HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Oculus Rift Help

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Hammerbot

Hammerbot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 09:09 AM

Hi.

I posted the config file to this topic. Hope it helps  https://community.pl...en/#entry345030

Played 1.5h hawken with RIft on. Feels like i just came from a war! So tired now.

#22 IM0001

IM0001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hmm. I have gotten at least half way there. I can get the game to launch into VR (with both the Config line or -vr in the shortcut) and the game detect and shows I believe properly on the Rift, however there is no motion control so I cannot look around at all. (Are you supposed to be able to look around the menu as well as once ingame_ Neither work). Is there anything else I am missing_ I do have 3 monitors with the Rift using the 3rd input (HDMI) but coming up as Monitor #1 when Identified, however #2 is my primary (and switches to #1 when Rift is unplugged. When the Rift is plugged in, it pulls #1 to itself. And yes the game is running in Fullscreen)

Edited by IM0001, September 14 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#23 Xenovorous

Xenovorous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 09:09 AM

Following Hammerbot's directions, I got it working!

A trap I fell into was creating the shortcut - acting quickly, I made a shortcut to HawkenLauncher by mistake. It needs to be HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe! Of course this is obvious from the instructions for anyone paying more attention than me.

I'm playing with the setting bShowVisorInRift - on 'true' you get a nice reticle and heat meters as usual, but it floats around the HUD, seemingly in the reverse direction of your head motion. This doesn't change the actual aiming of the weapons though. It would be fine if it just stayed centred, and it would be awesome if it tracked with your gaze so you could partially aim by actually looking at the target. With bShowVisorInRift on 'false', you get a red dot to aim with and no HUD otherwise.

#24 Fluke

Fluke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 08:43 PM

The new patch apparently has Rift options now "in the Settings menu under Devices". Can someone open my eyes for me please, as I just can't find it anywhere (or is the patch not live yet - just loaded Hawken for the first time in a while, and so I'm wondering if it's the previous patch I've just seen it update to)..

Edited by Fluke, October 28 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#25 Fluke

Fluke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 29 2013 - 02:42 PM

Well, disappointing patch Rift wise.

For some reason, there appears to be a massive blur filter (like overkill depth of field) when it gets more than 10 feet in front of your mech. The cockpit scale is also still way too small (a bit poor really when people found good values to set it to in the config files last time round).

If there's one suggestion I'd make though, it's copy what Eurotruck Simulator 2 has done (which means letting cloned mode work as well). When you're in the main menus, you can toggle Rift support on and off, so when you've finished driving and want to sort out fiddly meny stuff, you just take off the Rift and use your monitor in good old 2d. If you leave the ability to toggle it in there, then that's great for when HD Rifts get released and the menus are usable in VR.

That would work great for Hawken - get everything set up, then just put your Rift on when the match countdown starts, then take it off at the end of the match.

#26 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted October 29 2013 - 02:45 PM

i'd like to put my experience with the oculus rift and the new patch:

First of all,i noticed a lot of improvements were made...love the new UI:keep it up!
Anyway there are still some issues that should be fixed:

First of all the Menu:
setting the distance changes the dimensions but the focus point too...basically if you wanna read the UI you have to stick it to your face.
I suggest to increase the font dimensions (says 3x) and put the focus at infinity:this will relax your eyes and gives you more comfort. (take a look at the strike suit zero interface as example)

The Option for virtual HUD works very good.

It remains ome big problem: FOV and convergence during game:
Changing the FOV is an useless option since the Oculus rift needs his proper FOV (110 degrees)
The issue is that the convergence and separation  is completely wrong: i had a lot of experience with the OR,but this is the first time i had headache after 10 minutes of game.
You put the 3d effect too strong,and the result is that all the scene seems underscaled, especially the cockpit.
As consequence of the eyestrain i had headache and nausea.

As i said, glad to see there are improvements,but you should take seriously in consideration this concerns,or the game will be basically unplayable at this stage.

Thanks for the interest, hope it helps.

Edited by torc, October 29 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Posted Image

#27 mechpilot1111

mechpilot1111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 30 2013 - 08:08 PM

1. IPD is set way too high by default, making your mech's cockpit look like the inside of a helmet and the world seem tiny.

2. The previous way of manually setting IPD using eg EyeDistance=0.031000 doesn't work anymore so we're stuck with the incorrect default setting. This needs to be a setting in the rift menu of the UI.

3. HUD health and class labels on other mechs are drawn at the wrong depth - they should be drawn at the same depth in the world as the mech they refer to rather than at the depth of your HUD map. This is important because the current difference in depth between mechs and their corresponding labels means that if you focus on the mech then the label appears doubled and vice versa. EDIT: The same applies to the HUD objective markers which should be drawn at the same depth as the objective.

4. The position and depth of your HUD health and fuel bars clash horribly with your cockpit, ruining the 3D experience. A far better arrangement would be to draw your health bar above your crosshair in the area between the upper tips of your weapon heat bars, with your fuel bar displayed below your crosshair in the area between the lower tips of your weapon heat bars (ie so your health, fuel and heat bars form a rectangular shape with a flat top and bottom and curved sides around the crosshair, so that the entire shape fits in the central area of your cockpit glass).

5. The depth of your HUD map also clashes unpleasantly with your cockpit, it would be better to draw it in the center of your view where your crosshair is currently and allow Rift users to toggle between displaying either the map or the crosshair with a key or button press.

6. The team kills, enemy kills and timer displays are way too big and get in the way. It would be nice if this info was displayed on a monitor in your cockpit rather than on the HUD, failing that it needs to be drawn smaller so it obscures less of your view (particularly the background grid bit which currently blocks about ten times as much of your view as it needs to).

7. The zoom on the sniper rifles doesn't work well with the Rift. EDIT: The problem is that headtracking is really sensitive when zoomed so if your head is slightly off-center when you zoom or if you move your head even a little bit then you'll lose sight of the crosshair. Ideally headtracking should be disabled as soon as you zoom and the camera should be locked to the crosshair. Then you can aim with the mouse without headtracking interfering until you zoom back out, at which point headtracking should be re-enabled.

8. The text size in the menus is still far too small to comfortably read.

9. When you die and your view switches to inside an enemy mech whilst you're waiting to respawn, the orientation of your virtual head is incorrect until you respawn (this is a lot less annoying than the issue in the previous build where your virtual head's orientation was incorrect AFTER respawning but it's still less than ideal). EDIT: This is gametype dependent - online modes work fine, but offline team deathmatch and offline bot match both suffer from this issue.

10. During repairs your mech seems to disappear and your FOV becomes distorted.

11. Your head is offset slightly to the left in B class mechs.

12. Reflections are drawn incorrectly during the victory lineup phase where you see the top six mechs standing in a line in a watery scene.

Cheers,
DD

Edited by mechpilot1111, November 03 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#28 GamerVolta

GamerVolta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 02:28 AM

I have the new patch and I'd love to test out Hawken on the Rift, but I cant seem to get it to work.

I selected the option for activate rift on full screen, however when I switch the game to fullscreen, it never properly appears on the rift or allows me to control with it.

This occurs if i'm duplicating my display or just setting the Rift as my main.

Is there something I'm missing here_

#29 Fluke

Fluke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostGamerVolta, on October 31 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

I have the new patch and I'd love to test out Hawken on the Rift, but I cant seem to get it to work.

I selected the option for activate rift on full screen, however when I switch the game to fullscreen, it never properly appears on the rift or allows me to control with it.

This occurs if i'm duplicating my display or just setting the Rift as my main.

Is there something I'm missing here_

Your monitor needs to be you primary display, with your Rift extended. When you run the game, your desktop should stay displayed on your monitor while Hawken should show on your Rift.

Just one thing to point out - I had 3 devices plugged in to my gfx card (2 monitors and the Rift), and I had issues until I unplugged my 2nd monitor. Might be worth a try unplugging any additional monitors if you have any.

#30 Wavefunction

Wavefunction

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 03 2013 - 06:18 AM

I like the new patch so far (much better UI) but I really can't stand playing it at the Rift's native resolution. Isn't there a way we could duplicate our display instead of extending it so we can downsample from 1080p instead of just having it locked to 800p_ Downsampling from 1080p makes it look way better. As it currently is, it looks like Minecraft.

Has anyone found a way to run it in duplicated display mode to get a higher res_  

Even better, has anyone found a way to make it look better_

Edited by Wavefunction, November 03 2013 - 06:19 AM.

#31 mechpilot1111

mechpilot1111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 03 2013 - 10:27 PM

After a bit more investigation I've figured out that Hawken now reads your IPD from the oculus configuration utility. The problem is that the game is setting that value as the distance each eye is offset from the center rather than the distance between your eyes i.e. it's effectively doubling the IPD set by the utility. Obviously this needs to be fixed by the devs, but in the meantime you can have your cockpit and the world scaled correctly by setting your IPD to half of its true value in the oculus config utility.

I've also found a file called HawkenUI.ini in C:UsersYOURNAMEDocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig. If you open that and scroll down to the [HawkenGame.R_Gfx_Visor] section at the bottom you can reposition elements of the HUD. (Unfortunately you can't control the size or depth of these elements but at least you can position them so they don't clash so badly with your cockpit). For A class mechs I use the following values:

ScreenPosRadarRift=(X=640.0,Y=250.0)
ScreenPosVitalsRift=(X=640.0,Y=460.0)
ScreenPosMatchInfoRift=(X=640.0,Y=150.0)

..which result in this layout:

Posted Image

For B and C class mechs I use these values:

ScreenPosRadarRift=(X=800.0,Y=400.0)
ScreenPosVitalsRift=(X=640.0,Y=460.0)
ScreenPosMatchInfoRift=(X=640.0,Y=150.0)

...which look like this:

Posted Image

(Obviously back up the file before messing with it).
Cheers,
DD

#32 Wavefunction

Wavefunction

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 05 2013 - 06:24 AM

Great post! Now my mech looks proportionally correct. I really hope the devs implement this stuff by default into the next patch.

I also found a way to make it less pixellated, however it does mess up the HUD. Just edit DefaultSystemSettings.ini and set ScreenPercentage at a higher value like 150 or 200. It eats the CPU a bit but if you can handle it the game looks a million times better.

I really hope they can let us run it in 1080p or with a higher ScreenPercentage value while keeping the HUD intact with the next patch so it'll be that much better. Then all it will need is better menus to reach it's potential.

Edited by Wavefunction, November 05 2013 - 06:24 AM.

#33 Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 07:26 PM

Has anybody figured out how to fix the mouse being stuck at the right side of the screen, thus being unable to actually start the game or make settings changes, since the menu is on the left side of the screen_  A couple other people in this thread mentioned the problem, but got no response.  Not only is the game unplayable on my Rift because of that, it's unplayable, period, because I can't go into settings to turn off the Rift.

#34 KoningStoma

KoningStoma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostDreamwriter, on November 23 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Has anybody figured out how to fix the mouse being stuck at the right side of the screen, thus being unable to actually start the game or make settings changes, since the menu is on the left side of the screen_  A couple other people in this thread mentioned the problem, but got no response.  Not only is the game unplayable on my Rift because of that, it's unplayable, period, because I can't go into settings to turn off the Rift.

What are your resolution settings in windows_ For me it only works when I extend the displays.

#35 Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm extending it - I can see the game in the Oculus just fine, in full 3D, and I can look around the hangar area behind the menu.  But the mouse cursor stays on the right edge if the screen, when I move the mouse to the left it stops.  My main monitor is set to a resolution of 2560x1080, the Rift is to the right of that, I believe at 1280x800.

#36 CPG_Carateja

CPG_Carateja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hello everyone, I am new to the community.

I wanted to know if there is any way to record my games with beepa fraps while using my Oculus Rift. (to be extended screen fraps does not record anything)

Help please!

#37 Krieger_X099

Krieger_X099

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted December 11 2013 - 06:25 AM

Hi guys.

Rift stopped working for me since Wreckage.  Did this effect anyone else_

I am starting the game with the -vr command as before and set the rift as an extension rather than a clone, as before.  Now it simply doesn't fire the game up in the extended display.  It fires up what appears to be a window in the main display but the window is limited to the close screen button only.  tiny.

#38 Captain_Splat

Captain_Splat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 06:20 PM

Try pressing f11 it might not be in full screen

#39 jf3000

jf3000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 12:24 AM

So many people replying and so many people giving instructions yet there isnt a thread on exactly how to do this, still lots of people unsure including myself.

#40 tretiotre

tretiotre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 29 2014 - 10:27 AM

Has anyone got it to work in the latest version of Hawken_ I'm new to the rift and thought I'd give it a go. I've gotten it to work in various games/applications but Hawken won't even show up in the right display mode. The menu just looks as usual and I don't have to option to choose the oculus in "devices".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users