HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HEAT cannon

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dictatorfish

Dictatorfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted December 26 2013 - 02:34 PM

I suspect I'm not using it correctly because right now I feel I'm really, really bad with the HEAT cannon.  From what I figure, as a HEAT-Infiltrator, I'm supposed to charge it up and play a mix of peekaboo and kiting.  However, the damage output seems... well, it's just not that great compared to the difficulty of using it.  It seems completely outclassed by the flak-Scout and the T32-Raider in both damage output and ease of use.  I get that I'm supposed to shoot at the floor and terrain to take advantage of the splash, but the damage output seems negligible.  I'm having a lot more success with the assault rifle while kiting purely with the grenade launcher.

Please teach me. Teach me the error of my ways. :(

Update:
Good gods, I'm so **** with this weapon.  =[

Edited by Dictatorfish, December 26 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#2 Cruzxavier

Cruzxavier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted December 26 2013 - 03:35 PM

I've played it quite some time a while ago and seriously it is the best choice for infil but i use the assault rifle. The secret is getting experienced with it and get your shots on target either on the target or near it and peekaboo a lot...the charged shot is better used on crouds or because of its speed when finishing off running mechs
Playing it while it is fun...

#3 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted December 26 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostDictatorfish, on December 26 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

I suspect I'm not using it correctly because right now I feel I'm really, really bad with the HEAT cannon.  From what I figure, as a HEAT-Infiltrator, I'm supposed to charge it up and play a mix of peekaboo and kiting.  However, the damage output seems... well, it's just not that great compared to the difficulty of using it.  It seems completely outclassed by the flak-Scout and the T32-Raider in both damage output and ease of use.  I get that I'm supposed to shoot at the floor and terrain to take advantage of the splash, but the damage output seems negligible.  I'm having a lot more success with the assault rifle while kiting purely with the grenade launcher.

Update:

Some players can use Heat Cannon with devastating effectiveness.  However, I find myself agreeing with you as my experience playing Heat Inf has been much as you've described. I actually abandoned it for awhile as neither Heat nor EOC were working for me. Charged weapons are not everyone's "cup of tea."

Your understanding of how to play Heat Inf appears to be on point so it probably just comes down to enough playing time and practice with the weapon--something I did not give myself.  Hang in there and good luck!
ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#4 Highchu

Highchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 26 2013 - 05:01 PM

The "Heat Cannon" has a very high learning curve, but is incredibly powerful and versatile once you get familiar with it. The hardest part is learning to lead your shots since it has a delayed travel time same as the "EOC Repeater". Its not really something that can be taught, you just need to play and learn as you go. The damage difference for uncharged (85) and charged (90) is negligible. The only added benefit of charging is really the increased velocity and splash damage for dealing with grouped targets.

If you are still having trouble with the Heat I'd recommended first starting off with the EOC. They are fundamentally similar and transitioning from one to the other should be easier.

#5 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted December 26 2013 - 10:08 PM

Learn to use it ! it's lethal !!!! very strong ! better than EOC (to me)

Posted Image

#6 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted December 27 2013 - 04:23 AM

EOC is a decent way to learn the basics of the projectile weapons like the HEAT but, you won't get great at it without using it. Learn how to aim the uncharged shots, charging reduces your DPS by over 50%. I more often than not play through rounds without ever firing a charged shot. Times I charge would be on groups of 3 or more mechs close together(chokepoint=DEEPS), long range shots, and in some cases air dynamic mechs. Charging in cornerplay is something to do on a case by case basis, learn how to judge your opponents distance from the corner to determine whether or not you should charge. The HEAT cannon is a phenomenal counter to pushing, combining proper cornerplay and intelligent kiting and you are destroying every person that tries to push on you. Don't ever keep charging if you could let go and hit your target or very VERY close to them if they're on the ground. Charging in any DPS race fight is the equivalent of slitting your own throat. Something Xacius pointed out to me a was to aim(against airborne targets) using a point just above the top left portion of the blue rectangle that expands when you fire your secondary. Something basic but utilize the splash of he weapon always trying to hit the ground right in front of your target.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#7 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted December 27 2013 - 10:39 AM

As Exeon stated the only real advantage you get from charging is increased splash damage (you also get 5 more damage). Your best bet is to use uncharged shots (85damage if I am not mistaken), it is quite a formidable weapon when you get it down.

#8 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted December 27 2013 - 06:13 PM

Heat cannon still most interesting weapon in game. Use on rocketeer with 10 tuning point in weapon loader (yes, I sacrifices tuning point from aerodynamics XD). I use combo - "charged heat + HF + dodge to cover", after reload, repeat. In close fight against A-class spaming uncharged shot, with +10 in WL it's not bad tactics :C

#9 Grizzled

Grizzled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted December 28 2013 - 11:14 AM

Listen to em- You have to use uncharged shot most of the time to make it work. The tolerance for heat hits is not as fine as some of the other projectile weapons, once you can predict where your opponents will most likely move to you have them.
Iligetimi carborundum est

#10 Dictatorfish

Dictatorfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted December 28 2013 - 11:33 AM

I'm getting the point of believing that either I'm never going to be good with this weapon or that this weapon is simply not good. Can someone please find me a video of someone using it effectively I can learn from_  I have nothing to guide me and I have not been able to find a single video online of someone using it well.

My experience ranges between ****ing terrible at worst and ****ing awful at best.  Can anyone personally vouch for this weapon_  I have only come across people who say "Oh, yeah, I've seen other people use it with devastating effects" but no one who could say they personally do better with it in comparison to a hitscan weapon or the EOC.

#11 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted December 28 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'd say I can use it to devestating effect and have been since I leveled my first scout, love the weapon so much I rarely wind up playing anything else. It's not the best example but it's a decent game with HEAT.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#12 Dictatorfish

Dictatorfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted December 28 2013 - 04:16 PM

Many thanks! I shall study this and redouble my efforts.  =]

(Any why did Adhesive change the reticle_ The one in the video is so much clearer in every single way!)

#13 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted December 28 2013 - 04:56 PM

Agree that practice with the lead is the only way to get on top of this weapon. The annoying thing for me is it's hard to use the training area unless you normally have a low ping as the amount of lead is heavily dependent on the ping rate. I would dearly like to have a dial in feature in training which would allow you to set the ping at what you normally experience so the training is realistic.

#14 Dictatorfish

Dictatorfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted December 28 2013 - 05:24 PM

Actually, nope, I'm giving up. This is just too much frustration. Too many situations where I fought and got demolished knowing I would have at least put up a decent fight, and having to run from situation I would have had the confidence to confront, if I had any other weapon. I feel like a hindrance to my team running around with this thing.

Nevermind, somethings are just not meant to be.

#15 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 28 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostExeon, on December 28 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

I'd say I can use it to devestating effect and have been since I leveled my first scout, love the weapon so much I rarely wind up playing anything else. It's not the best example but it's a decent game with HEAT.

You may post something older as well...

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#16 palad1ne

palad1ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Locationuninstalled

Posted January 05 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostDictatorfish, on December 26 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

Update:

The first rule ..as you already said, aim to the feet and second. Dont charge it ! This was my error when i am switched from EOC/MA to Heat. Because i thought it has much more damage when charged. Its only lousy 10 point difference. And while you charge your LMB is blocked. So dont charge. Fire and fire again. I never ever managed it to overheat the HEAT Cannon.  Played it on the INF and Grenadier.

Maybe additional tip. Dont snipe with it.Its too slow for that.

Hope it helps a little bit. Good luck

#17 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted January 05 2014 - 10:52 PM

View Postpalad1ne, on January 05 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Dont snipe with it.Its too slow for that.

The reason you think its too slow is because you say you never charge it lol. Use charged shots for its extra speed and splash, which is good for long distance. Practicee

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users