HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Assists and mmr

Game

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lyeth1

Lyeth1

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 04:28 PM

Trying to determine what factors are considered in game balancing, and what makes up a players mmr_

#2 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 04:51 PM

This is an ugly topic. The short answer is most people don't know. It is based on a certain system, that I've looked at but never fully read, much less understood.

The best explanation I have is that MMR is scrimbot's best guess at your skill level. Every time you play, it takes some factors, and reevaluates that guess. These factors as far as I know do not actually include the number of deaths in a game, though it does consider who is killing you. It also considers your score per unit of time- so yes, assists would be factored into that calculation.

However, there's little need to worry about it. Matchmaking does as good a job as it really can without detailed profiles of people's purpose when they play (when I teach or host events, my MMR goes down) or more players. (big factor).

So, don't worry about it too much, keep trying out different mechs and just focus on getting better at the game.

Also, in the future, this sort of thread probably belongs in the general discussion forum. Not a huge deal, but it just helps maintain what organization there is in the forums.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, August 18 2014 - 04:52 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationJoono Araska

Posted August 18 2014 - 05:15 PM

One thing that's been said to lower mmr is constantly switching mechs in a match. I can say from my bad habit of doing so up to 8 times, my mmr began to go down by 10 per hour regardless of how well I did. since I kicked this habit a few days ago my mmr has began to level out a little and is no longer so random in it's spikes

#4 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 05:38 PM

My MMR has stayed at 2000 or under for a while now because I've been trying to get 500 kills with all the mechs. No idea what it'll shoot back up to once I start using my lovely heat infil again, but that won't be for a long time.
Posted Image

#5 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted August 18 2014 - 06:25 PM

This has actually been fairly clearly explained by Ashfire several times, but unfortunately the forums are borked right now so good luck finding any topics where he did.

The gist is that it's an algorithm and there's a lot of factors at play, but it's mainly based on your performance per match, for how long you're in a match, and even slightly about how often you play in general. It's a pretty complicated algorithm and the accuracy of its data is dependent on lots of input, which means lots of playing.

Switching mechs won't affect your MMR directly. My guess is whoever said that to you misunderstands switching only has an affect based on how well you perform with different mechs and that there is no actual weighting given to different mechs.

Posted Image

#6 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 06:39 PM

View Postnokari, on August 18 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

Switching mechs won't affect your MMR directly. My guess is whoever said that to you misunderstands switching only has an affect based on how well you perform with different mechs and that there is no actual weighting given to different mechs.

I don't think either of us thought that. It's pretty clear that switching mechs often decreases performance, hence lowering mmr.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users