HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to make the scout...scout and useful in team play

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 RozerMahbub_

RozerMahbub_

fishy scout

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationTorino,To-10125 ,italy

Posted January 06 2014 - 05:33 AM

View PostExeon, on January 06 2014 - 03:16 AM, said:

View PostJeffMagnum, on January 06 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

View PostThatDamnedBoedy, on January 04 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

you know what...I'm gonna start posting screen caps at the end of every match I'm in...last one had scouts at the top...actaully two top scoring slots.  good lord.  *chunk* *chunk* *chunk* **dead c-class**  meanwhile...you haven't landed a single shot unless maybe you're a rocketteer at range.
Good thing I took some screenshots a bit ago to respond to stupid "proof" like that, especially "proof" that's images of Scouts winning in DM (which is usually accompanied by the poster saying it's impossible to win in anything else). Here's a nice one.

Tech OP plz nerf:
Posted Image

RPR too stronk

[sarcasm]Only noobs who can't aim the redox use the rpr, NOOB.[/sarcasm] But seriously I love the redox, I wish more techs would learn to use it in team games it is ridiculous

may be they played like as a team.....bcz why 'jeffmagnum' use teac. in death match ___ :wacko: :unsure:  so much curious :angry:

Posted Image

I DON'T CARE

i want to tell you a true story , once upon a time everyone was a perfect pure NOOB ^_^

#82 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted January 06 2014 - 11:36 AM

oh I thought this was a scout thread.  my bad... go start a technician thread pl0x.

#83 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted January 06 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostThatDamnedBoedy, on January 06 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

oh I thought this was a scout thread.  my bad... go start a technician thread pl0x.
It was in response to you thinking screenshots in which people score a high number of points are proof that a mech is OP.

View PostRozerMahbub1, on January 06 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

may be they played like as a team.....bcz why 'jeffmagnum' use teac. in death match ___ :wacko: :unsure:  so much curious :angry:
Because I wanted to use it. There wasn't any teamwork; regardless, you can't even heal others in DM.

[sarcasm]Only noobs who can't aim the redox use the rpr, NOOB.[/sarcasm] But seriously I love the redox, I wish more techs would learn to use it in team games it is ridiculous
The only reason I don't run Redox is because of the splash in CQC, but yeah, it seems like it'd be great if it was used with a good team. I don't think I've ever healed other people while playing Tech, though.

#84 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted January 06 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostJeffMagnum, on January 06 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

The only reason I don't run Redox is because of the splash in CQC, but yeah, it seems like it'd be great if it was used with a good team. I don't think I've ever healed other people while playing Tech, though.

Dont ever use redox in DM, it isn't as effective as RPR. When you have other teammates getting 15% damage though that is a big deal.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#85 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted January 06 2014 - 08:55 PM

but...  the scout does 'scout' better than any other mech in the game.  it's the best mech to be in if you find youself too far into hostile territory and need to bug out.

it even looks like a bug.

if you don't see the relevance of buggish appearance then you need to reevaluate your stance on women's rights.

doesn't it still come with a radar dish_

#86 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 10:44 PM

Posted Image

#87 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostThatDamnedBoedy, on January 05 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

View PostExeon, on January 05 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

View PostThatDamnedBoedy, on January 04 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

you haven't landed a single shot unless maybe you're a rocketteer at range.

This is a player skill issue, not a balance issue. I honestly believe that this problem is the reason many players see the scout as too strong. I have one word for you: Patience. Learning when to hold your shots due to an upcoming dodge can make a world of difference in hawken, especially versus scouts.

The games those screenshots were taken from were all organized 6v6 matches with a lot of communication and often involving highly skilled players. I'm sure many players who participated could attest to the fact that you just can't compare any pub to the pugs we had on the weekends.

I know many players who can destroy random pub games with any mech in their garage. What I'm trying to say is that just because some one dominates pubs in a specific mech does not mean that it is overpowered.

your belief is mistaken thanks to the turn speed and turn rate cap vs the sub 1 second dodge cool-down.  You can't back up fast enough to widen your arc and you can't turn fast enough to track.  It isn't a matter of skill.  Just dump that stupid line of arguing for the love of all that is fuzzy bunny.

The many players who know how to do it would tell you otherwise. But, ignorance is bliss I guess.

#88 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 06:42 PM

Its gettin lonely in the "please don't nerf my pwnboat land" isn't it red_

#89 VYR3

VYR3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:10 PM

View PostShadowWarg, on December 23 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Why does the scout change to fit its role better have to be so complicated_ The heat generation (heat sink) and the cool down time from over heating (cooling unit) could both be increased so it can only engage for a even short time frame on top of its low health. That would make it fit the roll or "scout" with its radar and hydraulics tuning. Find the enemy mark them, and get out fast or wait for back up. If you decrease the amount of time it can defend itself then it doesn't matter how fast it is if it can't attack. And on the flip side more advance players can handle the change because they know how to manage heat, so a change like this wont matter in high level play that much, as most high level players use a verity of mechs anyway.
they could just fix the fact that A classes have the heat sinks that C classes should have, then everything would be a lot more balanced. scout should have the brawlers god awful 101% heat gen. brawler should have 89% heat gen, and other c classes should get like ~90%
so c classes ~90%
B classes ~95%
A classes ~100%
balanced. :D

#90 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 11:16 PM

It really is more of a problem with the meta game than classes. With no way to safely disengage from close combat combining with most maps favoring close combat, the meta game is baiting or forcing a face hug immediately followed by a damage race. And some classes are just plain better than all the others at face hugging damage races.

#91 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 07:56 PM

View PostThatDamnedBoedy, on January 08 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Nah, my pwnboat is every mech in the game. I'm never lonely :)

#92 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted January 09 2014 - 08:27 PM

View PostJeffMagnum, on January 02 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

If Scout was nerfed further, there'd be absolutely no reason to play it over Raider, which has already mostly eclipsed its role in comp games anyway. I'd argue that for something to be OP, it needs to grant a disproportionately large advantage for a relatively small amount of skill, and the Scout does not fit that criterion. The 90% Failsafe was OP, as it gave huge benefits for absolutely no user input. Hellfires are (arguably) OP right now, because they require a moderate-at-best amount of aiming to function as effectively as the other secondaries. Granted, they are not as powerful as the other secondaries at high levels, but low skill ceiling≠impossible to be OP.

Honestly, I doubt that the vast majority of the people saying that Scout is extremely OP and too easy to use can use it worth a damn themselves. Oftentimes I'll hear excuses as to why they don't play the mech when they're asked to, such as "I don't enjoy killing everyone without putting forth effort" or "Scout is just ez-mode Hawken"--I'm sorry, but both of those are just covers for incompetence. I don't usually do this because I try to refrain from being a showboating fuzzy bunny as much as I can, but I'm inviting anyone who legitimately holds those views to duel me in a Scout and demonstrate their proficiency with the mech.

The smallest health pool in the game+the smallest fuel tank in the game leaves very little room for error, as one mistake can easily get you killed. If you overextend and don't have your ability or fuel, you are dead. If you mismanage your fuel in a fight or while trying to escape, you are dead. If you don't use cover effectively, you are dead. People who cannot use Scout get their fuzzy bunny wrecked by players who can aim more quickly than they would if they were playing any other mech in the game.

Everyone always points to the players with high deathmatch scores who play Scout as if that's evidence of its OPness, but that is not evidence of anything at all except the skill of those particular Scout users and the fact that Scout is a good mech for DM. To be blunt, it's very likely that the players being referenced would have no problem killing you with any other mech in the game.

I'm not normally this condescending and aggressive, but all of this talk about nerfing Scout into the ground gets old. The devs shouldn't be making balance changes based on what players who can't even play the game they're developing think, but I'm sure they'll be doing just that in the future.

I have been playing this game almost daily since it went open beta and I have heavily  participated in every test since alpha 2 . Based off of my scores the scout is indeed a tiny bit op. Another small nerf to its health and I will be fine with it.
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#93 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostRedVan, on January 09 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

I think he Boedy is the one who is 'missing' something, deep inside. CWIDT_

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#94 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted January 09 2014 - 10:19 PM

View PostSkrill, on January 09 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

I have been playing this game almost daily since it went open beta and I have heavily  participated in every test since alpha 2 . Based off of my scores the scout is indeed a tiny bit op. Another small nerf to its health and I will be fine with it.
Flak is the issue (and probably why you're scoring higher--try running HEAT or Miniflak and see if you get the same results); Scout itself as a class is fine. I think nerfing Flak's range is definitely a better place to start than nerfing its damage, and a range decrease might be all it really needs to bring it in line with the other weapons. If that's not enough, then slowly reduce its damage incrementally until it's fine, but don't go overboard and make it useless. It's not a hideously game-breakingly OP weapon by any means, but right now it has too much mid-range utility for its burst and ease of use.

#95 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 01:35 AM

I remember the 1v1 tournament, I beat a sharpshooter from over 150 yards away via chip damage and corner play. Why a weapon that was a very obviously strong weapon was buffed is honestly beyond me.

Edited by Exeon, January 10 2014 - 01:46 AM.

#96 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostJeffMagnum, on January 09 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostSkrill, on January 09 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

Flak is the issue (and probably why you're scoring higher--try running HEAT or Miniflak and see if you get the same results); Scout itself as a class is fine. I think nerfing Flak's range is definitely a better place to start than nerfing its damage, and a range decrease might be all it really needs to bring it in line with the other weapons. If that's not enough, then slowly reduce its damage incrementally until it's fine, but don't go overboard and make it useless. It's not a hideously game-breakingly OP weapon by any means, but right now it has too much mid-range utility for its burst and ease of use.

If flak was the issue then the brawler would be dominating in the same manner and it isn't.  It is the combination of flak with the mobility and small hitbox and super-dodge abilities.  That and its ability to disengage or engage more or less at will.

#97 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostExeon, on January 09 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

I can give him something deep...

Awww wait, you're trying to trick me into another warning point aren't you!

#98 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostRedVan, on January 10 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostExeon, on January 09 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

I can give him something deep...

Awww wait, you're trying to trick me into another warning point aren't you!

I do want to give it to you, its sounds so enticing actually.

I was referring to the warning point you sick fuzzy bunnys.

Edited by Exeon, January 10 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#99 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 08:04 PM

good good let the fuzzy bunny flow through you!

#100 djhobie

djhobie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 11:41 PM

Attached File  ScreenShot00030.bmp   2.93MB   11 downloads

2 games before this one : 8/0/9 and 11/4/9.

I feel like the mini-flak needs a range effectiveness nerf. i wasn't paying attention to the number of kills i got at range. I usually ambush an enemy as they walk around a corner or work my way around behind an opponent and help an ally who has them distracted. but at times an enemy will run and be a good 80 meters away and i'll just chase and chip safely from a distance (due to the low fuel tank and fuel reserve being on cooldown),

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users