HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

[Q] [Videos] Mech for Playstyle & Tips for Improvement

Video

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 realitysconcierge

realitysconcierge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 03:39 PM

Hey guys,
I absolutely adore this game. As such I want to get better. I'm not very good at analyzing my own gameplay and I was hoping maybe you guys could help. I'm fairly comfortable on the Assault, but I wonder to myself if I'd be better suited in a different mech or even just other weapons and items. What do y'all think_

Also, from my videos, if you could provide any feedback for improvement in my combat that would be fantastic.
Thanks!

I'm currently using the submachine cannon and tow rocket with the H.E. Charge MK-1, composite armor, deflectors and repair kit.

#2 KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Locationsaving money..

Posted March 27 2014 - 03:45 PM

Subbed.
Posted Image

#3 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 04:53 PM

Just a couple of things I noticed in the first match. The firs thing is you all stayed in your starting area for quite a while. I know that isn't a "problem" so to speak but don't be afraid to step up and take point. One thing that I have noticed in Hawken is that people follow the person who take the lead. This can be kind of annoying for a Infil that wants to flank lol.

I couldn't tell for sure but you never used the health orbs. Health orbs are dropped by dead mechs. Just stand on them and you will heal up quite nicely.

You fly almost to much. You don't want to stay up for very long. You will become a very easy target.

Don't be afraid to dodge in combat. If just to through off you opponents aim for a second.

Another thing is to make use of cover whenever possible. Don't sit trading hits with someone if you can help it. Try to keep as much health as possible and end the combat quickly. That will allow you to move on to the next fight quickly, and with less time spent repairing.

One last thing is the TOWs. You seem to hold them until you are sure they will hit. That is perfect. I am not sure if you know but you can remote detonate them after firing by hitting RMB again. This does some nice splash. You also have to lead your target when shooting a TOW.

I look forward to more videos! We need more people putting up Hawken videos on Youtube!

#4 realitysconcierge

realitysconcierge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 05:16 PM

View PostDesert_Fox2, on March 27 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

I look forward to more videos! We need more people putting up Hawken videos on Youtube!
Thank you so much! I will definitely keep those things in mind.

#5 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted March 28 2014 - 12:13 AM

You do a lot of good things, your play style isn't bad but you need to be thinking faster.

- Look at your radar more. You put yourself in bad spots too often. Your approach, if you can, should be to your advantage. You need to be able to plan your moves around both your allies and enemies. Jumping into combat with no back up in sight doesn't usually pan out. I can't stress enough the planning of your moves especially in a B class. You need to be able to survive or at least have a cost effective death. Example: When you're on the bridge shooting down at them, you shouldn't jump down and go for one target. You should get as much damage as possible in before you make your strike to clear a team. Use your allies as indicators as to your risk level. If you have lots of allies jumping then hell ya. Patience rewards you in this game, don't just sit there though... help your team.. help them help you.

-You need to be dodging MORE. You don't show up on the radar unless your within their range. Even in TDM it's a race to the most advantageous spot, dodging does not cost fuel use this! When your in combat you should be dodging a lot and never standing still. Dodge with a purpose. You're trying to keep as much damage off you as possible, and there may be more than one enemy shooting you. If you can time their TOWS as well so you know when to dodge to throw them off. Dodging and walking against their turn cap so they are forced to counter dodge or lose sight of you. Use the turn cap against them.

-You spend a lot of time in the air. Your like a sitting duck unless you have air dodge. Until you do keep your feet on the ground for the most part. You can still use a jump to your advantage, it's easier to hit your target, so if all you need is one hit maybe you can risk it.

-You do a lot of self damage which means you're not paying attention to the amount of area damage your tows in. There are many instances where you could have completed the same objective and risked less or lost less health. The SMC has some range and the TOW is fast both in projectile speed and cool down. If that's not your style than pick up a failsafe and go nuts.

You need to use your speed. More movement, you need to be as hard to hit as possible. Put yourself in spots where you can dish out the damage and take minimal damage. Move with your team, and support them. Make the enemy work to kill you, don't give them anything for free.

Good luck pilot, hope some of this helps.

MOVE THOSE FEET!

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#6 realitysconcierge

realitysconcierge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 06:24 PM

View PostLoC_TR, on March 28 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

Thanks so much! I will take all of that into account! It will sound silly, but I'm sort of afraid to dodge because of how disorienting it is for my aim, but I'm sure it just takes practice.

#7 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 06:50 PM

View Postrealitysconcierge, on March 28 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

View PostLoC_TR, on March 28 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

Thanks so much! I will take all of that into account! It will sound silly, but I'm sort of afraid to dodge because of how disorienting it is for my aim, but I'm sure it just takes practice.

Just hope into an offline TDM and just practice dodging while fighting. What have you got to lose. ;)

#8 Cryogene

Cryogene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 12:04 AM

It's literally a case of dodging more and being more aware of your surroundings. Although you're new, you have quite a good grasp of the game and how to counter simple enemy tactics. Your outflank is good, perhaps you'd like to try the infiltrator_ The grenade launcher is the easiest weapon to hit with in the game at mid range and does a lot of damage. The assault rifle is similar to the SMC and the infiltrator's ability is superb for offensive and defensive tactics.

Like people have said, your radar is your best friend. Eventually, you can even predict how much health people have by their movements, allowing you to pull off assassinations very easily. Also check out the map guides on playhawken.com so that you can work out which areas you shouldn't go to prevent unfortunate confrontations. Don't forget to watch your team's position. Also you sometimes were being shot and seemed to ignore it. Check the direction, work out where they are on radar, get to a better position and then determine your next move.

What's your in-game name_ You seem like a nice person with potential, and there aren't enough people like this on Hawken these days (in my experience)

Cryogene, Closed-Beta-tester and Infiltrator player

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users