HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Get Rid of the Seeker

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:04 PM

Homing missiles that's sole requirement to lock is to be able to aim in the general direction of your target.
How could these possibly seem like a good idea_

The skill ceiling on the Seeker is ridiculously low, and being able to use the Rocketeer effectively is stupid easy. I mean, I've got a fever of 101 and am drugged up with cold medications, but I can still place first using the damn thing because being able to aim isn't too important.

For a weapon that takes so very little skill, it's way to damn effective.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#2 Etan

Etan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMInnesota

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:11 PM

Did you  stream any of your use of this weapon cause i was playing with you often and yeap its broken
Posted Image

#3 -Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:11 PM

I wasn't doing too well in a match and about 5 minutes in I switched to the Rocketeer. I placed 2nd, barely aiming, with the Seeker and Hellfire Missiles. It feels very op. I was wondering if someone else had noticed this... guess I'm not alone lol.

#4 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:13 PM

I've only gone up against it once thankfully but it did indeed surprise me cause I couldn't dodge them and i ate quite a few to the face, I think the way around it it to out range them because there pretty damn slow.

#5 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:14 PM

I think the Seeker should become what the EOC is, and have the EOC turn into a completely different weapon. Giving the Rocketeer the ability to fire a wall of missiles by turning its primary into a salvo launcher is way cooler than... another homing missile launcher.

#6 Saunders

Saunders

Game Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:25 PM

That's why we do these open betas - to get TONS of data and make good decisions with it :D

Yeah, it probably does a bit too much damage.  It's also super hard to see the missiles coming at you, so you aren't able to make a good decision about when to flee (if at all).  It's a combination of things.  We're playing with slightly different values in our internal builds, so expect tweaks; maybe even as early as tomorrow.

I don't have a problem with having noob weapons by the way.  Especially if skilled players know how to counter it.  Ultimately, we want plenty of weapons that can accommodate a wide variety of player skill & game choice.  Player skill always wins.

On the flip side the seeker also generates quite a bit of heat.  I'm able to destroy most rocketeers at close range by simply dodging, even as other Heavy Mechs.

Do you have other suggestions to make it more fun but less OP_
David Saunders | Game Designer on HAWKEN @ Adhesive Games

#7 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostSaunders, on November 20 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

Half Life rockets. I don't know about not opness, but those things are way too darn fun.

Edited by D20Face, November 20 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#8 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostD20Face, on November 20 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Half Life rockets. I don't know about not opness, but those things are way too darn fun.

Second.

Edited by HugeGuts, November 20 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#9 Sincereless

Sincereless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationThe Future

Posted November 20 2012 - 08:45 PM

I believe with this recent Patch 3.0 the importance of attack ranges plays a bigger role. Don't stand next to the big mech with tons of missiles. Which is why the patch spoke of increased fuel gauges. However this doesn't change much seeing how the slow big mechs are just as fast and the fast small mechs are dramatically slow. I have the numbers up on a thread of mine I just posted in the suggestions. Be sure to vote.
http://community.pla...atch-30/unread/

His name is Barack Obama, and probably approves this message...

#10 Ace4225

Ace4225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMission Control

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:06 PM

Give it a faster travel speed, but cut its damage a little. Right now, it's easy to aim, and does so much damage, I practically don't even need to use the Hellfires with it.

Giving it a faster travel speed would make it a little more accurate; since the lock-on is instant, that shouldn't matter.

Posted Image
US East    -Brawler   -Berserker   -Scout   -Assault
---->[ =./\.= ]<----

#11 Dackstrus

Dackstrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationKami's Lookout

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:17 PM

On the flip side the seeker also generates quite a bit of heat.  I'm able to destroy most rocketeers at close range by simply dodging, even as other Heavy Mechs.

No it does'nt, I can fire forever and never care. It needs to generate more heat, Or be salvo loaded like EDC, with reduced damage. Keep the lock on.

I'd also like a massive slash mild damage plasma ball thing. That would charge like Heat. but i'm just dreaming at that point.
One should always know better...
I don't speak often. But when I do...
Vanguard: Fat@$$
Berserker: Drammel
R.I.P. Assault of Alpha 2: Popo The Black

#12 Ruzhyo

Ruzhyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostHugeGuts, on November 20 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

View PostD20Face, on November 20 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Second.
Thirded. Giant laser pointer of death!

Posted Image

#13 NotAnExit

NotAnExit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'm still doing the download at work (got the two home boxes up, but well, I'm here...).  Does it give a "lock on" heads up when you are about to be fired upon_

#14 Sugarrnspice

Sugarrnspice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 09:55 PM

i hate the Seeker i really do. Ive gotten used to pwning face with the heat cannon, this just feels pathetic. C class is easily the weakest mech overall, due to speed/hitbox/gas usage ratio. That said, my ability to stay out of danger only attacking in bursts was the only saving-factor of the bigger mech. I know using cover is obviously still a large part of the game, but our long range super precise, instant burst of damage just got replaced by a low damage, high heat, slow, self damaging, high facetime weapon with unattractive lockon mechanics. My ability to move in this game requires me to not look at the enemy all the time, which, for short bursts, is impossible if i also want to fire with the seeker. The length of time per 10 seconds that i have to be vulnerable to do equal  damage with the seeker is easily 5X greater than heat cannon. and that is why i hate the seeker.

#15 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:02 PM

@NotAnExit: I don't think it does. I might be wrong though, but seeing as all the rocketeers I've battled against spam both guns at the same time it is kinda hard to tell.

I think the seeker is a great gun, and actually would like to see its damage increased, however I think it could do with a rate of fire reduction and increased heat generation to take the edge off it a bit. Not a huge change though guys- not like what happened to the poor Vulcan.

Edited by Nitris, November 20 2012 - 10:03 PM.

Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#16 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:14 PM

View PostNitris, on November 20 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

@NotAnExit: I don't think it does. I might be wrong though, but seeing as all the rocketeers I've battled against spam both guns at the same time it is kinda hard to tell.
Seeker does not give a heads up.

Make it act like an actual TOW (not a Hawken TOW). Meaning you have to keep your crosshairs on the target if you want the missiles to hit.
Also either lower the damage, RoF, or increase the heat gen a bit. Right now it's too much at once.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#17 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:28 PM

The rate of fire is pretty high, also maybe it could have a timed life_ not sure if thats a thing already but it could only be out for like 5-15 seconds before exploding itself_

not sure how to balance it more but a classes usually dont have problems with them.

#18 NotAnExit

NotAnExit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostNitris, on November 20 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 20 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

Seeker does not give a heads up.

That's definitely an issue, then.  I've always thought the lock-on awareness was underutilized anyhow (I mean, really, you built a super cool HUD skull blinkie with noise for use against a single weapon_).

#19 RipperT

RipperT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationEarth, last time I checked

Posted November 20 2012 - 10:45 PM

The weapon could be set to one missle per click instead of just holding down the mouse button for spam sandwich. You could also make it similar to the heat cannon and hold down the button for a three round burst.

The lock cycle could be set to expire/burnout after a half second or so and switch to dumbfire mode.

Also, I agree that the heat factor could be slightly increased.

Edited by RipperT, November 20 2012 - 11:05 PM.

#20 -Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:13 PM

How about a low turn rate, after which it loses lock_ Or if that's already the case, a lower turn rate before it loses lock. Maybe something like 3° to 5° or something_ That and maybe a little lower damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users