HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Oh that Vulcan..

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Poll: Oh Vulcan.. oh... (142 member(s) have cast votes)

A "bit too" overpowered_...

1. Yes. (103 votes [72.54%])

Percentage of vote: 72.54%

2. No. (33 votes [23.24%])

Percentage of vote: 23.24%

3. I'm on it... (6 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 She

She

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJersey, CI

Posted November 11 2012 - 12:11 PM

Yeah Vulcan definitely overpowered, when on fast/medium mechs. Why is it on the berserker. Just why.To be honest I think it should only be on the class Cs.

And yeah, please, allow us to choose all the alt. weaps at lvl 0, having to get to 20 to get a gun is just silly. Levelling should be how you learn a mech, and that should include trying all the different weapon types. As it is right now you basically just level to 20 to get the OP weapon aka the Vulcan.

#22 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 11 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

The gun itself isn't OP.
However, sticking that thing on highly mobile A-classes is a really bad idea. That gun is supposed to shred targets at close range, and when you can't get away from the mech using it, it become ridiculous. This is why it works for the Brawler. You can get away from them.
On the Assault B-class, it's also bad because the Assault is mobile enough to be a nuisance, tanky enough to hold up for a while, has a rather nice specialty weapon, and their ability is a coolant, which nullifies what should be one of the Vulcan's main weaknesses, which is heat.

It's a little too accurate as well. It needs to go back to the A2 version imo. It was scary enough back then.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#23 Crimson_Corsair

Crimson_Corsair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 12:38 PM

I can see the vulcan on the 'zerker at least in theory. Trading high damage and mobility for extreme vulnerability. You might be able to demolish someone quickly, but after that you're overheated. good for breaking up those dug in AA mech blobs.

Posted Image

#24 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 01:22 PM

i feel like im throwing my child under the bus, but it may need some tweaking. the only thing i think they should change is the spread. i still have just as much luck picking people off as i did with the AR.

but, in contrast, when people cry about the vulcan in matches ill throw on the smg and the results are normally the same.

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#25 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostCrimson_Corsair, on November 11 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

I can see the vulcan on the 'zerker at least in theory. Trading high damage and mobility for extreme vulnerability. You might be able to demolish someone quickly, but after that you're overheated. good for breaking up those dug in AA mech blobs.

To me the Berserker heats up fast even with heatsinks and such so having the vulcan shouldn't be that much of a problem. I would like to actually test it out except I stopped getting EXP since it's bugged. With any weapon your usually left at high heat since the A class guns don't do much damage at all, in tight areas your mobility drops dramatically (Alleys being the best example) and in some cases the enemy (mostly C-classes) ram into you so you can't use your secondary, if you get hit by the AoE and kill yourself, so they can tank it but you can't so it would be nice to have something that actually does damage even if it costs something like Heat in return.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#26 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 11 2012 - 02:14 PM

I've played a lot with the Vulcan and have found that it really only seems to start overpowering opponents in tight, close up engagements. I feel like I can swap it out for an Assault Rifle and do just as well at range. </anecdotalEvidence>

#27 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted November 11 2012 - 04:08 PM

WHat I find hilarious is that due to the extreme RoF of the vulcan, you can steal kills very effectively with it at range :D

#28 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 04:16 PM

Spec with the item damage optimization and it's 2x as OP.
Posted Image

#29 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:41 PM

Rollin with a couple Brawlers equipped with Vulcans can get pretty ridiculous on Siege matches.

Edited by NIGHTRAV3N, November 11 2012 - 06:43 PM.

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

#30 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 11 2012 - 07:51 PM

View PostNIGHTRAV3N, on November 11 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

Rollin with a couple Brawlers equipped with Vulcans can get pretty ridiculous on Siege matches.
You saying you'd rather I didn't_ :P

It's not OP, I feel. While it does do very good damage, here's the downsides.
  • EXTREMELY noticeable. While you may wonder what the hell hit you sometimes, you'll never wonder who's got a Vulcan. You'll always know.
  • It does generate massive amounts of heat. To down a C-Class I'm usually nearly maxing out heat on my Brawler - and this is with heatsinks equipped. I still manage to overheat quite a bit, and the cooldown for that is nasty. On the upside, hitting me with an EMP is basically a free enforced cool-off. :P
  • Their power is greatly mitigated in multi-man situations. 2-3 players working together will be able to take the single Vulcan user out. It's a big reason I lost a Siege match last night that, on paper, we should've absolutely won.
That said, it's definitely OP on the Assault (due to the heat ignore ability) and on the Infiltrator (due to their speed). Keep them as-is but basically limit it to C-Class. It's a heavy gun so that's natural.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#31 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:48 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 11 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

Keep them as-is but basically limit it to C-Class. It's a heavy gun so that's natural.

Hell no. C-Class right now can rip through people easily. People vastly overrate mobility, sure it's great and you can dodge quite a bit but it's completely limited. Mobility is limited by the amount of fuel you currently have and what area your in, like hallways and what not. In an open space you can dodge normal attacks pretty easy but the explosives are what can kill you. Health and armor is functional all the time, it's not as limited as fuel. If you played against a team of all C-Classes then you know that mobility counts for nothing when you are constantly bombarded by Hellfire Missiles, I shudder to think what happens when they all have Vulcans too. Heat is pretty consistent throughout all classes but having the health to tank through multiple attacks is not.

#32 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostSylhiri, on November 11 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

View PostDarkPulse, on November 11 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

Keep them as-is but basically limit it to C-Class. It's a heavy gun so that's natural.

Hell no. C-Class right now can rip through people easily. People vastly overrate mobility, sure it's great and you can dodge quite a bit but it's completely limited. Mobility is limited by the amount of fuel you currently have and what area your in, like hallways and what not. In an open space you can dodge normal attacks pretty easy but the explosives are what can kill you. Health and armor is functional all the time, it's not as limited as fuel. If you played against a team of all C-Classes then you know that mobility counts for nothing when you are constantly bombarded by Hellfire Missiles, I shudder to think what happens when they all have Vulcans too. Heat is pretty consistent throughout all classes but having the health to tank through multiple attacks is not.
There are so many things wrong with what you said, I wouldn't even know where to begin...

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#33 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 11 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

There are so many things wrong with what you said, I wouldn't even know where to begin...

Suit yourself.

#34 RavenSol

RavenSol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 11:41 PM

feels abit op when your game is mostly populated buy lvl 3-5 plp atm (since the game lied to us again in saying you can put the weapons you want on to play the way you want .....)  if all the weapons for that chassie was available at lvl 1  and just get stronger  it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

#35 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 11:48 PM

Playing as my level 18 SS, vulcan can take me out in no time even at mid range.  It takes like 3 seconds to kill a SS with that thing.  They just look at you and half your armor will magically disappear.

I understand its a "max level weapon", but, why do we need max level weapons such as this that are vastly over powered_  The tech tree adds beneficial upgrades via leveling, upgrades that don't make any class super OP or any level super OP (recently played on my other account as a level 1 SS and did just as well as I do with my level 18 SS).  Do we really need to add weapons at max level to completely unbalance things_

Some may have already noticed this:  But if I see you using a vulcan in game, I'm going to fuzzy bunny the fuzzy bunny out of you.

EDIT:  Its still pretty OP even on Class C.  Just saying.  Take it off A and B, tone it down on C.  No gun should be able to destroy another class in 3 seconds.

Edited by RedVan, November 11 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#36 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 12 2012 - 12:00 AM

View PostRavenSol, on November 11 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

(since the game lied to us again in saying you can put the weapons you want on to play the way you want .....)
[citation needed]
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#37 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 12:05 AM

Even on brawlers it needs a change. However, I think it only needs a reduction in effective range. I'm outgunning sharpshooters on the other side of Sahara with the vulcan's current accuracy.

Although even then it would still be a nasty weapon. Currently, a 9/0/16 vulcan brawler with heat sinks is one of the best close range set ups. 850 health, highest DPS weapon, fast enough to pursue,  fast enough to escape, and almost never showing up on radar when doing anything. The vulcan is also much, much easier to use than the flak cannon. They are only outmatched by offensively equipped vulcan berserkers and assaults, but those set ups beat everything anyway.

Edited by HugeGuts, November 12 2012 - 12:56 AM.

#38 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 12 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostHugeGuts, on November 12 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

Although even then it would still be a nasty weapon. Currently, a 9/0/16 vulcan brawler with heat sinks is one of the best close range set ups. 850 health, highest DPS weapon, fast enough to pursue,  fast enough to escape, and almost never showing up on radar when doing anything. The vulcan is also much, much easier to use than the flak cannon. They are only outmatched by offensively equipped vulcan berserkers and assaults, but those set ups beat everything anyway.
And from what the devs said, Assaults aren't supposed to have a Vulcan. Who knows if A-Classes are supposed to either.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 12 2012 - 04:26 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#39 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 12 2012 - 07:11 AM

As side note, I'm remembering now how one guy with a Vulcan Killed my Assault lvl10 mech from the many many mts. away in Alleys.
I was in one of those little blue corridors showing up my nose to the connected big hall.. that guy took me out in 3 seconds with his Vulcan from far far away.. At least that's what seemed to me, so I may be wrong (crossing fingers...).

Anyway, if anyone has experienced something like this then please post it on here.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#40 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted November 12 2012 - 08:33 AM

oh yes vulcan is quite accurate at range. Even if only 30% of the bullets hit, itll still chew you up if you do not get cover.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users