HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Is the MG turret op_

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:48 AM

I would like to know what every bodies think of the MG turret.

Personally i think it is a bit on the strong side.
It has good accuracy and damage ( which i believe are lacking from the missile turret )
It has great survivability ( 300ish armor i would say, considering it takes 2 TOW to kill it at full health. )
It is excessively hard to hit with bullets.
And it is fairly sneaky aswell.

Here is some footage of just how powerfull it really is.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#2 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:51 AM

I think it got an upgrade over previous incarnations and i think it does a tad too much damage for my taste

#3 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:53 AM

I think the turret is fine. It dies pretty fast, it's usually easily avoidable, and it's a useful zoning tool for the slower mechs to use against the insanely fast mechs. I can't say I died to turrets that often.

#4 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:54 AM

there is a good point to be made with this, but I'd rather see improvements in the other items instead of a downgrade of the MG turret.

I've killed a lot of players even after they dropped an MG turret next to them, so I wouldn't say they're OP to the point that they're a game-changer. I only use mine when I've got 3 guys or more around me, and then it helps cover me, which is useful.

one thing that should be done for sure is to make the turret easier to hit. That's a bit ridiculous.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#5 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostAce4225, on November 14 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

there is a good point to be made with this, but I'd rather see improvements in the other items instead of a downgrade of the MG turret.
Why should something that takes practically no skill to use be that effective_

You don't have to aim it.
You don't have to fire it.
It's not effected by heat.
It chews through armor at what I've estimated to be somewhere above 100 per second.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#6 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:28 AM

...it's also 100% fooled, every single time, by Holograms.  If you are worried about turrets pack a Holo unit and your problems are solved.

Edit:  In addition, I think it's a tad unfair to say that they require no skill to use.  Placement and your ability to manoeuvre in such a manner as to maximize its effectiveness are key to getting the most out of your little robotic sentry.

Edited by defekt, November 14 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#7 Coot

Coot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:35 AM

The current incarnation of the MG current is flat out better then any of the other offensive utilities.

Place on ground and watch it tear oblivious people apart.

Either make it so 1 TOW/GL/Sabot takes it down, or I'd suggest cutting the damage down by half.

#8 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:39 AM

1 tow missile and a couple rounds is all it takes to down a turret... or 2 charged heat cannon blasts. Additionally, watching the screen shows where you're being shot from. If I notice the sound of it and where I'm being shot from I can take turrets out.

They become a pain when the enemy sets a perimeter with them. That's when I have to slide in and out to take their turrets out before I take the enemy out - unless someone throws a shield on me. Then I just go bonkers and dive head first to cause major ruckus. That shield makes those turrets absolutely useless. Play with a friend, or find someone on your team that you can help support. Was playing a game with Slighter, and I would throw a shield on him each time we would push. It totally changed the balance of their turret strategy.

Turrets do what they're intended to do. They're also a best friend to a class C mech against a class A.

Edited by Aelieth, November 14 2012 - 12:36 PM.

Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

#9 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:42 AM

Maybe a unique radar icon would remedy the situation.  Most times it's the surprise factor that amplifies the MG turret's effectiveness.

#10 Phaaze

Phaaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Location123 Mulburry St. Whoville Ontario Canada

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:42 AM

it is not op yeah it fires at holos and doesnt move, it also cant be rapaired and you can move out of the way

#11 BRASH

BRASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:43 AM

Posted Image

#12 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:46 AM

I don't think it's OP either.  With only a smidgen of adaptation, using one of several options, they are 100% circumventable.

#13 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 14 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 14 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

View PostAce4225, on November 14 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Why should something that takes practically no skill to use be that effective_

You don't have to aim it.
You don't have to fire it.
It's not effected by heat.
It chews through armor at what I've estimated to be somewhere above 100 per second.
You forgot to mention that it's a point d-vulcan with 100% situational awareness and never misses.
Posted Image

#14 Reis

Reis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:08 PM

CBT2's MG turret definitely felt more damaging than CBT1's. I would much rather prefer the turret not be considered for DPS, but for area control and a slight advantage in small skirmishes.

A couple of ideas:
  • Lock the turret's rotation so that it can only fire upon anything within, say, a 90 degree angle. That would make turret placement even more important a decision of when and where to use one. (Perhaps this is too harsh a nerf_ I actually don't even like the sound if this lol)
  • Slowing down the rate in which it rotates when tracking and firing upon targets. This goes two ways: if you know where a turret is, you can outmaneuver it to take it down without issue; if you place a turret down, you'll know that an opponent will have to adjust their mech's movement in order to deal with it.

#15 MK501

MK501

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:08 PM

Don't see a problem with the MG turret, it's easy to destroy them, but it's a pain to walk into them if they're placed around the corner. I like it the way they are. I do, however, feel the rocket turret could use some improvements.
Posted Image

#16 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:10 PM

Pretty sure the Devs have said MG turret is getting a nerf (or is at least "going to be looked at"). Cant remember the exact post though.
Posted Image

#17 QuanZen

QuanZen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Location_...My GPS isn't working

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:13 PM

I usually just ignore them for two reasons.
(A)It's been placed to distract you from the current objective.
(B)It will give away my position if I engage it, will also give away my position if it's firing on me.

I only take them out when I know the surrounding area is secured by fellow teammates. Turrets have never been much a problem for me personally.
Posted Image

#18 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostZeshi, on November 14 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Pretty sure the Devs have said MG turret is getting a nerf (or is at least "going to be looked at"). Cant remember the exact post though.
It's in a post by me.
I was in a match with Shadi, bitched about turrets because I lost 200 health to one just moving from cover to cover, and Shadi said something like "I think they are being toned down next time."
True, it was a [ADH] that said it, but I'd still call it far from official.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#19 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:49 PM

First, let me just say that I do use MG turrets a LOT, so if you think I'm biased then I very well might be.

That being said, I don't think the mg turret is too powerful, and I quite like them for the utility they provide. As a class A, they've gotten me out of quite a few pinches alive, but that doesn't make them infallible. As has been pointed out, it doesn't take much to kill them and because they can't move you can easily keep a piece of cover between them and you and not worry about them. The problem is rocket turrets, which are pathetic in comparison and there is no reason to use a rocket turret instead of an mg turret.

However, I will admit that they DO get to be a bit much if you run into one of them out in the open, and it starts unloading constant damage on you. So, I suggest these solutions:

1) improve the rocket turret so it's not useless by comparison to the mg. Maybe rockets that can home in on a target to a degree, or air-detonate when they get close to an enemy.

2) Give the mg turret a short cooldown period after a few seconds of continuous firing. Not too much, but enough that if you're getting shredded by one with no cover in sight you still get a breathing window to deal with it.

Aside from that, I think they're perfectly fine, and running into one doesn't ruin my day even if I am in a light mech.

#20 Mnemosy

Mnemosy

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:49 PM

I was c

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 14 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

View PostZeshi, on November 14 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

It's in a post by me.
I was in a match with Shadi, bitched about turrets because I lost 200 health to one just moving from cover to cover, and Shadi said something like "I think they are being toned down next time."
True, it was a [ADH] that said it, but I'd still call it far from official.

I mentioned this in a match w/ Shadi, Vitquay, Deuy, and a couple other ADH guys. If you'll remember, base turrets used to be weak enough to run in and camp spawn. My thought was that when they buffed the base-turrets, it gave that same buff to deploy-able turrets without realizing it. From what I could gather, none of them -thought- the deploy-able turrets had gotten any form of buff, but my idea was probably spot on since they were planning on buffing the base turrets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users