HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Great mech games of the past.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 ArkantheSword

ArkantheSword

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 08:46 PM

I feel like the only person in the world who really liked armored core 4, but not for answer... im super hyped for V tho!!!
i always thought armored core's storylines were the best, they are the only games i could ever really get into the story.

#42 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 13 2011 - 09:12 PM

Jin_D3vil said:

For me it would have to be Phantom Crash on the X-Box. It had a lot of parts and combinations to allow for a lot more tactical choices. Plus it was an arena based game, where you would go in and fight and people would jump in and leave mid your match. So it had the impression of an arena based game play.

HOLY SHnickies Batman!!!

I never thought I'd find someone else who had actually played Phantom Crash let alone heard of it.
I concur that was one of the games That I'd have to say Rivaled my love for the Armored Core series. It was a very under rated game that if it had more support and a bigger fan base it would have seen it's days on Xbox live or PSN.

And to be honest when I fist saw the trailer for Hawken it reminded me so much of Phantom Crash fighting with my mini-gun in Old Tokyo. But This is Hawken this game appeals to me because it is unique.

Wow here I am raging about an old game when I should be talking about my fav.
To be honest Armored Core 4 was my favorite out of the series. Probably because of the story and the music... and the characters... and the fact that you alone take down an entire company! Plus the game just had way more epic moments then ACFA. Overboosting across the desert to face the Sol dios arms forts; zigzaging through a fleet of subs, carriers and battleships to destroy the queens lance; Facing Anjou who had the legendary moonlight blade in close quarters combat; Fighting 4 of the last top ranks alone!
Ah the memories...

But as for multiplayer Chromohounds was really amazing. Clan versus Clan in a war that spanned across 3 nations. It made you actually feel like you were defending your homeland.
Above the sky, beneath the stars.
Is where I soar, and your world is no more.

http://i306.photobuc...597d4c3e0b5.jpg
^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#43 Iconic

Iconic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 01:21 PM

Has to be Armoured Core 2 for me.  I loved the storyline + Arena aspect in one game and the amazing customisation that game allowed for.  Every other AC game I've played after that (the earlier ones where also brilliant if user unfriendly) has always felt more 'limited' even AC2:AA which was meant to be more of a console expansion than a full game.

Also a big fan of the mechwarrior series especially the ability to eject parts of your mech as needed in order to switch weapons or lose weight.

#44 Foxide

Foxide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 07:25 PM

EXTEEL,SDGO,TFWC

#45 Barcode1

Barcode1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted June 05 2011 - 04:29 PM

The mech games I enjoyed the most were Starsiege 2, the Mechwarrior series in general, and Chromehounds. Really wish I got to play Steel Battalion...
In-game username-to-be: cupcakesRevenge

#46 Houndeye

Houndeye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 07:47 PM

Barcode said:

Starsiege 2

It was Earthsiege 1/2 then Starsiege. Starsiege was EarthSiege 3 :P but yeah great game. Or you talking about Starsiege 2845 or what ever that mod was called.

And even though not really a mech game BATTLEZONE 1/2 will always have a place in my gaming heart :)

Posted Image

:mrgreen:

#47 Barcode1

Barcode1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 02:19 AM

Houndeye said:

Barcode said:

Starsiege 2

It was Earthsiege 1/2 then Starsiege. Starsiege was EarthSiege 3 :P but yeah great game. Or you talking about Starsiege 2845 or what ever that mod was called.
Hm. I don't remember...it was the one where you could fly as an aircraft, though you were mainly in mechs, and the mechs had LUDICROUSLY DETAILED damage zones (I remember different damage zones for the mech's foot, shin, knee...if you brought up the damage readout it literally filled the screen with "[part name]: [%]").
In-game username-to-be: cupcakesRevenge

#48 pantherwrestler

pantherwrestler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted June 09 2011 - 01:14 AM

Definitely Mech Warrrior Mercenaries. Probly because they actually came out with Inner Sphere and Clan mech expansions. The Best about that mech game was the feeling of decision making impacting the game. Who you would back up or who you started as affected you in the campaign. Most of all the lore. Its fun to jump into a time period and know whats going to happen but still the game captured a certain uncertainty of the outcome. The mechs looked beautiful and fallowed the time line in according to the game. Some mech games are just like OK ALL MECHS ARE OMNI MECHS. I hate that. I loved this game.
End Transmission
Aidan Pride
rofl

#49 Houndeye

Houndeye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted June 12 2011 - 02:19 AM

Wait i remember an old one!

SHOGO M.A.D :D

#50 Houndeye

Houndeye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted June 12 2011 - 02:24 AM

Barcode said:

Hm. I don't remember...it was the one where you could fly as an aircraft, though you were mainly in mechs, and the mechs had LUDICROUSLY DETAILED damage zones (I remember different damage zones for the mech's foot, shin, knee...if you brought up the damage readout it literally filled the screen with "[part name]: [%]").

Rings a bell and i didnt get a chance to play either ES1 or 2 but its not that detailed in starsiege from what i can remember.

#51 Salem

Salem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOH

Posted June 23 2011 - 03:11 PM

On the 360, I have to say Chromehounds made a great Single player game in my experience. I never got play multiplayer, and I'm finding myself wishing I had. Armored Core 4 was also alot of fun for the mobility and customization aspects, as well as the ability to customize your paintjob as well.

As for PC, I haven't really played any Mech games apart from Mechwarrior 2 or something_ It was fun, but I was about 9 or 10 when I played it, so I had no clue what I was doing.

#52 PhoenixRison

PhoenixRison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted July 10 2011 - 03:21 PM

PC-  

I started out with Mechwarrior 2 and briefly played it online, but I was totally hooked on MechCommander for the longest time.  What the heck was the gaming service for online play called back in those days_ I thought of it the other day and cant remember the name!

I enjoyed MW3-4 Mercs but never had the same online community like MC did.  

I never played Starsiege, just Tribes 1,2,Vengeance

#53 VuLtUrE36

VuLtUrE36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted July 13 2011 - 05:29 AM

Chromehounds and MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries were my two fav. games, still regret never getting to fight a super weapon in chromehounds though  :(
Join I.R.M.
help stop ID-10-T errors

#54 Torinir

Torinir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 10:28 AM

PhoenixRison said:

I started out with Mechwarrior 2 and briefly played it online, but I was totally hooked on MechCommander for the longest time.  What the heck was the gaming service for online play called back in those days_ I thought of it the other day and cant remember the name!

Phew... MechNet/MercNet was MechWarrior 2's online service. Don't know about MC/MC2 though.

#55 SixEcho

SixEcho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 07:27 PM

Easily the Mechassault series, especially yhe second where your pilot was allowed to get out on foot and plant explosives on the ground. It was so scary hiding behind the corner of a building and literally looking up at this towering beast of a mech and then noticing that its only a Cougar scout that doesn't even have two repeating pulse lasers but intensely exhilarating to watch him walk forward right above those mines you planted and then to pull the trigger forcing that trademark explosion that would demolish buildings around it.

More of an arcade type game especially with the armor and weapons drops you got from destroyed mechs.

In response to Chromehounds, I found it to be very lacking in some ways. The comments I got on here about the storyline being a tutorial I could not fully understand. What they tried to teach you in single player made little sense to me and often I was working my way out by myself. The specific tutorial missions were redundant, especially for artillery, never really figured out how to put my shots where I wanted them. Still I recognize the community it had and would welcome a sequel with a more intuitive style.

Oh and Phantom Crash was a blast, that still runs on my 360 though stability is an issue.

#56 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 18 2011 - 01:58 AM

TheDubstepDisciple said:

Oh and Phantom Crash was a blast, that still runs on my 360 though stability is an issue.

;)  Same for me lol

^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#57 SixEcho

SixEcho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted July 18 2011 - 06:43 PM

Good shit always hit the Scoobee shops on days that were multiples of 3. And it was the only game I know that allowed you to purchase a selection of game music and customize your own playlists.

#58 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 20 2011 - 06:24 AM

Lol I remember everytime I'd start a new day I'd do flips on the hover board and get an easy 1,000.

And yes the music store was sweet, I was in there probably more times that the actual parts store.

I always rode a Holy or a Proton/Photon, The other one I think it was American made_ Was UGLY AS F***!! I hated it. It looked like an old man taking a shit, like thats what its design looked like.... Holy with a mini-gun and the shark teeth paint job was my fav though.

^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#59 k0rN_b4LL

k0rN_b4LL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted July 25 2011 - 01:25 PM

It's kind of an unknown but Gundam Side Story 0079 on the Sega Dreamcast.   It wasn't the seizure inducing garbage that most Gundam games are these days, it had you playing from the cockpit view from inside a GM and was more sim-like and down to earth.  It was really short (nine missions) and the controls were a bit wierd being on a Dreamcast controller but I had alot of fun with it.

Watch this and you'll see what I mean-

Here's one in English but the guy doesn't seem to know how to play-

(And yes Dark I just copy and pasted it from the other thread I posted it in.)

#60 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 25 2011 - 02:24 PM

K0rN b4LL said:

(And yes Dark I just copy and pasted it from the other thread I posted it in.)

Lol wasn't going to say a word.  ;)

^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users