HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Great mech games of the past.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Huginn

Huginn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 08:19 AM

What was the last great Mech game you played, or what is you favorite mech game ever_

For me it's Armored Core for Answer.

#2 shaken

shaken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 08:42 AM

For me I would I have to say Front Mission 4.  I'm kinda partial to "tactics" games though (FFTactics being one of my fave games of all time).  

I also enjoyed the Armored Core series (particularly the first one, with the "plus" enhancements that you had to fail hardcore to get).

I also played MechAssault 2 on XBox for a while, which was really fun if you had a good team to work with.

#3 NaloaC

NaloaC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 08:56 AM

I never got the chance to play too many mechs games in the past.

Experience thus far is Mech Warriors (or something like that) on a SNES emulator, Shogo: Mobile Armour Division (awesome fun Multiplayer), Mech Warrior 3 (I think, the one that Microsoft released and was slated by the fanbase) and Mech Commander (My favourite of the lot).

Mech Commander still shines in my memory. The graphics were perfect, the difficulty was insane, the tactics were great and the satisfaction.... oh my.... 3 scout mechs manage to take down a Vulture with pissy weapons and sneaky tactics luring it towards explosive depots! Oh god yes!  :lol:

I have tried so often to get Mech Commander Gold to work on my new machines, but to no avail so far. :( It makes me a sad Mecha.

#4 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 09:04 AM

Chromehounds was a personal favorite of mine. The big mechs that ranged from average sized to ZOMG huge! Some were slow, some were fast. Some of them had the coolest gun modules on them and I loved how the empty ammo cartridges would eject out. Customizing the color, logos, everything about the building of your mech was awesome and made your mech unique.
"We use the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"

#5 Qwet

Qwet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmesa AZ

Posted April 20 2011 - 10:17 AM

i have to agree with netshark Chromehounds was the last mech game that really appealed to me i have no real quarrel with armored core it was fun but it just doesn't do it for me when the mech can make aerial moves that create enough Gs to evict all of your bodily fluids through the skin.
though for me i loved just attaching multiple sniping weapons in cromehound take a hill and pick them off one by one. my weakness bloody artillery.

#6 Kazuma5201

Kazuma5201

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 10:21 AM

ampzero66 said:

What was the last great Mech game you played, or what is you favorite mech game ever_

For me it's Armored Core for Answer.

Mech Warrior 2. Great single and multiplayer, very diverse as you could set your mech up  however you wanted.

#7 Israels_Son

Israels_Son

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 11:25 AM

I still think MPBT 3025 was the best, until EA ... well nuff said.

IS

#8 SgtTim

SgtTim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 11:51 AM

My favourite was a Mech Warrior game at the Arcade.
Since you actually sat in a moving chair that rotated, tilted, and went up and down.  It added an element to an already fun game

SgtTim

#9 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 12:26 PM

It's always nice to meet some fellow Chromehounds fans. It was an excellent title that deserved much more praise than the critics gave it. The Neroimus War felt as if it were a living, evolving entity. The squad system was incredibly intuitive in the way it offered so much freedom and creativity to the player. Be it organizing matches, jumping into the test mode, or trading specs, easy-accessability was the name of the game. The gameplay itself was a delight, the way it rewarded strategy and communication over the silent lone wolf type. I look back on my time on Chromehounds with nothing but fond memories.

But make no mistake, I do not wish Hawken to fill the void that Chromehounds left after its servers were shut down. No, I want Hawken to be Hawken; its own beast entirely.

#10 da_smiter

da_smiter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 12:47 PM

chrome hounds was  the best mech game ever .......
i ran  lords of bud for over 50 wars [30 of them we placed in the top 20/  6 of them we place in top 5 ].... never  has there ever been a game  that was larger then life like chrome hounds was ....  the community of players were all cool even the emo /faggy  players, i wont say any names but all in all hands down the best mech game i ever played ..........

#11 JinD3vil

JinD3vil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 02:50 PM

For me it would have to be Phantom Crash on the X-Box. It had a lot of parts and combinations to allow for a lot more tactical choices. Plus it was an arena based game, where you would go in and fight and people would jump in and leave mid your match. So it had the impression of an arena based game play.

It was an intresting story with a decent amount of progression. In many respects it showed that there was a way of making small arena fights with drop in and drop out functionality. A multiplayer game with the same idea would be fun to play.

I view Hawken in the same respect, it has s a very cool art direction. Kind of a cross between Ghost in the Shell and more modern action games. The settings look very cool and the mechs seems very responsive and well thought out. I'm looking foward to seeing how it plays and what the game offers within the fights and in your mech as well.

#12 Pawken

Pawken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 03:20 PM

MechWarrior 3-PC
Metal Warriors-Snes
Armored Core-PSX
Lost Planet-Xbox360  

These were my favorites, well Lost planet wasnt that mecchy but enjoyed it nonetheless
Posted Image

#13 PunchItInDaFace

PunchItInDaFace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 20 2011 - 04:41 PM

OMG! Ok, I get the whole Mechwarrior, Chromehounds, and Armored Core. Being that I played just about every title they had. Some forgot to mention some of the other great ones like Steel Battalion and Heavy Gear.
           Those two games basically had sex and Hawken was born. The mechs are more down to Earth and realistic. Or believable. Unlike Mechwarrior and Armored Core, Chromehounds did keep it within the realm of real until you see a Hound walking just fine with about 50 feet of crap jutting out from it. And covering your cockpit!. C,mon man. Heavy Gear is a prime example of realism. The Mechs weren't born from Godzilla, power sources were nothing but piston driven engines, and they were not the most powerful thing out there. Gears suffered from a lack of firepower and armor when it came to other enemies. That's why you had to be extremely tactical in combat. A single soldier with a assault rifle could cause some damage. What also appealed to me was the Gears human mobility.
            Now I love Chromehounds but Steel Battalion did it better. the game was so much more immersive and yes the huge controller did help in that aspect. And the mechs were a lot cooler.
            Now about Hawken itself, I got one complaint about it already. Its the environments. They meld to closely with the mechs making them blend in too much. I'm not sure if that was just poor video quality or not. I do love the FPS concept. Which is why it reminds me of Steel Battalion so much.

#14 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted April 21 2011 - 05:10 AM

I really enjoyed Front Mission LAPD, Gungriffon Blaze, and the Front Mission series.

#15 Hot Rod

Hot Rod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 11:01 AM

Steel Battalion and the Armored Core series are my faves.

#16 Joeingo

Joeingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 03:27 PM

Armored Core 3 and Silent Line were my favorites, although For Answer was pretty good too.  Metal Warriors was just awesome.  I never got too into Chromehounds though can't remember why though...

All time favorite mech game experience has to be the arcade version of Virtual On.  The dual joystick arcade set up was so much fun.  Always wanted to play Steel Battalion but couldn't justify paying $200 for a game.

#17 Shivmoo

Shivmoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 03:53 PM

Phantom crash was so damn fantastic!

#18 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 04:07 PM

Joeingo said:

All time favorite mech game experience has to be the arcade version of Virtual On.  The dual joystick arcade set up was so much fun.
Oh that's a great pick! It's hard not thinking about that game without having a nostalgia trip!

#19 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Smokies

Posted April 21 2011 - 04:21 PM

I never got into the Armored Core series, just never felt right to me. I played alot of the Mechwarrior series back on the original xbox, and spent WAY to much time playing Chromehounds. Not that it didn't have faults, but for me that's the standard. Yes, some builds were clunky, and yes, hiding the cockpit probably wasn't realistic, but CH was a game ahead of its time. You could throw together a hound in minutes, but the best, most effective designs were literally the result of hours of tinkering. That combined with THE BEST squad based game-play and some of the first realistic physics in 360 gameplay made it one of a kind.

#20 Thornelius

Thornelius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 21 2011 - 05:25 PM

Chromehounds is probably my all time favorite console game of all time.  It had it all.  Ridiculous customization, 100+ maps in all kinds of terrain, and  the best squad based play of any shooter.  I was saddened when they shut it down.

That being said, after seeing the trailers for Hawken last month, I have high hopes for this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users