HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Leon's Guide to Dealing With Scouts

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 14 2013 - 09:14 AM

View Postredslion, on December 14 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

From my experience, against scouts you have to make distance, at least with Vanguards. Thus miniflak is much harder to use against them. If you stand at mid range, you make its Flak weaker, you can still land SMC and you can use Grenade Launcher (whose higher radius is a boon on those fights).

That means Flak brawlers have problems, IMHO. At hugging distance, a dodge is enough to bring scout away from you. You can counter dodge to correct the aim, but it's still hardly enough. And Scout dodges more often.

Might those things be correct, or am I wrong_ I'm kinda nooby and casual (played for a year and still level 18, because I used to play for some time, the stop for months, then play again, rinse and repeat), so I'm probably wrong.

So in a brawler you can't really create distance, but you can use the momentum of the scout to artificially create space. When they boost up to you dodge in accordance to keep them in POV. Even though your dodge cooldown is longer you have enough health and fuel to maintain good positioning.

Also I find the mini flak to be better than the SMC on the Vanguard, but that is a personal choice.

Posted Image

#42 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted December 14 2013 - 09:18 AM

I almost always play my Pred' mech.  I like the tactics and stuff you got here, I still have much trouble with the pesky scout mechs.  I'm not sure how to deal with them since the reload times of both my weapons is a little slow.  Or am I just using my mech wrong against scouts_

#43 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 14 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on December 14 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

I almost always play my Pred' mech.  I like the tactics and stuff you got here, I still have much trouble with the pesky scout mechs.  I'm not sure how to deal with them since the reload times of both my weapons is a little slow.  Or am I just using my mech wrong against scouts_

With the Pred you have to hit all of your shots, but because the mech is so unique you are also going to have to play the corners and bait the scout into making a bad decision. Use your ability to predict movement and hit them right as they round a corner then dodge back into cover. You have more health so if you play smart and hit your shots you will win.

Posted Image

#44 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted December 14 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostLeonhardt, on December 14 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

From my experience, against scouts you have to make distance, at least with Vanguards. Thus miniflak is much harder to use against them. If you stand at mid range, you make its Flak weaker, you can still land SMC and you can use Grenade Launcher (whose higher radius is a boon on those fights).

That means Flak brawlers have problems, IMHO. At hugging distance, a dodge is enough to bring scout away from you. You can counter dodge to correct the aim, but it's still hardly enough. And Scout dodges more often.

Might those things be correct, or am I wrong_ I'm kinda nooby and casual (played for a year and still level 18, because I used to play for some time, the stop for months, then play again, rinse and repeat), so I'm probably wrong.

So in a brawler you can't really create distance, but you can use the momentum of the scout to artificially create space. When they boost up to you dodge in accordance to keep them in POV. Even though your dodge cooldown is longer you have enough health and fuel to maintain good positioning.

Also I find the mini flak to be better than the SMC on the Vanguard, but that is a personal choice.

Just to elaborate on this a little bit...

If you just let a Scout run up to you and facehug you in a Brawler, you're down but not out.  Ideally, you would avoid the situation entirely.  You should be keeping a very close eye on your radar, and any dot moving right towards your position should tell you to face it and do as much damage as you can or fall back to a better position.  The Brawler may be slow, but its health still does confer a pretty large advantage.  If you trade blows with a Scout, he'll have to fall back long before you do.  Even one good flak or TOW hit before he gets all up in your grill can decide the fight in your favor (or even make them think twice).  Also bear in mind that if you have buddies around, that pesky Scout is a great deal easier to hit from their perspective.  It might be worthwhile to run and dodge around to try and extend your life and hope supporting fire can bring him down.

But, of course, that's not super useful advice if you round a corner and SCOUT IN YO FACE.  So, as Leon said, you have to dodge to maintain distance.  As was mentioned, the Scout can match your dodge, but two things:  one, that's actually pretty hard to do in an intense fight where he's also trying to keep weapons aimed on you; and two, Scouts run out of fuel really fast.  Even if he is riding your tail, it won't be too long before he's either walking or popping his ability (a Scout that uses its ability to win a firefight is probably in a pretty bad position, since a large portion of that reservoir will be used to finish up, resulting in say half a tank for escape... not great).

But less talk on outlasting and more talk on techniques.  So first off, conserve your dodges.  Dodges are pretty much the only way you can change momentum quickly.  If you try to change directions by just walking, you will feel like you are standing still for an eternity (and in the eyes of a Scout player, you might as well be).  The idea here is that if you are moving left (thus moving your cursor right to track your target), the Scout might try to dodge past you in the direction you are walking to throw off your aim.  So, you want to move right to create distance again.  You need a dodge to do this.  Not having one can really suck, so conserve them for the right time.  With practice, this will become the basic open-ground fighting pattern that you can rely on for fighting Type-A's.

And what if there's cover_  Even better!  Put some between you and the Scout.  Hugging it too closely can be detrimental, since your opponent might be able to hit you around the corner with a TOW.  Ideally, you should be as far away from the cover as the Scout is, with the cover mostly just blocking LOS.  Then it's just a game of pulling him into your pace and not falling into his.  A big part of why I run for cover is to get a split second to breath and find my center so to speak.  Again, trading shots, you'll win every single time.  Have some patience and don't lose your cool.  It's really important to remember that you can take a few shots and still be ahead.

Edit:  Also, I think it's important to note that these recommendations try to describe what I do in a fight, but I don't think most can expect to be all "Oh, that's all" and then just do it.  It takes some practice.  You have to get a feel for the fight and basically practice (i.e. play the game while mixing up techniques and trying new things in a fight and so on and so forth) until it becomes intuition.  I mean, that describes pretty well why i have trouble teaching others how to play Brawler.  I just find the movements and the tactics and everything... intuitive.  There's not that much higher-level thought going on during a fight.  Sometimes, sure.  But mostly I just... know... or feel... or something, I guess.  Most analysis comes after the fight.  Oh that was silly of me; I should have done X or Y sort of thing.  Essentially, don't give up immediately.  It took me a very long time before I could follow top-level Scout players (and even now I still lose track of them sometimes).

Edited by Daronicus, December 14 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#45 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostDaronicus, on December 14 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

GREAT WISDOM

Ah, I see! thanks a lot!

Yeah, I understand that it must be intuitive. I kinda realized it for the very small progress I made with a brawler.

Even if I can't do that yet, I see the reasoning behind this fight: with distance both mine and scout's weapons become weaker, and dodging becomes less effective, thus making higher armour count more, right_

Thanks again!^^

#46 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted December 14 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postredslion, on December 14 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

GREAT WISDOM

Ah, I see! thanks a lot!

Yeah, I understand that it must be intuitive. I kinda realized it for the very small progress I made with a brawler.

Even if I can't do that yet, I see the reasoning behind this fight: with distance both mine and scout's weapons become weaker, and dodging becomes less effective, thus making higher armour count more, right_

Thanks again!^^

That's actually an excellent way of boiling it all down :D

I'm glad I can help.  Anything to help people realize the Brawler's true potential!

#47 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted December 14 2013 - 06:10 PM

One thing I've noticed is when Scouts get ready to finish you off they'll often boost and hover to get a good angle for the Tow/Flak combo.  While it looks like a juicy target, I find I'm usually too slow to set my aim.  I've done better by reacting to mitigate damage by dodging or boosting away.  

I've also found using a Predator, many scouts will come around the corner airborne to avoid the mines on the ground.  I'm trying to set 1-2 on the wall now at mech height and pre-aiming at eye level w/ Breecher.  It's tricky to detonate and hit them w/ the Breecher.  

Using the Grenadier, I'm still working on dealing w/ that scenario as they'll go airborne to avoid the RevGL.  

The last thing is to be careful of how quickly they can slip away, heal, and then when you're engaged w/ a new mech, they return to finish you off.
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#48 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 14 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostDFTR, on December 14 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

One thing I've noticed is when Scouts get ready to finish you off they'll often boost and hover to get a good angle for the Tow/Flak combo.  While it looks like a juicy target, I find I'm usually too slow to set my aim.  I've done better by reacting to mitigate damage by dodging or boosting away.  

I've also found using a Predator, many scouts will come around the corner airborne to avoid the mines on the ground.  I'm trying to set 1-2 on the wall now at mech height and pre-aiming at eye level w/ Breecher.  It's tricky to detonate and hit them w/ the Breecher.  

Using the Grenadier, I'm still working on dealing w/ that scenario as they'll go airborne to avoid the RevGL.  

The last thing is to be careful of how quickly they can slip away, heal, and then when you're engaged w/ a new mech, they return to finish you off.

lol yeah, when I play a grenadier/heat cannon infiltrator/predator, my absolute worst fear is mechs like the zerker with TONS of points in air dynamics and the air dodging xD IM SO BAD WITH PROJECTILES lol

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#49 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 04:33 AM

View Postfingerknitter, on December 14 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

View PostDFTR, on December 14 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

lol yeah, when I play a grenadier/heat cannon infiltrator/predator, my absolute worst fear is mechs like the zerker with TONS of points in air dynamics and the air dodging xD IM SO BAD WITH PROJECTILES lol

Airborne zerkers have also been my nightmare.

As a C-class user, what usually happened was: Zerker ambushes me, and starts flying. It's very close and can stand over my head, where I can hardly hit it. Repeats until I blow up. The heavy burst makes also hard to boost away.

How I solved this: more map awareness to engage the zerker before it's over my head AND backpedalling while fighting, so that it can't go over my head and has to trade blows with me.

#50 Weezl3

Weezl3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:01 AM

View Postredslion, on December 15 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

As a C-class user, what usually happened was: Zerker ambushes me, and starts flying. It's very close and can stand over my head, where I can hardly hit it. Repeats until I blow up. The heavy burst makes also hard to boost away.

How I solved this: more map awareness to engage the zerker before it's over my head AND backpedalling while fighting, so that it can't go over my head and has to trade blows with me.

Map awareness is the key to solving most problems in a C class mech.

#51 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostWeezl3, on December 15 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

I agree, but IMHO it's too hard to play Brawler on a TDM. Mostly because what most players logically do is keep moving, staying with the team and falling back.

As a Brawler, I don't move much, and most of the time I get an enormous amount of deaths because I get surrounded by enemies and die for I can't keep up with my teammates, or stay and fight when they retreat. Even if I outplay some of my opponents, and end up near the top of my team, I always fear I might be an hindrance to it because of my deaths.

Things are different on a vanguard, though, and Brawler feels fair on deathmatch and incredibly strong on siege AA.

Edited by redslion, December 15 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#52 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostDaronicus, on December 14 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

View Postredslion, on December 14 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

GREAT WISDOM

Ah, I see! thanks a lot!

Thanks again!^^

That's actually an excellent way of boiling it all down :D

I'm glad I can help.  Anything to help people realize the Brawler's true potential!

Seriously great advice from one of the best Brawler players I know.  With the recent buffs now I'm gonna be really afraid whenever I face you ;)
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#53 DarkIcarus

DarkIcarus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA.

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:52 AM

I think about half of what Leon said is rubbish. Scouts are just too hard to hit and too fast.
Posted Image

#54 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 15 2013 - 11:10 AM

View Postredslion, on December 15 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

View PostWeezl3, on December 15 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

I agree, but IMHO it's too hard to play Brawler on a TDM. Mostly because what most players logically do is keep moving, staying with the team and falling back.

As a Brawler, I don't move much, and most of the time I get an enormous amount of deaths because I get surrounded by enemies and die for I can't keep up with my teammates, or stay and fight when they retreat. Even if I outplay some of my opponents, and end up near the top of my team, I always fear I might be an hindrance to it because of my deaths.

Things are different on a vanguard, though, and Brawler feels fair on deathmatch and incredibly strong on siege AA.

^ One of the reasons I play Siege the most despite its complete brokenness xD

BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#55 DeVact

DeVact

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Locationall over the place

Posted December 15 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostDarkIcarus, on December 15 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

I think about half of what Leon said is rubbish. Scouts are just too hard to hit and too fast.
You forgot /sarcasm
Or was your cup already full to the brim and you forgot to empty it_

DarkPulse said:

... less than witnessing Elvis crash a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster, seeing Bigfoot crawl out of the smoking wreckage, opening a wormhole in space, and then getting picked up by ET, Lando Calrissian, and an Arilou Lalee'Lay in the Space Battleship Yamato.

Posted Image

#56 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 15 2013 - 12:10 PM

I personally have a lot more trouble with heat infiltrators, that extra kick of health is enough to let the infiltrator kill me where a scout wouldn't...

BlackSteelBrotherhood

#57 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 21 2013 - 09:51 PM

View Postfingerknitter, on December 15 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

I personally have a lot more trouble with heat infiltrators, that extra kick of health is enough to let the infiltrator kill me where a scout wouldn't...

Against Heat Infil's you have to deny them the corner game as much as possible. Get in their face and force a trade in your favor. Don't let your opponent set the pace or you will lose.

Posted Image

#58 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted December 25 2013 - 11:00 AM

Useful information_ Certainly. All there is to know about fighting A-classes_ Not even close. Was that your intent_ Probably not.

The best counters are the ones you learn from playing the game first hand. You provide a good base foundation for people that are lost when it comes to fighting A-classes. Was a good and entertaining read.

#59 Grizzled

Grizzled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted December 25 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostLeonhardt, on December 14 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Just to elaborate on this a little bit...

If you just let a Scout run up to you and facehug you in a Brawler, you're down but not out.  Ideally, you would avoid the situation entirely.  You should be keeping a very close eye on your radar, and any dot moving right towards your position should tell you to face it and do as much damage as you can or fall back to a better position.  The Brawler may be slow, but its health still does confer a pretty large advantage.  If you trade blows with a Scout, he'll have to fall back long before you do.  Even one good flak or TOW hit before he gets all up in your grill can decide the fight in your favor (or even make them think twice).  Also bear in mind that if you have buddies around, that pesky Scout is a great deal easier to hit from their perspective.  It might be worthwhile to run and dodge around to try and extend your life and hope supporting fire can bring him down.

But, of course, that's not super useful advice if you round a corner and SCOUT IN YO FACE.  So, as Leon said, you have to dodge to maintain distance.  As was mentioned, the Scout can match your dodge, but two things:  one, that's actually pretty hard to do in an intense fight where he's also trying to keep weapons aimed on you; and two, Scouts run out of fuel really fast.  Even if he is riding your tail, it won't be too long before he's either walking or popping his ability (a Scout that uses its ability to win a firefight is probably in a pretty bad position, since a large portion of that reservoir will be used to finish up, resulting in say half a tank for escape... not great).

But less talk on outlasting and more talk on techniques.  So first off, conserve your dodges.  Dodges are pretty much the only way you can change momentum quickly.  If you try to change directions by just walking, you will feel like you are standing still for an eternity (and in the eyes of a Scout player, you might as well be).  The idea here is that if you are moving left (thus moving your cursor right to track your target), the Scout might try to dodge past you in the direction you are walking to throw off your aim.  So, you want to move right to create distance again.  You need a dodge to do this.  Not having one can really suck, so conserve them for the right time.  With practice, this will become the basic open-ground fighting pattern that you can rely on for fighting Type-A's.

And what if there's cover_  Even better!  Put some between you and the Scout.  Hugging it too closely can be detrimental, since your opponent might be able to hit you around the corner with a TOW.  Ideally, you should be as far away from the cover as the Scout is, with the cover mostly just blocking LOS.  Then it's just a game of pulling him into your pace and not falling into his.  A big part of why I run for cover is to get a split second to breath and find my center so to speak.  Again, trading shots, you'll win every single time.  Have some patience and don't lose your cool.  It's really important to remember that you can take a few shots and still be ahead.

Edit:  Also, I think it's important to note that these recommendations try to describe what I do in a fight, but I don't think most can expect to be all "Oh, that's all" and then just do it.  It takes some practice.  You have to get a feel for the fight and basically practice (i.e. play the game while mixing up techniques and trying new things in a fight and so on and so forth) until it becomes intuition.  I mean, that describes pretty well why i have trouble teaching others how to play Brawler.  I just find the movements and the tactics and everything... intuitive.  There's not that much higher-level thought going on during a fight.  Sometimes, sure.  But mostly I just... know... or feel... or something, I guess.  Most analysis comes after the fight.  Oh that was silly of me; I should have done X or Y sort of thing.  Essentially, don't give up immediately.  It took me a very long time before I could follow top-level Scout players (and even now I still lose track of them sometimes).

All of this is excellent!, Remember left/right weapon as well. Your Tow is on your left, you are at a small advantage if the cover is slightly to your right so that you have a cleaner line of fire for getting a shot around the corner.
Iligetimi carborundum est

#60 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted December 25 2013 - 08:08 PM

Thanks, a good read. Any thoughts on how best to use the reaper_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users