HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Assault mechs are still WAY TOO OP.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Voidgazer

Voidgazer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:00 PM

This is a known issue since Alpha.

Assault mechs have much higher mobility AND damage output than the heavies. And a little additional health for heavy mechs is useless, since any weapon eats through it in a split second.

The turret mode for heavy mechs is laughably weak. It slows you to a crawl, but the improved defensive capabilties aren't noticeable at all.

#2 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm pretty sure this has been known and well aware with the devs. Combining great mobility and firepower goes a long way, but at least you can't infinitely dodge so long as you have Fuel. I see more nerfs in the future, but at least they do their job well unlike some other mechs. I think before we nerf though, we make the others capable of doing their job.

The Turret mode in general for the heavy mechs are just embarassing in general. It would  of been a lot better if the ability did not share the same Armor pool as the mech. It would actually encourage other mechs to flank it or aim for the weak/exposed points for once then. Sacrificing mobility to be a turtle without a shell that actually protects you is pretty pointless. I've never really used the ability when I play with heavies.

Edited by IceTonic, October 26 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#3 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationDorcia

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:04 PM

lock pls

#4 Robsbot

Robsbot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:14 PM

I just got my first few games in and this was my general impression. I was playing a rocketeer and I just thought I was doing laughably bad. Switched an assault and did substantially better. I did OK with the sharpshooter but the assault just seemed to be able to take on everything with little problem and had good damage output from short to medium-long range. For a medium the Assault just has incredible mobility.

#5 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:21 PM

I think they're OP only on deathmatch (1 on 1). Other modes shouldn't be that bad.
Desert Fox

#6 PhoenixHawk

PhoenixHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:26 PM

The Assault from Alpha and the Assault from Beta are two entirely different mechs. The name got switched to a different class. It's not even proper to compare the two.

#7 Luftwaffle

Luftwaffle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNanaimo, Canada

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:35 PM

Yes. Please buff brawlers or nerf assaults.
Make it easier for me.

/sarcasm.

Attached File  HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping 2012-10-26 15-54-26-48.jpg   50.97K   261 downloads

Edited by Luftwaffle, October 26 2012 - 03:36 PM.

If you can't stand the HEAT, stay out of the map.

#8 Toryne

Toryne

Ghost of Crion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:50 PM

/sigh i remember these....

#9 quantum36

quantum36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:52 PM

It seems that some of you have forgotten. rule #1 and rule#2 regarding the alpha.

RULE#1. YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE ALPHA

RULE#2 YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE ALPHA

#10 Rotaken

Rotaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationMilk cartoon

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:58 PM

View Postz121231211, on October 26 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

I think they're OP only on deathmatch (1 on 1). Other modes shouldn't be that bad.

If you're good enough you can take on 3-4 enemies with assault. It's really vunerable to sabot and slug rifles though.

#11 SilentCid

SilentCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:02 PM

I've been playing the sniper and been tearing it up.

Posted Image

#12 Robsbot

Robsbot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostLuftwaffle, on October 26 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Make it easier for me.

/sarcasm.

Attachment HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping 2012-10-26 15-54-26-48.jpg

That is completely anecdotal evidence, but impressive nonetheless. I have yet to see a brawler in a game.

Edited by Robsbot, October 26 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#13 CharlieCroker

CharlieCroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:03 PM

I've seen this thread a many times before, they aren't op at all. I've used assault and heavy pre-beta and I must say, the new assault is much more balanced to limit it's mobility. Oh and a little health goes a long way man, try picking up health orbs that drop from players in non assault maps.

Posted Image

#14 Dao2SKP

Dao2SKP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:05 PM

I'm disappointed with the fortified mode, I was actually shocked to see it's still there. And where's the vulcan_ Heavies could definetely tear up assaults fine, but I don't think so anymore.

edit: Also I know it's basically the same thing but just played my first match of the closed beta with a berserker and ran 32/5 against a sea of assaults. So pretty happy with that, saw only alt on brawler was hawkins and steered well clear :| I miss the old special bar, the new one is a lot less obvious.

Edited by Dao2SKP, October 26 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#15 SilentCid

SilentCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostCharlieCroker, on October 26 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

I've seen this thread a many times before, they aren't op at all. I've used assault and heavy pre-beta and I must say, the new assault is much more balanced to limit it's mobility. Oh and a little health goes a long way man, try picking up health orbs that drop from players in non assault maps.

Non-assault maps does that mean siege type games_ The only one I haven't played yet that drops orbs.

Posted Image

#16 CharlieCroker

CharlieCroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostSilentCid, on October 26 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

View PostCharlieCroker, on October 26 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Non-assault maps does that mean siege type games_ The only one I haven't played yet that drops orbs.

I've been playing too much video games recently, my brain is mush now so I dunno.

Posted Image

#17 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:23 PM

Funny, I seem to recall people calling half the mechs OP, and people moved from one to the other as they realized that there were actual advantages and disadvantages to each one
..which doesn't sound like total agreement on a class that is different in this test anyway

View PostVoidgazer, on October 26 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

The turret mode for heavy mechs is laughably weak. It slows you to a crawl, but the improved defensive capabilties aren't noticeable at all.
This is pretty much the only bit I agree with you on. The turret mode needs to be severely altered/traded out for something less debilitating
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#18 Luftwaffle

Luftwaffle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNanaimo, Canada

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostRobsbot, on October 26 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

View PostLuftwaffle, on October 26 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Make it easier for me.

/sarcasm.

Attachment HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping 2012-10-26 15-54-26-48.jpg

That is completely anecdotal evidence, but impressive nonetheless. I have yet to see a brawler in a game.
Precisely my point! It's day 1, and the servers are filled with newbies. Good players by which to judge gameplay by are incredibly rare! It's not like I'm trying to faceroll, either. I encourage ganging by donning the most noticeable paint out there.

The turret mode has some uses, imo... it's a very situational abilitiy, though. I just wish I could see my health while in turret mode. It's hard to judge how useful it is when you can't see your health.
If you can't stand the HEAT, stay out of the map.

#19 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostLuftwaffle, on October 26 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

t's a very situational abilitiy
When pretty much no other ability is
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#20 Jagdwyre

Jagdwyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostBeemann, on October 26 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostLuftwaffle, on October 26 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

t's a very situational abilitiy
When pretty much no other ability is
That is a bit unfair, virtually every ability is situational, even damage increases. However, the big difference between C class mech abilities and both A and B class abilities(at least currently in the beta) is the fact that the C class abilities are the only abilities that actually have a downside when used. One could argue because of this those abilities need to be more significant than the current A and B class abilities, which of course has been implied throughout the thread.

Or on the flip side, give almost all abilities a downside. For example damage increases all incur a damage increase(albeit smaller than the damage output increase) upon the user himself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users