HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Skillfires: The New Stupid

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#41 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted November 14 2013 - 11:27 AM

Damn so they buffed my rockets and I'm stuck with so much work I didnt even had the chance to play invasion yet...

#42 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted November 14 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostHideyoshiYaoi, on November 14 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

For the last freaking time, the hellfires do not "curve 180 degrees"

They don't start to track a target until about a quarter second after firing them.  That means until then, the missiles travel in a straight line, then begin to track a target.  This isn't magic, it's easily explainable technology.  Reaction wheels or micro thrusters are just two ways the little missiles can change direction before the main rocket begins firing, so stfu about it.  

Hellfires aren't broken.  I would rather fight a team of rocketeers over a team of scouts ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

Just stop running into the middle of a field like a fuzzy bunny and l2p

Posted Image
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#43 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted November 14 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostDerMax, on November 14 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Ever played against 4 bruisers or rocketeers on Last Eco_ If you have, you probably know what I mean. This scenario is just plain boring: you go out in the open → you die; you don't go out in the open → nothing happens. And if you want to fight in the open and don't want to die, you'll have to flee a lot and repair a lot. Add a technician to the equation, and you'll get a boring-ass game that I don't want to be part of. This is why I normally skip Last Eco and Bazaar.

I completely don't understand why the devs buffed hellfires. No-one ever asked for it.

Were they underpowered prior to Invasion_ Don't think so.
Have the devs ever tried to dodge hellfires on a high ping_ Don't think so.

I think they should be returned to where they were.

What do you think_

My guess is the hellfires got a buff due to metrics the devs analyzed...

BTW, I have played MA on Eco where it was both teams running about 4 rocketeers and it was a hoot!
Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

#44 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted November 14 2013 - 11:55 AM

For the last freaking time, the hellfires do not "curve 180 degrees"

They don't start to track a target until about a quarter second after firing them.  That means until then, the missiles travel in a straight line, then begin to track a target.  This isn't magic, it's easily explainable technology.  Reaction wheels or micro thrusters are just two ways the little missiles can change direction before the main rocket begins firing, so stfu about it.  

Hellfires aren't broken.  I would rather fight a team of rocketeers over a team of scouts ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

Just stop running into the middle of a field like a fuzzy bunny and l2p

+1 for truth!
Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

#45 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted November 14 2013 - 12:05 PM

For the last freaking time,  This isn't magic, it's easily explainable technology.  Reaction wheels or micro thrusters are just two ways the little missiles can change direction before the main rocket begins firing, so stfu about it.  

Dude (or Dudette), whoa there!
So much nerd rage :angry: over a few "reaction wheels or micro thrusters" :rolleyes:

Let's just chill out for a minute. Drink some milk, and noone gets hurt.

Posted Image

#46 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 12:25 PM

hellfires are OP at low level and UP at high level, generally speaking, and have been since 12.12.12. experienced targets simply wont engage hellfires without cover. plus infil just negates hellfires with cloak. and holograms. and CQC.  hang on what are hellfires good for again_ oh yeah guys with no cover. sometimes.

#47 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationIt came from space

Posted November 14 2013 - 12:27 PM

Ya personally I never find hellfires to be OMG OP lawl.. I reserve those comments for Raider OMGGGG OP
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the Gun."

"THREE!"

#48 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostKrellus, on November 14 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

hellfires are OP at low level and UP at high level, generally speaking, and have been since 12.12.12. experienced targets simply wont engage hellfires without cover. plus infil just negates hellfires with cloak. and holograms. and CQC.  hang on what are hellfires good for again_ oh yeah guys with no cover. sometimes.

So I wonder why they keep on balancing for low tier. Against Infil you just need a shield and Failsafes, he really can't cloak forever, lol. All else fails fly away, what's he going to do boost at you in cloak for 3 seconds with no fuel left to dodge_ XD

Edited by Sylhiri, November 14 2013 - 12:30 PM.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#49 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 12:35 PM

Infil > Bruiser or Rock at close range

"THREE!"

#50 BlackCephie

BlackCephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.

Posted November 14 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think that hellfires are in a solid place right now. That said, I think they are still SLIGHTLY too effective at almost ANY range for what they should be, which is essentially long range support.
Posted Image

#51 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 12:42 PM

Last update increased min lock distance.. they really are only good dumbfire in close range since invsion, and HFM dumbfire < pretty much anything else in cqc

"THREE!"

#52 burns1124

burns1124

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted November 14 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostNvain, on November 14 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

View Postburns1124, on November 14 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

snip

I'm fine with HFs making the shots that cannot be made by direct fire secondaries, and OP is a very subjective word hence I didn't use it :P
I'm glad that their tracking capabilities got improved, as it seemed to cause trouble for the players who used them regularly, however I do believe that their damage increase was uncalled for and that the bugs that plague them (sharp corner turning & flying through walls) need to be fixed.

IIRC hellfire's received no damage increase/decrease in Invasion, only better tracking and Minimum lock distance

View PostNvain, on November 14 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

As with every other online game, the forum community is always the minority... About the naive part, perhaps you're confusing what I said earlier with "I doubt that people would come to the forums and write silly things", which they actually do, sometimes. I think that the number of people who think "oh I'll just check out the forum and agree/disagree with this to see what happens", without any sort of basic reasoning behind, is low.

There are quite a few folks that will only take a counter argument to others, they are the minority, but the amount of bad ideas and just plain stupidity (i.e.. Any post ever that claims Reaper is underpowered) that floats around here is astounding.

#53 m3talc0re

m3talc0re

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 01:52 PM

Also, I dunno about all of you, but my Hellfires are buggy as hell. Last night I was playing and I kept spamming my lock button and never had the lock animation show up. They wouldn't lock at all. And then when they did lock, them breaking lock was highly probable. IE: You get lock, turn to curve the trajectory, then they all just fly off in that direction instead.

#54 Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted November 14 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hellfires in and of themselves aren't really the issue aside from ease of use not really coinciding with their effectiveness. The issue with Hellfires right now is when you get a team of Bruisers and Rocketeers on a map like Eco or Bazaar. CQC is really not feasible at that point, Bruisers with the new ability are far too hardy and Rocketeers are sturdy to begin with. Anything that gets close is going to be dead long before the Hellfire squad, and simply sticking together in a ball becomes more effective than it already usually is. Without the kind of coordination that you aren't going to find in a pub, the other team really has no choice but to resort to their own long-range harassment and the match becomes a boring stalemate with less than 20 kills per side.

#55 Kenpos

Kenpos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted November 14 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostHatesYourFace, on November 14 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

I don't know who was calling for a Hellfire buff, but I'm pretty sure no one was.

The few people who were complaining about "unreliable locks" doesn't really justify the changes imo.

Were few people complaining because few people chose to play a mech with Hellfires, cause they sucked hard. Half of the time, if no more, they missed for no good reason. They needed a buff and now they are fine, that's it.

#56 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted November 14 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostDew, on November 14 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Hellfires in and of themselves aren't really the issue aside from ease of use not really coinciding with their effectiveness. The issue with Hellfires right now is when you get a team of Bruisers and Rocketeers on a map like Eco or Bazaar. CQC is really not feasible at that point, Bruisers with the new ability are far too hardy and Rocketeers are sturdy to begin with. Anything that gets close is going to be dead long before the Hellfire squad, and simply sticking together in a ball becomes more effective than it already usually is. Without the kind of coordination that you aren't going to find in a pub, the other team really has no choice but to resort to their own long-range harassment and the match becomes a boring stalemate with less than 20 kills per side.

I actually like these maps because they are the only ones that dont dissolve into stalemate shoot outs from across the map. I find uptown and origin to be the biggest offenders of that but maybe thats just me.

Anyways carry on.

#57 JudgeGrey

JudgeGrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationFDL WIsconsin

Posted November 14 2013 - 03:23 PM

It's the jakes that make the job. It's the Jake behind the wheel.
It's the Jake that rides beside 'em whose nerves are edged with steel.
It's the jakes that ride behind them when the truck rolls to a call.
The sirens blare and we say a prayer 'til they're home safe one and all.

#58 Nvain

Nvain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostFstroke, on November 14 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

I actually like these maps because they are the only ones that dont dissolve into stalemate shoot outs from across the map. I find uptown and origin to be the biggest offenders of that but maybe thats just me.

I find it to be quite the opposite :blink: I noticed that when I'm playing on Bazaar, Last Eco especially, and the other team is composed of 4 or 5 HF using mechs, it leads to my teammates dying and then immediately rushing back into the enemies, one by one, without regrouping. When that starts happening the game is pretty much over. I find that super boring and it doesn't happen on the other maps, at least not to that degree.

#59 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted November 14 2013 - 03:33 PM

The main thing that I do not like about the post Invasion Hellfires is the new tracking. Having them follow after their target is not nearly as interesting as having them lead it. The old tracking is what made most of the skillshots possible, and meant that you had to know how the weapon worked to use it well. But now, they are so much simpler and easier to use that they are just boring. Boring to play with, and boring to play against.

I have been using the Bruiser since CB3, and I though that the Hellfires had never been better than with Ascention. But now they have ruined that by making them too simple and easy to use.

And the glitches are a pain, too. Watching a Hellfire volley incoming, dodging behind a wall, seeing the missiles all hit the wall, then taking full damage anyway is fun...
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#60 Lucier

Lucier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted November 14 2013 - 03:35 PM

I am amused that there has been so much complaining recently about a weapon that really hasn't been changed beyond a minor bug fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users