HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Sharpshooter in the current meta

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted December 12 2013 - 05:33 PM

Don't know how you guys feel about it. To be honest I don't see many at all that are performing well. How do you guys feel like sharpshooter feels in the current meta for TDM/MA_

Personally though, I still feel like it's very strong and I'm doing pretty well for myself.

Edited by Rei, December 12 2013 - 06:29 PM.

!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#2 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted December 12 2013 - 05:36 PM

first discussion in the gargle!

i have only played it once it seems to lack, idk, long range use, i see more people using it in CQC :/
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#3 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 05:41 PM

Lowest DPS and some of the poorest maneuverability in the game.  Was an over-nerf.

That being said, I'm indifferent so long as they leave the firing mechanics alone.  They make things interesting, and I don't want Adhesive fuzzy bunny with them.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#4 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted December 12 2013 - 05:41 PM

not a single ss nerf topic since..forever, something must be wrong with it

- lok'tar ogar -

#5 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 05:45 PM

They seem overly reliant on their ability which in turn seems overly effective.

I think they should be improved in general and their ability should be less extream (more duration less damage boost).

#6 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 06:11 PM

I am actually in a different boat, and I feel as if they are fine as is. I have no problem playing it against just about any mech. It has it's place of bullying out hellfire mechs, but loses pretty easily to people just walking forward with a tech behind them. They do a large damage to squishy A classes and I feel as if they're a really strong asset to any team. CQC isn't too bad when you learn the angles. I think one of the reasons why the damage numbers are "low" is because of it's strongest aspect. Hitscan. If you have a hitscan weapon that does mad damage, there will be a huge problem and no one will be happy except those behind it's trigger and the game will turn into SSwars.

I'm also wondering what loadout you guys use.

Mine for those who are wondering and why

Primary:
Slug Rifle - I'm all about burst damage. Even though the Hawkins is more DPS, people will tend to immediately dodge behind cover after getting hit long range, thus making your automatic weapons useless. Either Slug or Hawkins is your choice though. AM-Sar being completely useless and inferior to Hawkins in every single stat.

Tunes:
Weapon Loader +10 - Gotta shoot fast. You don't really overheat so no reason not to go for this.
Armor +6 - I felt like 750 was a good number to shoot for. No real calculations behind it, just gut.
Fuel Tank +7 - This needs to be maxed. Especially if you need to run from something or CQC happens.
Radar +7 - This tune is still extremely strong. Gives me a lot of map awareness. Map awareness gives you the right targets to shoot at, and lets you know when you need to reposition yourself whether or not that's running from a task force out to destroy you, or finding a better vantage spot for hitting their team.

Items:
Repair MK3 - Lots of healing, repair kit, much love.
Shield MK1 - Awesome item for the 2 slots. Don't think there's a better choice here.

Internals:
Replenisher - F is your lover. Hit it, love it. But you don't want to be away from her too long. So hit enemies for kills/assists to reduce it's short cooldown to make you scary at just about any time. I personally feel that SS should be the only class to really use this internal.
Repair Kit - More HP from repairing is good.
Basic Extractor - Healing faster is good too.

And some general info from my perspective.

My play style from long range is peekaboo. I don't like letting people always know where I am and I try to catch A classes out in the open often or just shoot the tech to make them back off of their heal target. I will CQC if I must, but I generally won't rush in carelessly or in the front unless I'm chasing a low opponent and feel it's worth the risk. Try to hold points of interest and really just make enemies squishy for the rest of your team. You don't even need kills, just keep shooting things, hit F, profit. Missing is bad... Don't do that. If you know that A class likes to spam dodge a lot.. Don't use your sabot until they burn their dodge. If they don't, then fire away. CQC you really want to wait for their dodges. Always fire slug, but save sabots for after they dodge (people will dodge too). I think the same could be said about hitting your F button. Whiffing Power Shot is the saddest thing in the world to you.

Against ball of death tactics you're not very useful unless you can spot the tech. Usually ball of death tactics involve a tech healing everyone while they just keep moving forward without having to stop. If you stop the tech, you make that ball a lot weaker. However if that tech is well protected with shield or a body block from a C-class it's very annoying to deal with and you have to go for other small A-Classes. Sadly with the lack of AOE damage you're not doing a whole lot to their team, nor are you very scary. Another problem without having AOE is that you can't dance around corners like other mechs.

tl;dr:
1. Press F
2. hit shots
3. ___
4. profit!
!HAMMERTIME
Posted Image

#7 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 12 2013 - 06:14 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong w/ the mech in question.. I think people are trying new things.

As it stands, the SS is still stupidly powerful. GREAT at range and GREAT at CQC... the only time it takes skill to play is in mid range.

And that is just scoping skills.

#8 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 06:24 PM

I do have to agree that mid-range fights are definitely the hardest with SS. There's a range where it's hard to no-scope, and also hard to scope at the same time since enemies still move relatively far/fast. At that point you just have to be good/lucky to hit things.
!HAMMERTIME
Posted Image

#9 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 12 2013 - 06:29 PM

btw if this makes more ppl play SS, I'm going to hurt you rei

#10 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostAkrium, on December 12 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

btw if this makes more ppl play SS, I'm going to hurt you rei
Watch everyone use my setup and you'll eat twice as many power shots.
!HAMMERTIME
Posted Image

#11 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted December 12 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostAkrium, on December 12 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I don't think there is anything wrong w/ the mech in question.. I think people are trying new things.

As it stands, the SS is still stupidly powerful. GREAT at range and GREAT at CQC... the only time it takes skill to play is in mid range.

And that is just scoping skills.
This entire post is basically Nept bait fyi. Anyway, I'd argue that SS is actually one of the hardest mechs in the game to play well and requires an immense amount of skill to play at a high level compared to other mechs, at least when enemies play intelligently. Sure, you have two hitscan burst weapons, but you also have terrible DPS, awful maneuverability, and no way to hit enemies that aren't in your LOS. Everyone acts like playing SS is mind-numbingly easy, but honestly I've only ever seen two SS players able to play the mech at anywhere near a mastery level--those players are Nept and Climatic.

#12 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostRei, on December 12 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

To be honest I don't see many at all that are performing well.

My thoughts exactly, since CB1 :D

#13 Bloody_Bucket

Bloody_Bucket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 08:54 PM

SS.  

I can run right up one's throat with a Reaper, and out kill him.

I can dance around him and get him with a few (three_) grenades and a HEAT (infil).  If I miss, though, he'll make me pay.

Edited by Bloody_Bucket, December 12 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#14 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostBloody_Bucket, on December 12 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

SS.  

I can run right up one's throat with a Reaper, and out kill him.

I can dance around him and get him with a few (three_) grenades and a HEAT (infil).  If I miss, though, he'll make me pay.

I want to see this. A SS shouldn't be losing to a Reaper in a 1 on 1. Infil is hard, but still very winnable.

But that's about dueling, not necessarily the current meta and placement in TDM/MA. (Siege is pretty much w/e lol). In the triangular MA maps, SS is tough to play. Speedy deathball seems to be the easiest choice for running around in circles destroying everything quickly and capping quickly. Facility is all right for SS since they can hold S2 very well, but spawning logic in that map makes it harder. SS is harder on last ECO since they have to move around a lot more and it's harder to stop a team from just capping a point when they spawn somewhat near it.

As for Frontline/Origin/Bazaar, I feel like SS is pretty damn strong on S2 point on most of the maps. Also at certain vantage points like underbridge on origin (bridge under S2 on origin) or just about any corner on Frontline. SS is pretty strong on top of points too so it's a good site holder, and certainly slows people down from advancing onto the point.

Edited by Rei, December 12 2013 - 10:16 PM.

!HAMMERTIME
Posted Image

#15 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted December 12 2013 - 10:26 PM

Even after the nerfs, I think SS is a great complement for organized teams (almost necessary, depending on the team comp).
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#16 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted December 12 2013 - 10:37 PM

View Postropefish, on December 12 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

i see more people using it in CQC :/
Remember when it was powerful in CQC_
Pepperridge farm remembers.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#17 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted December 12 2013 - 10:56 PM

To be honest I don't see many at all that are performing well..
You haven`t met me yet, the most dangerous motherf#cker with the SS.
I`ll fix it later.

#18 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted December 12 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostXacius, on December 12 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Even after the nerfs, I think SS is a great complement for organized teams (almost necessary, depending on the team comp).

From all the scrims we did I second this

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#19 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostAregon, on December 12 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

To be honest I don't see many at all that are performing well..
You haven`t met me yet, the most dangerous motherf#cker with the SS.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people know how I really feel about the SS. Whenever I play with people in the BSB vent, they know the fear of just randomly losing 30% of their life without any chance to retaliate. I'm pretty sure I'm in the top 5 SS players.

Though I'm surprised I haven't seen people trying to run two SS too often. If you have two SS focused on the same target... Holy fuzzy bunny is it scary to even poke your head out.

That statement was really directed at most of the random pub SS players I guess. They kind of just sit there and miss or do much of nothing at all :(.

Edited by Rei, December 12 2013 - 11:35 PM.

!HAMMERTIME
Posted Image

#20 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 12 2013 - 11:51 PM

What do you think about the reaper_ (The Gentleman's mechs!!!)

I do think the ranged hitscan is a necessary asset to any good organized play, as the instant, surgical application of damage that really lets you tip a friendly's 1v1 in their favor is invaluable. SS and Reaper = best kill stealers in the game xD

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users