HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Berserker - Overview and Gameplay

Video

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Abidus

Abidus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 04:06 PM

Since everyone and their mother seems to be playing a Berserker these days, I figured I'd make an overview video on it. Let me know what you guys think!

#2 McBonY

McBonY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 07:02 AM

Man, put some emotions into your narration if you don't want your viewers to fall asleep. Or maybe a bit of music, if thats easier....

I never really played berserker for too long, so i won't comment on educational value of that clip ;]

#3 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 25 2014 - 01:10 PM

Good video, also a notes for other Zerker pilots:

-Good Scouts will tear you to pieces more often than not. Flak Cannon is really good for blowing mechs out of the sky.
-You can usually out damage close range Incinerators with Barrage if you can avoid the SAARE shots.
-Avoid Hellfire mechs, it's hell if they know how to fly and aim Hellfires properly.

Edited by Stingz, March 25 2014 - 01:15 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#4 Abidus

Abidus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostMcBonY, on March 25 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

Man, put some emotions into your narration if you don't want your viewers to fall asleep.

Man I'm trying but It's hard to get the AM radio DJ in me to life when I need to. I'll try popping a pill or seven before I narrate the next one.

View PostStingz, on March 25 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Good video, also a notes for other Zerker pilots:

-Good Scouts will tear you to pieces more often than not. Flak Cannon is really good for blowing mechs out of the sky.
-You can usually out damage close range Incinerators with Barrage if you can avoid the SAARE shots.
-Avoid Hellfire mechs, it's hell if they know how to fly and aim Hellfires properly.

Agreed. Especially the note on hellfires. I feel Bruisers are a terrifying sight for a berserker, between the hellfires and the vulcan.

Edited by Abidus, March 26 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#5 hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationShow Me State

Posted March 26 2014 - 04:48 PM

Posted Image :mellow:
nice video. :)

Edited by hoghead, April 08 2014 - 05:01 AM.

#6 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted March 26 2014 - 09:25 PM

Like another player mentioned elsewhere: Hellfire secondary on Berzerker_ Nifty thot. You're right about flying a Bruiser after a Berz, or just "Jump, Lock, & Pop" missiling, then sailing in with the Vulcan-D for the finishing touch.
I have my Bruiser outfitted with a Fred Head, so it would be terrifying I gather, should an unsuspecting Berz be missiled, then Vulcan shredded by a C-RT. Veterans get wise to this, but not usually fast enough. The Fred sterotype is just too ingrained in HAWKEN. If there were a Berzerker chassis selection for Bruiser, I'd buy it. Nothing like good, old fashioned camouflage. It works in real warfare! During WW2 Allies would attack a German "merchant" ship, and suddenly doors would drop open, and rows of guns would begin firing. Boom.
I learned the stereotype vulnerability when outfitting my Infil chassis as a Berzerker. These "tricks" work for the owner, as well: you subconciously may drive your mech nearly like a Berz, bounce, fly and run, and have a bonus weapon or surprise Extra to devastate your opponent with. Sorta like psychological warfare. Whatever works!
Another thot: a maneuverably flying mech, particularly Berzerker, excells at ripping up C class mechs and especially back-shredding turreted ones. Bar none. :)
Well done vid.

Edited by EM1O, March 26 2014 - 09:42 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#7 kerberan

kerberan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 10:49 PM

There is a lot of camouflage lately. Yesterday I was baffled at how a sharpshooter become invisible, then I noticed he was firing pucks at me.

About Beserker, I noticed that assault mech is my nemesis. While in a duel I can seriously damage any mech, even a C class, but assault losses only a fraction of health before he destroys my mech.

#8 jrkong

jrkong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 12:52 AM

Berserker is lots of fun personally I find the Point D Vulcan caters to my playstyle perfectly. Hit, run, repeat, hit, run, repeat. Fuel management is almost key to my survival with Berserker since losing air superiority usually means death. Hellfires are a huge pain mainly because I'm usually too busy killing to bother dodging them and without Air Compressers there isn't much I can do regardless. I find myself favoring Replenishers over Air Compresser a lot on Berserker since it makes a noticable difference on your cooldown. I wouldn't say it's overpowered since solid counters for Berserker exist it's just it seems like some people don't like swapping mechs for the sake of taking out the pesky Berserker.

#9 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted April 14 2014 - 10:49 PM

View Postjrkong, on April 08 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:

I wouldn't say it's overpowered since solid counters for Berserker exist it's just it seems like some people don't like swapping mechs for the sake of taking out the pesky Berserker.

Or they lack a properly configured mech and the requisite skills to do so. If there's any mech I've run in to in the game that seems overpowered in the hands of a halfway decent pilot, it's the Berserker. Especially once they have the Vulcan. In a C class, if the other team has a good Berserker and nobody on your team can counter it, just give up on your C. It'll never stay alive. Ditto for most B classes unless you're damned good at anticipating. The only thing I've seen really act as a good hard counter is a really amazing (and properly kitted out) Assault or CR-T pilot, a good Scout, or another Berserker. Other than that, you're hosed.

#10 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted May 26 2014 - 11:08 AM

View Postkerberan, on March 26 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

There is a lot of camouflage lately. Yesterday I was baffled at how a sharpshooter become invisible, then I noticed he was firing pucks at me.

Yeah, the game desperately needs a "Force Matching Upper Chassis" display option. When enabled, that player should only see CR-T upper-chassis variations on CR-Ts, Technician chassis variations on Technicians, etc.

The way people are exploiting the customization right now reeks of (A) gameplay mechanics decaying into mush and (B) pay-to-win advantage.

Edited by Terr_, May 26 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#11 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted May 26 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostTerr_, on May 26 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

View Postkerberan, on March 26 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

Yeah, the game desperately needs a "Force Matching Upper Chassis" display option. When enabled, that player should only see CR-T upper-chassis variations on CR-Ts, Technician chassis variations on Technicians, etc.

The way people are exploiting the customization right now reeks of (A) gameplay mechanics decaying into mush and ( B) pay-to-win advantage.
How is this pay to win_ My scout has Reaper body, it doesn't help me at all when playing Scout, it doesn't help me when playing Reaper. At best I might get some confusion from another player, but that's going to instantly dissolve the moment I fire my gun.

#12 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted May 26 2014 - 08:38 PM

At best I might get some confusion from another player, but that's going to instantly dissolve the moment I fire my gun.

Seriously_ When your little trick works, people will try to get inside the range of "the sniping reaper", which then (surprise) fires a load of flak into their face followed by a TOW missile. That is a definite bonus for you, as opposed to if they correctly identified you as a Scout and kept the engagement at medium range!

In addition to the advantage it gives people who pay for cosmetics, it's also bad for gameplay overall, since it actually punishes people (especially new players) for trying to learn to recognize the model of mech they see, and to react appropriately for that opponent.

Edited by Terr_, May 26 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#13 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted May 26 2014 - 11:07 PM

On the one hand, I used to agree with you.

Then I played more and realized that chassis don't friggin' matter and that it was the guns on them that did, especially since a different loadout will drastically change the way a mech is played.

So what new players need to learn instead is to ID guns, not chassis.

#14 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 27 2014 - 02:01 AM

View PostTerr_, on May 26 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

At best I might get some confusion from another player, but that's going to instantly dissolve the moment I fire my gun.

Seriously_ When your little trick works, people will try to get inside the range of "the sniping reaper", which then (surprise) fires a load of flak into their face followed by a TOW missile. That is a definite bonus for you, as opposed to if they correctly identified you as a Scout and kept the engagement at medium range!

In addition to the advantage it gives people who pay for cosmetics, it's also bad for gameplay overall, since it actually punishes people (especially new players) for trying to learn to recognize the model of mech they see, and to react appropriately for that opponent.

I think it's rather easy to see what mech it is.
There's something called a ''symbol'' ontop of the mech if you aim at it.
Plus the weapons can easily be identified before they even fire them.

That ''trick'' of yours only works with <1300 MMR players, if I was to guess.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#15 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 06:52 PM

"Aim at them first" isn't a reasonable response.
  • The game has limited turning speed when enemies are on your periphery
  • You often you have to make tactical judgments while you're busy aiming at somewhere (or someone) else
  • You can't aim at an enemy if they've already dodged back behind cover
  • It doesn't always show up at range
You don't have to fool all the people some of the time, or some of the people all the time, you just have to fool them enough for an advantage and that makes it illegitimate.

#16 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 30 2014 - 01:28 AM

View PostMeraple, on May 27 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

Plus the weapons can easily be identified before they even fire them.

I love how you just ignored this.

''Aim at them first'' IS a reasonable response.

-You can easily turn to enemies in your periphery, and you can just look at their weapons without aiming directly at them
-You can't make tactical judgements while moving your mouse to another person_ Okay
-If they've dodged behind cover without you knowing what class it was, you either were too slow or you failed to look at their weapons
-You use Berserker in long-range fights_ It's not really effective at that

Only fuzzy people get fooled by chassis changes.
It's easy enough to look at the weapons, even at medium range.
Don't expect to fool ANYBODY in the competitive scene.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users