HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Killing the Technician

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Grizzled

Grizzled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted December 28 2013 - 11:26 AM

So, I was losing this game on frontline the other day. A couple of our team would not stay near the team and the enemy team consisted of 4 techs, a rockateer and a scout. I tried several mechs but was not proving effective when the techs showed up. They were coordinating very well and as they swarmed at us it was incredibly difficult to do any (lasting) damage.

As I re-spawned, I selected my Rockateer, hoping It would make a difference.

Soon enough I found that the Rockateer could just short of alpha a single tech with 6 pucks on the EOC and Hellfires together. If they walked on a few mines or I had a little help or they were standing too close to the last tech I used hellfires on, they were toast.

I wish there were a point to this wall of text.
Iligetimi carborundum est

#2 Highchu

Highchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 28 2013 - 11:48 AM

When dealing with multiple techs your only option is dealing high burst, any sustained damage can be quickly out healed.

#3 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted December 28 2013 - 01:52 PM

YOu need to play an assassin mech like scout, inf or raider.

And then excape quickly.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#4 MrWilpon

MrWilpon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted December 29 2013 - 11:57 AM

I wouldn't say that raider or scout are good mech vs techs because those are also kinda good in close combat.The deconstruct beam allow them to easily lock on targets and then move more unpredictably than any other mech, making them hard to hit, especially with burst weapons.

So besides true ambushers like infiltrator and predator who can alpha strike for like 350 dmg, I find sharpshooters, reapers or tech (with redox-02) like the best hard counters to technicians because striking back from a distance is less efficient than running away for a tech. It is when they run away that raiders and scouts should comes to play...

Edited by MrWilpon, December 29 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#5 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted December 29 2013 - 02:35 PM

You prefer the only 3 mechs in the game who actually get outhealed by green beam when they have 100% uptime and perfect accuracy and refire time.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#6 Grizzled

Grizzled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted January 10 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostMrWilpon, on December 29 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

I wouldn't say that raider or scout are good mech vs techs because those are also kinda good in close combat.The deconstruct beam allow them to easily lock on targets and then move more unpredictably than any other mech, making them hard to hit, especially with burst weapons.

So besides true ambushers like infiltrator and predator who can alpha strike for like 350 dmg, I find sharpshooters, reapers or tech (with redox-02) like the best hard counters to technicians because striking back from a distance is less efficient than running away for a tech. It is when they run away that raiders and scouts should comes to play...

Unfortunately, Reaper is at the techs mercy once they close, not enough boost to change the range, not enough damage to overcome the vampire beam. Don't get me wrong, as long as you control the range, and the tech is concentrating on healing someone else its great, but when you get multiple techs on the other team "zerging" Reaper becomes a liability.

#7 doujutsu501

doujutsu501

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted January 12 2014 - 08:16 PM

use the infiltrator w/ EMP or ISM and a detonator or a he charge. when u find them u thow ISM or EMP and run away the fast u can. later try to flank them (go to their back) with the abylity activated and atack them with the he or detonator. Or u can simply use the sharpshooter and atack them from long distances. hope it helps :D

trust me, I play w/ the tech all the time

Edited by doujutsu501, January 12 2014 - 08:17 PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

#8 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted January 13 2014 - 01:31 AM

View Postdoujutsu501, on January 12 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

use the infiltrator w/ EMP or ISM and a detonator or a he charge. when u find them u thow ISM or EMP and run away the fast u can. later try to flank them (go to their back) with the abylity activated and atack them with the he or detonator. Or u can simply use the sharpshooter and atack them from long distances. hope it helps :D

trust me, I play w/ the tech all the time

Trust him

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#9 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted January 13 2014 - 05:17 AM

Unfortunately, Reaper is at the techs mercy once they close, not enough boost to change the range, not enough damage to overcome the vampire beam.
brawler with SA have similar problem. he's can't overdamage vampiric beam, and he can't run away. cuz tech walking = brawler boost speed

#10 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted January 13 2014 - 02:19 PM

Why making so big deal for killing a mech_ If you shoot at it instead of the one he heals, he will be distracted by you and you can blow the mothertrucker to hell. It is not that hard.
I`ll fix it later.

#11 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted January 15 2014 - 09:34 AM

why!_
Posted Image
he has cute mu...

#12 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted January 16 2014 - 01:39 PM

EOC Raider is amazing for taking these things out one burst if they all hit is roughly 75% of their health and has a pretty good chance to hit the person they are healing as well. Once you get the hang of this mech it is devastating.
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#13 Grizzled

Grizzled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted January 23 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostSkrill, on January 16 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

EOC Raider is amazing for taking these things out one burst if they all hit is roughly 75% of their health and has a pretty good chance to hit the person they are healing as well. Once you get the hang of this mech it is devastating.

yes it is, its a killing machine, and honestly I feel that the Raider is a joke for balance. Scout is balanced better than the Raider. I only use Raider when I am being an fuzzy bunny and feel the same way about everyone else that plays one.

#14 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted January 26 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostGrizzled, on January 23 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostSkrill, on January 16 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

yes it is, its a killing machine, and honestly I feel that the Raider is a joke for balance. Scout is balanced better than the Raider. I only use Raider when I am being an fuzzy bunny and feel the same way about everyone else that plays one.
well, then I'm a fuzzy bunny, because I use one.  I think the Mini-Flak Scout is way worse, and the Kite/Rocketeer can eat my lunch, as can a swarm of 'zerkers.  I think it's good for killing SSers, Techs (in certain conditions), and marginally-good for Scouts.  Everything else feels like a fair fight... You want to kill Techs_
Posted Image

#15 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted January 26 2014 - 04:47 PM

Came back to add this thought, Grizz...  a while back I asked if HWK uses a multiple-regression model of some sort to balance the mechs.  I sort-of-suspect they do, as players work out items/tactics, we get some balance tweaks.  I'd LOVE Zamboni to corroborate this, it'd end the 'such and such mech is OP' arguments.  BUT - I think it would take away a lot of the dynamics of the community (stuff to talk about).
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users