HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Platform Preference

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
237 replies to this topic

Poll: Platform Preference (449 member(s) have cast votes)

Platform Preference

1. PC (192 votes [77.42%])

Percentage of vote: 77.42%

2. PS3 (17 votes [6.85%])

Percentage of vote: 6.85%

3. Xbox 360 (39 votes [15.73%])

Percentage of vote: 15.73%

Vote

#1 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:16 AM

If you could get Hawken for any platform, what would it be_

PC_ PS3_ Xbox_

#2 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:25 AM

Gonna be on the 360 version if it comes out.

That's mostly because my pc sucks, and I dont have a ps3 (not that I want one  :P )

#3 NaloaC

NaloaC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 05:47 AM

PC all the way.

I put together a very nice rig last year and it's still milling through anything I throw at it, so preferably so.

My 360 has RROD on me twice so far and haven't been able to repair it a 2nd time. If I can, I will be selling it ASAP. Pain in the backside despite how much I love some of the games I have.

I can see how the movements and controls in this would suit a gamepad, but they plug into USB ports on PCs anyway ;)

I understand that not everyone is in the same position as myself and may have a PC that would struggle with this, hence why I would prefer to see it as a multi-platform release. Worse-case scenario; Release initially on PC, then tweak it to scale down to 360 & PS3.

#4 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 08:18 AM

It looks like most people will go with PC, but thankfully it isn't hard too hard to port the Unreal 3 engine to consoles, so if it comes to Xbox 360, it'll most likely come to the PS3 and vice verse. I personally would love the game on the PS3 cause we have NO good downloadable games nor have we had a great mech game.
"We use the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"

#5 shaken

shaken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 08:44 AM

I voted 360 because a friend of mine and I play a ton of stuff together on 360 (he doesn't have a good pc, and hasn't really gotten into pc gaming).  However, personally I would prefer it on PC, particularly if the modding community is strong.

#6 NaloaC

NaloaC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 09:01 AM

I know I'll sound like a tw*t when I say this, but I really would like to see it on PC first, then ported over to consoles from there.

Surely if it is being developed on the UDK, it would make more sense that way_
Please correct me if I am wrong.
It's one of the things I applaud DICE for doing with BF3. Take the strongest technology out there and push it to it's limits, then scale it back for older tech to match.

#7 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 09:08 AM

[ZiiP]Naloac said:

I know I'll sound like a tw*t when I say this, but I really would like to see it on PC first, then ported over to consoles from there.

Surely if it is being developed on the UDK, it would make more sense that way_
Please correct me if I am wrong.
It's one of the things I applaud DICE for doing with BF3. Take the strongest technology out there and push it to it's limits, then scale it back for older tech to match.

The Unreal 3 engine was made so that you can develop a game simultaneously on all three platforms with no problems. The only problem Adhesive games has is the licensing of the game on the Xbox or PS3 if there will be any problems.
"We use the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"

#8 JinD3vil

JinD3vil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 02:59 PM

It has to be PC, it offers far more community support. In the terms of voice comms, forums, communication, and frankly playability as well. Consoles have improved a lot, but in almost every case it seems that things are made to make it easier to play. Like there are limiations on consolesdue to how it is.

TMRNetShark said:

The Unreal 3 engine was made so that you can develop a game simultaneously on all three platforms with no problems. The only problem Adhesive games has is the licensing of the game on the Xbox or PS3 if there will be any problems.

It was made to be the case, but there's still issues due to the different specs and how each will be played. Much like UT3 itself isn't the same on consoles as it is on PC. The engine has improved and in some respects it has got a lot closer, but there's still issues that they can't simply solve via a common Dev Kit. Even with the UDK, they would need localisation on each system and again testing on each.

I'd prefer PC before consoles, as I am sick of games being ruined by the controls and systems left in from obvious console ports or through parallel development. The PC market is still growing and there's money to be made. Ignoring the same complaints will result in reduced sales.

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:04 PM

For starters... PC Game please!. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#10 Dizet

Dizet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:40 PM

I am biased towards the PC.
"The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it."
- William Gibson

#11 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:59 PM

No preference here. I go where Hawken goes.

#12 7heSama

7heSama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 09:29 PM

I would prefer xbox 360, but will most likely get it for both (if only I didn't have to pay twice!).

Xbox for local multiplayer, which is the tops, and the fact that it is better performance-wise than my PC. (I'm running Portal 2 on 640x480 resolution just to avoid lag...)

PC so I can take it to lan parties.

#13 Shannaroc

Shannaroc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 03:27 AM

I voted PS3.

#14 Lev_Astov

Lev_Astov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 10:52 AM

Because of the scalability and all the options for screen output and controller input, the PC is always my choice for such technical games as Hawken.  Please do create it with a focus on PC power before applying the appropriate porting to the consoles.

However, I do see some great potential in using Kinect and Move type motion controllers for a mech game such as Hawken.  They may add significantly to the experience if done right.  I may make a post about my ideas on that later, but as I'm at work, I really shouldn't do it now :P

#15 Hot Rod

Hot Rod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 11:10 AM

I would like to see it on all platforms. I would buy it for my 360 and PC!

#16 IV Lucidity

IV Lucidity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 12:05 PM

Seeing as I won't have the ability to get a nice gaming rig for awhile, I'd like to see Hawken hit the 360.
I come from The Flood.

#17 Joeingo

Joeingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 03:17 PM

Voting for PC, as long as I have a PC that can run this by the time it comes out haha.  PC gamers tend to be less frustrating to play with than when I'm on XBL.

#18 wyver1

wyver1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 11:21 PM

from what i've been reading allot of people what this on the PC, even a few people who have voted 360 or PS3 have said the only reason they have said those platforms is that they are not sure there PC would be able to handle such a game or that they have a friend that plays Xbox's so they want to play with that friend.

It would be really, really nice to see this put out on PC first! I feel the community for this game on the PC would only help to make the game even better, through modding and feed pack plus getting on the PC's good side means you will always have a loyal and dedicated fan base that will love you (Adhesive Games) more and more with every update or release.

this would be great on consoles don't get me wrong I don't want to leave out people just because they play a console but over they last few years I've seen PC gaming being left behind and we're often given meager and horrible, horrible ports of what should be an awesome game (RE4_).
I also feel that consoles will hold you back in terms of raising the bar on any level be it graphically, game play, modding, control etc. etc.

It would be nice if the guys over at Adhesive read these polls and forum threads and use all the feed back to there advantage. I also hope they do whats right for them and not let any one be it a platform community or developer (etc. Actervition) I know they will make the right decision for the game.

I just hope its PC orientated  
:D

#19 MadnessVX

MadnessVX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted April 21 2011 - 11:27 PM

This game deserves to be on the PC. I have always felt that consoles limit your responsiveness. Though I think a game like this will end up on multiple platforms anyway.

#20 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 08:08 AM

I have a lot to say on these matters.

I'll try to be very prudent with my words.

The consoles affects directly the design progress and process on these games. Great games were simply turned into generic piles of mainstream games due the limiting resources in the PS3 and the 360. Few resent victims were Crysis II and Dragon Age 2. It's understandable that Crytek is trying to get funds on the consoles however due to EA policies there was a major strike on the quality of the game considering the first Crysis as their paradigm.

There's reason to make money in a sacrificed industry but games like Hawken should be only developed for the PC. Eventually you will grow reaching a big budget development team continuing your work on Hawken. Hawken is your creation, you do as you like with it, but for many of us is the only hope we have seeing a true mech game that mix many elements on different movies, games and themes in a unique way.

PC must be the only platform for it at the moment. If the next batch of consoles arrives then it's very likely to see the game in the next generation of consoles by Sony, MS and Nintendo.
This game has the potential to bring back the quality that was lost on the current years.
There's nothing wrong with the consoles but the concept you delivered in the videos asks for raw computantional power.

Being fair, Crysis II was a good game but the game felt short if we compare it with the first title. Consoles affected the design decisions on the game giving a bad taste to the PC community. I think this game belongs on the PC at the moment. Maybe in the future this game could reach other platforms. However the 360 and the PS3 doesn't have the muscle to move such game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users