HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How is the Bruiser_

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Juehua03

Juehua03

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 08:21 PM

when i go for it. i think the HF will be good choice for beginner. but when i found my opponents are too good at dodging HF and the HF's low fireing rate. i begin to hesitate to use the mech

#42 bkcat1

bkcat1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationOuter space, destroying worlds

Posted March 30 2014 - 08:25 PM

Well, it seems like the general opinion is split on whether the Bruiser is any good. I can see how the combination of shorter range primaries and the mid to long range hellfires might be awkward, the Bruiser is personally the mech with the highest kill/death ratio in my entire collection. With the Vulcan, it shreds up close, and its hellfires can easily finish off any wounded escaping enemies.

So, while it may not click for some people, I personally pull it out whenever my team needs a boost in kills.
Maybe after you try out some other mechs, you can see if you have any luck with the Bruiser_ :D

#43 Zycat

Zycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 10:35 PM

I'm liking the bruiser. just got it today and the weakest point in my opinion is the vulcan. locking in hellfires while firing your primary is a skill every bruiser pilot should master.

#44 Breech

Breech

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 04:10 AM

I don't know why people say the Bruiser is bad..He is NOT made for 1vs1... Yes, ofc he can kill, and ofc there are better mechs in CQC! The Bruiser was my first choice and I don't regret it. He does insane damage on C- mechs when they are defending the AA in Siege. Though, the first mech shouldn't be one with a TOW rocket or something or the player will never find his playstyle (because the TOW is OP and he doesn't want another secondary anymore you know..huehue).

Edited by Breech, March 31 2014 - 04:10 AM.

Posted Image

#45 Tipsy_Gunner

Tipsy_Gunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 02:06 AM

View PostZycat, on March 30 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

locking in hellfires while firing your primary is a skill every bruiser pilot should master.

I think this is my main struggle when piloting the Bruiser. My fingers tie themselves into knots when I attempt to lock on and fire hellfires while maintaining a suppressing line of fire with the primary.
Posted Image

#46 Wraithknight

Wraithknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted April 01 2014 - 05:15 PM

Bruiser with Assault Rifle is my favourite mech atm.  Good long range potential, decent close-mid range potential as well.  Excellent for holding AA or MS points.  I run with MG Turret, Rocket Turret, and Radar, as well as Shock Coils, Air Compressor, and Armor Fusor.  

While it may feel geared towards assists, who cares_  In this game it's not all about KDA.  Getting like 30 assists is fine too, and you'll get just as much EXP.

I find the Bruiser to be excellent at prolonged fire-fights in semi-open environments.  You can play it kind of like the Rocketeer, but with faster movement and a machine gun.

It's just my favourite mech due to it's overall capabilities, and while the Hellfires take some work to learn you'll love them when you've got the hang of it.

#47 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted April 02 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostVarthorne, on February 24 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

Ahoy!

I should begin by saying that I started playing yesterday. I got the starter pack, so mech-wise, I'm currently rolling with the CRT, Infiltrator (favourite so far), Vanguard, and Sharpshooter (second-favourite).

I'm getting very close to the 12-13k HC mark, and I'm looking to buy another mech.

Now, I know everyone is going to jump in and say "You don't need another mech, you already the CRT which is a god among mortals, and blah blah blah...", as well as "You shouldn't be spending your hard-earned HC on more mechs, you should be buying new weapons and internals".

I'm the kind of person who likes to try all kinds of different playstyles; I always try out each class in every game I play. I like having options, otherwise I get bored if I play the same character/class/mech for too long.

Anyway, on to the topic at hand. Bruiser: yay or nay_ It seems kind of interesting, but I can't find a whole lot of information about it. I've found a number of topics from 2012-2013 about it, and they all seem to agree that the Bruiser is the bottom of the barrel. Yet, a lot of time has passed since then, which means that a boat-load of patches have probably hit since then. I can't seem to find any recent topics, hence why I made this one.

Otherwise, I'm also looking at the Predator, Berserker and Scout. C-class mechs don't seem very interesting, and I get the feeling I'm far from the only one to think so.

TL;DR: Read the topic you lazy bum.

The Recruit is not a god . . . please 'scuse my ignorance Recruit players. If you like getting close, but not assault close and also like taking a break to snipe down other mechs and are good at moving when cornered, then I would go Reaper. The AM-SAR sucks when your cornered by mechs with automatic weapons, but nothing a decent amount of HC and mech XP can't fix.

But I'm curious about how the Pred works, because sniping other mechs gets confessedly boring in large, cover strewn maps like Origin, but I don't want to be a front-line jumper, that's just not how I play. (though I like to charge into a 1-to-4 firefight when I'm pissed).

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#48 FakeGhostPirate

FakeGhostPirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 01:55 PM

wow!  what a wealth of information and opinions.  I'm in the same boat as the OP and getting very close to having enough to buy the bruiser (or any of the top price tier mechs).  I've had my eye on it for a while now, honestly I'm looking for something more like the rocketeer but in a smaller package, which is really the bruiser.  The problem with HAWKEN is there are too many mechs I want!  Bruiser would be purchased eventually ANYWAY so why not just go for it first :P  I'm thinking Bruiser, Rocketeer, Technician in that order

#49 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 04 2014 - 01:04 AM

View PostBreech, on March 31 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

I don't know why people say the Bruiser is bad..He is NOT made for 1vs1
  Unknowingly, you have stated why some people think the bruiser is bad (except when it's killing them). The mindset of "If I can't solo everything with it at my leisure then it is trash".

See also:  The logic that because sniper weapons do not deal one hit kills in Hawken, it means they deserve a damage buff.  Because anything less than sweet 360 noscope one shot one kill isn't good enough for a sniper, or something.  If anything the added effort makes me swear out loud in this game when a good sharpshooter/reaper is ruining my life than other games.

Bruiser is next on my list of Mechs to go to, once I top out my Infiltrator.  It will be going back to something familiar in style to the Recruit and Assault, but still with enough of a change to keep it interesting.  Shame I'm complete garbage at efficiently using the ability.

Edited by SectionZ, April 04 2014 - 01:16 AM.

#50 FakeGhostPirate

FakeGhostPirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostSectionZ, on April 04 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

It will be going back to something familiar in style to the Recruit and Assault, but still with enough of a change to keep it interesting.

this is pretty much exactly how I feel.  it's got a nice gun for spray and pray, plus the rockets instead of TOW.  I still haven't gotten the bruiser, but I'm sure there are pros and cons to all mechs, and bruiser just seems like it would make me feel like a total boss when it's working well, and possibly very frustrating when I'm struggling with it.

#51 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostSectionZ, on April 04 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

See also:  The logic that because sniper weapons do not deal one hit kills in Hawken, it means they deserve a damage buff.  Because anything less than sweet 360 noscope one shot one kill isn't good enough for a sniper, or something.  If anything the added effort makes me swear out loud in this game when a good sharpshooter/reaper is ruining my life than other games.

I'm a sniper and (please correct if wrongly interpreted) I believe that if your weapon is getting one hit kills no scope, your OP and should start playing non-sniper mechs just to get your fingers moving.

#52 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 04 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostIronClamp, on April 04 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

I'm a sniper and (please correct if wrongly interpreted) I believe that if your weapon is getting one hit kills no scope, your OP and should start playing non-sniper mechs just to get your fingers moving.

In which case, you are not the sort of person I am Exaggerating about.  Since you are not saying, to quote those who shall remain nameless on these forums  "Cmon, just look at Gunz or Global Agenda, snipers must kill with 2 shots for light, 3 shots for medium and 4 for heavy."

#53 DarthScorpius

DarthScorpius

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 10:03 PM

View PostBreech, on March 31 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

He is NOT made for 1vs1

I disagree. I don't know if it is just skill but I rarely lose a 1v1 with my bruiser. The Hellfires are more accurate than TOWs and the Vulcan shreds nicely if aimed properly.

The bruiser is an all round mech. It works best in support but still fares pretty well otherwise.

#54 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 01:40 AM

View PostSectionZ, on April 04 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

In which case, you are not the sort of person I am Exaggerating about.  Since you are not saying, to quote those who shall remain nameless on these forums  "Cmon, just look at Gunz or Global Agenda, snipers must kill with 2 shots for light, 3 shots for medium and 4 for heavy."
well. from what I heard somewhere, the sabot does 155 damage when focused mode. so if you can hit a light twice with it, it will die. it will take more like 4 shots for a medium, and about 6-7 for heavys. but sense everyone plays lights hehe. but if I am wrong then I am wrong, then again, you also have the sa hawkens, slug and the amsam for a bit more firepower.. so they are not that far off from what they want.

#55 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 05 2014 - 06:23 AM

View Postkanamisan, on April 05 2014 - 01:40 AM, said:

well. from what I heard somewhere, the sabot does 155 damage when focused mode. so if you can hit a light twice with it, it will die. it will take more like 4 shots for a medium, and about 6-7 for heavys. but sense everyone plays lights hehe. but if I am wrong then I am wrong, then again, you also have the sa hawkens, slug and the amsam for a bit more firepower.. so they are not that far off from what they want.

Scoped in: 110 for Sabot, 75 for KE-Sabot. Still a ton of damage if you add in Slug Rifle's 60 (even more with powershot).
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#56 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostStingz, on April 05 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

Scoped in: 110 for Sabot, 75 for KE-Sabot. Still a ton of damage if you add in Slug Rifle's 60 (even more with powershot).
that makes more senes, still, what is that, 2-3 burts to kill a light. anyway, just kinda funny.

#57 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 06:54 PM

This sounds fair. especially since it's damned hard to shot twice with the Sabot and hit your target before it hides behind cover or you get shot at and have your ass wiped by a much better pilot.

#58 FakeGhostPirate

FakeGhostPirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 03:28 PM

I finally got my bruiser last night and got to play a couple of games with it (gonna do some more tonight) and I have to say my initial reaction is that I love it.  The major downside I've found is heat generation.  Also it's not a great CQC mech (not terrible, but not great).  But I had lots of fun with it and I'm really looking forward to spending more time with it :D

#59 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted April 15 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostTipsy_Gunner, on April 01 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

I think this is my main struggle when piloting the Bruiser. My fingers tie themselves into knots when I attempt to lock on and fire hellfires while maintaining a suppressing line of fire with the primary.

Helps to map the alternate fire mode to a key on your keyboard.  I use the "E" key, that way I can initiate lock-on without having to press the middle mouse button.  Hate me some middle mouse button.

#60 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 06:32 AM

You've read Devs Hate Snipers, haven't you_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users