HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

No one like a pub stomp.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#1 RazorDawg

RazorDawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 12:24 AM

No one likes a pub stomp. Remove parties. Parties mess up an already messed up match making system. Some games end up having to be 2 vs 6.

Please, remove that fuzzy bunny.

Edited by RazorDawg, March 25 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#2 McBonY

McBonY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 01:02 AM

Parties are not a problem, parties facing pub groups are.

#3 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted March 25 2014 - 01:35 AM

Problem is also that there are no rooms available for higher players so (e.g. me) they use the Matchmaker to get places in rooms unavailable for them, usually. But this way forces the MM to place the higher tier player atleast somewhere.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#4 RazorDawg

RazorDawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 10:40 AM

Removal of parties is the best thing for hawken right now since the game doesn't have enough players. People are quiting this game cause of this problem, and this is just one of the problems. Removing this fuzzy bunny is one small step towards good decision making for the devs.

#5 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 25 2014 - 10:47 AM

The bigger issue is probably how parties are handled in a match, and the fact MM uses the average MMR of the party.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#6 RazorDawg

RazorDawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 10:52 AM

"The bigger issue" is parties. Remove them, and the problems are gone, period.

#7 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 25 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostRazorDawg, on March 25 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

N.O, no way, nope, nay, nopeeers.. lol.

Now seriously... No.

The improvements at organizing teams prior playing a match is the way.

and yes, no one likes to be killed by 3 or 5 opponents most of the times during a match. But, at least in my own experience, that isn't happening many times; to not say in rare occasions.

My 2 cents on this subject.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#8 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted March 25 2014 - 11:17 AM

Lets put this into context:

NO!

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#9 RazorDawg

RazorDawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 11:34 AM

Lets put this into a correct context.

YES!

The correct opinion is that parties are a big problem since they're more coordinated then random players, making a big impact in balance. What is the effect this is doing to the game_ people leave.

If you like pub somping then enjoy your dead game.

fuzzy bunny your 3 men party stomps.

Edited by RazorDawg, March 25 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#10 Trych

Trych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 11:52 AM

This is a lost cause. Parties will not be removed from Hawken. Simple as that.

ideas are bad

#11 McBonY

McBonY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 12:01 PM

Not sure if serious....

You sound so bitter RazorDawg, that i can hardly tell if you are trolling or is it a serious case of forever alone...

I agree that being in a team of randoms against well coordinated party is not fun, but hey... "I don't have a party so noone will have any" is not a solution ;P

#12 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted March 25 2014 - 12:11 PM

Apparently removing the most viable way of playing with friends is a good thing for a multiplayer only game.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#13 BoompigXD

BoompigXD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 12:37 PM

Instead of removing them, fix the way they handle the fuzzy bunny MMR.

Either:
A: Organize by the person with the Highest MMR
B: Only allow people who are in parties to play against people who are also in parties

I vote B

Posted Image

#14 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 25 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostRazorDawg, on March 25 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

Lets put this into a correct context.

YES!

The correct opinion is that parties are a big problem since they're more coordinated then random players, making a big impact in balance. What is the effect this is doing to the game_ people leave.

If you like pub somping then enjoy your dead game.

fuzzy bunny your 3 men party stomps.
Removing partying from a multiplayer game is tantamount to suicide. It's a fantastic way to kill a game these days.
Being able to party up with friends is one of the single most important features in modern multiplayer games. It's simply not an option to get rid of it, not in today's gaming culture. Maybe you could have gotten away with it a decade ago or so, but not these days.

All you have to do is look at how many people are upset you can't have a full party, and how many people push for a MM system where parties can be larger to see how many people love the idea of partying.

You can assert that your opinion is correct, but it runs counter to the facts, and as such it is not logically correct.

Furthermore, until you can prove that parties are what's causing all your pubstomp problems, you really don't have a case.
If you look at what's been going on (ie: the data), most of the pubstomps you experience are likely not due to parties, but just higher tier players getting mixed in with noobs, problems with ragequitters imbalancing matches and an overall problematic matchmaker balancing system.

I'm not going to say parties vs. pubs don't cause problems, because that certainly isn't true, but it does not make up for the majority of match balance problems. And like I said before, you simply can't remove the option to party in a multiplayer game without ticking off a significant portion of the playerbase and doing irreparable damage to the games population.

You may be pissed off and not like it, but you're going to have to deal with parties being in existence.
Just be glad they capped the size of parties. It used to be you could have full parties vs pubs, and that was terrible.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#15 Niceguydan8

Niceguydan8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostRazorDawg, on March 25 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

The correct opinion

First of all, no. That's not how opinion works.

Second of all. I would quit playing Hawken if they got rid of parties. Two of my friends get together occasionally and we play Hawken for a couple of hours about twice a week. I have been trying to get my daily wins but I don't play besides that. I can't imagine I'm in the minority of people that play with friends.

Just have better matchmaking, having parties isn't really a problem itself. Taking it out would be a terrible choice in terms of keeping players.

#16 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted March 25 2014 - 01:13 PM

Can anything be done about the skill-weighting of parties, though_  I understand compensating for assumed communication between the members of the party, but the other side of the coin is how those coordinating players rarely if every coordinate with the rest of their team.  Any time I see a party join my team I just know the matchmaker's gonna heavily favor the other team in terms of skill.

For those unaware:  when matchmaking, a party is treated as though it has a higher mean mmr than it actually has because it is assumed the partied players will use teamwork amongst themselves and be more than the sum of their parts, so to speak.  This ends badly, often.

Oddly enough, I don't mind at all when the party that joins my team is a tech/brawler or tech/incin pairing.  That's kind of like winning the lottery.

Edited by comic_sans, March 25 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#17 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted March 25 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostRazorDawg, on March 25 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

lol no. Stomps happen without parties way more than there are cases of party stomps.

Posted Image

#18 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 25 2014 - 01:34 PM

View Postnokari, on March 25 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

lol no. Stomps happen without parties way more than there are cases of party stomps.

I do concur.

Edited by The_Silencer, March 25 2014 - 01:35 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#19 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 25 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

Removing partying from a multiplayer game is tantamount to suicide. It's a fantastic way to kill a game these days.
Being able to party up with friends is one of the single most important features in modern multiplayer games. It's simply not an option to get rid of it, not in today's gaming culture. Maybe you could have gotten away with it a decade ago or so, but not these days.
Team Fortress 2. Never had parties, still huge.

If you want to play with your friends in TF2, you click the "join friend's server" button in Steam and there you are. It helps to make the connection that shooting your friends is just as fun as teaming up with them.

#20 RazorDawg

RazorDawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostMcBonY, on March 25 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Not sure if serious....

You sound so bitter RazorDawg, that i can hardly tell if you are trolling or is it a serious case of forever alone...

I agree that being in a team of randoms against well coordinated party is not fun, but hey... "I don't have a party so noone will have any" is not a solution ;P

If I start my own party, it's gonna be a party of 2000's, and will stomp the fuzzy bunny out of any game. There is also a chance that another party of 3 will join the same team because there is already 4 players on the other team. This happens a lot and I know because I play a lot. Just because you rarely play doesn't mean you're right about saying that this rarely happens.

The solution is simple, remove parties.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users