HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Community Event: Wreckage Looters

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted August 12 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on August 12 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Do you really think the ones recently "discovered" will remain accessible for future Hawken pilots_
Nope. They'll be patched out.

Good.  As stated earlier, the point of these events isn't to limit the vertical aspect of Hawken, but is more about fixing broken parts of maps that allow you to access seriously broken areas (aka map exploits).

You're not alone in wanting a more open terrain and less restrictive areas, but there is a big difference between reasonably accessible places like the first image, and ridiculously broken locations like the second image.

Posted Image
Posted Image

A lot of the problems with maps is how previously existing problems have had band-aid fixes applied to them, which can block off perfectly reasonable areas of the maps while preventing an exploit.  The invisible ceiling in Prosk is a good example of this.

Really what it comes down to is cleaning up maps by blocking off exploitable areas while leaving the "fair" stuff behind to play on.  Obviously that threshold is a bit fuzzy in a class-based FPS, but it's been treated conservatively for a good reason.
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#102 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 12:53 AM

View PostThirdEyE, on August 12 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

View PostSpliff_Craven, on August 12 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Do you really think the ones recently "discovered" will remain accessible for future Hawken pilots_
Nope. They'll be patched out.

Good.  As stated earlier, the point of these events isn't to limit the vertical aspect of Hawken, but is more about fixing broken parts of maps that allow you to access seriously broken areas (aka map exploits).

You're not alone in wanting a more open terrain and less restrictive areas, but there is a big difference between reasonably accessible places like the first image, and ridiculously broken locations like the second image.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A lot of the problems with maps is how previously existing problems have had band-aid fixes applied to them, which can block off perfectly reasonable areas of the maps while preventing an exploit.  The invisible ceiling in Prosk is a good example of this.

Really what it comes down to is cleaning up maps by blocking off exploitable areas while leaving the "fair" stuff behind to play on.  Obviously that threshold is a bit fuzzy in a class-based FPS, but it's been treated conservatively for a good reason.

Third Eye you demonstrate an excellent insight.
I can't say the same for people that take enjoyment out of derailing topics with issues of playstyle and team work. My tip my hat to you.

Maps like Uptown and Prosk are fantastic maps to explore. I like the first photo as well and the second is an agreed exploit.

My problem is maps like Frontline, Facility, Origin and Bazaar. There is no reason to block you off the rocks or tops of buildings.

Fix the perimeters and make the infield fair game.

If people don't like snipers sniping. Fix VOIP and make appropriate direction as a team.
I'd rather not fight with threadkillers and move in a more progressive and productive manner.

I really want Hawken to succeed.

{General address}

The way see it the the people that don't like snipers aren't really good players themselves which is why they find snipers in high spots so irritating.
I saw an SS on Origin deny an enemy team. He had few kills and assists but did a great job harassing the enemy team. So much so they made the enemy keep off the AA and constantly denied them capture of it. As a result of my area denial we won the map. We were all advanced players. They also had players on high ground but not as skilled at harassing. it took one of their teammates to use his Infiltrator to unroot our SS.
I assure you that infiltrator was quite happy with that kill as was his team.

The point I'm trying to illustrate it made for competitive play and provided a challenge that needed to be overcome. The games were intense and tight.
This is when Hawken was growing and players were having great games{alpha and closed beta all pre-ascension}.
Since that time, the Developers have catered to whiners and crybabies of the high ground and Hawken as a Whole has suffered for it.

I think it's time to go the other way and I know I'm not alone.

If these "games and challenges" can bring us back to Hawkens former glory I'm all for it.
I haven't been too fond as to how information collected has been used so far. It's been used to the deteriment of this great game.

#103 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 13 2014 - 01:46 AM

Spliff, even if every single way out of maps that was posted in my events gets blocked by the devs, I know of at least one more way out of Bazaar, at least three more ways out of Front Line, and at least one more way out of Wreckage. There will be fewer ways out, but the count is not going to be zero, so that you can explore maps to your heart's content.

Edited by DerMax, August 13 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#104 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostDerMax, on August 13 2014 - 01:46 AM, said:

Spliff, even if every single way out of maps that was posted in my events gets blocked by the devs, I know of at least one more way out of Bazaar, at least three more ways out of Front Line, and at least one more way out of Wreckage. There will be fewer ways out, but the count is not going to be zero, so that you can explore maps to your heart's content.

Until the inevitable patch out...

I would really like to see Hawken move in a more productive direction. Your events can do it.
Of this you have my thanks.
But I don't feel that the dev's are doing enough to make the game palatable to the masses that have come and gone.

Your events are great for players that are still here. It doesn't draw in any new ones.
Perhaps you could come up with an event to do exactly that_ Bring in the noobies!

#105 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted August 13 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm kinda wondering how would such event look like.. because I doubt noobs are gonna come and play Hawken just because of some event and I can't imagine event where veterans won't have an advantage over newbs.
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#106 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 13 2014 - 01:57 PM

View PostZaxik, on August 13 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

I'm kinda wondering how would such event look like.. because I doubt noobs are gonna come and play Hawken just because of some event and I can't imagine event where veterans won't have an advantage over newbs.

That, plus more than 95% of all new players don't visit the forums at all.

#107 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted August 13 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on August 13 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

The way see it the the people that don't like snipers aren't really good players themselves which is why they find snipers in high spots so irritating.
Care to back that statement up_

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#108 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 13 2014 - 11:08 PM

[cue cacophonous choir of crickets]

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users