HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Leon's Guide to Dealing With Scouts

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostLeonhardt, on December 07 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

If they do the smart thing and try to leave blow them to bits at range or back off if they have gone too far or are too close to their team, but remember to rejoice because for every second that scout spends fighting you and getting nothing there are kills on the map he/she is missing out on and their team is fighting a man down.

So is it normal not to get a Scout in Deathmatch_ It isn't just my problem_ Pheeew.

#22 peacecraftSLD

peacecraftSLD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 07 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostJeffMagnum, on December 07 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

View PostLeonhardt, on December 07 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Try as they might if you dodge properly they cannot get around behind you or deny you a shot. You can do this by turning your mouse before you dodge to cut at sharper angles in order to keep them in your sight line.

I don't think this was emphasized nearly enough. Dodging and strafing to adjust your aim more quickly than you could otherwise is an extremely important skill to learn regardless of what class you're in/fighting against, and I'd argue that it's almost impossible to win against a good player (especially if they're piloting an A-class at facehugging range) if you don't know how to do it. Dodging is a tool with much more utility than just avoiding damage--if you can learn how to use it to simultaneously avoid shots and adjust your aim, you'll be better off than the vast majority of players. Making macro changes in my aim with a dodge and then making additonal and generally smaller adjustments with my mouse while I'm in the dodge is something I use every single game, and if you learn nothing else from this post/Leon's post aside from realizing that dodging is an extension of aiming, you'll still find your gameplay will probably improve significantly once you get the hang of it.

I try to do this myself. It makes the kill look cool as you strafe behind cover and you catch a glimpse of the mech blowing up as you go behind cover. Almost like a hit(kill) and run.

It's the little things like this that can give that extra edge.

#23 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 12:20 PM

Impossible. A classes are way too OP. undefeatable.

#24 LONEDEADWOLF

LONEDEADWOLF

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationHell-Fires Point Of Origin

Posted December 07 2013 - 12:33 PM

I have in some occasions done some of this but to see more options is great. Ty Leon as many of the top players you are wise..... :wub:
meet death with both eyes open.....and a fist full of hell-fires...Long live the Rocketeer ©>~}~~~

#25 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 07 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostDeVact, on December 07 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Kudos for a great guide! Wasn't much help for me because I already knew most of it but it is a reference that can be used against butthurt newcomers that have problems facing scouts.

Sooo, thanks ;)

That is 90% of why I wrote it. lol

Posted Image

#26 OmniStone

OmniStone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 10:26 PM

OmniZen might have a bit of a ring to it :).

#27 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 07 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostOmniStone, on December 07 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

OmniZen might have a bit of a ring to it :).

OmniZen TM

I may have to secure that name. lol

Posted Image

#28 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 11:38 PM

hmm so against a scout, dont engage unless he is low fuel, and he can escape regardless with his ability.... and infiltrator, try and get some free dmg first... yeeeaahhhhh I think this just illustrates a-classes - and high mobility - are the strongest factors in the game (perhaps this is inevitable, I dunno).

#29 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 08 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostKrellus, on December 07 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

hmm so against a scout, dont engage unless he is low fuel, and he can escape regardless with his ability.... and infiltrator, try and get some free dmg first... yeeeaahhhhh I think this just illustrates a-classes - and high mobility - are the strongest factors in the game (perhaps this is inevitable, I dunno).

Sounds to me like you didn't empty your cup.

Posted Image

#30 HatesYourFace

HatesYourFace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted December 08 2013 - 10:15 AM

You could always just squash them_

Impact Damage:    

A Class                                              
Crushing (Dealt):100%    
Falling (Received):100%

B Class  
Crushing (Dealt):150%
Falling (Received):125%

C Class
Crushing (Dealt):200%
Falling (Received):165%

According to the websites game guide, Heavies actually do more crushing damage as well as suffer worse fall damage...Perhaps this is old news but I never knew.

Edited by HatesYourFace, December 08 2013 - 10:17 AM.

Posted Image

I also play on "PoundSignYoloSwag" (Assault/G2 Assault) and "FriendshipIsMagic" (Rocketeer) But haven't been able to add them to my Sig yet due to computer problems.

#31 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 08 2013 - 07:21 PM

Goomba Stomping has always been viable! :D

Posted Image

#32 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted December 09 2013 - 10:04 AM

This is soo much better than that worthless player guide made by Nept. Soo much better. (jk) <3

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#33 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted December 09 2013 - 11:05 AM

But Nept is so much more handsome.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#34 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 09 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostNept, on December 09 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

But Nept is so much more handsome.

Posted Image

Edited by Leonhardt, December 09 2013 - 11:17 AM.

Posted Image

#35 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted December 09 2013 - 11:11 AM

But but hes a lion

#36 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted December 09 2013 - 01:19 PM

I don't know, sometimes with the flak I shoot at people point blank and nothing happens.

I'm not so expert about its spread, but might it be that the smaller hitbox+higher mobility makes A classes harder to hit_

I'm saying this because I have much less problems with As playing a Vanguard than playing a Brawler. Another possible reason: grenade launcher is less predictable than TOW, and Vanguard is faster, has an easier time flying around and its weapons work at a better distance (SMC is underrated, IMHO, and sustained weapons do a better job at tracking down As). Maybe with playing the Guardian I'll become more confident even on the Brawler.

The thing I fear the most as a Brawler is getting jumped by a Zerker while I have no cover. It keeps flying over my head, where i have a hard time reaching it, and when I have it on my sight its advantage is already too big. Oh well, I guess practice makes perfect.

Edited by redslion, December 09 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#37 Alpha_Stryke

Alpha_Stryke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted December 09 2013 - 03:27 PM

Great guide Leon. I was wondering if this was gonna be serious when the intro was about Zen masters, but you delivered and some how kept that intro relevent to the guide. :D

Now to apply those principles in practice....

#38 Vdragon

Vdragon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationWhere you drink red wines, eat long breads, and put a beret on the top of your mech.

Posted December 09 2013 - 04:28 PM

Nothing i didn't already known, but it's still helpful to have it written as YOU write it in my head, know your ennemy better i'd say.
I would like to point something: I've remarked that you can't look right up of you, so everytime i can , i just sit on the top of the ennemy, as i play Infiltrator. Usually, peoples don't have the idea to dodge out of this position, so i make them some free damages while recharging my weapon, right before the next dodge, which will end in a full Heat + GL in the ennemy face.
An what about hybrid fly/ground tactics_

Edited by Vdragon, December 09 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#39 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 09 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostVdragon, on December 09 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Nothing i didn't already known, but it's still helpful to have it written as YOU write it in my head, know your ennemy better i'd say.
I would like to point something: I've remarked that you can't look right up of you, so everytime i can , i just sit on the top of the ennemy, as i play Infiltrator. Usually, peoples don't have the idea to dodge out of this position, so i make them some free damages while recharging my weapon, right before the next dodge, which will end in a full Heat + GL in the ennemy face.
An what about hybrid fly/ground tactics_

Hybrid fly/ground tactics can be dealt with using a combination of tactics outlined in the guide. If they are jumping over your head then you boost to reposition yourself with the advantage since the player moving in the air (particularly in a mech that does not have air dynamics tunning) cannot adjust the direction they are moving as quickly as the player on the ground.

You hit them after every dodge in the air while behind them and if they are landing just hit them right before they land. Unless you are very far away you will hit them right as they land or right as they jump back up.

If the enemy is using cover simply follow them around the corner and continue to trade because you will win as long as you don't give up free damage.

Edited by Leonhardt, December 09 2013 - 04:46 PM.

Posted Image

#40 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 08:37 AM

From my experience, against scouts you have to make distance, at least with Vanguards. Thus miniflak is much harder to use against them. If you stand at mid range, you make its Flak weaker, you can still land SMC and you can use Grenade Launcher (whose higher radius is a boon on those fights).

That means Flak brawlers have problems, IMHO. At hugging distance, a dodge is enough to bring scout away from you. You can counter dodge to correct the aim, but it's still hardly enough. And Scout dodges more often.

Might those things be correct, or am I wrong_ I'm kinda nooby and casual (played for a year and still level 18, because I used to play for some time, the stop for months, then play again, rinse and repeat), so I'm probably wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users