HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Two questionable changes in CB3 and two more.

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#21 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 21 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostRaxaphan, on November 21 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

This game it's all about DM now, in every mode you play.

This.

I play TDM to day, It is NUKE TOWN OF HAWKEN. CB3 changes retarded this game too much.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#22 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 09:48 AM

Reducing the number of items you can carry will serve only to widen that usage-gap between the 'good' items and the 'not so good' items when it comes to public games, especially DM.  With three slots being available the less effective items still saw a good amount of use.  IMO, only for pre-made matches will the more situational items see any significant use; for pube games very few people will voluntarily take a 'weaker' set even if it actually means 'stronger' from a co-ordinated team standpoint.

Say i blow my load on the first guy i see, i know i wont be able to use them again until i die. The old system "punishes" you for staying alive. And when that load is 2x HE, 1 EMP and 2x Shields, it's starts becoming really temting to just immolate yourself to get your stuff back.
I see this from a different perspective: rather than it punishing the strong it gives the weak a fighting chance.

I'm not onboard with item regeneration and to be honest I fail to see the sensible driving logic behind this decision.  In CB2 finite item availability acted as a half-way-house counter-measure between the good and the not-so-good players; if you died a lot you at least had the helping hand of being given a fresh set of gear to break through that wall.  Now we see a nearly endless swath of turrets, HE & EMP (regenerating so fast that they're not that far off from being counted as a second, secondary weapon) and shields being laid down.  IMO adding item regeneration was a detrimental move.

I'm trying not to sound melodramatic but thus far, overall, CB3 feels like it has taken a not insignificant step away from being a game that rewards sound tactical play and that is disappointing -- too many games take this route these days -- particularly if these changes herald the start of a new direction in design philosophy.  Resources should require management, be them heat, map collectables, mech build choices or equipment items and good stewardship of these resources should represent the difference between a good team and a not-so-good one.  I'm really not getting that feeling from a number of these CB3 changes.

Edited by defekt, November 21 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#23 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:05 AM

Good thoughts @defekt

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

#24 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:06 AM

View Postdefekt, on November 21 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

pube games

LOL

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#25 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:10 AM

ok, in seriousness, if you want a good argument for why item regen is a good idea, follow the links:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 20 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

If you guys really want to take a look at how to make items more skilled, I'd take a gander at some of NotKjell's amazing posts on the topic.

Edited by Ace4225, November 21 2012 - 10:12 AM.

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#26 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostAce4225, on November 21 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

ok, in seriousness, if you want a good argument for why item regen is a good idea, follow the links:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 20 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

If you guys really want to take a look at how to make items more skilled, I'd take a gander at some of NotKjell's amazing posts on the topic.
And a grand read it was too.  As far as I can see we're both after the same thing, just arguing inward from different directions; a classic debating flanking manoeuvre if you will.  Where (s)he advocates a reworking of the entire ability/item system (unlikely to happen) I'm only asking that we turn off item regen and go back to good old traditional resource management, as was the case in CB2 (slightly more likely to happen).

#27 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:27 AM

I wonder if now that all items recharge, the old MG Turret argument of "But you get one that sticks around!" still flies.

That said, can't judge the MG Turret yet as only one of my classes has it (damn saving for HP for a mech). I do know it fires somewhat slower, which is okay, but I don't quite know the damage. I did find they're paper-thin now and a single TOW will take them out, so really they're barely going to last... but with them being re-placeable after some time, I guess I can accept that.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#28 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 21 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 21 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

I wonder if now that all items recharge, the old MG Turret argument of "But you get one that sticks around!" still flies.

That said, can't judge the MG Turret yet as only one of my classes has it (damn saving for HP for a mech). I do know it fires somewhat slower, which is okay, but I don't quite know the damage. I did find they're paper-thin now and a single TOW will take them out, so really they're barely going to last... but with them being re-placeable after some time, I guess I can accept that.
Their DPS got nerfed a lot.
It's still useful if you use it right, but it's not going to kill anyone on their own unless they're particularly... distracted.
This is a GOOD thing by the way.

Honestly, I still think they're more useful than HE charges.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#29 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 21 2012 - 11:11 AM

They're much more balanced this time around, and they DO still have a level of unmatched persistence that removes the need for timing
That said I think the cooldown should start after the turret gets popped, and should be balanced for that situation. It's really not hard for a decent player to get good mileage out of a turret until halfway through the cooldown or more. It's no fun fighting someone who basically has a second item ready to go once you get rid of the first one
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#30 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 21 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 21 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

It's still useful if you use it right, but it's not going to kill anyone on their own unless they're particularly... distracted.
...Not that it would do that before... Once again, I almost never got killed by turrets, because you'd have to be pretty damn blind or distracted to even seriously be hurt by them.

Now I'm pretty much never going to be killed by them if I've got a halfway-decent line of sight, especially since I can make it crumple in one shot.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 21 2012 - 11:19 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#31 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 21 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostBeemann, on November 21 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

They're much more balanced this time around, and they DO still have a level of unmatched persistence that removes the need for timing
That said I think the cooldown should start after the turret gets popped, and should be balanced for that situation. It's really not hard for a decent player to get good mileage out of a turret until halfway through the cooldown or more. It's no fun fighting someone who basically has a second item ready to go once you get rid of the first one
Pretty much.
Unless I'm placing an emergency turret to cover my ass in a retreat, my cooldown is always done by the time the turret gets destroyed.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#32 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 21 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 21 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 21 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

...Not that it would do that before... Once again, I almost never got killed by turrets, because you'd have to be pretty damn blind or distracted to even seriously be hurt by them.
But it sure was easy as hell to have a turret do at least a 1/3 of the damage for you. Which was incredibly ridiculous.

AJK is right

#33 Thrull

Thrull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostHipnox, on November 21 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

All they need to do is place EMP on the offensive slot and it's perfect.

This seems like a no-brainer.  It's clearly an offensive item, and this might actually tempt people away from their machine gun turrets.

#34 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 21 2012 - 11:58 AM

I ask you now, what items you choose, since CB3 we only have a choice of two slots instead of three:

I always have now: EMP and MG-Turret or HE.

The rest since CB3 i completely ignore.

In CB2 always had something that worked for my team, even in the two slots.sometimes.

Edited by KaszaWspraju, November 21 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#35 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostKaszaWspraju, on November 21 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I ask you now, what items you choose, since CB3 we only have a choice of two slots instead of three:

I always have now: EMP and MG-Turret or HE.

The rest since CB3 i completely ignore.

In CB2 always had something that worked for my team, even in the two slots.sometimes.

pretty much the same here.
"The World is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind"

H.P. Lovecraft

#36 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:14 PM

it seems to me an easy fix would simply be to nerf the AOE of the EMP. [and the duration of effect a little]

I.E. make it a direct-hit-only, like the HE Charge [ish]. That would mean it would no longer be effective against multiple enemies, but if it has a cooldown, [which is fine considering the other items aren't so bad] I think it's a fair tradeoff.

since the MG turret only takes one TOW to kill now [whereas before it was ~ 2 TOWs and a bit of primary fire] I'm hardly if ever threatened by it.

Edited by Ace4225, November 21 2012 - 01:19 PM.

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#37 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:28 PM

It's not about nerf EMP but the developers have created a situation such as by limiting slots and regenerate items.

#38 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:43 PM

limiting slots was a good change imho.

In CB2, a lot of players would just drop 2 or 3 items in one spot in a panic and waste them. Now, I haven't seen that happen at all; people are thinking through item use more, which I think was the devs' desired outcome.

And nerfing the EMP could satisfy the same ends as removing cooldowns; why the heck should we sacrifice a decent change for one OP item_ simple solution: Nerf the OP item.

Just like they did with the MG turret.

Edited by Ace4225, November 21 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Posted Image
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#39 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:54 PM

people are thinking through item use more

Why do you have to think, just wait for the next set items. I think, we just have to think more when items are one-off.

Two different views of the same problem.  I like this forum. :D

Edited by KaszaWspraju, November 21 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#40 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostKaszaWspraju, on November 21 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

people are thinking through item use more

Why do you have to think, just wait for the next set items. I think, we just have to think more when items are one-off.

Two different views of the same problem.  I like this forum. :D
Damn this 'Like' quota.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

y of their respective owners.

Privacy Policy | Cross Domain Policy | End User License Agreement | Rules of Conduct | Naming Policy | Press Enquiries