HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Help for those who are having trouble adjusting to the new TTK

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 08 2014 - 09:13 AM

Since I have seen many, MANY threads about how people don't want to change and when suggestions are offered they are rebuffed I figured, fuzzy bunny it. I will make a thread for those of us who are picking up on how the game is played to assist those having troubles.

I already wrote this out on a QQ thread which was deleted but hey, its still good advice so for the A's going to just copy it over. Most of my comments have a comical aspect to help take the sting out of them so please read through with a lighter heart.

A classes:

Learn not to Yolo: All your problems solved.

1) Don't dive into 3 people - OK fred but those Fuzzy bunny (insert campy class here) keep killing me_

2) Stay in cover with your team, not ON your team(splash sucks and you leg humping can get somebody killed), but within 30-40 meters and you will be an asset and not a flaming ball of scrap- But Fred that A class ran away with so little Hp!

3) Good for him, Let YOUR teams campy fuzzy bunnies kill him. Your new job is to wait for the enemy to ALL be low and move in for the cleanup.-But FRED I WANT THE KILLS

4) That's fine little A, but there is something called evolution and roles to play in a game, you are clean up guy, not dive in Yolo Guy. So protect your B's and C's and you will get kills and when the enemy is nice and kicked in you can go slamming in and get the triple you so greatly desire-BUTBUTBUT I USED TO be able to 1v3

5) Exactly why things changed silly A, that fuzzy bunny was broke and never planned. -But it is unfair Fred, I have no HP and can't do anything

6) Learn to move Mr.A because honestly, you are playing the fastest most ridiculous class in the game. You Shouldn't be getting Hit. Straight up full stop. If you want to be the powerhouse you used to be you need to learn to stop relying on HP and start relying on "The Movement" which is what I have been informed repeatedly Prepatch was the reason people played A's. You now have more movement options faster then you ever had before.

B classes

1) You aren't as tanky as you once were, stop thinking you are. Most of the problems I see with B mechs revolve around people thinking " I have more HP than an A mech, why shouldn't I be able to tank those shots_" Answer is: you aren't a tank, you are not rolling a C mech in turret mode, you cannot stop bullets slamming into your face with the power of your mind.

2) Hitboxes have shrank...but not by that much. Flying around for prolonged periods of time is asking for some Area Denial mech to reach out and touch your jimmies in a fashion you aren't going to enjoy. If you must fly, pop up, do the business and then drop down and find cover because every which kind of hellfire(seewhatididthere_) is going to come screaming at you.

3) Move. You are now faster then ever before and your dodges_ Pretty freaking good against A's and C's. You are the middle child and have been ignored far too long. Use your movement. Learn to skate and L dodge because once you do...The nightmares you will spawn.

4) Stop Diving. You can't do it any better than the A's and it is not worth it. If the enemy has been chipped down and are weak you are definately the guy to lead the way and break them apart. Chasing that single low health mech into the enemy team's waiting guns_ Bad Mojo.

5) When possible, Flank. You do ALOT of damage and you are pretty good when the team turns and looks at you. You will be able to tank a bit of damage and get out of dodge letting your team unload unholy amounts of damage on the exposed rears of the enemy team. If you ARE flanking ensure you know where your cover is and make sure you are doing it in a fashion that draws the enemy into open area's for your Area denial mechs to take advantage of

C Classes

I have no idea, never played em heavily beyond leveling em all up to 30 back in the day. I don't enjoy them and I haven't touched em since the patch(if somebody can fill in the blanks here that would be great)

General tips and hints:

1)Learn to skate, Boosting + dodging is AMAZING now. Boosting forward in a straight line is begging for something running a sustained damage weapon to drag a line up your rear end and pop your head off.

2)For whatever reason ending your boosts with a hop will now bring your weapons up into a firing position faster and give you a movement boost, Use This. It is important and if you aren't using it you will lose to those who are.

3) Dedicate some time to the game before expecting to be good. For those not familiar with how muscle memory works it requires a minimum of 250 repeated actions for your hands/reflexes to operate in the proper fashion. Right now we are all operating off bad wiring. We expect things to react how they used to (smaller splash areas/ smaller hitboxes/old dodge timers). They don't, stop getting mad when they don't work like how you expect them to and start retraining your body how to do things. Those that get this down now will be having a field day.

If you see something acting wrong(reference hellfires being able to roll 390* now or the Sabot doing a ridiculous damage, report it in the bug reports section and the hwk dev's will fix it as they already have been. This is a BETA. TEST THE GAME AND PRODUCE FEEDBACK. Everybody will have a better day.
Posted Image

#2 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted February 08 2014 - 09:22 AM

inb4 "I don't like the new TTK"

This thread is for everyone who wants to adapt to the new TTK. Everyone who wants to discuss if the new TTK is good or bad should post in these threads:
https://community.pl...k-ruins-hawken/
https://community.pl...ken-unplayable/
https://community.pl...he-new-ttk-has/
etc.

#3 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 08 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostReEvolve, on February 08 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

inb4 "I don't like the new TTK"

This thread is for everyone who wants to adapt to the new TTK. Everyone who wants to discuss if the new TTK is good or bad should post in these threads:
https://community.pl...k-ruins-hawken/
https://community.pl...ken-unplayable/
https://community.pl...he-new-ttk-has/
etc.

Thanks for that, should have posted a disclaimer myself
Posted Image

#4 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted February 08 2014 - 09:30 AM

Moar! Posts like this

Posted Image

Saare I can't like, comment, and subscribe..

Posted Image

Edited by craftydus, February 08 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#5 Glytched

Glytched

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted February 08 2014 - 09:39 AM

I see a lot of people on the forums talking about how the tech is unplayable, how its life makes it a easy target. I have played a lot of games as a tech and seem to survive pretty well. So here are some tips to try to keep you alive.

1. dont try for kills. You are a support class and should act as such. Use your primary weapon as a supplement to the person you are keeping alive. taking down low health mechs to help the cause is ok in certain situations.

2. cover is your best friend. Be it hiding around a corner within LoS of your heal target or using your heal target as your cover. not being seen keeps you alive.

3. with the lowered cool down on amplify use it often, i mostly use it to keep my self alive while keeping up my target. Being the focus a lot green beam can keep you alive more often then not.

4. dodge. dodge. dodge.

5. You can not heal through shields any more.

6. The air is not your friend. it makes you a huge target. stay on the ground.

As with that here are what i have been using for items and internals

Items: i use shield mk 3 for another hide space, a place for you and your heal target to get out of combat for a second or two to get the extra heals. for my other item i have been rotating but am using hologram mk 1 just for a little help.

Internals: deflectors, i dodge a fuzzy bunny ton like all the time i am always dodging. replenisher for lowered cool down times on amp. and basic fuel converter.

Above all find the person who is murdering people the best and keep him alive.

i don't know if this is going to help any one, but i stay alive for the most part and still love playing my tech.

Edited by Glytched, February 08 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#6 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted February 08 2014 - 09:54 AM

n1 Glytched ! I have no upvotes to give :wub:

#7 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 08 2014 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the post Glytched! I know you have spent quite alot of time on the tech since the patch so there shouldn't be somebody better qualified to offer assistance with it.
Posted Image

#8 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 08 2014 - 10:51 AM

Keeping the positive on top! if anybody has some tips or tricks for C's it would be nice to see them
Posted Image

#9 Albe23

Albe23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted February 08 2014 - 11:02 AM

Bruiser tips:

1)The best tactic for this mech is now guerilla (insert "gorilla" from Bruno Mars) warfare/hit-and-run.  Trying to do sustained damage with any mech outside of C-Classes is stupid. Get in, lay down damage, get out.

2)Use your shield to good effect given that the new meta is insta-kill alphas.  Pop it when you can actually see one coming and you win.  I've also become fond of face hugging Raiders with a shield+alpha+HF combo they never saw coming.  See Guerilla tactics above.

3)Meteor gave you a fast flight speed, it's dumb, use it sparingly.  Might as well paste a target to your face. I use it to pop up and over things to get enough sight to send off Hellfires, which is far quicker now.

4)Learn to lead by fuzzy bunny miles (given that every mech is now super dodge happy) with your Hellfires close range.  They've definitely had a 'silent' tweak and simply boosting (not dodging) is more that enough for them to miss at damn near any range now about half the time.  The other half they will pull fuzzy bunny ninja maneuvers.

5)Given the above realize that your Hellfires are no longer effective at long to long-mid ranges.  Looking at the stats and the dropoff ranges, meteor has pigeonholed Hellfires to mid range.  I'm guessing to make the Sniper more effective at long ranges (read dominating at any range now).

8)The Vulcan is now more effective at mid ranges, so get used to longer pulses on the trigger before the thing gets all wonky.  However, where you could pulse 5 really accurate shots before for long range harassment, you can't really anymore.  It feels like it starts off a little more inaccurate.  Could just be me though.

7)Given that dodge can almost be spammed now, I recommend loading up any and all internals that reduce damage while boosting or dodging.  It's very effective now given the squishy-ness of everything.

8)Practice better situational awareness, you're going to need it.

#10 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 08 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostAlbe23, on February 08 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

8)Practice better situational awareness, you're going to need it.

Pretty much this patch in a nutshell
Posted Image

#11 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 08 2014 - 11:27 AM

Know what is cooler than complaining about a patch_ Learning to play the game in the new patch! please ignore the negativity and let the senior community give you a hand with your transition!
Posted Image

#12 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted February 08 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostGlytched, on February 08 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

I see a lot of people on the forums talking about how the tech is unplayable, how its life makes it a easy target. I have played a lot of games as a tech and seem to survive pretty well. So here are some tips to try to keep you alive.

snip*

Ya i noticed that to about the tech, but it can still be a force to be reckoned with. Just keep healing your team and don't switch to battle tech unless it means you're survival. It just can't put out the deeps any other class can. You can finish off kill pretty handily though, just don't get distracted too long or you'll surely let down some teammates.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#13 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 08 2014 - 01:36 PM

bumping this up above the locked threads!
Posted Image

#14 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 08 2014 - 04:38 PM

So....no C players then_
Posted Image

#15 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted February 08 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostLordTemujin, on February 08 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

So....no C players then_

Maybe I can help :)

C classes are the big boys of Hawken, with the most armor and least mobility.  As is the case for all mechs, focus on your strengths, and in the case of C classes they present a wide array of different strengths.  In general though, you should make the most of your superior durability.

For mechs like the Vanguard, Brawler (non SA-Hawkins), and Vulcan Grenadier, you should be playing more of a frontline or pointman role, initiating and opening the engagement for your friends to follow up.  Most enemies will consider retreating after taking a solid hit from a C class for the reason that they will most likely lose via attrition since you have more armor than them.  Keep the pressure on them, but be careful of overcommitting.  Sometimes just relegating one enemy to repairing can give your team the upper hand in the overall engagement.

Soak up damage!  You can save your allies with your oversized hitbox by blocking potentially lethal incoming fire.  If an enemy doesn't land a killing blow due to you blocking their shot, they may overcommit (see above) and give away an easy kill for your team.  This may seem a bit counterproductive to helping you adjust to lower TTK, but supporting your teammates is an important part of the game, and extending their lives typically pays dividends in the long run.  Also try using turret mode to negate a bit more damage, especially with Vanguard (60% reduction!).

For mid-long range mechs, such as Grenadier, SA-Hawkins Brawler, and Rocketeer, stay behind your team!  Even though deathballing is (thankfully) not as effective as previously, you should still play the important role of providing area denial and long range suppressive fire.  You shouldn't be in the thick of the action, as these mechs excel with a little bit of room to play with.  If enemies try to approach you, use your spamtastic splash damage and high durability to fend them off or damage them enough for your team to run cleanup.

Most importantly, get used to dying!  Everybody is going to die more with lower TTK, so don't worry if you aren't going 20-1-15 like the old days.
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#16 Cpt_Planet

Cpt_Planet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 08 2014 - 06:23 PM

I'm not much of a forum poster but the other day I had a match with a specific player in which I really learned something about the Raider that I felt was worth sharing here.  I can't remember his callsign exactly but he was Lvl30 and clearly experienced with the Raider.  I've been playing an Assault mech for a long time and felt fairly competent at it until I ran into this guy with his puny 455 AP Raider.

I've always thought Raiders were for chasing down campy mechs and infi's trying to escape.  Well I was very wrong.  They are actually for Raiding!  So don't laugh at me if I've just been missing the party with the Raider the whole time.  However, this guy was using the ability in a way that made the Raider one of the best dueling/attack mechs I've ever seen.  After seeing how this guy played I actually think the 455AP is kind of deserved.  

After getting my face shot off in my Assault about 3-4 times I basically adopted his tactics and guess what!  They really worked.  I think I got my first triple kill with them.  Basically the guy would get to our flank and then hit his ability and move behind us.  Then he'd just go to work with dodges and L-dodges and every kind of maneuver you can think of to take us down.  He was using EOC plus grenade mode.  It was interesting that he didn't use MIRV's when doing this as he was pretty close.  His ability made his foot speed so quick that even when he wasn't dodging he was still hard to hit.  He'd literally sneak around and then clear 2 or 3 of us off the back of the AA while we were healing.  I used the rental raider I had in my garage and used the Re-Flak and the strategy still worked.

So a few things: from this -
1.)  Raider is deadly as an attack mech.  Use the ability at the right time and let the other team have it.
2.)  Everyone is talking about situational awareness now with how you are positioned on the map.  This should also take into account when you activate your ability.  Abilities are much more meaningful now.
3.)  Watch players that are better than you and learn from them.  Try their tactics right in the match you are in and it will pay dividends.
4.)  Instead of complaining, just become a student of better players.

#17 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 08 2014 - 06:38 PM

I feel like this could be summed up as "Use common sense. You're squishy now. Stop playing like you aren't."

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#18 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 08 2014 - 06:39 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on February 08 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

I feel like this could be summed up as "Use common sense. You're squishy now. Stop playing like you aren't."

Common sense is apparently not so common.
Posted Image

#19 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 08 2014 - 06:51 PM

View PostLordTemujin, on February 08 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

Hey!
Stop sneaking up on me and blowing me up! That's mean!

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#20 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 08 2014 - 07:04 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on February 08 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

View PostLordTemujin, on February 08 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

Hey!
Stop sneaking up on me and blowing me up! That's mean!

Common sense dictates: Where a SS camps a pred soon stalks.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users