HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How is the Bruiser_

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Varthorne

Varthorne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:15 PM

Ahoy!

I should begin by saying that I started playing yesterday. I got the starter pack, so mech-wise, I'm currently rolling with the CRT, Infiltrator (favourite so far), Vanguard, and Sharpshooter (second-favourite).

I'm getting very close to the 12-13k HC mark, and I'm looking to buy another mech.

Now, I know everyone is going to jump in and say "You don't need another mech, you already the CRT which is a god among mortals, and blah blah blah...", as well as "You shouldn't be spending your hard-earned HC on more mechs, you should be buying new weapons and internals".

I'm the kind of person who likes to try all kinds of different playstyles; I always try out each class in every game I play. I like having options, otherwise I get bored if I play the same character/class/mech for too long.

Anyway, on to the topic at hand. Bruiser: yay or nay_ It seems kind of interesting, but I can't find a whole lot of information about it. I've found a number of topics from 2012-2013 about it, and they all seem to agree that the Bruiser is the bottom of the barrel. Yet, a lot of time has passed since then, which means that a boat-load of patches have probably hit since then. I can't seem to find any recent topics, hence why I made this one.

Otherwise, I'm also looking at the Predator, Berserker and Scout. C-class mechs don't seem very interesting, and I get the feeling I'm far from the only one to think so.

TL;DR: Read the topic you lazy bum.

#2 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:29 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with spending your HC on more mechs first. While you're right in that the CRT is a great mech for learning the game mechanics and all around a strong performer, if you want to change it up go right ahead. :) You don't strictly need items or internals to perform well in the game. They help a little, items more so than internals IMO, but mostly it comes down to your ability.

On topic to your question, the Bruiser is so-so in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like it and think it's a fun mech, but when you get to tougher levels of play it's outshone by other classes. I think it's the odd weapons combo that causes it problems, so that it doesn't really have an optimal range like a lot of other mechs do. I still like to bust it out just for fun though (I have two actually :P ) so if you want to try it out I say go for it. Would you score better with other mechs_ Probably, but you already have some good choices for powerful hitters, so there's no harm in getting a "just for fun" mech the way I see it.

Just be aware that on open maps like Last Eco and Bunker you might receive a bit of ire for using Hellfire classes if a lot of your teammates are too.

Also, welcome to the game.

Edited by DM30, February 24 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#3 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:47 PM

The bruiser is a good mech but it is a completely different play style. Hellfires are great but they are far more powerful than firing in straight lines. You can make them curve around corners and over objects.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#4 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 08:08 PM

Bruiser_
Its special ability, damage absorb, reduces damage taken by a very high amount, but has an extremely short duration and a fairly short cooldown.  It's used for blocking a single big hit, not becoming a tank.
Hellfires are pretty strong in the open, and easily hit fliers.  They're a pain in the ass to fight against at long range, but at close range they suffer somewhat.
The assault rifle is a good weapon choice for the mid-long range bruiser, while the other primaries are more mid-range.  These can be a little odd though, given that you have a mid-to-long-range secondary and a short-to-mid-range primary.

#5 Varthorne

Varthorne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been playing a few matches with the Bruiser (test-drive), and I'm definitely having trouble figuring out how to play it. Am I wrong in assuming that it's more geared towards scoring assists than kills_

I've also beent trying out the hellfire curving, since I saw someone mention that in another thread.

My biggest issue so far is trying to deal with close-range targets. I've gotten pretty good at dancing around my opponents with the Infiltrator, and I've escaped death numerous times thanks to that. However, with the Bruiser, letting someone get that close has spelled death for me almost every time.

I'm definitely leaning more toward the Berserker now.

#6 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 24 2014 - 09:29 PM

Bruiser is a harasser, lock Hellfires at long range, both at mid range, Vulcan and (some) unguided Hellfire up close.

Heat is the biggest problem for the Bruiser, the SMC currently is a good option for easier heat control.

Damage reduction has about 15 second cooldown, don't be afraid to use it when you see a TOW coming.

Edited by Stingz, February 25 2014 - 08:06 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#7 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 12:07 AM

Try the predator, if you are up for the challenge

#8 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 08:45 AM

I would choose anything but the bruiser. In my opinion it is a bottom tier mech. I dodge HF's all day and 1v1 most bruisers still try to lock on. they dont know anything different. If I pop out of the corner and hit you. Then dodge back why would you continue to lock on_ it can only pick up kills. Steal them basically.

Pick up the scout or maybe the raider are great choices. I picked up the scout last and now I love playing it.

#9 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted February 25 2014 - 09:12 AM

The Berserker has insane DPS when you use the Vulcan (the Prestige weapon) and the Ability together.
It's an A mech though, so it's made out of glass.
If you just want to shred people, go for the Zerker.
The ability has about a minute of cooldown, from what I remember.

The Predator is more of an assasin/defensive mech, depending on how you play it.
Laying mines is fun, but unless you lay them well, it's not a very rewarding strategy.
Personally I prefer making direct hits with the EOC P and EOC R, but that's just personal preference.

The Bruiser_
Well.. some people like raum do very well in it, but I wouldn't reccomend it.
HellFires are easy to dodge, and it's primary weapons seem a bit odd of a mix with HF's.
The Ability is really useful though; however, you can only use it to block 1 secondary hit. (TOW, HF, Sabot, etc.)
Ofcourse you can use it to reduce the damage from sustained fire weapons, but I'd reccomend blocking secondary's with it,
seeing as it only lasts 1 second.

Sorry if it's too long to read.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#10 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 01:23 PM

anything with hellfires is a bad plan past mid level play. you just wont land them on most maps, and even when you do, their rate of fire is too slow vs the tow and grenade launcher. good at low, ok at mid, poor at high level.

#11 Claxus

Claxus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 27 2014 - 12:07 AM

Do hellfires do the same damage without lock-on_ Sometimes I manage to hit them like that in CQC and they seem to do a really nice burst of damage... But it's probably my imagination. Or do they do more damage closer, in general_

Anyway, I think the Bruiser's pretty nice. Very versatile. Hellfires can be hard to hit with, but at the same time, can provide excellent cover fire at any range (like, spawn and see an ally far off in a fight_ Just toss them a volley of support missiles 100 feet away!) and it's just something people have to react to even if you won't be hitting. The vulcan is weird, seems a bit too weak, maybe, but once you get used to the rev-up it's not bad and can add in some nice damage for your party. And the ability has saved me a lot. Seems crappy at first, but if you use it like a 'counter,' it's enough for Bruiser to win a duel. Predict and take in a grenade or rocket for half damage and their other shots for two seconds, and make your counterattack. It has very impressive cooldown, allowing you to use it in just about every encounter. It can help survival, turn the tables in a duel, and even rush in with a little defense if that's what your team needs.

Missiles also aren't too bad up close, especially against heavies. And they let you fight enemies at your own pace around cover so they need to chase you down. Also amazing to finish off that Scout that's getting away with low HP. And chase away pesky snipers for the team. I also like firing them through halls or near corners, people sometimes run into them as they peek out because of their high spread, and it can keep teams away from an entrance because the missiles disperse pretty wide, leaving no room through an entrance. Bruisy also has a built in turret, which is quite pathetic IMO, yet, it also has many uses that compliment his can-do-anything play style.

In short, I understand why people see it as a weaker mech... But honestly, he should be, because he fits any role. The 'one' thing Bruisy lacks is killing power. Which is very important, but, if the rest of your team can kill, Bruiser provides amazing support in any aspect. And helpful at indirect control, because people know they have to steer clear of open areas. My score is usually low with him, but that doesn't mean a lot because I feel like I really help my team (some area control and skyrocketing assists), like an offensive Tech that provides cover fire enemies just can't ignore.

But even so, Bruiser can win some CQC duels against As and Bs with crazy super pilot skills (make some newtype non-lock on missile shots) and his ability. Might not happen a lot, realistically. But he can beat Cs by abusing cover and arced missiles. His main thing is being able to do anything and especially help the team, Bruiser is the ultimate mary sue mech!

But now, a question. Coming from Vanguard, I feel like the sub machine cannon will really boost my damage output up close. Point D Vulcan just feels really awkward to me, can't really tell how strong it is with Bruiser. Anyone think the cannon is a more ideal choice_ I mean, I dunno, it looks like heat and the windup are the only big differences, but I feel like the cannon does much more damage when I play Vanguard. Would it help a lot more up close_

tl;dr Sorry didn't mean to tl;dr. But I think Bruisy's underrated. And just read the last paragraph.
Use power for the right things. At least for the things that you believe in. ~ Dingo Egret - Zone of the Enders 2
Posted Image
Faithful to my deus machina Bruiser.

#12 Rectex

Rectex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 03:38 AM

Hi, played 8 hours so far and have really enjoyed using the bruiser. Although I only have two mech so far the bruiser and the tv mech so I can't say it's a better mech than other mechs. After getting used to the bruiser's play style I have consistently done well with the bruiser (first or second place in my team most of the time).

This is what I think of the mech:
Goods:
Breaking through a choke point: Timing it's ability correctly, it can easily go through and still have enough health to take out a mech or two.

In 1v1: Personally in 1v1 situations I have won most of the time. There was even a time where an assault sneaked up on me and fired first, but I still managed to take him out. Generally the only mech type I encountered so far I have trouble winning in 1v1 situations are those bulky huge mech that can transform into tank shape thing (srry for my ignorance, I don't know what A, B, C class stand for). The bruiser just can't output enough damage without overheating to take out those type of mechs.

Finishing of a mech: The hellfire missile with its homing ability is very useful in taking out mechs that's running away and low in health.

Bads:
Vulcan’s heat: Unless one master how to keep track of how much they can fire the Vulcan before overheating you will be overheating A LOT. The Vulcan also loses a lot of accuracy in far range, so mostly use it in close to medium situations. It’s actually quite effective in close range. Does plenty of damage.

That’s about it. Generally my play style is if enemy is camping at far range I lock on, fire hellfire, and get in cover. Then if a path is available I try to get as close to the enemy as possible, find either the weakest mech in the clump or find a mech not near any other mech, then take it out. After that retreat to cover, heal up, rinse and repeat. Works pretty well.

#13 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted February 28 2014 - 04:39 AM

Farlanghn, on February 25 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

I would choose anything but the bruiser. In my opinion it is a bottom tier mech. I dodge HF's all day and 1v1 most bruisers still try to lock on. they dont know anything different. If I pop out of the corner and hit you. Then dodge back why would you continue to lock on_ it can only pick up kills. Steal them basically.

Pick up the scout or maybe the raider are great choices. I picked up the scout last and now I love playing it.
in tight situations,like in most places in wreckage the bruiser is a beast with the replenisher.or leave one behind to defend AA or MA.his primary weapons,gives you the choice of mid range or mid to long range gamestyle.i enjoy most short to mid range :P ,u just need to know where to lock or not.

Edited by Odinous, February 28 2014 - 04:44 AM.

#14 Claxus

Claxus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 01 2014 - 04:03 PM

Any advice on the primary weapons_ The Point-D Vulcan is a nice weapon, but I feel perhaps it's too specialized for Bruiser. Anyone think the Submachine Cannon is better for Bruiser, with its more consistent damage at range_ It generates a bit more heat, but it gets rid of the wind-up and adds mid-range to Bruiser's list of versatility options, that also compliments his missiles.

But I don't know much about the Assault Rifle. Anyone think it's a good weapon worth the prestige, and choosing it over the cannon for Bruiser_
Use power for the right things. At least for the things that you believe in. ~ Dingo Egret - Zone of the Enders 2
Posted Image

#15 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 05:29 PM

These days the Bruiser shines when on the defense on Missile Assault or Siege - where you have cover and your opponents want to cross open ground to reach your position. It's also a great mech for damaging enemies already occupied by skirmishing with one of your teammates. Especially if that opponent is flying.

Hellfires are worthless in mid or long range combat if you opponents play cover well. They're not ideal in close range combat either (even if you dumbfire). I can't find much use for it's ability - only lasts a second now, and I can't predict incoming TOWs or Grenades that well. I liked the Bruiser much more when it's ability lasted several seconds. I could hop into the middle of a fight, pop the ability, and go to town with the Point-D Vulcan, locking on and using Hellfires to finish anybody who tried to run. Can't do that any more.

For weapons, I have the best luck with the Assault Rifle (for sustained damage at longish range). When playing cover in close range (where the Bruiser is weakest), your best bet will be the Submachine Cannon. I don't think the Point-D Vulcan as particularly viable in any one on one encounter, though it'll shred a distracted enemy at close range.

#16 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 09:03 PM

Bruiser is bad. Simply put. Better off with a tow secondary

#17 Claxus

Claxus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 01 2014 - 09:45 PM

I don't think Bruiser's bad, but actually is meant more for tactics and control than the other mechs in the game. But I do think he actually is powerful enough in 1vs1 situations, just requires some serious aim. Point D Vulcan is really strong, and you can lock on and fire missiles at a sharp angle away, if they're too close. Problem with that is how hard it can be to focus on agile targets, but then, not even those can avoid locked-on salvo fired correctly.

Bruiser's kind of the assist king, that can hold his own, too. He doesn't need tow rockets. Hellfire makes him a versatile machine. They can be easy to avoid, but still provide amazing support fire at any range, and can annoy enemies by tossing them around corners or over cover. eventually making them change their position one way or another.

The shield ability, coupled with deflectors, will shave off 70% of damage for two seconds. Best used for 'deflecting' a secondary attack. Most people fire off their secondaries ASAP, so if you can get the timing for their secondary cooldown, you can close to completely negate their attack by boosting/dodging with the shield and deflectors, which gives you a 3~ second advantage. The shield can also be used effectively when you're under a lot of fire, or to make it out of a firefight (sometimes those 2 seconds of extra defense are what you need to turn that corner into safety or your team). And its cooldown is so short it can be employed often.

Well, Bruiser can be seen as bad because hellfires are both easy to avoid and makes his DPS low (and need special tactics in CQC), but he's more about just damaging. He can fit into just about any role in combat. Hellfires are easy to avoid but people know they have to avoid them, because they can hit anywhere in the open (including sniper positions), and they provide reliable and powerful support/cover fire. Bruiser is meant to play on a team and do whatever the team needs.He just lacks killing power. So go support a teammate with tow rockets.

Edited by Claxus, March 02 2014 - 01:23 AM.

Posted Image

#18 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:14 AM

you can support just as well or better in any other b-class

#19 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 09:01 AM

I don't use my bruiser anymore, which makes me sad. Probably has a lot to do with the ability being changed.

#20 Claxus

Claxus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 04 2014 - 02:39 AM

Krellus, on March 02 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

you can support just as well or better in any other b-class
It's anyone's opinion, but I disagree. Most classes can't fend off a sniper with missiles, or launch a salvo of burst damage as soon as you see your enemy a mile away. Those pesky light units that are dodging around like crazy with air dodges_ Lighten them up with a sure-hit salvo. Opposing heavy playing defense_ Play some cat and mouse with missiles around cover, forcing them to move. See an enemy tech healing behind an ally, lock on to them and let them have it, they'll take enough damage to have to react or die. The reload on the missiles isn't that bad, so you can even dumbfire them pretty constantly through choke points and narrow openings, because the salvo spreads a lot and will cover open areas they pass through.

These are things snipers or rocketeer can do, but the thing is Bruiser's a medium class. While he does this he's also up close with sustained danage weaponry, fighting on the front lines of the team, capable of taking more damage than a sniper, and capable of dodging unlike a heavy.

Already said my 50 cents on his ability, but in short, it lets him take a hit from anything and shrug it off, furthering his versatile offensive capabilities.

No other B class can throw hellfires to help an ally in combat far away, or fire artillery missiles around cover. They're essentially a 100% hit rate secondary at any range, for full damage. That alone is a merit of great support. Even the enemy just knowing they have to avoid open areas, or cover where you can arc missiles easily, because of you, is a big plus for the team.

With the vulcan or sub machine cannon, he can shred through enemies up close. With the assault rifle, his all-range capability is pretty dang impressive.

Also he does surprisingly well with an air compressor... Struggles a bit with fuel, but it turns him into quite an agile airborne missile machine, with the second highest flight speed rating in the game.

Edited by Claxus, March 04 2014 - 02:45 AM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users