HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to deal with things going over my head_

Game

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ScarletThirteen

ScarletThirteen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 09:41 PM

So I regularly play with my IRL buddies on Hawken every weekend. For the past weeks, I've been hovering in the low-1800 MMR bracket while my buddies, "Kohaku" (a 'zerker main) and "Hisui" (currently running a Reaper) are 2000+ and 1950+ respectively. I switched over to a Raider from 'zerker to 1) git gud with burst weapons, and 2) I have this nagging compulsion to get in someone's face without thinking of an escape plan.

There was this one time "Kohaku" and I ended up on opposite teams. Even when I got the jump, Kohaku would just get into my face... and then jump over me, pop the F, shove a TOW rocket and some AR bullets up my rear, and suddenly I end up being scrap metal. It didn't matter if Kohaku had full health (I missed all my shots) or less than 10% (much charged Bolt, so Corsair-MIRV, wow), Kohaku would destroy me from 100% health. Every. Single. Time.

Kohaku is not the only pilot who has wrecked my face using this very simple tactic. I've lost to Preds, Incins, other Raiders, Fredsaults, Infies, Scouts, Reapers, Sharpies, and even Technicians have finished me off doing this. It's almost as if they look at my callsign and say, "Oh, Scarlet 13's attacking me_ Time to jump over him and make his Raider look like a retarded cow on a seizure!"

And it's not like they just jump straight over me and land perfectly behind me. Oh no. Some air-dodge over me, some air 180 as they land, some opt for the stomp, some dump a Detonator just as they're passing by me, the list goes on.

I know, this sounds retarded to all of you, 2000+ MMR community with competitive scrim and league experience.

Step into my shoes for a few seconds. Kohaku, in her 'zerker, is dashing and dodging madly towards you. She's at 20% health, and has just jumped up into the air. What do you do_
Leader of the non-existent Scarlet Squadron.
You can't treat a mech like a human being. A MECH NEEDS LOVE!
Raider-chan! Where have you been all my life!_  <3

#2 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted August 03 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostScarletThirteen, on August 03 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

Step into my shoes for a few seconds. Kohaku, in her 'zerker, is dashing and dodging madly towards you. She's at 20% health, and has just jumped up into the air. What do you do_

Option 1.  I boost-jump forward, air dodge midair and turn around.  The zerker is now in front of me and not too far away, yet far enough to be easier to hit.

Option 2.  I just move forward a bit, turning a little, dodge whenever.  I just try to get some distance and not get hit.  Some temporary cover might be good too.  I shortly look at my radar to find her while I turn around.  Same result as above...

If the zerker has used its ability, I take shelter, unless they're crazy enough to knock on my door while they have 20% HP.

If you struggle hitting with charged flak, I would recommend using the reflak ...  it's really a fine weapon.

I switched over to a Raider from 'zerker to 1) git gud with burst weapons, and 2) I have this nagging compulsion to get in someone's face without thinking of an escape plan.
Spreading your unconditional flak-love in hugging range is the best plan!  I approve!

Edit : I might have been in dreamland while thinking of all the above.  Maybe the reality is that I just dodge on the right, calmly turn around, and usually find them...  then they might air dodge away, I find them again, and by that time I think they drop on the floor.

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, August 03 2014 - 10:15 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted August 03 2014 - 10:38 PM

Option 1 above is what I would do, or the following:

Kill her. 1 burst from your fuzzy bunny will destroy a 20% HP zerker. So issue one is improving your aim. Not trying to be mean here, this is also my biggest weakness!

In the mean time, what I do is boost under them for a distance that you're gonna have to feel out yourself, then 180 and bring up your weapons.

Alternatively, drop a shield and wait for her to enter it. Then burst her in the face. See, because of how mechs are designed, they are actually within a shield bubble before they can see they are. This gives you a split second where they won't fire and you can. Fire at that moment, then dodge out.

#4 RozerMahbub_

RozerMahbub_

fishy scout

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationTorino,To-10125 ,italy

Posted August 04 2014 - 01:27 AM

simple , shield
Posted Image

Posted Image

I DON'T CARE

i want to tell you a true story , once upon a time everyone was a perfect pure NOOB ^_^

#5 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 04 2014 - 07:12 AM

If you can force him to pop his ability predictably just hit up some cover and start the fight again once it is down. Zerker ability gives him massive burst potential so you are better off just repositioning and using his predictable nature against him.

Posted Image

#6 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted August 04 2014 - 07:16 AM

Being a shrubby 17xx pilot, one of two things would happen. Either I track the zerg rusher, and, since I'm probably in my Assault, send a tow their way. Or, I panic-shoot everything I've got in the general direction of where I think you might have been. That being said, it would pretty strongly depend on the setting, how much armor I've got, and whether or not there's a Barrage headed my way. But, ya know, I tried. :P

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#7 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 04 2014 - 08:13 AM

drop a shield, run into it, turn around, start firing. either you'll catch 'em chasing you in, or shield will pop and you'll face smack 'em. Boom.
this works on the 1500/1600 level with flak and HEAT scout. don't know about up in Gawdz Country...  :)

edit: hmmmmm.  or, Shift+S

Edited by EM1O, August 04 2014 - 08:14 AM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#8 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 08:34 AM

Dodge to the side. Slightly over 90 degree turn to face her. Resume.

Jump backward and body block her midair, releasing both your burst weapons in her face (I swear this isn't sexual) and absorbing her TOW if she shoots it (she'll get much of the damage too, and she's got less health.) This one requires some better reflexes, as the zerker has a very high airspeed.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, August 04 2014 - 11:17 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 09:07 AM

So I regularly play with my IRL buddies on Hawken every weekend. For the past weeks, I've been hovering in the low-1800 MMR bracket while my buddies, "Kohaku" (a 'zerker main) and "Hisui" (currently running a Reaper) are 2000+ and 1950+ respectively. I switched over to a Raider from 'zerker to 1) git gud with burst weapons, and 2) I have this nagging compulsion to get in someone's face without thinking of an escape plan.

There was this one time "Kohaku" and I ended up on opposite teams. Even when I got the jump, Kohaku would just get into my face... and then jump over me, pop the F, shove a TOW rocket and some AR bullets up my rear, and suddenly I end up being scrap metal. It didn't matter if Kohaku had full health (I missed all my shots) or less than 10% (much charged Bolt, so Corsair-MIRV, wow), Kohaku would destroy me from 100% health. Every. Single. Time.

Kohaku is not the only pilot who has wrecked my face using this very simple tactic. I've lost to Preds, Incins, other Raiders, Fredsaults, Infies, Scouts, Reapers, Sharpies, and even Technicians have finished me off doing this. It's almost as if they look at my callsign and say, "Oh, Scarlet 13's attacking me_ Time to jump over him and make his Raider look like a retarded cow on a seizure!"

And it's not like they just jump straight over me and land perfectly behind me. Oh no. Some air-dodge over me, some air 180 as they land, some opt for the stomp, some dump a Detonator just as they're passing by me, the list goes on.

I know, this sounds retarded to all of you, 2000+ MMR community with competitive scrim and league experience.

This is what stood out for me, girl on the interwebs_ wwhhhhaaatt__ Impossiblees.

Anyways the jump over the head spin shoot their back works on some, doesnt work on some.  This is really as some have already stated about aim, your in a raider you hit the mirv and a charged bolt on an A class and now they are 2/3 dead and have like 100 hps left and will run to find cover.  The other thing is positioning. they come running out you, boost forward at angle turn 90 degrees side dodge turn other 90 degrees and now your out of straight line of sight with them and your facing them again so you both have to reposition aim again so your on equal footing again.  If he pops his ability you see those red wings, run and hide behind cover.

Dont worry about being stuck around 1800 to 1900 mmr for a while, that seems to be a hurdle to get over, the next hurdle will fall around 2200 which im currently grinding against trying to get over that.

Also btw if you know they are going over your head, you can do a shift +s spin as well and be facing them just as fast.  A lot of hawken is about positioning.  Once you get to the 2000 plus rank you start learning how much more so this is, cause you start facing the 2500's which always seem to ahve the upper hand in positioning.

So if you know they are going to fly over your head, learn the distance that it takes for him to be able to do this versus the weapon type your using versus his weapon type and when your able to make all these quick calculations in your head to determine how far away you should be from your enemy to maintain optimal damage while negating his abilities, well then welcome to the new world of hawken :).

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#10 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 04 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostSkitzo1d, on August 04 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

This is what stood out for me, girl on the interwebs_ wwhhhhaaatt__ Impossiblees.

There's a few. Just wait 'til LONEDEADWOLF gets ahold of you. she'll introduce you to the 'hell' in hellfires.
:)

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#11 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted August 04 2014 - 11:35 PM

View Postticklemyiguana, on August 04 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

Dodge to the side. Slightly over 90 degree turn to face her. Resume.

Jump backward and body block her midair, releasing BOTH your burst weapons in her face...

Both_ Man, talk about firepower.

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#12 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:09 AM

View PostEM1O, on August 04 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

View PostSkitzo1d, on August 04 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

There's a few. Just wait 'til LONEDEADWOLF gets ahold of you. she'll introduce you to the 'hell' in hellfires.
:)

oooooh I am soooooooo scared *shakes*.  No but seriously if its rockateer not too afraid they are annoying yes and at a distance they might finish you off when you least expect it but overall, just get up close on them with an A frame and they twitch trying to find you more than a person having a seizure.  Now a bruiser I hate more cuase you cant get close with that vulcan so you have to keep distance and just ping them and dodge behind cover but that allows them time to heal up so they are a bit tougher.

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#13 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted August 07 2014 - 08:49 PM

Boost forward and get under said pilot
You can also do a 180 dodge turn while going under them (boost foward and turn at the same then dodge while still turning and looking up.). This will do 3 things:

1) Push you under them to their blind spot
2) Turn you around to face the blind spot
3) Line you up for an attack.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#14 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 08 2014 - 07:46 PM

View PostOmegaNull, on August 07 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

Boost forward and get under said pilot
You can also do a 180 dodge turn while going under them (boost foward and turn at the same then dodge while still turning and looking up.). This will do 3 things:

1) Push you under them to their blind spot
2) Turn you around to face the blind spot
3) Line you up for an attack.
This. ^^^
Gets the jump on flying annoyances who don't expect you to make such a ballsy move. If you do this, it causes them to overshoot you and generally they're left wondering where you are. Most people who do such an aggressive move generally expect you to retreat in response, not advance straight under them. As you boost forward, look up slightly so when you turn around you'll catch them as they land. I use it a lot with a fairly high success rate.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users