HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

You guys seriously need to address people leaving post match..

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 rekina

rekina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 11:36 AM

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on June 16 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

What features are we adding on the current system_

We've also mentioned in the past that we plan to remove server rollovers when custom servers are a full feature. The "long" delay between matches was a mix of a conscious creative director decision, internal feedback and feedback from specific sources (non-public industry personnel connected to company interests) to address match fatigue concerns but this won't be as much of an issue with rollovers being removed from Quick Match.

That full custom servers I was talking about. I absolutely dislike custom server ideas because it makes you to meet and play with same players most of the time as players will have preferred servers to join over the others. Also customizable servers make the gameplay too inconsistent and it's confusing. People tend to cozy up each other on custom servers because that guy you are playing with is the guy you played with last night. Server mods would abuse their mod power to ban people they don't like for whatever reason, have high ping, too noob or too god mode, and many other reasons.

And please don't tell me I know less about this stuff than any others, including devs. I know less about programming than you, of course, but I do know how custom servers end up being a cozy up league. I started to play online games back in 1998, I have plenty experiences too. Bottom line, you need to suck the server mods ass to keep play on that server. Not to mention that people say "hello xxx" to each other and make jokes with those are familiar, while new faces feel being alienated.

Sure, there could be positive stuff about custom servers, too. But I believe there are more downsides than upsides with custom servers, and I've seen you are adding up customizable servers recently, that's where the frustration came in. These are just my opinions that probably no one would care tho.

Edited by rekina, June 17 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#62 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted June 17 2014 - 11:51 AM

View Postrekina, on June 17 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on June 16 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

What features are we adding on the current system_

We've also mentioned in the past that we plan to remove server rollovers when custom servers are a full feature. The "long" delay between matches was a mix of a conscious creative director decision, internal feedback and feedback from specific sources (non-public industry personnel connected to company interests) to address match fatigue concerns but this won't be as much of an issue with rollovers being removed from Quick Match.

That full custom servers I was talking about. I absolutely dislike custom server ideas because it makes you to meet and play with same players most of the time as players will have preferred servers to join over the others. Also customizable servers make the gameplay too inconsistent and it's confusing. People tend to cozy up each other on custom servers because that guy you are playing with is the guy you played with last night. Server mods would abuse their mod power to ban people they don't like for whatever reason, have high ping, too noob or too god mode, and many other reasons.

And please don't tell me I know less about this stuff than any others, including devs. I know less about programming than you, of course, but I do know how custom servers end up being a cozy up league. I started to play online games back in 1998, I have plenty experiences too. Bottom line, you need to suck the server mods ass to keep play on that server. Not to mention that people say "hello xxx" to each other and make jokes with those are familiar, while new faces feel being alienated.

Sure, there could be positive stuff about custom servers, too. But I believe there are more downsides than upsides with custom servers, and I've seen you are adding up customizable servers recently, that's where the frustration came in. These are just my opinions that probably no one would care tho.

Custom servers would be an addition to regular servers, not a replacement. We don't even know what kind of controls would be present for the admin of a server, but when you think about it, custom servers are meant to be used for personal reasons, not for every Tom, Richard, and Harry to have their way with. If some people want to host public, custom servers, that's great. If some want to play with a limited group of people, they can have private servers with passwords. If you want to join a public custom server and you don't like the way it's run or how everyone else is familiar and you're not, then pick another server. Custom servers aren't supposed to be made for every single person to enjoy, and if ADH does things right, it could be simple for anyone to start their own public custom server.
If they only allow private servers, then that's fine too, so long as everyone has the opportunity to start their own and get set up easily. It doesn't take away from other people if a group of friends or a clan wants some privacy. Plenty of people won't have the means to start a custom server, so there will still be plenty of regular pub matches available.

Edited by nokari, June 17 2014 - 11:52 AM.

Posted Image

#63 rekina

rekina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 11:57 AM

View Postnokari, on June 17 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Custom servers would be an addition to regular servers, not a replacement. We don't even know what kind of controls would be present for the admin of a server, but when you think about it, custom servers are meant to be used for personal reasons, not for every Tom, Richard, and Harry to have their way with. If some people want to host public, custom servers, that's great. If some want to play with a limited group of people, they can have private servers with passwords. If you want to join a public custom server and you don't like the way it's run or how everyone else is familiar and you're not, then pick another server. Custom servers aren't supposed to be made for every single person to enjoy, and if ADH does things right, it could be simple for anyone to start their own public custom server.
If they only allow private servers, then that's fine too, so long as everyone has the opportunity to start their own and get set up easily. It doesn't take away from other people if a group of friends or a clan wants some privacy. Plenty of people won't have the means to start a custom server, so there will still be plenty of regular pub matches available.

I really wish everything will go smooth like you said :D If it is the way devs decided to go, they will go down that way anyways, and I hope everything will be well-executed!

#64 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted June 17 2014 - 12:11 PM

View Postrekina, on June 17 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

View Postnokari, on June 17 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

I really wish everything will go smooth like you said :D If it is the way devs decided to go, they will go down that way anyways, and I hope everything will be well-executed!

You're right in that in can become toxic, but that's dependent upon the community. I think we have a good lot of people and the majority who would open up a server are clans people with a few willing to share a public server or 2 with everyone without any real oversight other than maybe picking what the customizations are.

Posted Image

#65 Valimer

Valimer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 03:34 PM

View Postdajegas, on June 11 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

View PostOnebullit, on June 11 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

How about, after the game ends, we get a voting screen to vote for the next map.
That would keep players in the room, wouldn't it_
I don't think the reason for people leaving is the maps.
People join in a game type to get the daily HC bonus then they leave when they win. Who loses one round usually stays for the next. I could see this happening many times, the winning team almost immediately disappears while the losing team more or less stays intact so the next round starts like 3vs3.
This happens a lot and I have to say I don't mind, everyone needs HCs and this is the best way to get them. In late hours almost everyone has all 4 daily bonuses and that's when servers stay full for a longer time. I had late games that went on and on with more or less the same players and those disconnecting where doing so just to quit and get some sleep.

EDIT: a possible solution could be to have one server per game type that does not give the HC daily bonuses at all. This way you may safely assume that by joining that server you only get people interested in playing that mode consistently.

reasons for leaving post match https://community.pl...ing#entry515651

#66 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 03:32 AM

I don't see anything wrong with letting groups of people build a community around a server. On the contrary, if people enjoy playing with the same people, then let them, why should that be stopped_

Also, if I want to tweak settings like turning off radar or health orbs, I think I should be able to. You call it inconsistent, I call it interesting. It mixes up the gameplay so you aren't playing the same exact game all the time.

Its one of the reasons why games like Halo and CoD4 were so popular on PC, the customization options. If I didn't want to customize anything, I would be a console player.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users