HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken went HARDCORE

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 01:19 AM

Sorry but after intensive testing i'm now totally UNLOVED with Hawken. After more than a year they've returned to the closed alpha stage. Why_ This whole year didn't mean anything_ What about our feedback_

I'm tired of learning this game a new with every single patch! Stop changing every single detail - just concentrate on adding content FFS!!!

Hawken went HARDCORE

What I mean by that is the game's closed boarders for any casual gamer; concentrating on fewer hardcore player' base. I was a pretty decent player but i cannot play this game on daily routine: i've got personal live, family to feed, bills to paid and work to be done. I cannot compete with a guy sitting permament on his a$s in front of monitor doing nothing more than playing games. Before the patch I could use my brain to sneak and flank to get an advantage over younger players with better reflexes. After the patch game's changed to constant lemming's rush with life span around 15 seconds. The game wants you dead sooner anyway 'cause when you stay alive longer you run out of usefull items. So what's the point of sneaking - just go berserk and be killed! The sooner - the better! There's no place now for any strategy. No more lone wolf flanking tactics.. oh no! Just pack your team with C-class HP plus A-class instant-healers and game over. U can't overpower that! Not with A-class mechs made of paper! Just keep 'massive HP wolf herd' together.

That's main complain in general. I could also say that A-class is now far too slow. And who made such idiotic desicision like Predator ability regenerates faster than Infiltrator_ So many stupid irrational changes.. AFTER A YEAR OF TESTING___

Let me tell this in Angry Video Game Nerd' words dear Devs: " What were you thinking_!_"

So what now - another year of testing & 6 big patches plus 30 micropatches and we'll eventually come back to mid-2013 pre-Ascension release_ Empty UK servers wasn't a proper lesson i assume. Oh well.. maybe the fanbase lost back then will return.. or maybe not <_<

Sorry guys.. but You broke my heart with this patch. Guess there's no place for such old-timer like me who remembers a game called Manic Miner on his trusty ZX Spectrum (still working after 31 years btw)...

Let the 'Ultra-Pro-Game-Scene Constant-Respawn-Arena-Match' begin then! Welcome to Hawken - unique mech combat exper.. ups..sorry - Team Fortress 2 clone with pretty mechs!

#2 UncleBlitz

UncleBlitz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Location...ǝp¡s ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ uo

Posted February 09 2014 - 02:00 AM

lol,,,,my first game was 3D monster maze on the same kind of jurrassic machine...if i have to agree about the "new game" after each patch feeling i must say that i like the new speed of the game....
ok ok i cant use my reaper anymore (i wasnt using it like a pure sniper but more like a cow boy with a 6 shot) because i cant aim with enough speed after last patch
...but wow....my berserker is so fast now that i have sometimes the feeling to play UT....yeah i have spend the last ten years in pure FPS and i have the feeling that it s the way hawken is going....
we wasnt expecting this...probably....but eh.....cant old branches addapt _....even with old eyes and reflexes _ i still have fun...
peace ;)

Edited by UncleBlitz, February 09 2014 - 02:02 AM.

#3 irish_00

irish_00

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationKiev

Posted February 09 2014 - 02:39 AM

inb4 u're getting replies that you are just too noobish for the new great competitive game, you suck and need to uninstall %)

Edited by irish_00, February 09 2014 - 02:40 AM.

#4 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 02:47 AM

View PostPelax, on February 09 2014 - 01:19 AM, said:

Before the patch I could use my brain to sneak and flank to get an advantage over younger players with better reflexes.

View PostUncleBlitz, on February 09 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

....but eh.....cant old branches addapt _....even with old eyes and reflexes _ i still have fun...
peace ;)
If it makes you two feel any better, the relationship between reaction times and ageing isn't quite as simple as commonly thought: https://community.pl...120#entry422321

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#5 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 02:52 AM

View Postirish_00, on February 09 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

inb4 u're getting replies that you are just too noobish for the new great competitive game, you suck and need to uninstall %)

New game_ I'm playing this since middle of 2012. Funny words to Closed Alpha Veteran B)

Oh.. and yeah. Got invitation from both BSB and TAW - so I would say your statement is false.

#6 irish_00

irish_00

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationKiev

Posted February 09 2014 - 02:58 AM

View PostPelax, on February 09 2014 - 02:52 AM, said:

Spoiler
I am sorry. you just might need to follow ~ 20 of my latest forum posts to get my comment correctly :Ъ

#7 UncleBlitz

UncleBlitz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Location...ǝp¡s ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ uo

Posted February 09 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostNept, on February 09 2014 - 02:47 AM, said:

Before the patch I could use my brain to sneak and flank to get an advantage over younger players with better reflexes.

View PostUncleBlitz, on February 09 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

....but eh.....cant old branches addapt _....even with old eyes and reflexes _ i still have fun...
peace ;)
If it makes you two feel any better, the relationship between reaction times and ageing isn't quite as simple as commonly thought: https://community.pl...120#entry422321

lol...i feel very good thanks ...i can wear my glasses and if i dont play with that funny tobbacco my reflexes are still acceptable .... ;)

Edited by UncleBlitz, February 09 2014 - 03:42 AM.

#8 Rentago

Rentago

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCompton, CA

Posted February 09 2014 - 04:17 AM

nignog, i dont get you, i feel you that you are upset about this update as much as everyone, but this didn't lean towards hardcore, unless you mean like the call of duty marketed hardcore, where casual gamers can BE the hardcore they never were by buying the game labeled hardcore for hardcore gamers such as themselves.

in that case, i agree.

But they kinda took the tank out of bipedal tanks, I guess i'd be fine if they just increased the armor pool of mechs again, maybe a little less than before, but certainly anything higher than now is better, they don't need to be mech warrior tanky, but they are still walking metal boxes and should feel that way, mostly the bigger guys.

#9 Mobstarr

Mobstarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted February 09 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostRentago, on February 09 2014 - 04:17 AM, said:

But they kinda took the tank out of bipedal tanks, I guess i'd be fine if they just increased the armor pool of mechs again, maybe a little less than before, but certainly anything higher than now is better, they don't need to be mech warrior tanky, but they are still walking metal boxes and should feel that way, mostly the bigger guys.

Have you ever played World of Tanks_ Even tanks can be destroyed in seconds. That's because other and sometimes bigger or even multiple tanks can destroy them easily, because most of them have big weapons installed. So please STOP SAYING that a MECH HAS TO BE VERY TANKY!
If a single human soldier could run to a mech and blow it up in seconds with his M4 rifle I would agree, but it is what it is. MECHS SHOOTING AT OTHER MECHS! Their weapons are ~5 times bigger than the ones that humans would use.

#10 Putroid

Putroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 07:27 AM

After more than a year they've returned to the closed alpha stage
This is entirely false.

The game has seen some significant improvements in some areas. And gameplay is far from being close to alpha stages. Total health in alpha was actually higher than what it was during ascension.

#11 Rasti

Rasti

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted February 09 2014 - 08:16 AM

Actually this version feels the least like Alpha Hawken has ever been imo.

Hence why I simply don't play right now.

I'm slowly beginning to understand why a ton of the old time veterans despise Hawken now, or rather have been since about OB.

Jonnywithanh said:

yes you can be yoda

#12 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostRasti, on February 09 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Actually this version feels the least like Alpha Hawken has ever been imo.

Hence why I simply don't play right now.

I'm slowly beginning to understand why a ton of the old time veterans despise Hawken now, or rather have been since about OB.
It's hard to escape the feeling that there has been a sustained 'weakening' of the Hawken brand over the last year or more. I do believe that this most recent patch is trying to recoup some of that original authenticity, if that's the right term to use, but the game now feels like so much white noise and it's hard to find any depth to it. It just feels a bit too- basic now. I dunno. It's difficult to put into words.

At one time I felt honoured and privileged to be part of the alpha cycle, but now I almost wish that I hadn't taken part because perhaps approaching this game as it is now, as a newbie, my feelings for the game might not be so tainted.

#13 Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted February 09 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostMobstarr, on February 09 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

Have you ever played World of Tanks_ Even tanks can be destroyed in seconds. That's because other and sometimes bigger or even multiple tanks can destroy them easily, because most of them have big weapons installed. So please STOP SAYING that a MECH HAS TO BE VERY TANKY!
If a single human soldier could run to a mech and blow it up in seconds with his M4 rifle I would agree, but it is what it is. MECHS SHOOTING AT OTHER MECHS! Their weapons are ~5 times bigger than the ones that humans would use.

What are you trying to say here_  Is Adhesive going for more realism_
What is and was realistic about Hawken and its gameplay to begin with_
And yes tanks can oneshot eachother
.....Humans can oneshot humans
.....and humans can oneshot a tank with the right tools.

Whats your point __

Its all about the feeling you have.  Nobody (atleast not me) is complaining for getting fragged quick
since we all fight with the same stats.  If i can die that fast you can too.  If my weapon does this amount
of damage yours does too, so no problems there, its the same game for everyone. But .......
Fighting with low TTK mechs is just a joke.  They just feel like some fragile flowers now.

Adhesive probably wants to compete with Titanfall.
How long does it take to destroy a Titan in Titanfall (Human vs Titan or Titan vs Titan)
I bet it's almost the same TTK as we have in Hawken now.

Hawken stopped trying to be original a long time ago.  They just didnt have it.

Edited by Onebullit, February 09 2014 - 09:16 AM.

><(((((°> - - - - - - - - - - -  ><((°> ><((°> ><((°>

HAЩKEИ ---> hawken

Member of: Critical Assist

#14 Rasti

Rasti

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted February 09 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostOnebullit, on February 09 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

*snip*
Pretty much sums up my thoughts / feelings of the gameplay right now.

Killing someone in 2-3 seconds / shots just ain't fun for me.

Jonnywithanh said:

yes you can be yoda

#15 Siamenis

Siamenis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationinvading Zion

Posted February 09 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostRasti, on February 09 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

At a quick review of forum topics which deal with these issues, I'd rather say that many (probably) veterans prefer the current fast style gameplay than pre-patch one. It is understandable - that was the first iteration of Hawken we came to know and first impressions usually stick around. It was what convinced us to keep playing the game. The current setup most closely resembles that time, so it is met with a welcome.

Similarly, newer players will (again, probably) despise current heading, because of similar reasons. They were introduced to a different game style, which convinced them to stick around. This has created a chasm in the community, which is why I think this patch, in general, introduced too drastic changes across the board. If devs wish to achieve a setup that will be inviting to all players, which I believe they do, they should strive to find a middle road between these positions.

Edited by Siamenis, February 09 2014 - 12:16 PM.

Posted Image

#16 LordBraxton

LordBraxton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUSA East

Posted February 09 2014 - 12:30 PM

I don't understand

i got into HAWKEN 3 weeks ago (and Im glad I did because I have almost every mech unlocked and I only spent $30, most of which was spent on camo)

I play WAY better after this patch

I play all games cautiously, when I win the enemy usually calls me a coward for running away so much

I used to get a few kills and a ton of assists (always few deaths)

now my careful playstyle means when an enemy mech overpursues me, I just 180 and cut them down, and now my KDR is skyrocketing!

I am not a hardcore gamer, and I prefer RTS to FPS games, I just love mechs

this is not that unforgiving of a game

at all.

Hawken now rewards teamplay and positioning MORE than aiming ability!

Also I survive entire matches, just like how I used to.

You can't run when things go bad, you have to stay out of bad situations in the first place

Think 2 seconds ahead of your enemy and you win!

If you suck at aiming, play a bruiser like I do and focus on finding the perfect position to land hellfires!

(bruisers require less aiming skill, but even more situational awareness to balance that out IMO)

Edited by LordBraxton, February 09 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#17 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted February 09 2014 - 01:12 PM

For every casual gamer: you shall not compete with veterans and pros, they are better than you and will always be better. But you can compete with other casual gamers.

Btw the servers in UK are filmed now I am surprised.
The patch seemed to be pretty popular I mean a player increase of about 2600% is amazing!

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#18 Rasti

Rasti

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted February 09 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on February 09 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

I prefer RTS to FPS games, I just love mechs

Same here actually.
I still believe Supreme Commander Forged Alliance to be my all time favorite game, despite me being absolutely terrible at RTS games.

And honestly, 'recent' Hawken developments (including this patch, but not it alone) feel to me like SupCom 2 did compared to the first game.

Also, @ Siamenis:
My fault, I should have said: A ton of the veterans which I've spoken to and have already left the game.
Some of them told me this was coming. Should've listened.

Jonnywithanh said:

yes you can be yoda

#19 Mergaz

Mergaz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostFakeName, on February 09 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

For every casual gamer: you shall not compete with veterans and pros, they are better than you and will always be better. But you can compete with other casual gamers.

Btw the servers in UK are filmed now I am surprised.
The patch seemed to be pretty popular I mean a player increase of about 2600% is amazing!
Indeed in any competitive game with mm a beginner should not play with pro players, but in Hawken this aberration is possible.
Ascension also had full servers in the early days ...

Edited by Mergaz, February 09 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#20 LordBraxton

LordBraxton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUSA East

Posted February 09 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostRasti, on February 09 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostLordBraxton, on February 09 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

I prefer RTS to FPS games, I just love mechs

Same here actually.
I still believe Supreme Commander Forged Alliance to be my all time favorite game, despite me being absolutely terrible at RTS games.

And honestly, 'recent' Hawken developments (including this patch, but not it alone) feel to me like SupCom 2 did compared to the first game.

Also, @ Siamenis:
My fault, I should have said: A ton of the veterans which I've spoken to and have already left the game.
Some of them told me this was coming. Should've listened.

I never saw 'pre-ascension-  Hawken, so I don't have the widest lense here...

However I like this patch (and was really disappointed with supcom 2)

I don't think any of the strategy has been lost here, it has simply changed.

I have seen games end on the timer with only 15-20 kills per team because both sides were being cautious

I think the community will adapt overtime, and we will see less frustrating cases of allies diving to their death

SupCom 2 stripped out major features of SupCom right left and center

This new Hawken patch only really stripped tuning from the game.

My only issue is that I think dodging should still cost fuel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users