing from one or another file. I am going to redo everything with my hawken ini file and if i get it to work i shall copy paste entire ini file here.

Edited by Hammerbot, September 12 2013 - 05:14 AM.

#18 GhastlyGhost

GhastlyGhost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 05:19 AM

DefaultEngine.ini
[Engine.Stereo3D]
EyeDistance=0.031500
DefaultGame.ini
[HawkenGame.R_HUD]
bUse2DVisor=false

Hope that helps.
See you in a game

Thanks for the help hammerbot, but unfortunately I'm still missing a massive chunk out of the middle of my vision in the rift, I think it has something to do with one of the IPD settings. I'm also not getting any head tracking, and was just assuming it wasn't in it. Everything but those two things seems to be working.

I copied and pasted the changed ini files from the reddit and made sure to replace the existing versions. I also restarted the client with my oculus upright, facing the correct direction.

My rift's current IPD settings work fantastically for all the demos and TF2 and everything else I've tried.

I then opened up the files and checked for myself, the values are changed as you suggest. Unfortunately I cannot seem to modify these files myself, as it keeps saying I do not have permission. I am logged in as admin, and the client is closed, which would be my first guesses as to why I would not have permission to edit them.

I'm not sure if this is, or isn't, on topic, so I made a new thread just in case. I'll be checking both either way.

Edited by GhastlyGhost, September 12 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#19 Makina

Makina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted September 12 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostGhastlyGhost, on September 12 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

DefaultEngine.ini
[Engine.Stereo3D]
EyeDistance=0.031500
DefaultGame.ini
[HawkenGame.R_HUD]
bUse2DVisor=false

Hope that helps.
See you in a game

Thanks for the help hammerbot, but unfortunately I'm still missing a massive chunk out of the middle of my vision in the rift, I think it has something to do with one of the IPD settings. I'm also not getting any head tracking, and was just assuming it wasn't in it. Everything but those two things seems to be working.

I copied and pasted the changed ini files from the reddit and made sure to replace the existing versions. I also restarted the client with my oculus upright, facing the correct direction.

My rift's current IPD settings work fantastically for all the demos and TF2 and everything else I've tried.

I then opened up the files and checked for myself, the values are changed as you suggest. Unfortunately I cannot seem to modify these files myself, as it keeps saying I do not have permission. I am logged in as admin, and the client is closed, which would be my first guesses as to why I would not have permission to edit them.

I'm not sure if this is, or isn't, on topic, so I made a new thread just in case. I'll be checking both either way.

I might be wrong, but if the headtracking doesnt work and you missing a big space of view in the center it could simply be because the game see the rift as a normal monitor, I had that problem, make sure the rift is set as the 2nd monitor ( you know when you identify it should have the number 2) and that the screen is set to extanded desktop ( NOT diplicated ). if you have normal view and headtracking at the begining, everything should work. my pc detect the rift as RIFT DK on the display options of my pc.

because the way you describe it is the same way when you look at your desktop tru the oculus, the picture ( your wallpaper lets say) doesnt show correctly.

#20 Kruthal_Dexlar

Kruthal_Dexlar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Location//Prosk F.O.B//

Posted September 12 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostHammerbot, on September 12 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

Hi. I think that this file does not contain eyedistance. Its all a little bit mess right now because everyone are sharing their settings and some stuff is missing from one or another file. I am going to redo everything with my hawken ini file and if i get it to work i shall copy paste entire ini file here.

Look forward to trying out your config Hammer!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users