HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Maps - Essential to strategy and tactics... Or unnecessary_

Game

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LuchiousCaine

LuchiousCaine

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationDK

Posted April 09 2014 - 03:23 AM

Lately, I have found myself missing what we once had... And seeing I could not find a post regarding it, I figured I would start one.

In-Game Mapping!
In my near-year of squad leading experience in TAW's Hawken Division, I often found myself shifting to the map, as being essential for keeping an overview of the battlefield, due to how fast-paced the game is, and how chaotic the spawning becomes at times. But the one flaw I found in it was the fact you had to stop all movement entirely to bring it up as a new overlay. What I feel we need is a fast map that can be pulled up, perhaps like the mech's starting sequence in siege and missile assault mode. (Or like the old one, that just took up an overlay) But not have it stop you from moving!
   Some may argue that the mini-map suffice, along with proper voice communication. I agree, it "suffice" but can be improved with access to a proper battlefield overview, especially with the use of radars and enemy call-outs.

Hangar Mapping!
Basically, my thought here is to have access to each map without being in a round, and possibly have it be interactive in a party to allow for optimal planning. This could be zone-naming, exemplary situation solving (How to behave under certain conditions), and just to have proper knowledge of each map, without the chaos of a battle.

So, what do you tacticians out there think_ We have seen how maps can change fights through other FPS games.

Edited by LuchiousCaine, April 09 2014 - 03:24 AM.

#2 LuchiousCaine

LuchiousCaine

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationDK

Posted April 09 2014 - 07:52 AM

Quick note. I figured I would put this here, instead of under the Maps topic, because I don't want actual map/arena discussion, but to discuss the usefulness of having actual map overlays to display each area. In case that wasn't clear to some.

#3 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted April 09 2014 - 11:08 AM

Could be useful if the maps are gridded, so you can call out coordinates.  For example, "Enemy is headed south from C2."

#4 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 04:39 PM

It felt like they took the large map overly out because I could not find the keybinding for it in key configs, is it still in the game_ and if it is, whats the keystroke for it_

#5 LuchiousCaine

LuchiousCaine

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationDK

Posted April 11 2014 - 02:44 AM

It is no longer in game, sadly. I am uncertain if they have just taken it down to improve it or if they saw it as useless. An example of what the map used to look like can be seen below. So, focus point was basically a waypoint you could point people to, which was very helpful, but you could only place one. More would've been better. Nor did the map have much, if any depth to it when it came to detail.
Thanks to Timber_Wolf on the forum here for posting it. It was close to the only example out there, likely because the map itself is so obscure, in my opinion.
Posted Image

Edited by LuchiousCaine, April 11 2014 - 02:50 AM.

#6 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 04:30 AM

I really want the map back, it was really helpful, heck, the only reason I know the maps as well as I do is because I remember using them. again, I have good mental maping skills, but I dont know how many other people do, so it might be problematic, also its very helpful for co op.

#7 LuchiousCaine

LuchiousCaine

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationDK

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:21 AM

I personally do have a mental map too, but it's often difficult to describe what area you specifically mean, when in the heat of battle. Instead of saying "-Go to the balcony via the bridge, and jump up to flank.." you can just say "-Two go to Z3 and rest distracts on Z5" Where Z# would be marked on a map. That would be amazing to see, instead of the elaborate commands which you have named in your own head, that others might not catch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users