HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken went HARDCORE

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 parabellum_machina

parabellum_machina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 02:59 PM

View PostPutroid, on February 09 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

View PostPelax, on February 09 2014 - 01:19 AM, said:

After more than a year they've returned to the closed alpha stage
This is entirely false.

The game has seen some significant improvements in some areas. And gameplay is far from being close to alpha stages. Total health in alpha was actually higher than what it was during ascension.

That's true...

#22 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 09 2014 - 03:00 PM

As one of the Alpha Testers, I feel obligated to say that this build might as well be a different game than what I played in closed Alpha.

Also, this game is less hardcore than it was before. Shorter TTKs are more casual friendly than higher TTKs (at least in a game with such slow movement and lax aim requirements). There's nothing about the relatively slow movement that changed to push it into "hardcore" territory on that front, and the removal of fuel management with dodging has made moving around require less thought.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#23 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted February 09 2014 - 03:33 PM

sarcastic response removed

Edited by driedjello, February 09 2014 - 04:00 PM.

Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

#24 takashi_k

takashi_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 03:36 PM

Just play more cautiously.  Use cover.   Be stealthier.  Circle around, Stick with your teammates.

After this new patch my TTK is still around 5 minutes. It didn't change anything except that now escaping from ambushes is harder.   Don't get ambushed.

I'm pretty sure most of the whiners about this new patch are the same players that try to just run around and rambo.

#25 xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted February 09 2014 - 03:37 PM

View Postdriedjello, on February 09 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

The game has returned to it's alpha roots.  It was perfect then and for some reason it changed, but now it's perfect again.  The people who dislike this patch are in the tiniest of minority.  The vast majority of players want things like they are now and it's nothing like the other shooters out there.  It's very unique.  Of the players who have a distaste for this patch, we have to admit that we are terrible players and need to play another game like Farmville.

Or maybe, just maybe, people simply preffered longer TTK because they belived it was more fun and strategic. Just because they dislike the new patch doesn't make them Farmville players, Jesus burger flippin' Christ mate.

Get your hard on.

#26 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted February 09 2014 - 03:41 PM

Whoops,don't mind me... Zerglings get confused by so many buttons...

Edited by ReEvolve, February 09 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#27 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 09 2014 - 03:46 PM

View Posttakashi_k, on February 09 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

After this new patch my TTK is still around 5 minutes. It didn't change anything except that now escaping from ambushes is harder.   Don't get ambushed.

FYI, TTK isn't how long you can survive.
TTK has to do with how long a mech survives while constantly taking damage. It is something that you could test and as long as the armor and damage values don't change, multiple tests will give you the exact same TTK every single time.

For instance, shooting a Infiltrator with a SMC will destroy the Infiltrator in X amount of seconds. Unless you change the effective damage values on the SMC or effective armor values on the Infiltrator the TTK will be exactly the same no matter how many times you perform the test.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#28 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 03:48 PM

I think this is where much of the emotion comes from.  The proponets of the changes think somehow it's more "competitive", therefore if you can't hang you must dislike the changes.  It's just not always true.  The capacity to compete and the enjoyment of the game are mutually exclusive concepts, at least in this context.

Several of us have adapted to each patch and this is no exception.  I'm getting by just fine.  I'm generally a heatlhy contributer to my team.  A, B.. C class... doesn't matter.  Occassionally I have a dud but I always have. It's not a question of ability, it's a question of desire.  Can I compete like this_  Sure.  Do I want to_  Not particularly.  It's just not as fun to me.

(I'm not entirely sure why the devs thought people would like their gigantic, garage sized mechs getting shredded like newspaper.  Why even make it a mech game_)

Again, there's a laundry list of FPS games that encourage defensive positioning & conservative/methodical gameplay.  Hide behind cover, peak around and shoot....rinse/repeat until an enemy makes a mistake.  If this passes as fun to some then more power to them.  But please...spare me the nonsense how the changes are good because it fosters more teamwork or a higher level of thinking.  If tthere is one thing I'm categorically positive of-- is that it is not more strategic, it is not more competitive, it's just....  more boring to me.  Why is it more boring_  Because choices are now limited.  Many choices you had at your disposal before patch are no longer options.  The recourse for aggressive or any type of creative behavior is too critical.  You quite simply will die.

I'm still playing but with a heavy heart.  I genuinely thought this bad boy was going to be different.  It's why I picked it up in the first place.  I got tired of the same ol' stuff.

Edited by Bigfoot, February 09 2014 - 03:50 PM.

#29 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted February 09 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostBigfoot, on February 09 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

It's not a question of ability, it's a question of desire.  Can I compete like this_  Sure.  Do I want to_  Not particularly.  It's just not as fun to me.

Quoted for truth

BTW your whole post was a great read.

Edited by driedjello, February 09 2014 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

#30 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted February 09 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostxXHadroncutterXx, on February 09 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

View Postdriedjello, on February 09 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

removed

Or maybe, just maybe, people simply preffered longer TTK because they belived it was more fun and strategic. Just because they dislike the new patch doesn't make them Farmville players, Jesus burger flippin' Christ mate.

This was a response I read from the proponents of the patch.  Your reaction was the same as mine.  My amalgamation of the responses I have received while complaining about the patch was an attempt to be wry.
Posted Image

#31 irish_00

irish_00

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationKiev

Posted February 09 2014 - 04:09 PM

Spoiler
just for the record: that was a pure sarcasm that was hiding absolutely the same opinion as you have just stated above.

upd: I was a bit late :Ъ

Edited by irish_00, February 09 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#32 xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted February 09 2014 - 04:15 PM

View Postirish_00, on February 09 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Spoiler
just for the record: that was a pure sarcasm that was hiding absolutely the same opinion as you have just stated above.

upd: I was a bit late :Ъ

Well diddly doo, I need to send my sarcasm-o-meter back to the shop for fixing.

Get your hard on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users