HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Film Grain Toggle

Beta

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted October 25 2012 - 11:06 AM

I am politely requesting a dedicated on-off switch in the Advanced Graphical Settings options to disable the film grain effect. This toggle would allow players toggle film grain on and off based on user preference.

Providing a dedicated toggle switch would support users with the following problems:

1)      Headaches caused by eyestrain due to random static effects

2)      Increased in-game lag due to lower-end GPUs

3)      Inability to focus on proper three-dimensional depth due to interference from unnecessary particle effects

In its current state, while the film grain is a beautiful effect that increases the immersion of the Hawken experience, I do not believe it has positive effects on all players. I realise that setting my graphics to LOW will disable this film grain effect, but I would very much like to play Hawken at higher Grphical presets without film grain, due to the three reasons listed above.

Edited by Conquistador, October 25 2012 - 11:09 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 25 2012 - 11:09 AM

Yes, i agree. Even though i like the visual effect film grain gives, it's just hard for my eyes, especially when I'm playing 4-5 hours straight ^_^
Posted Image
*sigh*

#3 CAmpie_X

CAmpie_X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 11:42 AM

Oh God yes please do this!

When I first started the game I thought the effect was a nice touch and made the world seem even more gritty. But the moment I started to get halfway competent and started to dart around with dodges and in-your-face combat I noticed it really took up a lot of my concentration effort to filter the actual movement from the random grain.

Pretty please give us this switch! It's nice to turn it on when showing the game to friends, but I really want to turn it off when I want to game seriously.

#4 Avdaedric

Avdaedric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted October 25 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'd really love to see a toggle for film grain myself. I'm not a fan of grainy videos, I like everything to be crisp and purdy. I feel it detracts from the graphic details of the mechs, effects, and landscape.

Just my opinion.

#5 Trolled

Trolled

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 01:25 PM

Agreed, the effect makes no sense for me. Why should I see RF interference from the pilot's perspective_
gotta go slow

#6 Th4nis

Th4nis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted October 25 2012 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of motion blur-film grain effect. Hopefully we can switch off the blur. Why not the grain effect_ I agree with OP: performance would boost and my eyes wouldn't mind the loss of useless particles on screen.

#7 Worggen

Worggen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted October 25 2012 - 03:14 PM

I agree whit you all, that grain film efect its not good for my eyes! So, devs plz remove it!

#8 mechpilot7009

mechpilot7009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 03:44 PM

I don't like it either. You can turn it of with console command "Imagegrain 0" -quotes, but an option would be nice yeah.

#9 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 25 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'd like it to be a toggleable option. I do like it, but my machine's not the strongest and I'm at the point of choosing between decent performance and pretty graphical touches for most games these days.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#10 F15H3R

F15H3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted October 25 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostRaptor_Jesus, on October 25 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

I don't like it either. You can turn it of with console command "Imagegrain 0" -quotes, but an option would be nice yeah.

Good to know.  *jots that down*
Posted Image
ASUS G73 Laptop on to a 36" HDTV | Intel i7 Q720 Quad-Core CPU | ATI Mobility HD5870 GPU | 8GB RAM

#11 NicLovin

NicLovin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 11:04 PM

Although cool at first in l4d, It didnt take long to where I just had to turn off film grain. The floating dust particles in hawken does a vastly better job at setting the tone over the film grain.

But MOST of all, its super annoying to have film grain on top of "floaters". If you have them, you know what I mean, its like double film grain. Not cool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

#12 Shai_tan

Shai_tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:16 AM

Agreed, Filmgrain  needs a player defeatable toggle.
I`m here to chew bubblegum... and kick azz, and I`m all outta azz!

#13 MarkcusD

MarkcusD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:38 PM

Turn it off please or make it an option.

Edited by MarkcusD, October 26 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#14 Furlock

Furlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:49 PM

Oh god, I absolutely LOATHE film grain effects.  NEVER have been able to understand what people like about it.  It's just noise on the screen.

#15 Taihus

Taihus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 07:39 PM

Bump for a filmgrain toggle!
"If the Fate Amenable To Change had been a human, at this point it would have looked down, put one hand over its eyes, and shaken its head."

-Excession, Iain M. Banks

#16 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted October 26 2012 - 08:11 PM

I will have to agree.
In a modern twitch based FPS I don't want to have to look between fuzzy pixels to make out a mech in the distance.
Posted Image

#17 SGRock

SGRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 26 2012 - 08:34 PM

It is odd that the Hawken video's produced by Hawken lack the dark pixilated view that I see in the actual game.
Things could be so crisp and sharp......
Occupation:  Old guy (do it long enough and you get really good at it)

Super cool jpg goes here>

#18 Dij114

Dij114

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 08:43 PM

If they really think that the film grain adds that much to the game (like I do... sorry :( loved Killzone's too) or if it will give players advantages/disadvantages, maybe add a slide bar that reduces or increases the effect_
*Edit* for better grammarz

Edited by Dij114, October 26 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#19 Lexon

Lexon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 10:51 PM

Yes please please fix the film grain its so anoying I thought at first it was a bug till I read around.

Edited by Lexon, October 26 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#20 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 11:21 PM

View PostFurlock, on October 26 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

Oh god, I absolutely LOATHE film grain effects.  NEVER have been able to understand what people like about it.  It's just noise on the screen.
It adds to the visual aim. Looking at the environment and mechs it clearly isn't a crisp, cleanly designed cyberpunk future. Not at all. It is a gritty future where fortunately junk has its use, rust is common and it felt like engineers cared more about function than appearance.

View PostEMEUTIER, on October 26 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

I will have to agree.
In a modern twitch based FPS I don't want to have to look between fuzzy pixels to make out a mech in the distance.
Especially when mechs blend pretty well with the environment, mostly in the cityscapes. When you gotta admit some mechs look like a walking hunk of junk (which is pretty neat in itself), in a ruined city that is coated in such, at first glance you may not notice the Sharpshooter standing next to an antenna tower taking pot shots at your teammates.

View PostDij114, on October 26 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

If they really think that the film grain adds that much to the game (like I do... sorry :( loved Killzone's too) or if it will give players advantages/disadvantages, maybe add a slide bar that reduces or increases the effect_
*Edit* for better grammarz
A slider, and addition of many other actually advanced video settings would make many players a lot happier. Turning down to Low Graphics Quality does the job but keeping certain visual effects is much needed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users