HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Platform Preference

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
237 replies to this topic

Poll: Platform Preference (449 member(s) have cast votes)

Platform Preference

1. PC (192 votes [77.42%])

Percentage of vote: 77.42%

2. PS3 (17 votes [6.85%])

Percentage of vote: 6.85%

3. Xbox 360 (39 votes [15.73%])

Percentage of vote: 15.73%

Vote

#21 Goblinoid

Goblinoid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 08:23 AM

I'd love to see PC and 360; I prefer playing on PC but a bunch of my friends I'd love to play this with lack gaming rigs and have Xboxes.

#22 KellAset

KellAset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 22 2011 - 09:33 AM

PC is the only option.

#23 wyver1

wyver1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 10:03 AM

I think this game belongs on the PC at the moment. Maybe in the future this game could reach other platforms. However the 360 and the PS3 doesn't have the muscle to move such game.

I could not have said it better my self.

I do hope the devs read and listen to the community that is now growing for this game and I'm sure they will, but honestly not making this a lead PC platform game would harm them (the company) right from the start.
In fact some of the more successful games and development studios that have their roots in PC gaming in the last 10 years (if not more), have stayed true the the PC format. Others (looking at Crytek here) have "stabbed" the PC community in the back, it sounds harsh to say that but its true I personal and many more, if not all the PC community feel this regardless of how the game looks it's sad to see a development studio do this to loyal fans and a loyal community.

I guess in short. Doing the right thing, would be making this a PC game. And having a strong fan base on the PC would only benefit Adhesive Games in these early days of their studio.

#24 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 12:06 PM

From what I've read PC and Xbox360 share the same architecture so if its made for PC it can ported to the Xbox360 and vice versa.
I'd love to see a PS3 release but apparently its harder for it to be ported there. Whatever gets the game out faster_

#25 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted April 22 2011 - 12:36 PM

I have to say the Xbox 360 because I'm a console gamer, never had a rig to try gaming on a PC, let alone actually get into it. 95% of my life I've played console games. (Not to say I'm not looking at getting the hardware to game on a PC, just that in my current state my only option is for Xbox.)

Lev_Astov said:

However, I do see some great potential in using Kinect and Move type motion controllers for a mech game such as Hawken.  They may add significantly to the experience if done right.  I may make a post about my ideas on that later, but as I'm at work, I really shouldn't do it now :P

I think that would actually be horrible... It would just end up to be some gimmicky crap.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#26 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 01:04 PM

I'm going to be polite this time, Ashfire.

Do you expect a game that looks like this:

Be on a console, are you serious_

#27 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted April 22 2011 - 01:31 PM

I'm going to be honest, Mech Mechanic.

Do you expect me to suddenly shell out at least $200 in new hardware to get my computer up to spec when I've never seriously played a PC game before and already put a lot into Xbox 360_ I'm sorry I'm not a godly PC gamer like you, but not everyone plays games on the computer. Adhesive Games already specified they were looking at doing it for the Xbox 360 and PS3...

Look at it from my point of view: If you had invested all your money into consoles, and that's all you played, would you see yourself suddenly switching over to PC for 1 game_ (A very good game, but still just *a* game.) Or would you find yourself wanting for it to come out on the console you spent your money on_

Yes, consoles have limitations that PC's don't. Yes, the game might look worse on a console than on a PC. And I can clearly see the majority of the people here play games on a PC. But I *like* my console. I didn't come on this forum to defend my position on being a console gamer. I came here to join with the rest of the people here in being a fan of such a great game, no matter what it comes out on.
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#28 Runaway

Runaway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 01:32 PM

PC, guess mayn will agree it's the best way to enjoy this kind of game...

#29 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 02:08 PM

I'm not going to be polite this time Ashfire.

So I'll be very technical.

Taking this game for the consoles is the same as wrapping the game in a box, buy a fine aluminum baseball bat for few Euros, go to your room and beat the hell out of it for an hour. After that you will take the game back and ship it. The result will be nasty.

The problem with the consoles is the low Ram in them. You have for the PS3 256MB XDR Main RAM at 3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM at 700MHz and the 360 a Ram Memory of 512 MB GDDR3 RAM 700 MHz DDR. The consoles are roughly five years old. The team will be forced to do "reverse engineering" trying to fit the game into those old architectures. That imply a reduction on polygons, a reduction on textures, FSAA, no use of Bokeh deph of field, no use of dynamic motion blur and so on.

Consoles are a set back instead of an advancement. From a technical point of view you hinder the development of the game to a status where the main features of the game becomes compromised in order to attain a steady 30 frames per second. All the features like fug, blur, self shadowing, shading simply goes off the boat for a game that demands a high rate of resources.

This is the result of designing an engine for the consoles:

I don't want to start an argument over something that is highly technical and obvious. The consequences are there for example Crysis I and Crysis II. If you compare the Crytek Engine 2 and 3 you will see how much they downgraded in order to run their game on the consoles.
Yes, I want more people to play the game but this game doesn't belong in this generation of consoles. They have to go five years into the past gimping their game for the achievement of a fair frame rate.

I think the game belongs on PC and stay there untill the next generation of consoles arrives. Many people invested a lot on their consoles. That's fine but moving this game into a console is like beating the game with an aluminum bat.

#30 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 22 2011 - 02:09 PM

Ashfire908 said:

I came here to join with the rest of the people here in being a fan of such a great game, no matter what it comes out on.
You did right! Lets not sink into "PC vs Console" flame wars before the game is even decided on platform. I personally would like to see cross platform connectivity (that is possible with the UE) and that as many as possible get to play and enjoy the game together.

On the other hand, remembering the horrible launch of UT3, a multi platform release has to be done right. As a PC player I felt screwed..

#31 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 02:14 PM

3leggedFreak said:

Ashfire908 said:

I came here to join with the rest of the people here in being a fan of such a great game, no matter what it comes out on.
You did right! Lets not sink into "PC vs Console" flame wars before the game is even decided on platform. I personally would like to see cross platform connectivity (that is possible with the UE) and that as many as possible get to play and enjoy the game together.

On the other hand, remembering the horrible launch of UT3, a multi platform release has to be done right. As a PC player I felt screwed..

Don't worry I'm careful not to start versus debates. However the game is not for the consoles. The development team placed a stamp in the game when the video was shown. It's good to see this game for the next generation of consoles but in this one the game will end up suffering a lot like Crysis II. It's a pain to see great ideas thrown out the window thanks to hardware limitations.

#32 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 02:33 PM

Damn, it looks like it's boiling down to just PC and Xbox 360... PS3 will get no love.
"We use the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"

#33 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted April 22 2011 - 02:51 PM

TMRNetShark said:

Damn, it looks like it's boiling down to just PC and Xbox 360... PS3 will get no love.
Haters gonna hate...

#34 wyver1

wyver1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 03:48 PM

Sure is 12 year olds in here.

Dudes chill with the flaming. Let's all shear our opinions and discuss in a civilized manner.

#35 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 04:35 PM

Things are pretty civilized in here. Don't see anyone behaving like a 12 year old.

#36 Fuse42

Fuse42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted April 23 2011 - 07:21 PM

I'm in kind of a funny position; not really into games much, so I don't own either console-- and I use a Mac!  :shock:  I won't fool myself into thinking a Mac port is at all likely, so in all honesty, I'll probably buy whatever platform Hawken seems to run the best on when it comes out, much in the same way I bought a Dreamcast just to play Virtual-On OT with twinsticks.

I don't play many games... I just love giant robots!

#37 X001

X001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 01:31 PM

ach! I'm on the pc all day for work, i really don't want to be on it during the night or weekends playing games, even if the graphics are better.

#38 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 05:07 PM

While I have no problems with it being released on consoles, I believe it should be made for PC first, then ported to console.  That way they build a complete game to the PC standard, and can tone it down in whatever ways necessary to port to console.

There's no debate between PC and console.  PC is always > Console in terms of hardware, considering a console is essentially just a bad PC packaged for cheap.  That's where consoles are > PC:  They're more accessible to the masses.

So should the game be on both_  Sure, why not.  But build it to the higher standard first.

#39 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 06:54 PM

Honestly, even as an Xbox gamer, I'm totally for this game being centered around PC.  BUT, and it's a big but(t :P ) many people simply dont have the rig to handle many games (Crysis you bitch  :evil: ), nor the resources to put one together.  I unfortunately fall under this category, my computer's so old it doesnt even have a PCI Express slot heh...  

So if this game doesnt come out for consoles in at least a reasonable amount of time, like before the initial release purchases die down, than many, MANY gamers will be unsatisfied, which would suck.  It is absolutely necessary that this game be released for console ASAP after it is released for pc (if that's the case).

#40 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 24 2011 - 10:46 PM

considering how this game is running on directx9 unreal 3 engine

I have a feeling that just about any cheap out of the box dept. store computer should be able to run it fine.
Mech time all the time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users