HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Un-Official Maps and Info of Illal and it's Solar System

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#141 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted April 17 2014 - 07:00 AM

View PostSandSpider, on April 06 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you :)
is that an accept_ Sorry not very preceptive...

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#142 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted September 15 2014 - 02:24 AM

In continuing my development of Illal maps, I present to you Illal 2.0.

This is a completely new map using a whole set of new textures. I’ve reused some of the city textures because I like them so much, but I have altered or added to them.

First, the whole map:  This is Illal before the Crion incident.

Spoiler

Next is Kobalt City, Crion.
For those of you who don’t yet know, the Typhus Research Facility located in Praxis Valley on Crion’s man made island, was the epicentre of the Crion Incident.  The disaster that unleashed the Hawken virus that is now slowly engulfing the planet.

Spoiler

Moving on, we have the largest mega city on Illal, Andromeda. This vast city thousands of miles wide is home of Prosk Industries.

Spoiler

South Prosk

Spoiler

Next, we have the home mega city of Sentium Dynamics, named Titan. This is the second largest mega city on Illal. It is filled with some of the most Impressive architecture in the Terran Hyper Republic.

Spoiler

South of both Prosk and Sentium is Death Lake. This small inland sea has been used for several decades by Prosk and Sentium as a dumping ground for all of their toxic waste. The chemicals pumped into the lake have found there way into the ground water that feeds the Ashihan Forests and has caused some interesting mutations in the plant life.

Spoiler

A few thousand miles south of the Ashihan Forests is Sentium’s abandoned Caverite mine.

Spoiler

Going further south, we have the frigid Arctus region, home of Bunker 167.  This high altitude area is a rocky, permanently frozen place, with freezing winds and an unforgiving landscape.

Spoiler

Halfway around the planet in a warm wet region is an enormous swamp. This area is know as the Namachi Swamplands. It is a treacherous place where many Axes have been lost, sunk in the mire.

Spoiler

Further still, is Brosos, a large ancient desert area speckled with mountains and valleys,  which surround a large inland sea called the Brosan Sea.

Spoiler

Edited by SandSpider, September 15 2014 - 02:52 AM.

#143 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 02:50 AM

The North Pole of Illal is a medium sized continent permanently covered in a thick layer of ice.

Spoiler

The South Pole is a large ice cap.

Spoiler

There is an interesting geological feature that looks like an enormous tear in the surface of Illal. This canyon is named Rift Valley but mostly just known as The Rift. It bears a passing resemblance to Valles Marineris on Mars, but is much bigger and volcanic in make up. The floor of the canyon resembles Needles National Park in the United States of America. It is a treasure trove of minerals and heavy metals and is the sight of constant conflict between Sentium and Prosk.

Spoiler

#144 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 04:21 AM

Here are all the textures for this map.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#145 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted September 15 2014 - 08:17 AM

*saved for further references for HWKN* :ph34r:

Great to see you again SandSpider!

#146 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted September 15 2014 - 05:31 PM

Once again, very very nice work.

This is your most realistic map of Illal yet!
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#147 ZeroSteelfist

ZeroSteelfist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 15 2014 - 08:55 PM

Truly impressive work.

#148 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 10:41 PM

Salute SandSpider!

I've had to check out those maps. Impressive work though I've found some inconsistency in resolution in some parts. So.. You've spent spare time to search on google maps, then 'kitbash' them and merge together_ But there's one thing i don't understand... I don't want to sound mean or anything but why Your renders looks so rough_ With such a quality source material created You're only one small step from creating the masterpiece!

What software did You use_ I'm not an expert in 3d but i could share few tips ;)

I've only added cloud map plus baked normal map from diffuse color (via Quixel nDO) to get extra depth yet the feel's completely different:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#149 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted September 16 2014 - 06:32 AM

Okay, I really need to start using Photoshop and Blender in tandem more.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#150 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the comments guys, it's good to be back.  To answer your questions Pelax, I see what I am doing as a continuous process that has been going on for the last year.  You see what I was like when I started.  With this map, it is the first time that I have used a random terrain generator to shape the continent and islands. I have also mixed new textures with some older ones which is why there is a difference with resolutions.  I intend to correct this with my next map which will be Illal 2.01.  I've never done this kind of art work before in such detail so I'm learning as I go.

As for the software, I use Paint Shop Pro 8 for the art work and Bryce 7 pro for 3d rendering. I do everything by hand.

I have to say that I love the renders that you have done, particularly the last one which looks just like a satellite photo.

Edited by SandSpider, September 17 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#151 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 09:05 PM

Paint Shop & Bryce_ Since i'm PC guy I've never worked on those two. So my only advice then is adding a fine rez cloud map. Here's a good source:

http://www.shadedrel...ges/clouds.html

You need 3 spheres - one for ground, second a little bigger for clouds, third the biggest for glow effect of the atmosphere.

Like i've written earlier it's good to have now-a-days a normal map. Quixel Suite is good for baking the maps from a single photo:

But that's a photoshop plugin so i don't think You'll be interested. But i'm sure there a number of plugs to bake textures from a bitmap on Mac too! Then You could make the entire 2d color/diffuse map, then bake it to get normal, specular, cavity, height, displacement maps and push it to 3d!

The finishing touches for me are two thing: film noise and adding chromatic abberation (separating RGB channels). Of course there's also color correction, lens flares or adding a color gradient to make it more interesting. Those things are responsible for the 'pro' look ;)

#152 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the clouds map, I was finding it difficult to find a good one big enough.

#153 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted October 26 2014 - 05:43 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by SandSpider, October 26 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#154 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted October 26 2014 - 05:49 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#155 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted October 26 2014 - 05:59 AM

My latest map, Illal 2.03 is sharper, has more detail and completely new textures.

Posted Image

New Locations map below.

Posted Image

Photo of The Rift looking from the south western end. This was taken with a Sentium 3000 Laser Cam.

Posted Image

Edited by SandSpider, October 26 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#156 Magnolia1038

Magnolia1038

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationThe Pen Is Mightier Than The Axe

Posted October 26 2014 - 08:53 AM

Fantastic work as always! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users