HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New player - I feel cheated for my points ...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DaddysHome

DaddysHome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 01:27 PM

Hey,

new player here

Hawken is a cool change from the other FPS games I played.

Although it seems very grindy ....................

I got used to playing with the Recruit bot and got excited for the assault mech so I bought it with the starting MC. Meh, so far no complaints here

I worked my way up again until I was eligible for the D Vulcan machine gun, which on paper should be better (considering the hefty cost of 5.4K hawken credits... which take an age to farm)

Boy was I so dissapointed with this weapon ...

the build up required is too long, if you wanna do dps with it your like a sitting duck

TL;DR
Con: D-Vulcan cannon -> HUGE letdown for the price; considering the grindwall
Pro: can't say it's pay to win -> if you paid for this the letdown would be even worse xD

#2 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted June 05 2014 - 01:39 PM

First off, Hawken isn't pay to win, so a higher price means nothing... second I love ma vulcan on ma assault D:
And yes the grind can be annoying, but it only takes a couple days to get a new weapon...

EDIT: also the new weapons are all more or less balanced, so there are tradeoffs no matter what you get, and many of the weapons are meant to change the playstyle of the mechs you use, so they are often rather different, and require you to re-learn tactics to fit them.

Edited by Frisbee_Player, June 05 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#3 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted June 05 2014 - 01:44 PM

Your using it wrong
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#4 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted June 05 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostFrisbee_Player, on June 05 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

First off, Hawken isn't pay to win, so a higher price means nothing... second I love ma vulcan on ma assault D:
And yes the grind can be annoying, but it only takes a couple days to get a new weapon...

EDIT: also the new weapons are all more or less balanced, so there are tradeoffs no matter what you get, and many of the weapons are meant to change the playstyle of the mechs you use, so they are often rather different, and require you to re-learn tactics to fit them.

What this guy said.  Changing weapons is literally like getting a new mech.  It plays differently than the same mech with a different primary.

#5 Odra

Odra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 01:46 PM

Unlockables are not upgrades, many of them just trade one aspect for another one; That is why they are all priced the same, you buy them if the original weapon doesn't suit your style.

Take the Incinerator's B3-4R weapons for example (in regards to accuracy):

BBY - Good for long range; Bad for short range
PPA - Bad for long range; Good for short range
M4MA - Decent at both ranges

They also have different spin-up times and traits.

The only way a weapon can perform better for you is if it suits your style, otherwise you have to adapt to the weapon.

Edited by Odra, June 05 2014 - 01:47 PM.

"Rock is overpowered; Paper is fine" - Scissors
Keep this in mind whenever people talk about balance and nerfs.
Posted Image

#6 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted June 05 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostDaddysHome, on June 05 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

I worked my way up again until I was eligible for the D Vulcan machine gun, which on paper should be better (considering the hefty cost of 5.4K hawken credits... which take an age to farm)

Well, yeah, weapons and mechs that have to be unlocked aren't better by definition. They aren't upgrades. They just play differently. It's all about finding the weapons and mechs that suit your playstyle the best. :)

#7 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted June 05 2014 - 01:58 PM

The only case I know of were a mech gets an "upgraded" weapon is the Incinerator, and that's only because of how busted the Papa Bear is in conjunction with the SARRE. The rest of them change the play styles of the mechs rather upgrade them, noticed how the CRT's default primary is the Assault's prestige_

#8 DaddysHome

DaddysHome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 02:05 PM

Wow active boards here :)))

Well I wish I knew that before I bought that then lol...

vs noobs its great LOL

but against anyone knowing what he is doing i'm probably the noob with this gun...

#9 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted June 05 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostDaddysHome, on June 05 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

Wow active boards here :)))

Well I wish I knew that before I bought that then lol...

vs noobs its great LOL

but against anyone knowing what he is doing i'm probably the noob with this gun...

Fred/Assault has a decent amount of armor. Such means you can stay in the open for a decent amount of time. Use that to your advantage. Don't try to dodge every shell, just get close, open up with your Vulcan + TOW, and keep both on your enemy.

The Vulcan sucks at range, but it melts everything in CQC, so long as you can keep your crosshairs on your target.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#10 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 03:02 PM

The vulcan does have a higher dps, but the difference in ttk isn't very much compared to the smg.  A better player can corner camp you and make up the damage with a tow easily.  You'll probably find smg to be a very strong weapon because it is so well rounded and easy to use compared to the vulcan, or almost any weapon.

Vulcan is better in some instances, but you need to play the assault a lot differently to take advantage of it.

#11 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted June 05 2014 - 03:54 PM

SMC and Assault Rifle have similar play styles, however, with SMC's lower heat gen it is better at sustained pressure. Also, SMC out of all the sustained  weapons, it is by far the best, and most well rounded. Most top tier players use it for this reason.

Vulcan is the same but best used with constant bead on the enemy. Therefor, not the best for corner play but is well for ambushing and open combat.

If you are using an vulcan like the SMC, then you are doing it wrong. They require 2 completely different play styles. However, vulcan has the best DPS and damage, but that is only at close range. SMC works well with medium and short range and is used to complement the TOW. TOW is your primary source of damage. Not a secondary.

If you use a Vulcan, you can rely on it more as a point of damage and it is too valuable to let it spin down. So smarter, more careful play is required.

Edited by OmegaNull, June 05 2014 - 05:32 PM.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#12 LONEDEADWOLF

LONEDEADWOLF

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationHell-Fires Point Of Origin

Posted June 05 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostOmegaNull, on June 05 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

SMC and Assault Rifle have similar play styles, however, with SMC's lower heat gen it is better at sustained pressure. Also, SMC out of all the sustained  weapons, it is by far the best, and most well rounded. Most top tier players use it for this reason.

Vulcan is the same but best used with constant bead on the enemy. Therefor, not the best for corner play but is well for ambushing and open combat.

If you are using an vulcan like the SMC, then you are doing it wrong. They require 2 completely different play styles. However, vulcan has the best DPS and damage, but that is only at close range. SMC works well with close and short range and is used to complement the TOW. TOW is your primary source of damage. Not a secondary.

If you use a Vulcan, you can rely on it more as a point of damage and it is too valuable to let it spin down. So smarter, more careful play is required.
Listen to these guys and KING-Null....lol seriously they know what there talking about..Dont worry there honey we all have to adjust for new weapons..I myself believe it or not dont like to learn the game so i dont get bored........Plus every weapon is about as balanced as it gets i think....could be wrong...but so far so good and WELCOME to Hawken...Best mech game  on the Planet Earth, Mars doesnt count... ;)
meet death with both eyes open.....and a fist full of hell-fires...Long live the Rocketeer ©>~}~~~

#13 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 05:32 PM

Thanks dear.

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

#14 LONEDEADWOLF

LONEDEADWOLF

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationHell-Fires Point Of Origin

Posted June 05 2014 - 05:42 PM

Ur Welcome.. ;) :wub:  it is the truth...

Edited by LONEDEADWOLF, June 05 2014 - 05:43 PM.

meet death with both eyes open.....and a fist full of hell-fires...Long live the Rocketeer ©>~}~~~

#15 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 06:05 PM

Also, I am no king. Please, call me Omega.

Posted Image

#16 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted June 05 2014 - 06:37 PM

Vulcan is an absolute terror if the opponent can't/doesn't bother finding cover,
CRT/Assault has less heat issues using Vulcan with Coolant backup.

Edited by Stingz, June 05 2014 - 06:38 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#17 Ikuinen_Lynx

Ikuinen_Lynx

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostCoboxite, on June 05 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

The only case I know of were a mech gets an "upgraded" weapon is the Incinerator, and that's only because of how busted the Papa Bear is in conjunction with the SARRE. The rest of them change the play styles of the mechs rather upgrade them, noticed how the CRT's default primary is the Assault's prestige_

the papa is not "busted", its simply meant to be used in a very different manner from the others. its for burst close range. you cycle between it and the 2ndoption Sarre. It follows a very particular rhythm.
Posted Image

#18 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 08 2014 - 02:36 PM

Assault is da Bom with inyourface smack using vulcan. if you want the same performance and are willing to aim a bit better and get distance/mid range hits, smc is your rod--and they both are almost identical for general characteristics. as already sed, diff weps, diff play styles even tho it's the same mech!
also: "sitting duck"_ you deserve to die. Keep Moving!!! run (don't boost--as you will glow brightly on your enemy's radar) dodge, jump, bunny hop, chicken dance, do SOMETHING! sit and you're Dead.
yeh, the grind is sorta sucky. no disagreement there. been here for a year and a half and still grinding. must be something good about it, eh_
Rock On!
O.

Edited by EM1O, June 08 2014 - 02:42 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#19 Z3roCool007

Z3roCool007

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in you're room.

Posted June 09 2014 - 07:45 AM

You're Use of the Point-D Vulcan is bad and you should feel bad!
Posted Image

Now I know we can never be friends

-EliteShooter

#20 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted June 09 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostIkuinen_Lynx, on June 08 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostCoboxite, on June 05 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

the papa is not "busted", its simply meant to be used in a very different manner from the others. its for burst close range. you cycle between it and the 2ndoption Sarre. It follows a very particular rhythm.
By "busted", I meant it as "overly powerfully busted". There is no reason to take any of the other Inci weapons, Baby runs too cold and Mama does very little damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users