HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Assault mechs are still WAY TOO OP.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:41 AM

Either the Rocketeer got a buff, or I'm just learning how to play it right, because I'm starting to top the scoreboard with it. Rocketeer is OP. Nerf the Rocketeer.

Edited by HugeGuts, October 27 2012 - 05:42 AM.

#42 Panssarikauha

Panssarikauha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:45 AM

How did this conversation go from Assaults are too powerful to Turret mode sucks

In DM, turret mode has next to no uses because any one can just go around you, or leave to find a more readily engaged target. Its meant more for defending points, with teammates, who will also draw fire and return it, so it isn't just you alone, sitting in the open.

The Assault mech is so good because it doesnt have a drawback to be precise. Its special ability is to vent all the heat from your weapons which is superb in longer engagements with multiple hostiles. You're fast enough to fire a TOW and then dodge around in cover until you have another one loaded.
                The +175 HP when compared to lighter classes like the berserker, that has the same exact arms, means I can take a hit and not be reduced next to nothing before the fights started. I can reliably get away with only slightly HP, most often with 1 or 2 frags under my belt. Indeed you will get taken down by Sabot's and Slug Rifles so very easily but in TDM and especially regular DM it rules large chunks of the map with its mobility, taking bigger classes down with speed.
Alpha: [Check]
CB1:     [Check]       CB2:   [Check]   CB3:   [Check]
OB:       [In Progress]

Berserker:  [Locked & Loaded]

#43 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostLithium03, on October 27 2012 - 03:01 AM, said:

View PostBeefC4ke, on October 26 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Out of the 10-12 rounds I've played I have yet to see an A class at the top of the leader boards which is way different than alpha.

That might be because I'm playing B atm though :P

In alpha you start with an A, in beta you start with a B. In alpha A's were on top, in beta they're not....coincidence_
With people starting to purchase mechs, I'm seeing Infiltrators topping the charts regularly, and by a large margin...

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#44 Robsbot

Robsbot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostPanssarikauha, on October 27 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

How did this conversation go from Assaults are too powerful to Turret mode sucks

In DM, turret mode has next to no uses because any one can just go around you, or leave to find a more readily engaged target. Its meant more for defending points, with teammates, who will also draw fire and return it, so it isn't just you alone, sitting in the open.

The Assault mech is so good because it doesnt have a drawback to be precise. Its special ability is to vent all the heat from your weapons which is superb in longer engagements with multiple hostiles. You're fast enough to fire a TOW and then dodge around in cover until you have another one loaded.
The +175 HP when compared to lighter classes like the berserker, that has the same exact arms, means I can take a hit and not be reduced next to nothing before the fights started. I can reliably get away with only slightly HP, most often with 1 or 2 frags under my belt. Indeed you will get taken down by Sabot's and Slug Rifles so very easily but in TDM and especially regular DM it rules large chunks of the map with its mobility, taking bigger classes down with speed.

This is pretty much my view of the Assault. It has superior sustained DPS due to no heat issues. It isn't as punishing when you miss because your primary is firing out a blistering number of shots per second. It's also not easy to scare off a medium as opposed to a light (when in my rocketeer) because if they take only a few or no hellfire shots they aren't missing half their HP. I wouldn't call it OP, I'd call it a bit overtuned due to the mechanics of the class in general but it can be worked with in its current state.

#45 Shiner980

Shiner980

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:53 PM

I don't believe that Assault is OP per se, but it certainly is doing a little bit better than the jack of all trades role it seems to be taking on, at least compared to the other classes. However I've definitely seen sharpshooters and infiltrators wreak assault players with little issue. If anything, the SMC needs a slight buff somewhere to differentiate itself from the standard primary.

Oh and dear lordy, even though I've topped boards using the C-class brawler, the fortified mode is positively useless. You slow to a turtle's pace, you die only marginally slower, and the transformation time makes it an absurdly niche ability. Stealth camo, instant no-heat and increased damage are certainly way easier to apply.

TL;DR - Assaults not really OP, C-class Mech's UP

#46 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 27 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostShiner980, on October 27 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

C-class Mech's UP
They're not so much underpowered as their ability to give them a slight advantage from time to time is useless.
All other mechs abilities give them advantages, while the C-Class mechs ability in general practice is actually a disadvantage.
You can still do very well with them without using it.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#47 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 27 2012 - 06:21 PM

I wouldn't call them UP
The ability to rush and just pummel lesser mechs is a pretty nice advantage
The ability DOES need a rework though, and the SA Hawkins makes me sad
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#48 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted October 27 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostLuftwaffle, on October 26 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Yes. Please buff brawlers or nerf assaults.
Make it easier for me.

/sarcasm.

Attachment HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping 2012-10-26 15-54-26-48.jpg

wow.... really_ DID NO ONE NOTICE THAT THEY ALREADY BUFFED THE HEAVY MECHS_!_!_!_!_

/sarcasm

Edited by Astrolis, October 27 2012 - 06:26 PM.

Posted Image

#49 TheMadness

TheMadness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostBeemann, on October 27 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

I wouldn't call them UP
The ability to rush and just pummel lesser mechs is a pretty nice advantage
The ability DOES need a rework though, and the SA Hawkins makes me sad

I don't think that the heavies themselves are underpowered, they just have a mostly useless ability whereas the 4 other classes have functional ones, which gives them the advantage.
My love for you is like a truck
BERSERKER

#50 MojoNixon

MojoNixon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 09:17 PM

I've seen the C class ability used to annoying effect in tandem with team support, softer targets nearby but it's damage output and missle fire was enough to distract while the mobile mechs flanked.

I fly a C-class Rockateer sometimes and still favor the moblilty, but the turret mode has come in useful for chokepoints etc.

#51 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 27 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostTheMadness, on October 27 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

I don't think that the heavies themselves are underpowered, they just have a mostly useless ability whereas the 4 other classes have functional ones, which gives them the advantage.
I swear I already said that.
Didn't I say that_

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 27 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

They're not so much underpowered as their ability to give them a slight advantage from time to time is useless.
All other mechs abilities give them advantages, while the C-Class mechs ability in general practice is actually a disadvantage.
You can still do very well with them without using it.
Yes. Yes I did.

AJK is right

#52 Mboxel

Mboxel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:02 PM

oh your funny asault mechs and beserker mechs have less health and die faster.
all other classes have enough speed to chase them in time to kill them
and they dont have any defensive abilties

#53 CharlieCroker

CharlieCroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:40 PM

I should like to point out that three "entrenched" rockiteers make short work of the ships engine in Siege. Which can be freaking annoying when I've been killing dudes for their energy

Posted Image

#54 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:05 AM

I love the assault. It feels really great that the starter stuff in a F2P game is so incredibly viable. I actually caved and decked it out with my precious little MC because I felt like it wasn't going to be a waste. Typically I think to myself "Let's just wait and see how everyone else experiments with their cash first."

As for the Heavy mechs, I've been seeing that their turret ability is really useful in teamplay. On its own in a deathmatch it pretty literally rolls over and dies, but if you use it to back up a team of more mobile mechs it can be pretty deadly. I've had pretty good success in Team deathmatch with a light or two running around spotting enemies and flushing them out of cover, a few assaults as the bread and butter damage dealers, and a couple of heavies posting up as sentries when it's time to repair or jumping out in front, turreting down, and becoming a sort of mobile cover in exposed situations.

Flying solo it's really hard to make it work, but with even one dedicated teammate at your back it can be handy.
Posted Image

#55 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:44 AM

I belive that OP is talking about new Assault B_ It feels like assault rifle got buffed, even if i dodge TOWs my hp still goes down very quick from that gun only.
I would like to take a look at changes to weapons they did, is there somewhere updated damage table_

#56 Flirx

Flirx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 05:21 AM

I think that the sniper riffle should do alot more damage or shoot a lot faster. I would get one shot off and it didn't even look like a did a thing to the other player.
ЖFLIRXЖ

#57 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 28 2012 - 06:17 AM

View PostFlirx, on October 28 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

I think that the sniper riffle should do alot more damage or shoot a lot faster. I would get one shot off and it didn't even look like a did a thing to the other player.
No they really shouldn't, they're already the only secondary weapon that is hitscan and it has insane range. Sharpshooters are quite powerful if used right

Edited by Juodvarnis, October 28 2012 - 06:17 AM.

Posted Image
*sigh*

#58 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 28 2012 - 07:49 AM

Assault mechs are fine, IMO.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#59 Canstaht

Canstaht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 07:55 AM

Surprised this thread keeps coming up. Class A mechs were never OP.

#60 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostCanstaht, on October 28 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

Surprised this thread keeps coming up. Class A mechs were never OP.
They're talking about Class B, mate.
Posted Image
*sigh*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users