HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Is the MG turret op_

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#21 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 14 2012 - 12:54 PM

I've almost never died to the things and they're very easy to take out.

People exploiting places to put them is a different story entirely, but in and of itself, they're not OP.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#22 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:08 PM

If you compare the MG turret to the rocket turret, it's absurdly OP. Same health, can't be dodged, actually hits targets at long range, obscenely high DPS at close range...

I liked the earlier versions of the MG turret better, it was more of a support tool rather than a "plant this in the middle of combat and annihilate enemy unless he runs away" sort of deal. The repair torch is a confirmed secondary weapon in the future, so we'll be able to repair them eventually. I shudder at the thought of someone babysitting a turret at its current strength.

Posted Image

#23 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostImmie, on November 14 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

I shudder at the thought of someone babysitting a turret at its current strength.

New Infiltrator item : The zapper.

Spy zappin mah sentry!

#24 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostHipnox, on November 14 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

New Infiltrator item : The zapper.

Spy zappin mah sentry!
Tomorrow, that.

Two days from now, we get the Boltwerks Refit Yard opening, and opponents occasionally drop a locked box, which will require a digital decrypter to open (costs 250 Meteor Points!) and gives us some goofy decal to put onto our mechs.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#25 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 14 2012 - 02:05 PM

This thing packs alot of dps at close range indeed.

#26 AC273

AC273

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 04:58 PM

The MG turret is PERFECT right now.   It was absolutely useless before.   I actually witnessed a few kills due to the turret.   That is the purpose of it... if it can't kill anything, then what is the point.

I think it just looks so good because the rocket launcher is so crappy.

#27 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hmm... even though I love turrets and abuse them horribly, I'm gonna say that they probably need a damage nerf.

I don't think they have too much armour... where they are now seems to be a nice place where they're easily focused down but not too fragile to be useful.

However, MG turrets have extremely high sustained DPS at close range and will still take a good chunk out of you at long range. There have been a number of times this beta where I engaged a turret directly (usually avoidable, though not always), and they've done upwards of 300 points of damage to me in the time it takes to shoot them down.

In team play, that's less of an issue, because focused damage can easily mitigate the turret advantage, but in FFA Deathmatch, turrets are terrifying. Fighting 1v1 alongside a turret is almost autowin in many cases. I've learned to run from turrets in Deathmatch, since I generally can't take those fights without either being able to snipe the turret from safety or leading opponents out of its protection.

Even discounting the weird placement bugs, certain maps have locations where turret placement is flat out abusive. For instance, if you fortify the rooftop in front of the bases on Titan with a MG turret (positioned to protect the roof, not shoot down), it is very, very difficult for anyone to knock you off the high ground. Attackers will take an alpha strike to the face on the way up, and between you and the turret they're often dead within a second of landing. Granted, that's as much a map design issue as a turret one, but there are a number of similarly defensible high ground perches on other maps.

The rocket turret, on the other hand, needs a bit of love. It doesn't hit much, and the damage is unspectacular given the low rate of fire.
Live Open Beta gameplay and commentary on twitch.tv/Tezkat...

More HAWKEN gameplay videos at Mech.TV.

#28 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 14 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostAC273, on November 14 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

The MG turret is PERFECT right now.   It was absolutely useless before.   I actually witnessed a few kills due to the turret.   That is the purpose of it... if it can't kill anything, then what is the point.

I think it just looks so good because the rocket launcher is so crappy.
It should give you supplemental fire that gives you an edge when used in combination with your main guns.
Right now the MG Turret rips though armor at nearly 100 per second, and can cut a A-class mechs health in half in the space of a few seconds all by itself. A MG turret does nearly half the work of killing a mech for you, and you don't have to aim, fire or do anything besides deploy it (and don't tell me that trying to place it takes a great amount of skill, because it really doesn't).
When placed properly (and even without glitching), I've had turrets last for 10 minutes or more, while helping deny vital areas.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, November 14 2012 - 08:47 PM.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#29 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostBRASH, on November 14 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Posted Image

It's a turret, it ought to be fairly powerful. While I think their armor and accuracy could (not should) take a slight hit, I'm comfortable with their place in battle.
Missile turrets, on the other hand, need a serious buff.

EDIT: I suppose they do need a radar signature....

Edited by marshalade, November 14 2012 - 08:26 PM.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#30 nonsiccus

nonsiccus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:29 PM

View Postdefekt, on November 14 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

I don't think it's OP either.  With only a smidgen of adaptation, using one of several options, they are 100% circumventable.

Two turrets placed behind a typical spawn point that's out of the way of regular traffic. Have fun.
EOC Infiltrator

#hawkenscrim @ irc.quakenet.org - find ringers and scrims at the competitive level

http://youtube.com/vrts for gameplay footage

#31 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:44 PM

View Postmarshalade, on November 14 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

EDIT: I suppose they do need a radar signature....

This is what needs to happen. So bad. I would even be ok if just looks like a normal enemy blip (although i would prefer it if it had its own unique blip), just give us some indication.
Posted Image

#32 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 15 2012 - 12:43 AM

The MG turret does too much damage, particularly when you consider the other items in the slot it sits in, ease of use, and sustainability

The MG turret will track for you
It will do as much damage as a HE grenade before it dies, guaranteed, because it takes quite a bit of damage to kill it
It will stick around forever (unless killed of course)
It has infinite damage potential as a result of its lifespan

I hope the unnecessary (and, from what I've read in this thread, possibly unintentional) buff gets reversed. The MG was a great spotting tool, harassment device and defensive weapon
Now it's a portable vulcan with amazing range and health that rivals a base A mech

Edited by Beemann, November 15 2012 - 12:43 AM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#33 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 15 2012 - 01:38 AM

There is always something that you won't like. Especially turret items. If you are having trouble 1v1 a guy sitting at S3 with a turret in the corner the trouble isn't the turret is too strong but you aren't using your items to counter his or you aren't co-oping with the team to take out the slacker sitting on the silo. This is kinda the same fault in complaining about the Vulcan. It's not that they are OP, yes both are very strong in their strengths but also awfully rough on the repercussions, but you are putting yourself in a position where the enemy has an advantage. Whenever I hear a turret and/or Vulcan I cut the nearest corner to use cover and put distance between myself and the target. Just don't stand in the fire dammit.

Posted Image

#34 Stummer_Schrei

Stummer_Schrei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted November 15 2012 - 01:44 AM

guys, the turret is op on deathmatch, i always end up 20 kills to 0-5 deaths with a turret guarding my ass

#35 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 02:40 AM

View Postnonsiccus, on November 14 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

View Postdefekt, on November 14 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

I don't think it's OP either.  With only a smidgen of adaptation, using one of several options, they are 100% circumventable.
Two turrets placed behind a typical spawn point that's out of the way of regular traffic. Have fun.
What you’ve done there is construct a straw man argument.  That would be the fault of the spawn system abuse, not MG turrets.

#36 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted November 15 2012 - 02:42 AM

Absolutely no chance that they are OP. just that some players don't know how to handle them.

They do pathetic damage, when I hear one shooting at me (as a B class) I have more than enough time to stop, look around casually, find the offending turret and shoot it down before it even gets me down 1/3 health.

The only real use of them at the moment is to harass people from multiple angles. It is rare that any turret lasts longer than the mech that dropped it. I honestly cant believe that they claim as many kills as people say they do.

If anything I reckon they need to cause MORE damage!
Posted Image

#37 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 02:52 AM

View PostBeemann, on November 15 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

Now it's a portable vulcan with amazing range and health that rivals a base A mech
Whilst I agree that its sustained damage might be a tad on the hot side, to assert that it is comparable with a base A-class in terms of effectiveness is nothing short of alarmist tosh.

Suggestions:-
- Shave 20% off MG turret DPS, be that through ROF reduction or by enforcing periodic cooldowns (1 second cooling for every 4 spent firing).
- Give a unique, hostile radar signature for all turrets.
- Make the Rocket turret fire low yield, proximity airburst rockets.

Edited by defekt, November 15 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#38 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 15 2012 - 03:12 AM

Anyone who sits in turret fire deserves to die in turret fire. The end.

Posted Image

#39 nonsiccus

nonsiccus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:33 AM

View Postdefekt, on November 15 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

What you’ve done there is construct a straw man argument.  That would be the fault of the spawn system abuse, not MG turrets.

You're very quick to dismiss the scenario. It illustrates the fact that with "strategic" placement, the turret can autonomously kill (or come close to) multiple enemies without any supervision of the people deploying them. Multiple turrets deployed in tandem compound this issue.

Even if it is an abuse of the spawn system as you say, it is still the only weapon (type) that can do this.
EOC Infiltrator

#hawkenscrim @ irc.quakenet.org - find ringers and scrims at the competitive level

http://youtube.com/vrts for gameplay footage

#40 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:47 AM

I've never seen one last more than two seconds, so I never noticed any damage.

I've never seen them as more than an annoyance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users