• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Brooklyn77

Brooklyn77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I always wated to use holograms but they just suck. You can always tell one. I suggest the following:

Programable hologram, here are some examples:

1- a hologram that dodges left to right from point A to point B

2-a hologram that has a programable path, think of it like setting some way points like in Starcraft where a unit comes out of it's base and follows a set of points (this would be great for a pred, he can sit back and create all sorts of diversions and have the hologram run around an AA like on Origin or Eco) Any mech can use this

3- Select the type of mech that is moving around (a scount can release a hologram that runs around but is a Incinerator or tech) Everyone chases a tech so this would be great

This would make the Hologram more fun and players would spend HC/real currency on it

Another thing you could do is have different levels of it, so the tier 3 one you can choose which mech you wanted as a hologram but tier 2 only moves around as the mech you play, tier 1 it just slides from left to right like you're dodging an attack.

In the middle of a fight this would confuse the hell out of me briefly.

-Dat aimbot tho-

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts
  1. about as useful as the current holo
  2. the right idea, but a bit too much input, would require an entirely new menu in the garage and given how cluttered things are already, not really desirable from a UI or programming perspective
  3. similar to two, but I guess the menus are already there in the form of the F1-4 from Bot Destruction. hmm, could work

#2 could easily be tweaked as thus: you use the holo and it begins projecting. It moves around and fires according to bot AI in a general loop or area around the holo. No damage is done and reasonably, you should probably also restrict the visual explosions of TOWs and other AOE weapons as a further tip-off to the fakeness and to avoid putting EVEN MORE particles in an already unoptimized game. If the holo follows a pilot outside that area, it resets from the holo location. Holoprojector becomes destructible.

Having quality tiers for certain items doesn't really work as new users will get confused as to which give quantity and which give quality.

#2 and the tweaks above could be cool, though, and provide a medium level of interaction while staying with item quantities. Also, testing may reveal that you'd have to set holos as only one out at a time. 

• Nov8tr likes this

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
I think this was mentioned before on the old forums, too. The current holograms are pretty effective from a distance, but only for certain mechs and in certain matches. Higher level players never stand still, so it's a dead giveaway, and if a mech doesn't have the hit "click" when shot at you know it's a holo.

Only thing to moving holos is they could be too distracting (spammable) if there are a lot out, it would be pretty annoying, and I could see it being overused and thus potentially OP. Imagine a match with multiple fast moving scout players placing holos in a specific location, and all of the holos moving as you try to kill the real mechs. I'm not saying it's a bad idea tho, just that there should be something to offset it's potential power. Perhaps they should probably have a finite lifespan and maybe a destroyable "projector." I don't think they should be too complex to use or deploy, tho. Maybe two types is enough: random movement within a radius (perhaps set by holding the deploy button down and aiming so the projector could be set away from the holo), and a type that could be another mech but requires the projector to move and be directly beneath the hologram (also destroyable with a low health pool).

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

1. about as useful as the current holo
  2. the right idea, but a bit too much input, would require an entirely new menu in the garage and given how cluttered things are already, not really desirable from a UI or programming perspective
  3. similar to two, but I guess the menus are already there in the form of the F1-4 from Bot Destruction. hmm, could work

#2 could easily be tweaked as thus: you use the holo and it begins projecting. It moves around and fires according to bot AI in a general loop or area around the holo. No damage is done and reasonably, you should probably also restrict the visual explosions of TOWs and other AOE weapons as a further tip-off to the fakeness and to avoid putting EVEN MORE particles in an already unoptimized game. If the holo follows a pilot outside that area, it resets from the holo location. Holoprojector becomes destructible.

Having quality tiers for certain items doesn't really work as new users will get confused as to which give quantity and which give quality.

#2 and the tweaks above could be cool, though, and provide a medium level of interaction while staying with item quantities. Also, testing may reveal that you'd have to set holos as only one out at a time. 

How about this:

For #2, it'd be like using the detonator, where you have to press it again to activate the mid-air detonation.  However, for this, it would be to mark where the hologram begins and then press the button again to have the hologram head to.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

How about this:

For #2, it'd be like using the detonator, where you have to press it again to activate the mid-air detonation.  However, for this, it would be to mark where the hologram begins and then press the button again to have the hologram head to.

Hmm, yeah, actually. And while we're at it, I'm going to steal an idea from AJK and suggest sharing a mechanic from a Hellfire rework - laser-guiding. Hellfire's alt is no longer a lock-on, but rather a laser-pointer that let's you guide hellfire after firing them. You can use the same idea to trace a path for the holo.

Brooklyn77

Brooklyn77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

How about this:

Yeah thats the way I was thinking it could work. Anything can be OP if you figure out a good way to use it FYI.

-Dat aimbot tho-

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Suggestion: damageable holos. Holograms move according to a very basic AI. It shoots, dodges, boosts and all, but the shots do no damage, and the holo is only 1/5 the health of the initial mech. Once the health is gone, the holo is gone. This ensures that should the enemy team find it confusing, they can neutralize it, but still forces them into wasting some shots.

Essentially it's a turret but instead of dealing damage it deals a distraction.

• WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and JackVandal like this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Holo that has a radar signature and 1 more holo per MK (i.e. 2 holos, 3 holos, 4 holos)

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

BariumBlue

BariumBlue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

As a hologram user, the best, smallest change:

more holograms/slot

shorter holo lifetime

I use them to gain a temporary, situational advantage, a false positive of me {repairing, waiting for a poke} can give me a great position from which to attack, see their radar signature, or just run away/reposition.

As such, I really only ever need them for 1-10 seconds. And since the amount I have is so limited, I have to save them for very reliable, strategic opportunities, rather than being able to use them tactically or for riskier opportunities.

Long lived holos are really only good for introducing noise to enemy's environment and as cover for hellfires. Pretty useless, really.

-----------------------------------

As a side, the lack of holos on the battlefield means that plan "look like a hologram" has never worked  :pinch:

Edited by BariumBlue, 14 April 2015 - 10:25 PM.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I like the idea of moving holos. Difficult to implement correctly, yes. I had wondered about having the holos delay a bit and then start mimicking you movements, but that would just crash into a wall and look like a dc all too quickly. Perhaps a radius of movement instead?

By radius of movement I mean basic AI for movement, but limited to a certain distance from holo spawn.

Edited by crockrocket, 14 April 2015 - 11:38 PM.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Brooklyn77

Brooklyn77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I like the idea of moving holos. Difficult to implement correctly, yes. I had wondered about having the holos delay a bit and then start mimicking you movements, but that would just crash into a wall and look like a dc all too quickly. Perhaps a radius of movement instead?

By radius of movement I mean basic AI for movement, but limited to a certain distance from holo spawn.

A radius of movement would be cool. I'd use them more if they actually did something.

-Dat aimbot tho-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users