HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Infiltrator with heat cannon, no more flak. Opinions_

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 NuclearXmas

NuclearXmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Whatever

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:50 AM

I really dig the heat cannon with the infiltrator. Please don't ruin this for me.
oh..uh..hi

#62 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 12:17 PM

It pains me to say it, because I have fallen in love with the HEAT+Grenade launcher combo but it might be too powerful. More than once in siege mode I have had more kills than everyone else on the other team combined. I feel infiltrator is best played by walking out of cover, throwing out all your damage then dashing back and HEAT cannon works wonders for this.

Reload speed doesn't matter for this style of play. The HEAT cannon has the same damage as the Flak though shares a damage type with the grenade launcher, meaning you can stack explosive damage better. And, the HEAT cannon is point-accurate so you will land all of the damage, unlike having you shotgun pellets spread out. With the massive splash radius, you should almost never miss too. Having to charge for the 1 second means you also never overheat.

With the HEAT cannon, I can effectively engage at all ranges, even trading shots with snipers. I don't have to get so close/in harms way, to the point I can siege control points with grenades AND cannon fire, moving in to cap once everyone is damaged. Close range doesn't suffer at all in my opinion, in fact I think HEAT is even stronger than Flak in close-range outside of a few specific scenarios.

Edit: Please don't take this combo away from me. I don't care if it's OP, it's so much damn fun to play.

Edited by NotKjell, October 29 2012 - 12:19 PM.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#63 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 29 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

View PostSumrs, on October 29 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

What source this information from_
I can see in game description 170 for GL, and 185 for TOW.

View PostPiVoR, on October 29 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

TOW is definitely not 185, it feels stronger than from alpha.
Straight from the config files

[HawkenGame.R_Proj_GrenadeLauncher]
SpeedDefault=12000
MinSpeedDefault=12000.0
MaxSpeedDefault=12000.0
DamageDefault=245.0
DamageRadiusDefault=750
Bounciness=0.4
CooldownTime=1.0
ExplodeTime=9.75
ProximityDistance=250.0
ExplosionCameraShakeRadius=2200

[HawkenGame.R_Proj_Rocket]
SpeedDefault=2500.0
MaxSpeedDefault=25000.0
AccelRateDefault=2000
DamageDefault=225.0
DamageRadiusDefault=950.0
ExplosionCameraShakeRadius=2200.0

is this still true_ I remember this from alpha, but when I looked for the weapon .ini files for beta I couldn't find them, at least not in the same place. According to in-game stats the Tow is 180 and the GL 170, and I am more prone to believing these stats as flak for example is listed as 156, the exact damage from alpha. Things like firing rate, damage from listed weapons seems to very closely match the old .ini files now, and it would make sense for weapon stats to be tweaked from alpha to beta.

Also, if the primary/secondary/item stat .ini files still exist for you, could you check the date the files were created_ I installed hawken beta in a new folder and can't find those files in the same place. Maybe if you installed the beta in the same folder, it would overwrite all needed files but leave the old weapon .ini files.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#64 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 29 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostNotKjell, on October 29 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 29 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

View PostSumrs, on October 29 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

What source this information from_
I can see in game description 170 for GL, and 185 for TOW.

View PostPiVoR, on October 29 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

TOW is definitely not 185, it feels stronger than from alpha.
Straight from the config files

[HawkenGame.R_Proj_GrenadeLauncher]
SpeedDefault=12000
MinSpeedDefault=12000.0
MaxSpeedDefault=12000.0
DamageDefault=245.0
DamageRadiusDefault=750
Bounciness=0.4
CooldownTime=1.0
ExplodeTime=9.75
ProximityDistance=250.0
ExplosionCameraShakeRadius=2200

[HawkenGame.R_Proj_Rocket]
SpeedDefault=2500.0
MaxSpeedDefault=25000.0
AccelRateDefault=2000
DamageDefault=225.0
DamageRadiusDefault=950.0
ExplosionCameraShakeRadius=2200.0

is this still true_ I remember this from alpha, but when I looked for the weapon .ini files for beta I couldn't find them, at least not in the same place. According to in-game stats the Tow is 180 and the GL 170, and I am more prone to believing these stats as flak for example is listed as 156, the exact damage from alpha. Things like firing rate, damage from listed weapons seems to very closely match the old .ini files now, and it would make sense for weapon stats to be tweaked from alpha to beta.

Also, if the primary/secondary/item stat .ini files still exist for you, could you check the date the files were created_ I installed hawken beta in a new folder and can't find those files in the same place. Maybe if you installed the beta in the same folder, it would overwrite all needed files but leave the old weapon .ini files.
It's possible.
I thought I removed all Hawken directories before I installed the CB, but it looks like the last modified date was Oct. 5th, being created in Sept.
You're probably right.

Either way I still feel the GL has an advantage over the TOW due to utility and a flat projectile speed rate.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#65 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 29 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

It's possible.
I thought I removed all Hawken directories before I installed the CB, but it looks like the last modified date was Oct. 5th, being created in Sept.
You're probably right.

Either way I still feel the GL has an advantage over the TOW due to utility and a flat projectile speed rate.

Fair enough. And yes, I do find the GL better than the TOW due to being soooo versatile. Assuming these in-game stats are true, I like the change where TOW now hits harder than GL in return for lacking that versatility. I also like the overall reduction in how hard TOW and GL hit, it makes fights end not so fast.

One thing to keep in mind though, is we don't know how levels effect weapons yet. Who knows, maybe a lvl 3 GL hits just as hard as it did in alpha_

Posted Image

#66 GunsnButter

GunsnButter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationMS, USA

Posted October 29 2012 - 08:39 PM

Really disliking the infiltrator right now. I suck with heat management so the assault rifle is a pain, and I can't aim the heat cannon worth a fuzzy bunny. I suppose it might get nastier assuming I ever get good with the heat...

BTW... you can still charge a heat cannon while cloaked. IE you have a near insta-kill combo against other a-classes if they don't dodge the heat + GL + HE grenade :D

#67 Sumrs

Sumrs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 08:58 PM

I agree about infiltrator, but still strongly sure that GL becomes slower in projectile speed.
And it hard to tell that GL deals more damage than TOW, after landing a few direct hits by both weapons. Probably not.
Personally I'm worried more about speed, rather than damage, because projectile speed determines the weapon effectiveness a lot.

#68 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 09:22 PM

The GL has a constant firing speed, while the TOW missile accelerates. So the GL starts faster, but the TOW becomes faster after a second or so. This is at least guaranteed true without dispute from our old information.

Posted Image

#69 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:40 PM

Grenade Launcher damage was reduced significantly, the in-game stats should be accurate on that.  To compensate, it's refire rate was sped up, from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.  AFAIK projectile speed wasn't changed, but I could be wrong about that.  It's less devastating when you hit now but it plays better and I really like the faster reload.  TOW damage went down a little bit I think, but projectile speed is faster as well as reload speed by half a second. Don't know all the exact numbers.

#70 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:42 AM

View PostDeuy, on October 29 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

Grenade Launcher damage was reduced significantly, the in-game stats should be accurate on that.  To compensate, it's refire rate was sped up, from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.  AFAIK projectile speed wasn't changed, but I could be wrong about that.  It's less devastating when you hit now but it plays better and I really like the faster reload.  TOW damage went down a little bit I think, but projectile speed is faster as well as reload speed by half a second. Don't know all the exact numbers.
Played around with the TOW a bit tonight (been playing INF almost entirely during this beta period) to get a better feel for it's current iteration.
Whatever was done really did help bring them to more or less the same level of effectiveness.
But they now play a fair bit different (as different as GLs and RLs can be) and require some adjustments to how to use each.
TOW is more about picking the right moment to fire for devastating damage, while the GL allows you to spam it a bit to help move and push enemies where you want them.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#71 noten

noten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:43 AM

They're good changes, the GL and TOW feel much more balanced now.

Now if only the hellfire missiles could get some love lol.

#72 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:02 AM

View PostGunsnButter, on October 29 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

Really disliking the infiltrator right now. I suck with heat management so the assault rifle is a pain, and I can't aim the heat cannon worth a fuzzy bunny. I suppose it might get nastier assuming I ever get good with the heat...
Trust me, good heat cannon shots are both effective and highly exhilarating
Nothing like destroying someone in CQC and then using your HEAT cannon to disrupt some sniping and maybe snag a kill there too
Also, no leading is required on any C class silly enough to go Turret Mode within LOS. Best targets ever :P
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#73 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:08 AM

It would be cool if devs finally put some notes with weapon changes.
IMO trading damage for faster firing rate makes weapon much easier to use, less punish for missed shots and since GL can act as mine you can now spam it easier.

#74 noten

noten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:22 AM

GL grenades have really short fuses now and also limited to 1 grenade out compared to the alpha ver, so it can't really be used as a minelayer like in alpha, the EOC has taken the lead in that role now.

#75 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:12 AM

Thanks, I think it's really nice to get weapon info like this. I'd guess weapon .ini info is probably hidden now for reasons, but would it be possible to get accurate information_ I always like to know this sort of stuff, but often you have to rely on inaccurate or incomplete wikis, where all information has to be figured out from in-game testing. It's nicer to just get the accurate information from the devs, as it's not like we won't find out eventually.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users