HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Favourite moments of CBT1

Beta Community

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:13 PM

BYE BYE, CBT1!

Now that the first test's over, let's share our favourite stories and moments in-game. Please stay positive and friendly. The weekend was full of huge, critical problems, and a lot of frustration landed on the forums because of it. Let's not talk about those here, they've been talked to death.

Let's talk about the good times instead.

I had an epic siege match on Sahara on Monday. We lost, but there was some intense and awesome combat over the AA, and my team managed to pull out some great defense when trying to hold the AA during an enemy battleship launch. Both sides played great, and I was smiling even when I got reduced to smoke and twisted metal because it was fairly balanced and a lot of fun. Nobody acted like a jerk, and there wasn't any massive imbalance between the teams to make it a stomping.

Even Immie giving me an actual stomping on Andromeda (not helped by my fps-is-bunnies compie handicapping my reaction time, but I'm not complaining) was fun, because it's cool to see what a player with more skill than fresh-to-beta can do with a mech.

I have also fallen in love with Fred, aka TV Mech, aka the Rookie body part set. I will mainline that body (on either assault or sharpshooter) as long as it's available, and I hope it returns for CBT2.

My other favourite moment was, before the first patch to the CBT1 client disabled all the console commands, I went into DM-Sahara with an Infil and took this screenshot using the F10/tiledshot keybind (search the forum for 'tiledshot' if you want to know what this does). SO MUCH BLOOM! :D

Edited by Elix, October 31 2012 - 09:29 AM.

HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#2 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:40 PM

Zeshi gave me the best damn skirmishes of my CB1 experience.
It was all "TWO INFILTRATORS ENTER, ONLY ONE INF LEAVES."
That bunny fuzz was intense.

Also, plugging these even though I've posted them elsewhere, because I'm a fuzzing attention bunny.
http://youtu.be/pntDX26pSxI
http://youtu.be/2niE4IsqumI

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#3 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:43 PM

I think i have to agree with you there Asianjoykiller :D. I don't think i ever focused as hard during the rest of CB1 as i did during those duels

edit- Come to think of it, we are actually really lucky those duels didn't get ruined by our teammates

Edited by Zeshi, October 30 2012 - 11:53 PM.

Posted Image

#4 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:51 AM

Unfortunately for AsianJoyKiller, my favorite moment so far as to be when I fallling-Sabot-killed him on a match of Missile Assault on Titan. Even more unfortunately for him, it was a match I was recording.

You can watch his unfortunate placement for this admittedly fairly lucky shot starting at 2:14.

I landed another one in this match as well (although not a kill shot) to Raptore starting at about 4:17.

Edited by DarkPulse, October 31 2012 - 04:55 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#5 Kai_Kitamura

Kai_Kitamura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:16 AM

Barring that one awesome (read: me dominating the opposition) missile match I had (and everyone else had at some point), my favourite moment of the beta was joining Siege for the first time and watching that awesome extended startup sequence.

I know this runs kinda contrary to the thread's spirit, but duuuuuuuuuuuude!
Brawler - Gespenst Type-S -=- Bruiser - Gespenst Type-R -=- Rocketeer - Randgirth -=- Infiltrator - Lion -=- Sharpshooter - Weissritter

...make no mistake - we are not shy
We're very wide awake - the moon and I!

#6 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:26 AM

My favourite moment was getting a "Nemesis" or "adversary" notification (or something like that. I can't remember. I only know I got it after killing someone). I wish I had screenshotted it. I have no idea what the trigger was, and tried repeatedly to try and get it again by killing the same person over and over again. But I only ever got it once. Made me feel like kind of a badass.

And Oh god yes, +1 to Siege start up sequence

Edited by Inny, October 31 2012 - 05:28 AM.

#7 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:55 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on October 31 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

Unfortunately for AsianJoyKiller, my favorite moment so far as to be when I fallling-Sabot-killed him on a match of Missile Assault on Titan. Even more unfortunately for him, it was a match I was recording.

You can watch his unfortunate placement for this admittedly fairly lucky shot starting at 2:14.

I landed another one in this match as well (although not a kill shot) to Raptore starting at about 4:17.
Oh damn. Now I remember that match.
You were friggin annoying as heck. ^_^

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#8 Puru

Puru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGrove Street, Los Santos, San Andreas

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:59 AM

My favourite moment had to be was when I was introducing a friend in one of the Sandy-hit places to the game, and we started in Siege mode. Granted I was calling him in Skype to start, someone else started using Voice chat, and between me and him, not only did we coordinate our entire team, I got to haul almost literally all of the energy, didn't have one battle-ship shot down, shot down the only one they got, and the R-turret I left at E2 actually gained me three kills all on its own. THAT was my favourite part.

So maybe it wasn't us being good, but the teamwork was nice.
Shamelessly stealing everything not bolted down

#9 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:00 AM

Last 2 minutes almost everyone in the match ignored each other just to break my streak.

Posted Image

#10 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:07 AM

Due that I'll admit that I'm in love with this game.. everything is wonderful and techno-cool.. lol. And I'm being quite honest on this.

Maybe the waiting will end up making me feel realistic again and pretty soon. :D

P.S. I forgot about the screenshots thing.. now that I have a couple of hopefully great ideas to scrshots.. I can't open the console anymore to take some few ones, pick up the best one and to share it on here.. ouch!.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#11 Mal3fic

Mal3fic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NYC

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:13 AM

So first I went like this, shroom! then he went like that, varsrrroush, and I was like, "oh fuzzy bunny"
and went like that, ba-roooosh, then he shot like fuzzy bunny bap bap bap bap, and I laid a tow missle right into his teeth like ka-boom!
Posted Image

#12 ConsterMonster

ConsterMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:22 AM

View PostMal3fic, on October 31 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

So first I went like this, shroom! then he went like that, varsrrroush, and I was like, "oh fuzzy bunny"
and went like that, ba-roooosh, then he shot like fuzzy bunny bap bap bap bap, and I laid a tow missle right into his teeth like ka-boom!

pretty much this with heat cannon and grenade launcher. Also, siege is now tied for my fav gamemode. This game now covers the bases. Seige for high intensity, nailbiting action, and TDM or missile assault for some relaxing frags.

I've gotta admit, the first time I turned around and sprinted off the top ledge (witch i didn't know was there yet) to avoid enemy fire on 'titan' map was probably my fav moment. Makes me miss flying lol.

Edited by ConsterMonster, October 31 2012 - 07:23 AM.

#13 Puru

Puru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGrove Street, Los Santos, San Andreas

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:24 AM

That sounds like the fight you and me had on Alleys. I hated chasing you so much, because Ph33r was usually there, too.
Shamelessly stealing everything not bolted down

#14 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 31 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

Oh good. That means I did my job quite well then. :)

Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango_

Edited by DarkPulse, October 31 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#15 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:52 AM

I also joined a DM-Sahara server last night in the final hour of the test, in order to test something, and I asked a friend to come join me. Someone joined, and I said, over text chat, that I was testing something, please don't shoot me, I'm not going to be shooting you.

And amazingly, they didn't. The next person who joined did after I asked them, but only once, then they left me alone when I reiterated I was testing. (I also didn't shoot back at all while they were murdering me.)

Cooperation in a pub with total randoms! It's a Christmas miraclenice community when testers are that courteous.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#16 KillamriX88

KillamriX88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 08:49 AM

They tried to run. My TOW rocket was faster.
lol
They jumped off the top bridge on Titan, all the way down, then tried to run into one of the side missile silo locations. I aimed in front of them and fired, and they ran right into just before they rounded the corner to safety. He thought my heavy mech couldn't keep up... hehehe...
Cross map missile kill ftw.

#17 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 31 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on October 31 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 31 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

Oh good. That means I did my job quite well then. :)
You alone wouldn't have been so bad, but your team had 2 other decent sharpshooters and my team was, from what I could tell, very disorganized. Always charging off alone and the like, while your team would travel in groups of two or more. They would get shredded.
Simply got outplayed.

Also, those matches tanked my K/D from nearly 3.0 all the way down to a 2.8 something or other.

AJK is right

#18 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 31 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

You alone wouldn't have been so bad, but your team had 2 other decent sharpshooters and my team was, from what I could tell, very disorganized. Always charging off alone and the like, while your team would travel in groups of two or more. They would get shredded.
Simply got outplayed.

Also, those matches tanked my K/D from nearly 3.0 all the way down to a 2.8 something or other.
As I like to call it, "The Curse of the Pubs." You can't count on your team since you don't know your team, so you simply have to hope you've got the skill to counter whatever the other side's got. That said, Subject9x definitely knew what he was doing (He managed a better K/D than I did, after all, but he probably mostly played it safe) and Culex wasn't too bad either, but still nearly a 1:1. Your team had two washes and we had one, so overall, we simply had the better team, as you said.

Keep in mind, though, that a lower-skilled, but overall more evenly-skilled, team can defeat a player or even two of higher skill. Numbers counter skill, essentially, to a point.

#19 ConsterMonster

ConsterMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:13 AM

weird how this kinda reflects the ww2 air war. luftwaffe had all the highest scoring aces, but allied (esp US in pacific) had a massive number of pilots with 5-10 victories apiece - and, well, the allies won lol.

#20 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on October 31 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

Keep in mind, though, that a lower-skilled, but overall more evenly-skilled, team can defeat a player or even two of higher skill. Numbers counter skill, essentially, to a point.
I'm very familiar with that idea.
The matchmaker in Global Agenda (which I've played for 2+ years) is notorious for putting one or two very good players on a team and then filling the rest of the team (teams of 10) with people who may or may not actually be blindfolded monkeys overdosed on hallucinogenic drugs. They may or may not also have hands to use with their keyboard and mouse.
And then it'll put 5 or more generally competent (read: functioning brains, free of harmful chemical influence, possibly human) players on the opposite team to "counter" the one or two great players.

AJK is right

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users