HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Great mech games of the past.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 shaken

shaken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 06:07 AM

drew13bucs said:

Chromehounds is probably my all time favorite console game of all time.  It had it all.  Ridiculous customization, 100+ maps in all kinds of terrain, and  the best squad based play of any shooter.  I was saddened when they shut it down.

That being said, after seeing the trailers for Hawken last month, I have high hopes for this game.

I'm starting to think that I missed out on something big.  Never played Chromehounds, and only vaguely remember even hearing about it.  Lots of praise is being thrown around for it here.

#22 Dahdah

Dahdah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Smokies

Posted April 22 2011 - 06:33 AM

[/quote]

I'm starting to think that I missed out on something big.  Never played Chromehounds, and only vaguely remember even hearing about it.  Lots of praise is being thrown around for it here.[/quote]

I'm biased, but yeah, it was one of the better mech games, arguably the best on 360. The environmental graphics were kinda weak, and the singleplayer was nothing more than a glorified tutorial, but the MP was great. Three countries/factions with a ranked, persistant online war on a map with 30+ areas, each with 3-4 individual war maps. Literally hundreds of weapons, and very open architecutre to the mechs (hounds) made for a game that didn't get stale.

The best part of the game was the squad-based play. Squads of up to twenty, with war matches being 6v6. One of the nicest things about squads was the ability to share/trade parts and even hound designs. Some squads were pretty elitist, but many would bring newbies in, and give away parts/designs, and spend time training new recruits.

The original reviews were damning, however, mostly the result of reviewers only looking at the story-mode play. The playerbase peaked at around 9-10 months, and slowly declined after that until Sega closed the online servers Jan 4, 2010 *moment of silence*  :D . Even after the closing announcement, you could still find matches, literally right up to the last minute.

#23 Huginn

Huginn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 10:32 AM

I was never able to play Chromehounds, but after hearing about it hear I wish I had. And I could never really get into the Mechwarrior games on the Xbox, it was a solid game but not enough depth for me. But hey, different tastes for different people right_

#24 KellAset

KellAset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 22 2011 - 10:57 AM

Heavy Gear, Mechwarrior and Front Mission.
It is a shame that Front Mission Online which was released for PC and Ps2 (cross-platform multiplayer) was released only for Japan  :(  and got shut down.

#25 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 11:20 AM

I was thinking to post few names...

Why not....

Zones of the Enders 2.
Omega Boost.
Chrome Hounds.

#26 MadnessVX

MadnessVX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted April 22 2011 - 11:32 AM

Gotta go with: Mechwarrior 2 - 4, Phantom Crash, and Chrome Hounds. I never got to play Steel Battalion, wish I could have.

#27 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 11:33 AM

Oh yeah!!
I forgot About Zone of the Enders! Those games are freaking awesome, I want to beat the second game with an "S" rank someday.
MechCommander was fun, I miss salvaging enemy mechs.

#28 MisterWiddle

MisterWiddle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 02:37 PM

Phantom Crash!

There are so many pros about that game. It did have a few flaws but they could even be viewed as pros. I'm sort of bias though in that it was one of the few mech games that I've owned.

#29 irongamer

irongamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 08:01 PM

Maj. Israels_Son said:

I still think MPBT 3025 was the best, until EA ... well nuff said.

IS

Yep, this was the best. Shame it was one of the ones to go during EA's big cuts.

Still the best semi mmo style game I have played across all genres.

#30 Zutha

Zutha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 02:46 AM

Mech commander the original.

The game cost my father a fortune on dial up when i was young :)

#31 Fuse42

Fuse42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted April 24 2011 - 07:13 AM

I very much enjoyed the older Armored Core titles, there were some ups and downs over the PS2 releases, but I think the gameplay really hit its peak around Nexus.

Virtual-On OT is a classic, but it's really not the same game without twinsticks.

#32 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 24 2011 - 08:30 AM

mechwarrior 2 mercs for me.

you had to buy all your ammo, replacement weapons, pay for repairs, pay pilot salaries to lancemates, buy any mechs you didn't yourself salvage.

Loved it.

I wish i could've gotten into steel battalion. shame it never came out on pc.  If it had, and featured dedicated servers, you'd still have people playing mp.
Mech time all the time

#33 The_Judge

The_Judge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 24 2011 - 10:29 AM

Starsiege, by far the best mech game I've ever played.

Edit: I can't believe I'm the first person who mentioned Starsiege.  (and I mean Starsiege the mech game, not Starsiege: Tribes)

#34 Kavu

Kavu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 12:41 AM

Heavy Gear 2!!!! spent many hours and joined my first online clan on that badboy

#35 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted April 25 2011 - 01:40 AM

List of mech related games I've played:

I'm not about to list them. This is my life lol.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#36 PunchItInDaFace

PunchItInDaFace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 06:13 AM

Kavu said:

Heavy Gear 2!!!! spent many hours and joined my first online clan on that badboy

Just joined_.. Like people still playing it (Just joined)_.. What OS are you running it on. I miss that game!

#37 MyNewBlast

MyNewBlast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 09:58 AM

vBean said:

For me I would I have to say Front Mission 4.  I'm kinda partial to "tactics" games though (FFTactics being one of my fave games of all time).  

I also enjoyed the Armored Core series (particularly the first one, with the "plus" enhancements that you had to fail hardcore to get).

I also played MechAssault 2 on XBox for a while, which was really fun if you had a good team to work with.

What was your gamertag on MechAssault 2 _

#38 Throttle

Throttle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 12:37 PM

Maj. Israels_Son said:

I still think MPBT 3025 was the best, until EA ... well nuff said.

IS

Thank you, I agree 100%. My EA boycott is still in effect from MPBT 3025 getting shot down. The least they could have done was release the source code to the community. All that work for nothing... I was lucky enough to get passed the account info for a Commander, and got to play with the Assault mechs in the last week, that was a lot of fun!

Anyway, back to OP... I cut my teeth on BattleTech: Crescent Hawk's Inception back in 1990, when my dorm mate brought out his fat monochrome Toshiba notebook and let me play away to my heart's content. I finished it after upgrading every mech, then went on to finish Crescent Hawk's Revenge, too.

Later, Mechwarrior (the first one) and the truly glorious Mechwarrior 2 were staples. The SNES Mechwarrior was fun too, though I don't think I ever truly "finished" it. Then I got into the board game and RPG for a while, GMing many games for a small, dedicated group of friends. We discovered the Virtual World simulators (the 3.0 pods, and later the 4.0 pods) and created our own lance for tournaments, practicing after work several times a week.

Mechwarrior 3 and 4 changed that. Hot graphics, customization, fun storyline, expansions, etc. Oh, and not as expensive as a 10 minute mission for $7 at Virtual World.

I still miss MPBT 3025, though. Assembling and deploying your lance strategically was important, it was not about who had the biggest mech every time...

BTW, Hawken looks amazing, keep up the good work and I will be one of your most loyal and rabid fans! Looking forward to following this game development and media releases with baited breath! :D

Ixion
"I love the smell of burning armor in the morning, even if it is my own..."

#39 Ganthir

Ganthir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSteel City

Posted May 04 2011 - 12:15 AM

Mechwarrior 2 on PS1 for me. I sat against the front of the sofa with the heat on in the house and in a blanket with the semi-large fuzzy television in a pitch black room with some pizza and soda while I clutch my playstation controller picking out a mech and launching onto an alien planet to find and destroy enemy mechs and yeah.. I miss them days.. so careless and free! No other game really hit the spot for me when it game to mechs. But Hawken looks to me like it's going to hit that sweet spot and I'm going to enjoy every last bit of it. :D

#40 legionwolff1

legionwolff1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted May 05 2011 - 06:28 PM

My Favorite Has always been Phantom Crash on original x box. It was fast paced, had terrific graphics for the day, and was almost totaly emersive. I loved it to say the least and as it turns out a lot of my ideas on the forums for this game from my experience as a rumbler in phantom crash. If you haven't played it, it's definitly worth the look for an original copy.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users