HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

starting mech

Game

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Falcon4Craft

Falcon4Craft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationsomewhere you never find me

Posted June 15 2014 - 10:57 PM

which mech should i buy first or stick with the recruit and upgraded it's weapons_
always ready to fight

#2 LarryLaffer

LarryLaffer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationRussia, Chelyabinsk (GMT +5)

Posted June 15 2014 - 11:22 PM

It purely depends on your playstyle (not only in Hawken, but in other FPS games too). Try some mechs from test-drive before buy something certain; it will save a lot of HC for you ;) . Also there are some guides from Xacius and Saturnine which will help you to choose the most suitable mech for you. If you still are in doubt what mech to choose, then I recommend to buy Assault, because it's great well-rounded mech with slightly better speed and armor than CR-T Recruit.

Whatever mech you choose, I do not recommend you to purchase Rocketeer and Technician as your first mech, because they don't help you to develop necessary basic skills in Hawken.

Good luck, pilot.
WolfyFTW's Mindgamer: Hawken videos - the best combat tutorial ever!
Throw away Air Compressor! Be a man!.

#3 Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDoing wizard stuff...

Posted June 16 2014 - 01:02 AM

Don't use the Recruit. The Assult is better in almost every category, and plays exactly the same. If you enjoy the Recruit, try Berserker or Vanguard. If you want something different, but still good all around: Brawler, Scout, and Raider are all great choices.

Edited by Merl61, June 16 2014 - 01:04 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted June 16 2014 - 04:41 AM

I started with the Reaper myself, that worked out well, I played it to rank 6 then got an assault, which would also be a good starter.

#5 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted June 16 2014 - 05:20 AM

The recruit is an amazing mech. I don't see why everyone hates it so much. Last night I was dominating 3 people, had 13-3-15, and took MVP, Kill, Assist, and KDR leader in a CRT with no items or internals and just and SMC.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#6 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 16 2014 - 05:38 AM

View PostLarryLaffer, on June 15 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

Whatever mech you choose, I do not recommend you to purchase Rocketeer and Technician as your first mech, because they don't help you to develop necessary basic skills in Hawken.
I got the Technician as my first mech and I liked it because I could learn the basics of movement without having to worry about aiming and shooting. Since the movement was the biggest difference from other shooters, I think it helped. Plus the Technician gets a lot of points easily, which is nice for building up HC for a real mech (which I then bought the Assault).

#7 Moreapples

Moreapples

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationHilversum

Posted June 16 2014 - 05:41 AM

View PostOmegaNull, on June 16 2014 - 05:20 AM, said:

The recruit is an amazing mech. I don't see why everyone hates it so much. Last night I was dominating 3 people, had 13-3-15, and took MVP, Kill, Assist, and KDR leader in a CRT with no items or internals and just and SMC.

Yep, it's possible to carry 2k MMR matches with a no-internal, shield-only AR Cr-T.
A fully decked out Salt works better though.

Posted Image

#8 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationA place in physical space

Posted June 16 2014 - 06:24 AM

Get a Bruiser. It's a good as it has the same kind of combat that you are used to from the Recruit and it is easy to pilot.

#9 Odra

Odra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 06:34 AM

Play the CRT and feel your shortcomings in regards to your playstyle, and test drive as many mechs as you can endure before buying (I still say Devs should let you use any mech/weapon in practice mode)

The CRT can participate in many roles, it is how you perform in it that can guide you to your main.

Too slow_ Too squishy_ Can't jump into the fray_ Can't do ranged combat_

Once you know your shortcomings we can suggest a mech that might compensate for them.

P.S. Don't thing of the weapons available for purchase as "upgrades", as you always trade off one strength for another.

Edited by Odra, June 16 2014 - 06:35 AM.

"Rock is overpowered; Paper is fine" - Scissors
Keep this in mind whenever people talk about balance and nerfs.
Posted Image

#10 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted June 16 2014 - 09:29 AM

Assault is cheap and offers a range of direct fire weapons and the TOW, which if used properly (master detonating it midair! Even if you miss, you can still hit :) ) is imho the best secondary weapon in the game. They are however the same weapons the CRT has, but it is also better in nearly every stat than the CRT, and being less squishy when you're starting out is always a plus.

That said, the CRT has the coolest elite armor at Rank 6, and it's the cheapest mech!

Personally I'd recommend the Brawler; it's cheap, it comes with flak (which is an awesome close-range weapon), tons of armor and it's easier to get the hang of Class C while you're new to the game than after you've been darting around in a Class A. Plus at Rank 3 you unlock a pretty decent automatic sniping weapon, suddenly making you a sniping, self-healing turret with a ton of armor.

Basically within three ranks it gives you:

1. Experience of Class C mechs
2. Close-range burst damage capabilities
3. TOW mastery
4. Sniping

Bargain :D

Posted Image

#11 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted June 16 2014 - 09:44 AM

Max out the CRT,its a great (but ugly)mech,till the time you max it out,you will have enough Hc to buy whatever you want + you will be aware of the movement

#12 SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationThe country of tea and crumpets

Posted June 16 2014 - 10:30 AM

Stick with CRT and once you play for an hour use the 500MC you get to buy 'yerself some sweet chassis to replace the ugly chassis :P
Posted Image

#13 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostAde_the_Rare, on June 16 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Assault is cheap and offers a range of direct fire weapons and the TOW, which if used properly (master detonating it midair! Even if you miss, you can still hit :) ) is imho the best secondary weapon in the game. They are however the same weapons the CRT has, but it is also better in nearly every stat than the CRT, and being less squishy when you're starting out is always a plus.

That said, the CRT has the coolest elite armor at Rank 6, and it's the cheapest mech!

Personally I'd recommend the Brawler; it's cheap, it comes with flak (which is an awesome close-range weapon), tons of armor and it's easier to get the hang of Class C while you're new to the game than after you've been darting around in a Class A. Plus at Rank 3 you unlock a pretty decent automatic sniping weapon, suddenly making you a sniping, self-healing turret with a ton of armor.

Basically within three ranks it gives you:

1. Experience of Class C mechs
2. Close-range burst damage capabilities
3. TOW mastery
4. Sniping

Bargain :D
The SA-Hawkins is pretty poor up close and even at a distance. Overall, Flak Brawler is the best overall. Turret mode in the Brawler is useless in combat unless you have your team behind you and a tech on your ass. Also, the Brawler's DPS drops drastically with the SA-Hawkens. If you position yourself well, you can do so much more and have an even greater impact with the flak brawler. Most people aslo want to get close to a C class because they are slow. Hawkins brawler melts when that happens. It doesn't matter who you are.

View PostOdra, on June 16 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

Play the CRT and feel your shortcomings in regards to your playstyle, and test drive as many mechs as you can endure before buying (I still say Devs should let you use any mech/weapon in practice mode)

The CRT can participate in many roles, it is how you perform in it that can guide you to your main.

Too slow_ Too squishy_ Can't jump into the fray_ Can't do ranged combat_

Once you know your shortcomings we can suggest a mech that might compensate for them.

P.S. Don't thing of the weapons available for purchase as "upgrades", as you always trade off one strength for another.

I completely agree. This is how I figured things out as well. Nothing better than finding yourself then getting into a mech that makes sense. Thus Scout is my main. Fast, hard hitting glass cannon.

View PostBrycko, on June 16 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

Get a Bruiser. It's a good as it has the same kind of combat that you are used to from the Recruit and it is easy to pilot.

Bruiser is a poor choice and is easy mode. Even then, few really know how to master it. Yes, hellfires are easy to use, but they are extremely difficult to completely master. It is a great support mech. Personally, if I was the OP, I want to first know what I like to do and how do I play before choosing something.

Personally, the best sustained is the SMC. Not nearly as powerful as the Assault or the Vulcan, but has much lower heat gen, higher fire rate, (slightly less DPS), but you can keep that sucker going. Then, land a few tows and people drop like flies.

Edited by OmegaNull, June 16 2014 - 02:45 PM.

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

#14 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 16 2014 - 06:32 PM

A class: Berzerker, Reaper (or Infiltrator), *Scout*
B class: CRT, Assault, *Predator*
C class: Brawler, Vanguard, *Grenadier*
Stay away from the G2 models.
This would probably be a fairly good progression in skills development, moving from left to right in each class. I don't have a Pred, and rarely play the Gren or Scout lately, but mostly all these mechs I've listed are a hoot to pilot!
YMMV. Enjoy!
O

btw: if the Bruiser seems tempting, install Failsafe, and deflectors, and concentrate on close quarters combat with the Vulcan-D while dumb-firing (no lockon) your hellfires. use the skills you learned dodging and punching with the CRT, and you suddenly have a CRT that simultaneously shoots 6 TOWS in CQC! Tears-ass under the AA!
otherwise, avoid the Bruiser (and the Rocketeer) like rotting death.

Edited by EM1O, June 16 2014 - 06:47 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#15 Falcon4Craft

Falcon4Craft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 06:46 AM

thank you all for helping me!
i've bought rapr and assault and i'm liking them both
always ready to fight

#16 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 09:09 AM

Reaper is a good mech

Posted Image

#17 BigLag

BigLag

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 10:03 PM

Slug Reaper is my go-to mech for tuff matches. For Peekaboo fighting found it quite effective, good mobility, and can stand off at distance.

Just have to get good with rail gun fighting style.

Reaper is a solid mech.

#18 Falcon4Craft

Falcon4Craft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 01:00 AM

reaper is nice for long range and quick combat.
and assault is basicly an upgrade for the recruit (so mid range dps)
and i'm now saving for tech or vanguard
always ready to fight

#19 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 04:14 AM

Assault is still awesome.

Posted Image

#20 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 19 2014 - 05:21 AM

View PostOmegaNull, on June 19 2014 - 04:14 AM, said:

Assault is still awesome.
Yep, the Assault is a staple in any team.

Edited by mmm_yep, June 19 2014 - 05:23 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users