HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Skillfires: The New Stupid

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted November 14 2013 - 06:28 AM

Ever played against 4 bruisers or rocketeers on Last Eco_ If you have, you probably know what I mean. This scenario is just plain boring: you go out in the open → you die; you don't go out in the open → nothing happens. And if you want to fight in the open and don't want to die, you'll have to flee a lot and repair a lot. Add a technician to the equation, and you'll get a boring-ass game that I don't want to be part of. This is why I normally skip Last Eco and Bazaar.

I completely don't understand why the devs buffed hellfires. No-one ever asked for it.

Were they underpowered prior to Invasion_ Don't think so.
Have the devs ever tried to dodge hellfires on a high ping_ Don't think so.

I think they should be returned to where they were. It might be a good idea to switch to manual laser-pointer homing.

What do you think_

Edited by DerMax, November 15 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#2 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted November 14 2013 - 06:36 AM

The Hellfires is the only thing I would flak the Dev. team for. I remember the first time I shot it after Ascension was out. A tear comes to my eyes, it was so beautiful to watch!

Edited by Aregon, November 14 2013 - 06:36 AM.

I`ll fix it later.

#3 hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationShow Me State

Posted November 14 2013 - 06:41 AM

Been there DerMax three tanks and a tec at the AA everyone just staying back trying to pick them off then you going in bunny hopping all over the place just to get a shot in then getting killed for nothing and getting bashed for bunny hopping...... sigh.... I got nothing.......sorry......[I don't play ECO much either]

Edited by hoghead, November 14 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#4 CSSS

CSSS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas, the Greatest Nation in the World

Posted November 14 2013 - 06:47 AM

Holy fuzzy bunny, have you actually been tapped into me an Tubes' private conversations_

Because it's like we're connected.

#5 zaepp

zaepp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationGet to da AA!

Posted November 14 2013 - 06:49 AM

Yeah I know Bruiser is OP atm. :D

Joke aside.

Yeah, I agree, sometimes it gets annoying. I had 2 Bruisers, 3 Rockies and a Tech, at least three of them were equipped with MK-3 shields. No way to get near them.  

When I encounter such a combo I just try to suppress the suppressors and switch to
- Sharpshooter
- Bruiser
- Rocketeer
- maybe Reaper
- maybe Predator

Edited by zaepp, November 14 2013 - 06:50 AM.

It's just the trees Johnny, just the trees ... (Unknown pilot after his first TDM on Last Eco)

Adapt or GTFO! (Unknown pilot after Steam FUBAR)

Enlist for competitive FarmVille today!  

#6 hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationShow Me State

Posted November 14 2013 - 06:58 AM

View Postzaepp, on November 14 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Yeah I know Bruiser is OP atm. :D

Joke aside.

Yeah, I agree, sometimes it gets annoying. I had 2 Bruisers, 3 Rockies and a Tech, at least three of them were equipped with MK-3 shields. No way to get near them.  

When I encounter such a combo I just try to suppress the suppressors and switch to
- Sharpshooter
- Bruiser
- Rocketeer
- maybe Reaper
- maybe Predator
EXACTLY!!!!

#7 m3talc0re

m3talc0re

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 06:59 AM

Nothing wrong with Hellfires right now other than them not working half the time. A team full of any one mech is usually unbalanced as hell. Facing a team full of Rocketeers or Bruisers on Lost Eco_ How about using one of the MANY flanking routes, and get around and up in their faces.

The problem isn't Hellfires, it's poor team coordination. And that's made worse with poor communication abilities. IE: Mics not working worth a damn and chat messages being constantly dropped.

Edited by m3talc0re, November 14 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#8 Rajhin

Rajhin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 07:00 AM

It is funny to read about "teh new stupid" from the guy with failsafe on his main - and only - mech. Seriously.

Hellfires itself is fine now and needed latest buff since they were fuzzy bunnied in ascension. The problem is level design of some maps, in particular eco and bazaar.
But. Mechs isn't classes from the WoW, it is more like weapons from UT. Different weapons are suited for different situations. So making them equal in every situation isn't a priority - just take hellfire (or sniper to counter it) mech if you find it appropriate.
Actually I like how this eco map forced players to learn new mechs and new tactics and how all that teams of deathballing shield scouts suck in this map.

Edited by Rajhin, November 14 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#9 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted November 14 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hellfires are certainly NOT FINE. Their curving magic is a prime example of that. I've seen them curve 180 degrees, which sux big time. Their mechanics is flawed and they are in dire need of a rework.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#10 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted November 14 2013 - 07:28 AM

Ever played against 6 hellfirs mechs in one team_ Yes.

What did you do to pwn them_

I cloaked :D

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#11 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted November 14 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostRajhin, on November 14 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

It is funny to read about "teh new stupid" from the guy with failsafe on his main - and only - mech. Seriously.

Hellfires itself is fine now and needed latest buff since they were fuzzy bunnied in ascension. The problem is level design of some maps, in particular eco and bazaar.
But. Mechs isn't classes from the WoW, it is more like weapons from UT. Different weapons are suited for different situations. So making them equal in every situation isn't a priority - just take hellfire (or sniper to counter it) mech if you find it appropriate.
Actually I like how this eco map forced players to learn new mechs and new tactics and how all that teams of deathballing shield scouts suck in this map.

I use the basic failsafe, not its big brother. But yeah, you have a point here, and I agree that the problem at hand is the level design. Deeming mechs as weapons is an interesting approach, but I like playing infiltrator and don't want to be forced to use other mechs out of my will. Also (and I know this is a bad argument) sniping when your ping is about 200−300 ms is barely an option.

View PostFakeName, on November 14 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

Their Vulcans don't care whether you're cloaked or not.

Edited by DerMax, November 14 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#12 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted November 14 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostDerMax, on November 14 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

View PostFakeName, on November 14 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

Their Vulcans don't care whether you're cloaked or not.

Does not work on long range. Sneak behind them and kick their GOD DAMN camper ass until they die.

PS: Had a deathmacth against a bruiser on Facillity. He permanentely camped on the open spot of the map. Fortunately I had the score advantage so HE had come to me, which he didn't do and so I won. Simple. These guys need to learn to paly agressive and not to "keep distance OMG it's too dangerouse and fast in close combat".

Edited by FakeName, November 14 2013 - 07:35 AM.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#13 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationIt came from space

Posted November 14 2013 - 07:37 AM

Hellfires are useless up close and there is always ways to get up close.  It does suck to get hit with 3 hellfires volleys all at once, but it is easily countered.
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the Gun."

"THREE!"

#14 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted November 14 2013 - 07:44 AM

View Postspace_, on November 14 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

Hellfires are useless up close and there is always ways to get up close.  It does suck to get hit with 3 hellfires volleys all at once, but it is easily countered.
Uh... no. If positioned properly, 3 Rocketeers can cover MOST of any given area's escape routes and render most covers useless. In situations like those you WILL take at least 1 volley at a time. It certainly is not EASILY countered.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#15 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationIt came from space

Posted November 14 2013 - 07:50 AM

Not easily countered by a single person but with teamwork and a good rush sure, especially on eco given how the AA is shaped close range mechs can wreck havoc on eco.

Big problem with hellfires is a bunch of people on the same team using them can be effective with very little coordination but it takes coordination of 3-4 people to counter effectively.
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the Gun."

"THREE!"

#16 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 08:25 AM

I know this sounds dumb, but has anyone tried to counter hellfires with holograms_ The missles go through usually, but if you have eight of them scattered about then locking onto anything would be a pain.

#17 zaepp

zaepp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationGet to da AA!

Posted November 14 2013 - 08:31 AM

View Postspo0n, on November 14 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

I know this sounds dumb, but has anyone tried to counter hellfires with holograms_ The missles go through usually, but if you have eight of them scattered about then locking onto anything would be a pain.

People do that quite often when they camp the AA on LAST ECO. Quite effective IMO, because its a pain to lock on the right target from afar between all that hologram-fuzzy bunny.

Edited by zaepp, November 14 2013 - 08:41 AM.

It's just the trees Johnny, just the trees ... (Unknown pilot after his first TDM on Last Eco)

Adapt or GTFO! (Unknown pilot after Steam FUBAR)

Enlist for competitive FarmVille today!  

#18 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted November 14 2013 - 09:09 AM

Sounds like most problem is with the map (Last Eco) as opposed to Hellfires which aren't as much of a pain in other fights.  

I like the suggestion about multiple holograms.
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#19 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted November 14 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostDerMax, on November 14 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

the problem at hand is the level design, I don't want to be forced to use other mechs out of my will, and ping is about 200−300 ms

I am trying to understand your point of view.
You think maps should be designed around what weopon/mech you prefer and your connectivity quality_!

Posted Image

Your initial grievance I can appreciate.
I've suffered enough hellfire barrages on last eco to find the motivation to eat right and excercise more.
But that other bit about changing map design for the reason's you listed kinda derailed my sympathies.

#20 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted November 14 2013 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, Last Eco is looking good but once again pretty dumb in terms of game balance. -_-

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users