HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Platform Preference

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
237 replies to this topic

Poll: Platform Preference (449 member(s) have cast votes)

Platform Preference

1. PC (192 votes [77.42%])

Percentage of vote: 77.42%

2. PS3 (17 votes [6.85%])

Percentage of vote: 6.85%

3. Xbox 360 (39 votes [15.73%])

Percentage of vote: 15.73%

Vote

#41 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 24 2011 - 11:09 PM

I prefer ps3, because I am using a 4 year old laptop, and it just can't handle the newest games at highest settings. If I didn't buy an auxiliary laptop cooler it would overheat and shutdown before I even start a game. So the problem is not even with the graphics capability, but with the heat of the CPU. I dunno, maybe newer laptops are better, but I really don't feel like buying a new laptop rite now just to play a game. Further more, once a day at least, the Internet on my laptop cuts off for about 15 minutes. I am pretty sure this has to do with just my laptop settings or hardware, not my router or ISP.

On the other hand I have I think a 40 inch led in my room and I am about to hook up my ps3 to it. I also have a 360 but honestly the only game I have for it is chromehounds. I've always wanted to play that game and I will but I'm playing other stuff at the moment.

But yea, ps3 I can play for free online, I don't need that xbox membership monthly payment crap, and I don't want to set all of that up either just to play 1 game on it. Honestly what does xbox get that ps3 does not_ Kinect_ I won't use that. Halo, Gears_ Whatever I don't care.

I should probably just save up for a good desktop and be done with it.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#42 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 06:43 AM

Flyingdebris said:

considering how this game is running on directx9 unreal 3 engine

I have a feeling that just about any cheap out of the box dept. store computer should be able to run it fine.

tis true... unreal 3 engine is pretty old now.  Could probably build a computer that'd run it for the same price as buying an Xbox360 or PS3, yet the computer would still be better in terms of hardware.

#43 tynen

tynen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 11:21 AM

PC all the way. I have a 360 but I don't like playing multiplayer games on the 360. I'm horrible at shooting people with a controller. Keyboard and mouse are my weapons of choice.

#44 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 26 2011 - 01:44 PM

Redvan said:

tis true... unreal 3 engine is pretty old now.
No, the engine is in constant development. When a dev licence it they get the latest build, check out the features HERE.

#45 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 08:27 PM

3leggedFreak said:

Redvan said:

tis true... unreal 3 engine is pretty old now.
No, the engine is in constant development. When a dev licence it they get the latest build, check out the features HERE.

They just keep calling it Unreal Engine 3_  Aren't they aware generally numbers go up as they improve it_ ;)  goofballs.

#46 Skulo

Skulo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hawken on mah PS3 ____ Hell yeah !!!

but a PC version is fine 2

#47 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 08:51 PM

Tchunako said:

Hawken on mah PS3 ____

Not anymoooore  :mrgreen:

#48 KingLordOfMaster

KingLordOfMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 09:12 PM

PC first, the rest later.

But that's because I hate playing FPS games on a console. It either feels clumsy with the aiming or it have some kind of auto aim support, which I strongly dislike.

Keep shooting games on the PC! A joystick will be able to as good as a mouse for aiming!

#49 Daishi

Daishi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted April 26 2011 - 11:01 PM

Glad to see the PC players represent.
Posted Image

#50 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 27 2011 - 12:43 AM

Redvan said:

They just keep calling it Unreal Engine 3_  Aren't they aware generally numbers go up as they improve it_ ;)  goofballs.
Yes they have a problem with this whole counting thing, just look at the way they label their games:

UT -> 2003 -> 2004 -> 3 (_).

So their boss must have said "you can't count, just stop it". :roll:

#51 wyver1

wyver1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:09 AM

It's really great to see so much support for PC as a lead platform my mine hope is that the guys at Adhesive talk that to account and act on it. basically having it on a console would only hold it back.
That is my honest belief

#52 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Smokies

Posted April 27 2011 - 04:53 AM

wyver said:

It's really great to see so much support for PC as a lead platform my mine hope is that the guys at Adhesive talk that to account and act on it. basically having it on a console would only hold it back.
That is my honest belief

I don't understand the PC bias many people here have and how it would hold the game back. I do understand that PC's are always going to have better technical capabilities, but in gaming for the majority of people, access is a much bigger issue. A game does not have o dumbed down to be successful on a console, and there are far more game consoles out there than gaming PC's these days.

It's a simple fact that console sales are far outstripping PC game sales in recent years. FM:E (a poor mech game in my opinion) sold almost three times as many copies on 360 as on Steam, and alsmot as many PS3 copies as 360.  

I don't know Hawken's over-arching business philosophy, but I'm sure making a profit is high up there. I just don't see them limiting themselves to PC at the expense of losing out on a huge untapped market on the 360.

#53 KellAset

KellAset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 27 2011 - 10:07 AM

Dahdah325 said:

FM:E (a poor mech game in my opinion) sold almost three times as many copies on 360 as on Steam, and alsmot as many PS3 copies as 360.  
Plz link to that info about FME sales , I'm quite interested how true rumor about bad sales of FME really is.

#54 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 10:32 AM

Kell Aset said:

Dahdah325 said:

FM:E (a poor mech game in my opinion) sold almost three times as many copies on 360 as on Steam, and alsmot as many PS3 copies as 360.  
Plz link to that info about FME sales , I'm quite interested how true rumor about bad sales of FME really is.

I just googled 'front mission evolved sales' and a number of links came up. The one i looked at :

http://gamrreview.vg... ... n-evolved/

This link should show the PC #'s; click on the other platform versions below to see theri #'s.

I do apologize tho, I had PS3 & Xbox reversed; the PS3 has sold ~200k and the 360 ~130k. PC is about ~40k.

#55 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 11:00 AM

Dahdah325 said:

wyver said:

That is my honest belief

I don't understand the PC bias many people here have and how it would hold the game back. I do understand that PC's are always going to have better technical capabilities, but in gaming for the majority of people, access is a much bigger issue. A game does not have o dumbed down to be successful on a console, and there are far more game consoles out there than gaming PC's these days.

It's a simple fact that console sales are far outstripping PC game sales in recent years. FM:E (a poor mech game in my opinion) sold almost three times as many copies on 360 as on Steam, and alsmot as many PS3 copies as 360.  

I don't know Hawken's over-arching business philosophy, but I'm sure making a profit is high up there. I just don't see them limiting themselves to PC at the expense of losing out on a huge untapped market on the 360.

FME sales were greater on consoles because FME was made for consoles and ported to PC.  The only thing FME had worthwhile was it's gameplay.  Dev support, servers, friends lists, etc... even the GUI was bad on the PC.  That's why the PC crowd stayed away from it.

I bought it the day it came out, had a good few weeks playing it, but ultimately, with the terrible PC port factors, wasn't worth loading up.

That being said, consoles will generally sell more because consoles are cheap and convenient, and mom and pop can buy them for their kids.  This greatly increases the market for console games.  PCs on the other hand, people will spend anywhere from $400 to $3000 on a PC.  That's not really something a middle school age kid can do, usually.  PCs essentially are the "hard core" platforms for games, but, as with any upper level platform, it'll sell less due to $$.

As for dumbing down console games:  Graphics are dumbed down due to console hardware.  Modability is dumbed down, server options are dumbed down, control options are dumbed down (you only have so many buttons on a gamepad compared to a M+KB).  Best bet is for HAWKEN to be built for the PC, then dumbed down in the necessary ways to make it work on console.  That way we can all be happy :D

I'm not saying this as a PC elitist or anything, it's just basic economics.

#56 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 11:45 AM

I, too, hope they can port this to as many venues as possible. But I'm not sure PC would be the best economic choice. There are a number of active mech franchises on PC (MWLL and others) that they would have to compete with, and as you mentioned due to equipment restrictions, PC just isn't as big a market.

On 360 the most played mech game the last time I looked was the last AC game, and it was well below 50 for UU's on the weekly playlist XBL posts. Hawken has a real opportunity to jump into an empty marketing niche on the 360, with little or no competition. If it were sold as a DL game for ~$20, they would pick up a number of casual gamers on the basis of its cool looks, in addition to the starving mech addicts. Heck, I'd preorder for full price today if they offered, lol.

Either way, I look forward to playing this like no other game in the last couple of years.

#57 KellAset

KellAset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 27 2011 - 02:05 PM

Dahdah325 said:

I just googled 'front mission evolved sales' and a number of links came up. The one i looked at :
http://gamrreview.vg... ... n-evolved/

This link should show the PC #'s; click on the other platform versions below to see theri #'s.

I do apologize tho, I had PS3 & Xbox reversed; the PS3 has sold ~200k and the 360 ~130k. PC is about ~40k.
Thx for link sadly I don't think it is trustworthy source. I have seen that website/info before indeed, no matter how true it is what they show there they show only sales during first 10 weeks since release, also PC version sales shown there are only for America.
Since beginning of this year we had already 2 FME related steam sales, each time we got quite a nice wave of new players in game and so I'm sure that boosted FME pc sales a bit. Anyway it seems I will ever know how well FME sold in general.

Redvan said:

FME was made for consoles and ported to PC.  The only thing FME had worthwhile was it's gameplay. Dev support, servers, friends lists, etc... even the GUI was bad on the PC.  
It looks this way  :( , horrible so horrible online menu, lack of server list, can't join game already in progress, lack of chat option in game (only thx to steam, we can chat! while in game, it helps so so much), pickups everywhere, lack of modding tools/editor with game or whatever, barely few small arenish maps and even with all that they dared to make paid dlc's...

Still I must say that FME was promising, it can be so much fun while playing with friends and by some rules. I was playing and organizing matches with rules for quite some time (now taking a break). It was possible thx to FME steam groups gathering FME players, without those finding a game with multiplayer menu like we have in FME is a pain.
Shame how it ends, few patches with balance fix, more maps and game could become good but sadly devs abandoned the game, ehh.

#58 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 02:52 PM

FM:E never really worked for me (too arcade-y, maps never felt right) but I never meant to bash on it. My intention was  to use it as a rough example of sales numbers. My point was, and remains, that outside of the technical advantages of PC's, I think the market for something like Hawken is larger on XBL/PSN.

I could be wrong, but I know just from my experience with FM:E, there are ALOT of gamers on the 360 (CH still had over 3000 UU/week right before closure) who are looking for something like Hawken. XBL has something like 4-5MM UU's each day who are exposed to the  XBL dashboard and their game vids/ads when they turn on the box. I don't know about Steam, but that's alot of people to put a reasonably priced, great looking game like Hawken in front of. And, at typical DL pricing (1800 pts, $15) they would get a lot of impulse buyers on looks alone, not to mention the mech-addicts like myself,  :lol: .

#59 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 08:09 PM

Dahdah325 said:

I, too, hope they can port this to as many venues as possible. But I'm not sure PC would be the best economic choice. There are a number of active mech franchises on PC (MWLL and others) that they would have to compete with, and as you mentioned due to equipment restrictions, PC just isn't as big a market.

PC is a big market when a game is made properly :)  PC gamers will stay loyal to a game for years, look at TF2.  People still buying that.  When a game is made right, they'll come :)

Console is more of a rush then die game market.  Lots of people will rush out at buy the latest greatest, play it until the next latest greatest comes out, then move on.  Hence, developers keep making new additions (how many COD's are there now_) to keep the cash flow commin.

Build HAWKEN right, the PC market will be viable for yeeeeearrrrrssss.  Especially if they allow modding (being Unreal 3 engine, I hope they'll have some nice modability, I'm no engine expert, but that's a good one for modding right_).  Being viable for years = people purchasing it for years to come until, finally, they decide to make a second, which will probably be the case (hint hint dev team, I'm already planning on it :D).  Take Crysis for example, that's been being played for a while now, and I know of at least 8 of my friends who didn't even buy it until MWLL.  Modding can keep games rolling.

Another huge reason consoles have an upper hand in the market is they spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on marketing.  How many times do you see a PC exclusive game marketed anywhere other than on the internet_  Even on the internet, still mostly console ad's, unless you go looking at PC game sites.

So, in short, the reason they should build it for PC is to take advantage of the long term value, then make a port for consoles, because those will sell regardless.

#60 Nezekan

Nezekan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 29 2011 - 08:22 AM

I hope they count linux under 'PC' ;D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users